radonc after IM residency?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anastacia23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi

i'm a 3rd yr who recently got interested in radonc but i don't feel confident applying to radonc given my current stats..217 step 1 and absolutely no research...i was thinking that perhaps i should complete a residency in IM at a program that has radonc...make some connections, do research etc. and then apply....will i be more competitive as a board-certified IM doc? Has anyone gone this route in an effort to get into radonc? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

thanks
anastacia

Members don't see this ad.

You're plan is not bad, however your score is not a sole measure of your stats. Since you're in third year, you can still do research, improve on step 2 early. Still apply in radonc and prelim, and interview in as many places as you possibly can. If you don't get that many radonc interviews, you can still rank prelims or IM underneath radonc and still match in IM and then apply next year. I would recommend doing electives at least 1-2 in your institution of choice and working hard in them. Rad-onc is weird, the match is even weirder.. there are places that you get interviews from that you don't expect, and sometimes those guarantee interviews never happen. Shoot far and wide, always say you have no backup, but always have one. Just My 2 cents. O btw research is big, try to get some authorship, or publish, and go to ASTRO or ASCO.

-f8

Anastacia23 said:
hi

i'm a 3rd yr who recently got interested in radonc but i don't feel confident applying to radonc given my current stats..217 step 1 and absolutely no research...i was thinking that perhaps i should complete a residency in IM at a program that has radonc...make some connections, do research etc. and then apply....will i be more competitive as a board-certified IM doc? Has anyone gone this route in an effort to get into radonc? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

thanks
anastacia

It is still not too late. I got interested in rad onc around the same time too. Just get the ball rolling and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)