Racist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SufiPoet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is a quote from a Premedical Book:

"I am talking also to the premed dropout and the unsuccessful applicant: students from minority groups, borderline nonminority students, those with financial problems, women"

Is it just me, or that a bit racist? I don't know the language just got me off guard.

When I was younger, in High School, my father bought a book for me, it was basically letters that premeds sent into this physician, and he addressed their concern and finally added an update. I gained so much from that book, and still have it (I've never been able to find it anywhere online! Shame!). Now I've read that book many times, and recently again to see if there was any sort of racism in that book -- none. The writer was just as idealistic and...non judgmental as I'd pictured in my mind.

Fast forward another 20 years, he published a few updates to his book, I never bought them, but then a new one came out for 2013 and I thought why not? My book was getting a bit used so I wanted to preserve it, I bought a new copy and just....so dated, and a bit racist, a little undermining, and overall a book I would recommend to no one.

For fun, I looked up the doctor that wrote these books, and when I did I found a review about some adult (then child) saying he'd behaved inappropriately with them. Now I'm taking that at that...it's one review and I don't know him or his practice, might've just been a random malicious post.

But like, it's nuts to me how one's perspective can change so radically over the years and just have your vision of someone be so tarnished. Reaffirms my beliefs that role models can never be good as looking up to the person you see yourself becoming.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Life changes you.

For the author of that book, apparently, the changes were for the worse.

For many other people though, these changes are for the better.

As a somewhat older person who has now observed those changes in myself and others, I can only advise that we choose our friends and colleagues carefully so that the changes that occur in us are for the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was there really a colon between the words applicant and students? If so, the writer needs an editor.
Yes, there was. That lead me to believe that he meant that the premed dropout or the unsuccessful applicant IS a minority group, or a woman, ect.

But if you read through the book, it's a bit off in my opinion.

Women? borderline minority students? I don't know. Maybe it is just me.
Hence why context is important. Out of context as you initially quoted it, yeah I can see it. But if you read it in the context of the rest of the sentence it really doesn't come off as insensitive - he's referring to individuals who may be disadvantaged for some reason or other.

Last edited:
Hence why context is important. Out of context as you initially quoted it, yeah I can see it. But if you read it in the context of the rest of the sentence it really doesn't come off as insensitive.
You might be right. I also think it might be best just to post the entire paragraph instead of a link to the guy's book....

Like I said, I don't know the guy, and I certainly don't want to move around things in his life just because of a feeling I had when reading his work.

Yeah. Context is key. Were you trying to start another race-flame war on here? C'mon dawg.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. Context is key. Were you trying to start another race-flame war on here? C'mon dawg.
Nah, didn't mention affirmative action like most of those that have that intention.

Was just talking about a piece of literature I came across.

Absolutely not, especially when read in its proper context. I don't see how anyone could perceive any racist connotation when taken in context.

Reactions: 1 user