Racisms and permanent resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmore081

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

Im fairly new to this site and have done quite a bit of research on all the previous threads on the topics of racism and PR. I've read a couple of different post concerning PR. From my understanding, PR in Australia is based on a point system (100 points for doctors).

1. How likely is it for an international student to obtain PR? ( I am canadian).

2. Without PR is it still possible to continue working in Australia?

3. Does obtaining a residency spot depend on my PR status?

Racisms seems to be a topic that comes up again and again in the threads, but none of the discussions address racisms against african americans. I was wondering if someone could shed some light on how blacks are treated in Australia and perhaps give a percentage of blacks in your current program.

thanks,
L

Members don't see this ad.

I'm Canadian here's my experience.

1. 100 points if you're sponsored 120 if you're not. Points system is the same as in Canada

2. Right not it's easy if you finish your internship. Unfortunately a lot of people don't realise that to get a PR as a doctor in Australia you need the internship. If you leave the country without an internship, you will have to try and find an equivalent way to get an internship.

3. The 457 visa was designed to allow you to stay. That is what most people are using to work without a PR. Some places will give you a blanket 4 year one, whereas others make you renew them every year.

4. Right now it's easy to obtain an internship, but it might be more difficult in the future. You'd be advised to make contacts in rural areas, as they seem to care less about Citizenship, and more about willingness to stay. Most of these places have had bad experiences where people haven't even completed their one year contract, because they can't adjust to living there. Remember we're not talking about Canadian small towns, where you're snowed in 6 months of the year, and you can't go anywhere else. All of these places are well connected to the big cities, if not by road (sometimes a couple hours drive) then at least by relatively cheap flights.

Dude I'm willing to guess that all of the "Canadians" and "Americans" on this forum are really of some other ethnic origin who's parents migrated to Canada/US. It's less common to see "White Caucasian" Canadians coming abroad to do their studies. Most of them seem to have few if any problems, and therefore racism in Australia is about par with most other Western countries. In smaller cities, particularly since you will be a doctor people actually treat you extremely well.

Racism against African Americans is a lot less in Oz then in Canada:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plQpLPy1eao

Last edited:
Keep in mind that you could lose your international student place if you get PR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep in mind that you could lose your international student place if you get PR.

That's not true, based on what Int'l med office at UQ told me, there are new laws in effect that allow Int'l students to keep their seat in the program if they change their immigration status to PR. The only thing that will change at that point is the amount of tuition you will pay as a PR.

Small disclaimer: The above mentioned law may change in future.

I'm African American and have had zero problems with Aussies, only thing is Aussie girls are into black guys big time.:):laugh::love: I have been around the world, and honestly, racism in North America is worse than Western Europe and Australia. I have also been to Germany and people there were wonderful.

That's not true, based on what Int'l med office at UQ told me, there are new laws in effect that allow Int'l students to keep their seat in the program if they change their immigration status to PR. The only thing that will change at that point is the amount of tuition you will pay as a PR.

Small disclaimer: The above mentioned law may change in future.

Would you mind posting some more information about that "new law"? When I talked to the reps from UQ and USyd a few months ago, they warned me that I could be kicked out if I became a PR. If that's not true anymore, then I'll be applying for PR status when I get to Oz.

thanks so much for the information. My fears are now alleviated.

Would you mind posting some more information about that "new law"? When I talked to the reps from UQ and USyd a few months ago, they warned me that I could be kicked out if I became a PR. If that's not true anymore, then I'll be applying for PR status when I get to Oz.

You can call the International med admission's office at UQ. They can give you detailed information about that.

I verbally spoke to them, and their answer was sufficient enough for me. :D

But if that's the case, then A LOT of international students will be applying for PR and if they succeed, UQ will lose a lot of money.

But if that's the case, then A LOT of international students will be applying for PR and if they succeed, UQ will lose a lot of money.

Again, as mentioned in my above post. This law was recently passed and many students are not aware of this. Plus the added fear of losing one's spot inhibits students from applying for a PR status.

Last edited:
Also applying for a PR (with out of country credentials) in most cases requires 2 years work experience. That should make it difficult for most people to get.

If you go to Sydney or Melbourne, you should not have a problem. Australians in other parts of the country though can be different. Thats why so many ethnic people tend to congregate in Melbourne and Sydney. My dad's friend is a GP in Queensland, outside of Brisbane, and he said there are a lot of rednecks there.

Also applying for a PR (with out of country credentials) in most cases requires 2 years work experience. That should make it difficult for most people to get.

So with even one year of internship as a medical graduate you still cannot get an Australian PR? What do they want, a kidney?? I already found out from the Dental faculty that most internationals get PRs pretty easily.

No I think you've gotten confused.

1 year of internship and you can get a PR.

What I was saying is that with your previous N. American (or other) degree you generally need 2 years of work experience to get a PR.

*Note I'm not a migration agent, so this info might be dated*

Australia uses a points based migration system, there is no real racial bias in the selection process. You will meet people of all kinds of backgrounds here. Even in a country area like Queensland.