Random AADSAS Questions: 2017-2018 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They may look at it unfavorably if I am applying to 15 schools vs. if I was applying to 5 schools, because if I'm applying to less schools it would give the impression that VCU is one of my few choices. I'm not saying they will reject me because of it, but I'm afraid of the impression it gives if I list a lot of schools.

Members don't see this ad.

They may look at it unfavorably if I am applying to 15 schools vs. if I was applying to 5 schools, because if I'm applying to less schools it would give the impression that VCU is one of my few choices. I'm not saying they will reject me because of it, but I'm afraid of the impression it gives if I list a lot of schools.
No it won't. They understand this is quite the process for you. I applied to 16 schools and about half of them knew which schools I was applying to, got interview invites to 8 of them. Plenty of things to stress with the application cycle. This isn't one of them lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the part where you have to match the dental school prerequisite requirement to a course fulfilling the requirement that you took, do they want you to put the intro course you took (say it says "Fill in a Biology course", could I add genetics or would I have to add the general bio I took freshman year?)

For some of the schools it says match with general bio or general chem class and I put my intro classes for those, but I don't know what to do when its unspecified.

AADSAS official guideline says there is a coversheet this cycle but I couldn't see mine so I just made a call today. They told me there is no coversheet this cycle and that they forgot to edit the guide book. So...there is no coversheet this cycle?
yeah this is weird to me.. like Krentist said- then why do we star the top things we want to show? I assumed it would go on the coversheet (that we don't have access to view I'm assuming? or maybe I don't know how to access it). On the PDF downloads of my applications it doesn't seem like the starring did anything for those to stick out. They are actually all jumbled about too. Idk I'm just confused on the point of starring then...

Reactions: 1 users
When VCU's secondary app asks for the "other schools you've applied to" and then says that it's "optional", is it really optional or do I have to do it? I don't want to seem shady if I don't fill it in, but I also don't want to tell them about all the other places I'm applying to.
I listed 22 other schools my friend, if they don't want me then they don't want me

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone!

I was wondering where on AADSAS can I find the mail out date to schools? :)

So after i submit my application, how long will it take for it to be SENT with everything completed and verify? An estimate would great, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys on the volunteering definition in the handbook it says not to include healthcare related volunteering, so where do we put healthcare volunteering under then?

I have a lot of volunteering with hospice care, so I'm afraid it won't get recognized just because it's healthcare related.

I called AADSAS and the guy I spoke to said to go ahead and put my hospice volunteering under volunteering, and that the phrase on that handbook is mainly to stop people from putting dental office volunteering there instead of putting it along with their shadowing under dental shadowing.

I plan to call again for a second opinion, but what do you guys think?

Not sure if this question was asked already.. But for the personal statement part- the indentations aren't showing up, should I manually put spaces in for each paragraph or submit as is?

Not sure if this question was asked already.. But for the personal statement part- the indentations aren't showing up, should I manually put spaces in for each paragraph or submit as is?

This has been asked multiple times. No worries though.

Do not indent. Instead, copy paste as in and put a line of space between each paragraph.

Example:

Paragraph 1

Paragraph 2

How specific are schools regarding LOR from teachers? If one science teacher has not yet submitted but I already have 1 from a physics teacher would my application be considered not complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
This has been asked multiple times. No worries though.

Do not indent. Instead, copy paste as in and put a line of space between each paragraph.

Example:

Paragraph 1

Paragraph 2

thank you so much for your help! :)

Can you add the LOR's after submitting the application? Is the application going to be delayed until I submit my LORs?

Regarding the "Experiences" section under "Supporting Information," is it better to fill out the optional fields (address, supervisor name, contact phone/email, etc.)? Does it hurt you at all to leave them blank?

Regarding the "Experiences" section under "Supporting Information," is it better to fill out the optional fields (address, supervisor name, contact phone/email, etc.)? Does it hurt you at all to leave them blank?
key word: "optional" lol

one of my schools on AADSAS has the following under decision status: "Received/Waiting Additional Information"

Does anyone know why? My GPA is yet to be verified and the committee letter needs to be uploaded.

It's best to fill them out if you can. If I'm an ADCOM looking at your application and see that you have no address/phone number/supervisor name, to me, that would be a red flag. How am I to know that those hours you put down are legit?

Is anyone's official DAT scores uploaded? I'm a re-applicant and they still aren't up.
Anyone? It looks like they might take 3 to 4 weeks?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

"How many people other than your parent(s) lived in your primary household during the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen?" Do you include yourself? I am not sure if I should put 1 or 0

"How many people other than your parent(s) lived in your primary household during the majority of your life from birth to age eighteen?" Do you include yourself? I am not sure if I should put 1 or 0
I'd say include yourself because you live there and belong to ur dependents.

Anyone? It looks like they might take 3 to 4 weeks?

yes!! call and ask them to link them on the spot. Mine are in and I can see them if I open the PDF for any school that I've selected.

yes!! call and ask them to link them on the spot. Mine are in and I can see them if I open the PDF for any school that I've selected.
Dang, okay I'll call. My unofficial show on the pdf but not my official

Sorry I have one more question. Do I have to include planned courses or is that optional? if it's optional, is it recommended?

Sorry I have one more question. Do I have to include planned courses or is that optional? if it's optional, is it recommended?
My school's health advising office recommends putting in the planned courses because they said schools like to see that you plan to continue taking more upper level biology electives, and if you have not completed a pre-req yet, showing it under planned courses shows schools you will finish that course prior to matriculation to dental school

My school's health advising office recommends putting in the planned courses because they said schools like to see that you plan to continue taking more upper level biology electives, and if you have not completed a pre-req yet, showing it under planned courses shows schools you will finish that course prior to matriculation to dental school
Thank you! But what happens if you change your mind about a course and switch to a different upper level class. Does that look bad?

Thank you! But what happens if you change your mind about a course and switch to a different upper level class. Does that look bad?

I don't know about that, my advisor just said to update the schools on any changes. I mean in my opinion it could only look bad if you put insanely hard science electives then switch them all to blow-off classes.

I'd do it. IMO definitely include the reqs that schools want if you haven't taken all yet. In my case I need to take sociology so I made sure to include that I'll be taking that course.
If you've completed everything else I dunno how much it matters. Make sure you include classes that complete your major and maybe classes that could prep you better for dental school. I am a double major in business so pretty much all classes I'm taking are business classes. So I dunno how much it matters to dental schools but I still made sure to include all classes. Also since I was on a tight schedule in undergrad with 2 non-overlaping majors, I've had a schedule since last year with all my classes so I kinda really know what I have to take

Good luck

I'd do it. IMO definitely include the reqs that schools want if you haven't taken all yet. In my case I need to take sociology so I made sure to include that I'll be taking that course.
If you've completed everything else I dunno how much it matters. Make sure you include classes that complete your major and maybe classes that could prep you better for dental school. I am a double major in business so pretty much all classes I'm taking are business classes. So I dunno how much it matters to dental schools but I still made sure to include all classes. Also since I was on a tight schedule in undergrad with 2 non-overlaping majors, I've had a schedule since last year with all my classes so I kinda really know what I have to take

Good luck

Is this really necessary?

First off, are we allowed to put planned courses without putting in a grade? My planned courses for next semester show up on my official transcript, but I didn't put them into my app.

Is this really necessary?

First off, are we allowed to put planned courses without putting in a grade? My planned courses for next semester show up on my official transcript, but I didn't put them into my app.

No you can't put a grade in.
To summarize what I said my answer is no. I don't think it's necessary. But in the case you have to take 1-2 more reqs for a school...i think it might be an easy way to tell your school that you're planing on completing all reqs. I don't think it's necessary especially cause schedules can change.

Good luck
Hey do you mind sharing where you included that in the application? thank you =)

Hey do you mind sharing where you included that in the application? thank you =)
I included tht in the transcript entry. I am a senior next year so I typed in senior year classes that I'll take. These are 'in progress" and you don't have to input a grade

Quick question on rec letters:
I'm submitting 3 science letters plus 1 committee letter. These satisfy the criteria of all the schools I'm applying too. I have another non science letter of recommendation. You guys think I should send this one in as well (5 total letters)? I don't want to appear cocky to admissions, but I also do not want to appear to be a science freak or something. Also, 5 letters may be too much as some schools on my list (such as Upenn and Temple) only require two letters. I don't want to bombard them with more than they already need to handle.

thoughts?

Got an email from UMich that my DAT score isn't in yet. I thought that your DAT score sent automatically by providing your dentpin on the app. Do I have to do anything else to send my DAT score to AADSAS? I took the DAT on may 26th so it might possible that it is still processing.

Got an email from UMich that my DAT score isn't in yet. I thought that your DAT score sent automatically by providing your dentpin on the app. Do I have to do anything else to send my DAT score to AADSAS? I took the DAT on may 26th so it might possible that it is still processing.

Yours should be uploaded soon since it has been 3 weeks since you took it.

From the AADSAS instructions: "If any U.S. dental school is selected, the official score will be sent electronically to ADEA AADSAS 3–4 weeks after the test date and be matched to the application based on the name, birthdate and DENTPIN of the applicant."

Yours should be uploaded soon since it has been 3 weeks since you took it.

From the AADSAS instructions: "If any U.S. dental school is selected, the official score will be sent electronically to ADEA AADSAS 3–4 weeks after the test date and be matched to the application based on the name, birthdate and DENTPIN of the applicant."
Mine haven't been uploaded and I'm a reapplicant and took the DAT last year. I emailed customer service and will call tomorrow if I don't hear back.

Mine haven't been uploaded and I'm a reapplicant and took the DAT last year. I emailed customer service and will call tomorrow if I don't hear back.

That's interesting. I took mine about 6 months ago and it shows my Official DAT scores on the application PDF (first-time applicant). They'll be able to manually link it for you.

Quick question on rec letters:
I'm submitting 3 science letters plus 1 committee letter. These satisfy the criteria of all the schools I'm applying too. I have another non science letter of recommendation. You guys think I should send this one in as well (5 total letters)? I don't want to appear cocky to admissions, but I also do not want to appear to be a science freak or something. Also, 5 letters may be too much as some schools on my list (such as Upenn and Temple) only require two letters. I don't want to bombard them with more than they already need to handle.

thoughts?
There are four spots on the AADSAS app for letters. Three of those are combined as one if that one is a committee letter (aka a max of one committee letter and one other letter, the other two spots become ineligible).

So I'm just confused how you would plan on submitting 5 letters? Are you planning on sending three more to every individual school? Plus, and I know every school's committee is different, but who was in your committee letter packet if not the 3 science profs and 1 other?

There are four spots on the AADSAS app for letters. Three of those are combined as one if that one is a committee letter (aka a max of one committee letter and one other letter, the other two spots become ineligible).

So I'm just confused how you would plan on submitting 5 letters? Are you planning on sending three more to every individual school? Plus, and I know every school's committee is different, but who was in your committee letter packet if not the 3 science profs and 1 other?

So, I have a pre health office at my university. They have a hold of all of my recommendation letters.

When I input the email for the rec letters to be uploaded on AADSAS, I put the email of my pre health office. They get an AADSAS email, and they upload all the letters I request them to upload (I.e: I selected three of my science letters, and the committee letter is somewhat of a "bonus").

My committee letter is like a cover letter. I don't think it actually fits the criteria of the committee letter mentioned on AADSAS. But as far as I was told, I was given instructions to inform them which of my letters I want uploaded and they handle that.

When I got my committee letter, I interviewed with one of the members of the pre health office I have never met before. After the interview, I was informed that I would be getting a committee letter and that it'll be sent along my other rec letters.

I may be missing something I'm not sure? I do know what you mean about this one committee and one letter upload and what not. I have read that so I'm not entirely sure. I'm just gonna give my pre health office a call and tell them to send letters x, y, and z and they attach the committee letter and send em off. I'm sure if there is any issue they'll let me know.

If a transcript is being sent via Credentials Solutions, do we not need to do anything with the Transcript Matching Form?

6c4ef938bc153b87e914df0895b0f6a5.png

When making an evaluation request, is "personal message/notes" what would be sent to our evaluator? Or is that where I would write my description of who the evaluator is/their association with me? I am using interfolio so the letters have already been received, however if I wasn't it would make sense that "personal message/notes" would be sent to the evaluator from AADSAS

Same boat here, if you have your score report from Prometric some schools will accept that temporarily if you scan and send it to them, but I'm wondering when ADA will send the official electronic DAT Scores from last year, let me know what they say!

For verified transcripts/GPA people where do u see the GPA's computed?

Same boat here, if you have your score report from Prometric some schools will accept that temporarily if you scan and send it to them, but I'm wondering when ADA will send the official electronic DAT Scores from last year, let me know what they say!
AADSAS uploaded them instantly after they received my email!

When making an evaluation request, is "personal message/notes" what would be sent to our evaluator? Or is that where I would write my description of who the evaluator is/their association with me? I am using interfolio so the letters have already been received, however if I wasn't it would make sense that "personal message/notes" would be sent to the evaluator from AADSAS

What you write in this box is what your recommender sees.

For example, if you were writing my rec letter, j could leave you a personal message like "don't forget to sign it!" Or whatever. AADSAS doesn't see what you write this is specifically between you and your evaluator.

If there's no batches and schools can access your app right away does that mean invites will come earlier than previous years? Last year I saw some people getting interviews towards beginning of July.
Also how early can u go to interview? Do they invite people in august? It'd be so much easier than skipping school

What you write in this box is what your recommender sees.

For example, if you were writing my rec letter, j could leave you a personal message like "don't forget to sign it!" Or whatever. AADSAS doesn't see what you write this is specifically between you and your evaluator.

Makes sense, thank you so much!

Do you take like dental history or anything like that in dental shcool haha?