Raising my science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gimme Shelter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I performed pretty poorly in my core pre-req's (2.5 avg i believe) at a JC and am now at a University of California in my first quarter, probably headed toward a 3.0 appx. GPA for this quarter. Obviously I really need to accelerate in the GPA department. I'm wondering how effective it would be to take a lot of science classes as electives on the side of my upper div major requirements? I took statistics which I got an A in my freshman year but I don't even know if that counts toward science GPA. Even if I ace all these science electives, would med schools even be impressed at all or would they just see my C's in Calculus and O-chem and shred my application? I'm getting worried and definitely won't give up my dream without a fight so I'm open to anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I kinda skimmed over what you wrote, but based off what I've gotten from these forums it's really important to show an upward trend complemented with a strong MCAT score if you have some low grades holding you down.

Try searching the forums more and you'll find you're answer :)

So I performed pretty poorly in my core pre-req's (2.5 avg i believe) at a JC and am now at a University of California in my first quarter, probably headed toward a 3.0 appx. GPA for this quarter. Obviously I really need to accelerate in the GPA department. I'm wondering how effective it would be to take a lot of science classes as electives on the side of my upper div major requirements? I took statistics which I got an A in my freshman year but I don't even know if that counts toward science GPA. Even if I ace all these science electives, would med schools even be impressed at all or would they just see my C's in Calculus and O-chem and shred my application? I'm getting worried and definitely won't give up my dream without a fight so I'm open to anything.

A few Cs are not going to hurt you in the context of your entire body of coursework.

Yes, taking science electives is a good idea, but don't overdo it; it will be counterproductive if you get Bs (or even worse, Cs) and further damage your GPA.

You should be working hard to raise your GPA; the shredding to which you refer will probably happen if you're not in the 3.5 range.

Statistics does count in the BCPM GPA calculated by MD schools.

A good pre-med advisor is worth her weight in gold and will have more cogent and relevant advice than most (but not all) SDNers.

Getting into medical school is not all about GPA, so make sure you are developing a well-rounded application.

You have plenty of time to repair your GPA. Just don't overload yourself with courses, do bad in them, and then make it harder to do it.