You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted573262
Academic departments holding on hiring new attendings. But, rest assured, depts will SOAP to fill all spots next March. This is a dangerous dichotomy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
RO may be essential service but if current radiation oncologists can provide this service, then no need to hire new folks. In particular, to preserve income of current radiation oncologists, holding off on hiring would be preferred, which is what we are seeing.
We are also discussing COVID impact in past tense, as if cases and deaths will continue to decline, without second or subsequent waves causing additional disruptions to patient volume, finances, and hiring.
We are also discussing COVID impact in past tense, as if cases and deaths will continue to decline, without second or subsequent waves causing additional disruptions to patient volume, finances, and hiring.
Tangential update re: the earlier posts about people speaking about the ABR and breastfeeding (among other things).
To the surprise of ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, evidently folks are being asked to rescind statements made on public platforms.
In other news, water is wet, the sky is blue, and anonymous posts about Radiation Oncology on SDN remains the main avenue for speaking truth to power.
To the surprise of ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, evidently folks are being asked to rescind statements made on public platforms.
In other news, water is wet, the sky is blue, and anonymous posts about Radiation Oncology on SDN remains the main avenue for speaking truth to power.
Gross.Tangential update re: the earlier posts about people speaking about the ABR and breastfeeding (among other things).
To the surprise of ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, evidently folks are being asked to rescind statements made on public platforms.
In other news, water is wet, the sky is blue, and anonymous posts about Radiation Oncology on SDN remains the main avenue for speaking truth to power.
Tangential update re: the earlier posts about people speaking about the ABR and breastfeeding (among other things).
To the surprise of ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, evidently folks are being asked to rescind statements made on public platforms.
In other news, water is wet, the sky is blue, and anonymous posts about Radiation Oncology on SDN remains the main avenue for speaking truth to power.
let's hear some details playa'
Tangential update re: the earlier posts about people speaking about the ABR and breastfeeding (among other things).
To the surprise of ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, evidently folks are being asked to rescind statements made on public platforms.
In other news, water is wet, the sky is blue, and anonymous posts about Radiation Oncology on SDN remains the main avenue for speaking truth to power.
Academic departments holding on hiring new attendings. But, rest assured, depts will SOAP to fill all spots next March. This is a dangerous dichotomy.
WHAT?!?! You can't be serious. The reaction the ABR took was to ask people to rescind their statements? DON'T DO IT! Unbelievable.
And now with the job market situation, it went from bringing up the problem --> fight Twitterati --> Now it's just "hey, my hospital is not hiring" and rescinded contracts so I think this argument is a done deal.
What @aspiring rapper said is very, very insightful. It says it all, not giving out jobs, but bringing in more applicants... the hypocrisy.
Last edited:
let's hear some details playa'
I'll see what I can scrounge up - this filtered to me through real-life sources so I gotta play it cool and pretend like I don't live on SDN in my spare time...
To all the posters from Twitter who came in here and demanded we give up our anonymity and join the Twitter crowd: This is why we will not. SDN remains the only outlet for inconvenient truths to come to light. Here are a few of them:
- unbridled residency expansion has significantly negatively affected the radonc job market, and will do so unless significant contraction occurs.
- most (not all) academic satellite jobs are the worst of all worlds: paid like an academic doc, but work like a private practice one
- the ABR does not care (at all) about radonc trainees and how their decisions affect their lives.
- hypofractionation/SBRT/APM models are all great for patients and society. They will continue to put negative pressure on the job market as well.
- unbridled residency expansion has significantly negatively affected the radonc job market, and will do so unless significant contraction occurs.
- most (not all) academic satellite jobs are the worst of all worlds: paid like an academic doc, but work like a private practice one
- the ABR does not care (at all) about radonc trainees and how their decisions affect their lives.
- hypofractionation/SBRT/APM models are all great for patients and society. They will continue to put negative pressure on the job market as well.
Another inconvenient truth as to why I value anonymity:
- speaking out publicly can lead to academic docs losing their jobs.
THE STRUGGLE IS REAL
- speaking out publicly can lead to academic docs losing their jobs.
I'll see what I can scrounge up - this filtered to me through real-life sources so I gotta play it cool and pretend like I don't live on SDN in my spare time...
THE STRUGGLE IS REAL
D
deleted941485
I think UPMC is trash (see prior posts), but multiple rumors/sources say that the PGY-5 female you are mentioning was a garbage resident. Wasn't about her sex
Even if you don’t believe that story, there’s definitely something rotten there. I got a whiff of it many years back. The difference between now and then is that RO suffered a massive blow to prestige and outlook.
So now that there’s no carrot on the end of that **** stick that is residency. Why bother? You might as well expose them for what they are because they have literally less than nothing to hold over you.
Yeah we need some details. And I haven't seen any of those tweets deleted. Wonder if these are the same departments that make their residents join twitter to make positive comments about rad onc.let's hear some details playa'
Yeah we need some details. And I haven't seen any of those tweets deleted. Wonder if these are the same departments that make their residents join twitter to make positive comments about rad onc.
My goodness! Sounds like the Hunger Games. Sending out the young to do their battles.
Dude/Dudette you can't start a rumor like that and not spill deetsTangential update re: the earlier posts about people speaking about the ABR and breastfeeding (among other things).
To the surprise of ABSOLUTELY NO ONE, evidently folks are being asked to rescind statements made on public platforms.
In other news, water is wet, the sky is blue, and anonymous posts about Radiation Oncology on SDN remains the main avenue for speaking truth to power.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dude/Dudette you can't start a rumor like that and not spill deets
I have been given the details. It is bad- super bad. I will not yet share, as it's not confirmed, and (more importantly), I do not want anyone without power to have their careers adversely affected.
This "rumor" is spreading quickly by many avenues. It's going to be widely known in a short amount of time. Based on what I've heard, kudos to KO for doing the right thing on this one.
WTF.....is happening.....?
Eerie.
Eerie.
is this like that one time a Storm Trooper watched that guy die and he was like aw hell no Kylo Ren and then BAM he was a good guykudos to KO for doing the right thing on this one
Let's baselessly speculate in the meantime. I'll start. ABR lawyers (they've been busy) sent a threatening letter to the doc in question.
Let's baselessly speculate in the meantime. I'll start. ABR lawyers (they've been busy) sent a threatening letter to the doc in question.
That would have been the more professional way to do it, that's for sure
Now we're getting somewhere.That would have been the more professional way to do it, that's for sure
She was the past Chair of the ARRO Executive Committee.
This will end well for the ABR.
is this like that one time a Storm Trooper watched that guy die and he was like aw hell no Kylo Ren and then BAM he was a good guy
Let's baselessly speculate in the meantime. I'll start. ABR lawyers (they've been busy) sent a threatening letter to the doc in question.
Didn't that storm trooper and his buddies also ruin possibly the most beloved movie franchise of all time? ABR lawyers? Was it just me or wasn't there a Emperor Wallner pic somewhere on this forum?
Life imitating art I suppose...
Last edited:
D
deleted774703
That would have been the more professional way to do it, that's for sure
The suspense is killing me!
The suspense is killing me!
Speaking of...Now that he’s more established, Once chirag shah gets involved It’s when ppl listen
Hope our “leaders” finally notice
D
deleted605854
The suspense is killing me!
Same. Years of binge watching Netflix shows ruined my patience. I need to know what happens next!
D
deleted774703
You’re killing us! What happened to finding out shortly 😛
We all binged watched Ozark in 24 hours haha. No patience now
Who sent the emails, is it a lawyer (the smart way) or was an ABR higher up dumb enough to threaten someone in writing? We all read Paul Wallner’s “professionalism” in his rude arrogant dismissive replies to residents. Sometimes all you have to do is give people a microphone.
this will get out soon enough in the forms of screenshots. you just wait.
this will get out soon enough in the forms of screenshots. you just wait.
I have been given the details. It is bad- super bad. I will not yet share, as it's not confirmed, and (more importantly), I do not want anyone without power to have their careers adversely affected.
I totally agree with OTN on this one - I hadn't heard the details when I made my initial post.
Hopefully we can get some screenshots - I feel like @thecarbonionangle knows what's up.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wallner is going to be roasted over this. He has totally overplayed his hand.
It's going to be so delightful to watch him be forced to issue an apology and resign in disgrace. He should really get more than that. As in disciplinary action from the state medical board. It was that bad.
The ABR is a totally corrupt racket that resorts to bullying and intimidation to keep everyone in line. They are a relic and an example of everything that was wrong with medicine 40 years ago when women could be flat out told not to get pregnant during residency or they would be fired and that was totally fine. Wallner is an anachronism from that era.
Pregnancy is not a free pass to having every rule bent however you want. No, you shouldn't be automatically permitted to do fewer months of training because you were pregnant during residency. Everybody should have the same amount of training. But that's not what we're talking about here. Not even close.
It's going to be so delightful to watch him be forced to issue an apology and resign in disgrace. He should really get more than that. As in disciplinary action from the state medical board. It was that bad.
The ABR is a totally corrupt racket that resorts to bullying and intimidation to keep everyone in line. They are a relic and an example of everything that was wrong with medicine 40 years ago when women could be flat out told not to get pregnant during residency or they would be fired and that was totally fine. Wallner is an anachronism from that era.
Pregnancy is not a free pass to having every rule bent however you want. No, you shouldn't be automatically permitted to do fewer months of training because you were pregnant during residency. Everybody should have the same amount of training. But that's not what we're talking about here. Not even close.
So we “know” PW was at the center versus periphery on this thing?Wallner is going to be roasted over this. He has totally overplayed his hand.
It's going to be so delightful to watch him be forced to issue an apology and resign in disgrace. He should really get more than that. As in disciplinary action from the state medical board. It was that bad.
The ABR is a totally corrupt racket that resorts to bullying and intimidation to keep everyone in line. They are a relic and an example of everything that was wrong with medicine 40 years ago when women could be flat out told not to get pregnant during residency or they would be fired and that was totally fine. Wallner is an anachronism from that era.
Pregnancy is not a free pass to having every rule bent however you want. No, you shouldn't be automatically permitted to do fewer months of training because you were pregnant during residency. Everybody should have the same amount of training. But that's not what we're talking about here. Not even close.
So we “know” PW was at the center versus periphery on this thing?
That's the story I got (in real life). If the story is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), there is definitely a digital paper trail that should surface.
D
deleted605854
If what everyone is saying is true then could this be the start of change in the ABR? I don't wanna get my hopes up only for them to be dashed.
If what everyone is saying is true then could this be the start of change in the ABR? I don't wanna get my hopes up only for them to be dashed.
I doubt it. PW needs the ABR more than the ABR needs PW.
If this ain’t it, it won’t ever be.If what everyone is saying is true then could this be the start of change in the ABR? I don't wanna get my hopes up only for them to be dashed.
And if it ain’t, people can’t in good conscience allow themselves to be known as ABR certified.
How to get from that first thing to that second thing though would display a conviction and unity previously totally unseen in our ranks.
It is really interesting seeing all these old white dudes finding it impossible to adjust to the new world order where younger and/or different looking (from them) people will not simply do-or-not do something because you command it as an old white dude.
Might be time for Ralph and Paul to hang em up.
Might be time for Ralph and Paul to hang em up.
I hope the person behind ABRO twitter account has bought the domain name as well. Might be worth something at this time next year.If this ain’t it, it won’t ever be.
And if it ain’t, people can’t in good conscience allow themselves to be known as ABR certified.
How to get from that first thing to that second thing though would display a conviction and unity previously totally unseen in our ranks.
How does the ABR have any legitimacy left for our specialty? It's time for a change.
I hope the person behind ABRO twitter account has bought the domain name as well. Might be worth something at this time next year.
How does the ABR have any legitimacy left for our specialty? It's time for a change.
our brothers down south already beat us to it www.abro.org.br
maybe we can switch over to the Brazilian board and have orals down there.
there is also already an www.abro.com which sells lubricants
Not sure that Brazil is a favored destination right about now.our brothers down south already beat us to it www.abro.org.br
maybe we can switch over to the Brazilian board and have orals down there.
Not sure that Brazil is a favored destination right about now.
can’t be any worst than Lousville or Tuscon. actually worth the trip! But yes sure, wait a bit
Still can’t wait to hear the details. Feel out of the loop.
Though I can say personally Abr was NOT accommodating for pumping at least. I just went with it because who am I? But maybe should have fought it.
Though I can say personally Abr was NOT accommodating for pumping at least. I just went with it because who am I? But maybe should have fought it.
I hope the person behind ABRO twitter account has bought the domain name as well. Might be worth something at this time next year.
How does the ABR have any legitimacy left for our specialty? It's time for a change.
Looks like someone got to it last year!
Domain Name: THEABRO.ORG Registry Domain ID: D402200000009101237-LROR Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com Registrar URL: WHOIS | Lookup Domain Name Availability - GoDaddy Updated Date: 2019-11-23T17:16:00Z Creation Date: 2019-01-27T16:21:07Z Registry Expiry Date: 2029-01-27T16:21:07Z Registrar Registration Expiration Date: Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC Registrar IANA ID: 146 Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected] Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505 Reseller: Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC Registrant State/Province: Arizona Registrant Country: US Name Server: NS33.DOMAINCONTROL.COM Name Server: NS34.DOMAINCONTROL.COM DNSSEC: unsigned URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form | ICANN) >>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2020-06-10T18:34:01Z <<<
Looks like someone got to it last year!
Domain Name: THEABRO.ORG Registry Domain ID: D402200000009101237-LROR Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com Registrar URL:
Ha! I just looked this up. It was made the same time as the Twitter account.
TheABRO, I strongly suspecting you're reading this... any interest in giving up this account if the board become legitimate? I have $10 burning a hole in my pocket!
And it's registered with someone/something in Arizona (480 area code), also the HQ of the real ABR (Tucson of course).Looks like someone got to it last year!
Domain Name: THEABRO.ORG Registry Domain ID: D402200000009101237-LROR Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com Registrar URL: WHOIS | Lookup Domain Name Availability - GoDaddy Updated Date: 2019-11-23T17:16:00Z Creation Date: 2019-01-27T16:21:07Z Registry Expiry Date: 2029-01-27T16:21:07Z Registrar Registration Expiration Date: Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC Registrar IANA ID: 146 Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected] Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505 Reseller: Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited EPP Status Codes | What Do They Mean, and Why Should I Know? - ICANN Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC Registrant State/Province: Arizona Registrant Country: US Name Server: NS33.DOMAINCONTROL.COM Name Server: NS34.DOMAINCONTROL.COM DNSSEC: unsigned URL of the ICANN Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form Whois Inaccuracy Complaint Form | ICANN) >>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2020-06-10T18:34:01Z <<<
GoDaddy dot com the domain registrant... hmm...
That's what we oughta tell many at the ABR: go, daddy.
Kinder than what the French might say.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing on Twitter yet.... Weird how many people supposedly know about this and nothing has surfaced....So we “know” PW was at the center versus periphery on this thing?
Nothing on Twitter yet.... Weird how many people supposedly know about this and nothing has surfaced....
seems to be one of those things “everyone” knows about and if you happen to be out of loop, it drives you nuts
Alright folks. Here it is, i swam around the swamp and did some digging. Here is what is known:
Word on the streeets, many people are saying!!, that THE Paul Wallner sent a threatening nasty litigious letter to a first year attending who brought up on twitter the gender issues regarding pregnancy, breast feeding and the ABR. The letter has clear sexist language as well.
So this will not be my last update on this matter. More to come folks! the word is out and “everyone” knows. Don’t hold back what you know any further.
TIMESUP on on you Paul, if only you could have retired peacefully, gracefully.
Word on the streeets, many people are saying!!, that THE Paul Wallner sent a threatening nasty litigious letter to a first year attending who brought up on twitter the gender issues regarding pregnancy, breast feeding and the ABR. The letter has clear sexist language as well.
So this will not be my last update on this matter. More to come folks! the word is out and “everyone” knows. Don’t hold back what you know any further.
TIMESUP on on you Paul, if only you could have retired peacefully, gracefully.
Alright folks. Here it is, i swam around the swamp and did some digging. Here is what is known:
Word on the streeets, many people are saying!!, that THE Paul Wallner sent a threatening nasty litigious letter to a first year attending who brought up on twitter the gender issues regarding pregnancy, breast feeding and the ABR. The letter has clear sexist language as well.
So this will not be my last update on this matter. More to come folks! the word is out and “everyone” knows. Don’t hold back what you know any further.
TIMESUP on on you Paul, if only you could have retired peacefully, gracefully.
These are the details I know as well. The people I heard this from in real life are people who are generally oblivious to national RadOnc gossip/issues and I was shocked to hear it from them, that's how over-the-line Wallner's response was.
At some point in this process the one and only KO stepped in to defend said young attending. I'm not entirely clear on the chain of events for how KO became involved, the "street words" I was told was that Wallner CC'ed a bunch of people on his email which is how this circulated?
Also, if anyone gets their hands on Wallner's letter/email/whatever I vote we make that it's own thread for maximum visibility (outside of this 43 page Twitter thread, haha).