RAFFLE! win a copy of Boards and Wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lauraLWW

Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
LWW will give away 5 free copies of Boards and Wards. Winners for the raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

This Fourth Edition of Boards and Wards offers an essential review for medical students preparing for clinical rotations and for the USMLE Steps 2 and 3. Written in a succinct, high-yield outline format, the book features new board-formatted questions and answers with detailed explanations, and covers each discipline of medicine appearing on the USMLE Steps 2 and 3, including dermatology, radiology, and ophthalmology. Numerous tables, full-color illustrations, and "buzzwords" aid in retention of facts. This edition also features increased level of content in ophthalmology, dermatology, and otolaryngology, as well as increased illustrations.

A companion Website offers over 200 USMLE-style questions and answers: 75 (all new!) from the book and an additional 130 online-only.

Boards and Wards

Be sure to take our student survey for your chance to win an iPad!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How is the book broken up, into clinical rotation sections? I.e family med, peds etc? Is it supposed to be a review after the end of M3 or read with every clinical rotation

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard this book is essential when on rotations, any chance you can elaborate on what has been added to the 4th edition?

I have heard this book is essential when on rotations, any chance you can elaborate on what has been added to the 4th edition?

Sure! The 4th edition includes new features like:
  • Increased illustrations + full color interior
  • Increased level of content in: ophthalmology, dermatology, and otolaryngology
  • New board-formatted questions and answers with detailed explanations, and covers each discipline of medicine appearing on the USMLE Steps 2 and 3, including dermatology, radiology, and ophthalmology

How is the book broken up, into clinical rotation sections? I.e family med, peds etc? Is it supposed to be a review after the end of M3 or read with every clinical rotation

Hi! Boards and Wards is organized by rotation and is frequently used not only during M3-M4 rotations, but also as a review for the Step 3. Great features of this text include:
  • High-yield outline format intended for medical students preparing for clinical rotations as well as the USMLE Steps 2 & 3.
  • Over 200 USMLE Q&A - 75 in the book plus an additional 130 online.

Last edited:
Do you have any online versions of the book? Or do you have any versions where we can use it on our smartphones or other portable electronic devices?

Do you have any online versions of the book? Or do you have any versions where we can use it on our smartphones or other portable electronic devices?

Hi! Boards and Wards comes with a companion website that offers over 200 USMLE-style questions and answers -- 75 from the book and an additional 130 online-only. A mobile component would be a great supplement for a new edition. Thanks for the suggestion!

I heard the only major revision from the 3rd edition were changes in the Ophthalmology chapter. Will there be additional content added like maybe a separate Urology chapter or more detailed Medical and Legal section in future editions?

I heard the only major revision from the 3rd edition were changes in the Ophthalmology chapter. Will there be additional content added like maybe a separate Urology chapter or more detailed Medical and Legal section in future editions?

In addition to added coverage on opthalmogoy, the 4th edition includes these additions too:
  • Increased level of content in: dermatology & otolaryngology
  • New board-formatted questions and answers with detailed explanations, and covers each discipline of medicine appearing on the USMLE Steps 2 and 3, including dermatology, radiology, and ophthalmology
Thanks for your recommendations for the next edition! We value your feedback.

Are radiographs included in the illustrations? I know radiology is included in testing, but I was curious if they are a part of the text and/or the questions as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this book geared more toward prep for Step 2/3 or is it appropriate as a companion during rotations?

Thanks for asking!

Boards and Wards is organized by rotation and is frequently used not only during M3-M4 rotations, but also as a review for the Step 2/3.

Great features of this text include:
  • High-yield outline format intended for medical students preparing for clinical rotations as well as the USMLE Steps 2 & 3.
  • Over 200 USMLE Q&A - 75 in the book plus an additional 130 online.

I was wondering if the 200 USMLE-style questions and answers are written more towards USMLE 2 or 3. I am considering using this book next year for internship.

Thanks!

I was wondering if the 200 USMLE-style questions and answers are written more towards USMLE 2 or 3. I am considering using this book next year for internship.

Thanks!

Glad to hear you are considering our text! Boards and Wards was developed for medical students preparing for clinical rotations and for the USMLE Steps 2 and 3 so it should meet your needs. Thanks!

It sounds like some nice additions have been made. Is the book small enough to be kept in a white coat as a reference on the wards or is it meant to be more of a study aid for home?

It sounds like some nice additions have been made. Is the book small enough to be kept in a white coat as a reference on the wards or is it meant to be more of a study aid for home?

Hi, psychmedstudent! Boards and Wards is small enough to fit in a lab coat pocket and is perfect for reference on the wards.

If you're interested in pocket-size books, you should check-out our Recall series -- it's a rapid-fire question-and-answer format, pocket-size text. Take advantage of our 20% discount -- http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=802445.

Is there an iPad version of Boards and Wards?

I found this book to be great for step 2 comlex.

Hi! I was wondering if this book covered biostats and ethics at the USMLE Step 3 level? Thanks for your help!

Hi Critters! Yes, the book has ethics and biostats coverage at the Step 3 level.

quick word-of-mouth review.....several students I know have recommended this book to me saying its a "good, quick, valuable resource"

hoping to get me one:D

Hi absolutdokta! Thanks for the positive feedback. We'll keep you posted on the raffle winners.

Can you be more specific on how much "increased content" there is? (i.e. number of pages/topics/etc. added). I already own the earlier addition and need to decide if it is worth buying an updated copy of a book I already own rather than try a different source of information altogether.

Can you be more specific on how much "increased content" there is? (i.e. number of pages/topics/etc. added). I already own the earlier addition and need to decide if it is worth buying an updated copy of a book I already own rather than try a different source of information altogether.
The 4th edition includes new features like:
  • Increased level of content in: ophthalmology, dermatology, and otolaryngology
Follow this link and click on Google Preview to compare. http://www.lww.com/product/Boards-and-Wards/?978-0-7817-8743-7

Is it available oversees?

Is this updated boards and wards better for studying for step 2 or step 3? Or would you recommend it to an intern studying for in-service exams?
Please sign me up for this raffle, thank you.