Least Racist Cities for Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Because who you are colors your experience. Being white, you have no idea what it feels like to be discriminated against. For you, your experiences are never about race. For everyone else, it is. If you were asian, you would have had the relevant experiences that prejudice you against blacks. If you ever worked in retail, you know that black males make up the vast majority of thieves. If you lived in new york, you would see that the most purse snatching and ipod stealing is committed by blacks. The reactionary behaviors that you are so quick to judge didn't appear in a vacuum.

When did I ever say that I was white? I don't like giving out personal details about myself, but I'm compelled to say that I'm not white and both I and the nonwhite members of my family have experienced racial discrimination.

I did work in retail and most of the thieves were actually white females. Granted, it was a women's store at an upscale mall and a black man would have stuck out like sore thumb. For the record, the Asians who have made racist comments about black people are all middle class or affluent, educated and live in segregated communities where the black population is minuscule.

I never made any comment about the reasons why Asian people might have racist attitudes towards black people and I don't think it's relevant to a discussion about the relative racism that a black male might experience in different parts of the country. I realize that the history of Asians and blacks in the United States is complex. I stand by the fact that multiple Asian people have made racist comments about black people to me and that turning one's bad experiences with one race into a blanket judgment on that race makes for humiliating, alienating experiences like that of the OP.

The OP wanted to know about racial attitudes in different parts of the country. Since other posters seemed to think that California has very little racism, I wanted to correct that assumption, since it's not been my experience. Particularly since the OP is an African American male, he might encounter these anti-black attitudes among Asians in California.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recently moved to New York City from Houston, TX for my gap year job, and the culture shock I encountered has been severe.

New York City is the most racist city I have ever visited (and I have visited alot of cities in America and Europe). Before anyone jumps on me, I want to state that this is from my personal experience--so your experience may be different.

Coming from the South, people down there are racist to an extent, but they don't treat you poorly to your face. My white next door neighbor for nearly a decade was a hardcore racist against black people (I know because I went to school with her daughter from 6th grade until I graduated high school and she would tell me about the racist things her mom said), but whenever I interacted with her, she was always nice and courteous. This was the type of racism I have been exposed to my whole life.

In the south people are racist, but because of let's say "Southern Hospitality", most people are extremely nice and polite to people of all races--regardless of whether or not they have prejudice.

In the north (especially New York City), people are overtly racist. In the two weeks since I have been here, I have experienced more racism than I did in my entire life growing up in Texas.

Before I came to visit in person, I applied to several NYC schools (4 out of 21), but I am 100% certain that I would never want to live here any longer than I have to.

When I was making my list for medical school, I put very little thought into the possibility of discrimination, but now I see it is something I have to be very aware of as an African-American male.

I want to add some schools to AMCAS that are in less racist cities in America.

Could anyone provide recommendations based on their experiences at their own medical schools?

I would really appreciate it!

I'm tempted to say that Boston might be a good place for you. There's a significant Black population here, and many well educated Blacks. Cambridge, MA (right across the river) is where Barack Obama went to law school, and the current location of the well-known Professor Charles Ogletree.

I also happened upon this: http://www.blacknews.com/directory/black_african_american_doctors.shtml , possibly a way to make connections and improve your odds of getting into your preferred specialty.

Last edited:
It will be different for different people. For some people it may not matter, but for me it really does.

I want to walk down the street without feeling like I am constantly being watched for criminal activity.

Bro you are in America, doesn't matter where you go, how cordial you are, or how intelligent you are. People will always assume things because of your physical appearance. As far as Emory, from "personal experiences" I would say avoid applying here. LA seems like a step in the right direction. Maybe someone from socal can chime in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived in Texas and now live in Seattle and I don't see how you could possibly think the north is more racist than the south.

Last edited:
Apparently, the discrimination I experienced are common place occurances for black males.
Even President Obama has faced it:

"But in the most expansive remarks he has made about race since becoming president, Mr. Obama offered three examples of the humiliations borne by young black men in America: being followed while shopping in a department store, hearing the click of car doors locking as they cross a street, or watching as women clutch their purses nervously when they step onto an elevator. The first two experiences, he said, had happened to him."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/u...-on-race-in-america.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&hp

Apparently, the discrimination I experienced are common place occurances for black males.
Even President Obama has faced it:

"But in the most expansive remarks he has made about race since becoming president, Mr. Obama offered three examples of the humiliations borne by young black men in America: being followed while shopping in a department store, hearing the click of car doors locking as they cross a street, or watching as women clutch their purses nervously when they step onto an elevator. The first two experiences, he said, had happened to him."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/u...-on-race-in-america.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&hp

I think I've told this story before on here, but I had black male roommate who liked to shop at Radioshack. He would go there with business clothes on and get great service. But if he went there with sweats or a running suit on, the clerks would follow him around the store watching him as if he were about to steal.

I guess that's upsetting from the perspective of if you didn't know better and saw that happening, one might assume that he was getting treated that way because he was a thief rather than out of prejudice. "Otherwise, why would they treat him like that?"... And just the disrespect and redundancy of those situations.

Since the examples of prejudice so far, are fairly concrete and obvious, I will add a little twist. Below are some types of prejudice that I believe often go undetected.

Subtle prejudice:

In some nice neighborhoods and various office buildings (maybe even classrooms or colleges in some places), security and tenants sometimes really over scrutinize the presence of anyone who doesn't "look" like they belong. This can be used as a playing card by other tenants/colleagues, especially if there's motivation (like a competition for a promotion, competition not to be laid off, any sort of minor conflict). Some people call it "playing dirty," and even take pride in being "tough and fierce," overlooking or not caring about playing the race card. (Subtle because of the justifications: "I'm not prejudice. I had to do it, or I would have been laid off.")

Then there's "sowing seeds of distrust" as depicted in the movie, O (for Othello). The prejudice character here, a coach's son, was motivated by jealousy of the black guy. Instead of doing any one major or obvious act of discrimination or hate (for most of the film) he just kept "sowing the seeds of distrust like johnny appleseed" and successfully manipulated a lot of people one tiny step at a time. The movie explains it better than I do. (The people in the movie were able to be manipulated since they were wary of Othello. Because he was black, they saw him as different. This boils down to whether or not a white* person would have been treated like Othello.)

Using excuses for hateful behavior. Occasionally there is a person or group that truly doesn't want so-and-so in their clubhouse based on race, gender, or something. Since everyone knows that in modern times it's inappropriate to say, "I don't like black people." Then you simply say, "I don't like him," or make up something like, "He shouldn't be in the clubhouse because (fill in the blank) say, he makes messes." Or worse yet, "He's too loud," using a stereotype to add sting or insult to injury. Of course, this involves pretending that the reason for hateful actions is not based on race at all. (This boils down to whether the reason for dislike, etc. is true or not.)

When the people in charge (wherever, at a business, etc.) are aware of these things and consider them when dealing with whomever (say employees, tenants, etc.) then they can usually counteract a good deal of these problems and not be fooled.

If the people in charge do NOT know about these things and are fooled consistently, I suspect that the effects on the victim and maybe even the victim's supporters could be traumatizing, re-traumatizing, or even worse. I suspect that this is especially true in situations where the victim believes that he cannot leave for financial or educational reasons (examples: elementary school, the corporate office, etc.), and is being intimidated or harassed (maybe behind closed doors or only when certain people are present). This is why I speak up here, to raise awareness for anyone who doesn't already know. To prevent this as much as possible in the future.

*I say "white" because in the movie it was white people. Of course, a person of any race can potentially be racially prejudice against any other race. And of course, people who are racial minorities are sometimes prejudice of LGBT people, other religions, etc. Being a minority doesn't necessarily stop someone from hating other minorities.

Last edited:
Hey, man, not sure if you still need advice, but I was actually born and raised in NYC. It's a very, very culturally and economically stratified city and oftentimes, diversity just strikes me as a mere external illusion. I'm from the outer-boroughs, so my experience is a little different. I don't think NYC is an overtly racist city, per se. but people will ascribe judgement upon you quite quickly.

And let me be the first to say that it won't be solely white people you expect this behavior from... there is a lot of ignorance throughout the city, so you're just as likely to be treated with suspicion from an Indian or Hispanic as a white person. I actually had a South Asian dude lock the doors in a grocery store on myself and two other hispanic guys once because he thought we robbed his store a month ago. It took a lot of restraint to not to just knock that man the f*** out. However, there are honestly so many people in this city that it's hard for me to really depict a particular racial group as discriminatory to black people... for every person who I've had a bad experience, I've met a decent, polite person of that race. If you decide to attend school out here, though, you just have to keep your guard up in expectation that it may happen, and react accordingly. I can probably count on my fingers, though, blatant racist things that have happened to me living here, aside from the some white girls having the fear of God struck in them when they see anyone with melanin, but that's on them... don't let that affect you.

NYC is still a great place to be, though, with a lot to offer -- don't remove a school just cuz of some negative experiences.

EDIT -- I just wanted to make note that 'restraint' was not in a physical sense, but more so the frustrating feelings that undoubtedly stir up when one has to to encounter such experiences.

Last edited:
I actually had a South Asian dude lock the doors in a grocery store on myself and two other hispanic guys once because he thought we robbed his store a month ago. It took a lot of restraint to not to just knock that man the f*** out.

i wonder why he was suspicious of your motives when you sound like such an upstanding citizen

i wonder why he was suspicious of your motives when you sound like such an upstanding citizen

You're totally right! Surely I should've been honored and grateful to be racially profiled for no apparent reason.

EDIT -- I just wanted to make note that 'restraint' was not in a physical sense, but more so the frustrating feelings that undoubtedly stir up when one has to to encounter such experiences.

Last edited:

Statistically speaking, the vast majority of child predators are white men.

Would you advise parents to keep their children away from white men?

that's what I was thinking. If you even laid one finger on the guy, you'd be supporting his suspicions :(

Thankfully, you know that violence would never come close to the answer and just walk away :)

no i wouldn't but they already do
have a white male walk through a playground and see the looks of suspicion he gets

Yes, all strangers.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^ I wonder if you guys understand the point he's trying to convey with that analogy. In most contexts within American society, you're far less likely to be subject to preconceived stigmas based on your skin color if you're white. This is the very epitome of 'white privilege.' The average white person doesn't have to be worried about being profiled as a gun-toting religious fanatic, pedophile, white-collar thief, etc in *most* contexts even though statistically, they do comprise the bulk of that population... yet many people of color are lumped into some kind of monolith that is largely dictated by perceptions and representations that are not their own.

^^ I wonder if you guys understand the point he's trying to convey with that analogy. In most contexts within American society, you're far less likely to be subject to preconceived stigmas based on your skin color if you're white. This is the very epitome of 'white privilege.' The average white person doesn't have to be worried about being profiled as a gun-toting religious fanatic, pedophile, white-collar thief, etc in *most* contexts even though statistically, they do comprise the bulk of that population... yet many people of color are lumped into some kind of monolith that is largely dictated by perceptions and representations that are not their own.

This would support the idea that if he wants to minimize those problems, a city with a large black population, including educated blacks would be ideal. Personal experience tells me Boston is good. I'm not sure about Philadelphia or Chicago, but suspect they might also be worthwhile. If I were him, I would also reach out to some black pre-med or doctor networks and ask for recommendations. SDN is also an appropriate place for the question.

WP

Wikipedia put it well: "White privilege (or white skin privilege) refers to the set of societal privileges that white people are argued to benefit from beyond those commonly experienced by people of color in the same social, political, or economic spaces (nation, community, workplace, income, etc.).[note 1] The term denotes both obvious and less obvious unspoken advantages that white individuals may not recognize they have, which distinguishes it from overt bias or prejudice.[1] These include cultural affirmations of one's own worth; greater presumed social status; and freedom to move, buy, work, play, and speak freely.[2] The concept of white privilege also implies the right to assume the universality of one's own experiences, marking others as different or exceptional while perceiving oneself as normal."

To no fault of anyone on SDN:

-Heros in movies (usually white men),
-the voice of authority on commercials (white guy),
-halloween costumes (easier to find if your white, as famous people/characters are),
-the majority in desirable places: some white people are uncomfortable being the only white person on a black bus/bar/neighborhood and racial minorities sometimes feel the same in the corporate office,
-in children's games ("you can't be the hero because the hero's white or a guy and you're not")
-"being a minority is like having unearned enemies",
-"being white means not having to think about it" -James Baldwin,... it goes on and on.

Last edited:
NYC is the one of the most diverse places in the world, the UES being a major exception.

NYC is the one of the most diverse places in the world, the UES being a major exception.

If you are in bar that plays Journey's Don't Stop Believing, it might not be so URM friendly. That's what I learned about NYC. The bars that played Journey definitely lacked melanin.

If you are in bar that plays Journey's Don't Stop Believing, it might not be so URM friendly. That's what I learned about NYC. The bars that played Journey definitely lacked melanin.

That's hilarious because I'm a huge Journey fan. :laugh:

That's hilarious because I'm a huge Journey fan. :laugh:

I've never felt more out of place than when all the white people started singing Don't Stop Believing in unison. It's like the Sweet Caroline of NYC.

This is sadly the most intelligent and world-aware comment in this tread. Thank you, per usual, Arbor.

Demographics of American rock music fans in 1970's: Mostly white? That's my best guess as to why those bars would lack melanin. Btw, Journey had an Asian vocalist...

Arbor Vitae: Maybe La Presse was the unfriendly person at the Journey concert, lol! I will warn that Sweet Caroline is a big hit at Red Sox games too!

Last edited: