Random jobs in med school application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rajaredhilu

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I include random non-health related jobs ive done in my med school application such as military and random things like carpentry, farming and security guard. Are these things useless and irrelevant or do they maybe show "real world experience" or something that the application board might like

Members don't see this ad.

Should I include random non-health related jobs ive done in my med school application such as military and random things like carpentry, farming and security guard. Are these things useless and irrelevant or do they maybe show "real world experience" or something that the application board might like

Military definately. Random jobs list but lump them together. Sometimes it makes interesting interview conversation.

"Yes I did sell used cars. No I didn't like it very much which is why I'm here."

Reactions: 1 user
None of those past jobs are useless or irrelevant. I agree with @smukke on grouping miscellaneous jobs, but you should highlight the military experience. Some will even carve out separate components of their military background and list them under separate tags, with their own dates and Total Hours, like clinical experience, leadership, teaching, and awards/honors, especially if their service was fairly recent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend listing every full-time job in its own category along with a contact, if possible. Also show any employment during the school year as it shows the demands on your time.
Military service should be included... very important, even if it started before college. I'm on record as saying that military service is like adding 0.5 to your GPA when it comes to catching the adcom's attention and being slated for interview.

I highly recommend listing every full-time job in its own category along with a contact, if possible. Also show any employment during the school year as it shows the demands on your time.
Military service should be included... very important, even if it started before college. I'm on record as saying that military service is like adding 0.5 to your GPA when it comes to catching the adcom's attention and being slated for interview.
Sorry to be slightly off-topic, but do you know how ROTC is viewed? (unfortunately medical disqualification right before commissioning)

Sorry to be slightly off-topic, but do you know how ROTC is viewed? (unfortunately medical disqualification right before commissioning)

Can't say I've seen enough applicants with ROTC background. Based on my observations, it is not viewed as highly as active duty service and/or graduation from a service academy but it may be due to lack of familiarity with it. Much will depend on how you describe it in the experience section.

Can't say I've seen enough applicants with ROTC background. Based on my observations, it is not viewed as highly as active duty service and/or graduation from a service academy but it may be due to lack of familiarity with it. Much will depend on how you describe it in the experience section.
What if I was only in the Marine Corps Reserves for a few months then got medically seperated due to an injury. I wasnt able to fulfill my contract and i did nothing extraordinary while I was in. All I did was get injured, spent a few months in medical rehabilitation then sent home. Would it be better to not even mention it?

What if I was only in the Marine Corps Reserves for a few months then got medically seperated due to an injury. I wasnt able to fulfill my contract and i did nothing extraordinary while I was in. All I did was get injured, spent a few months in medical rehabilitation then sent home. Would it be better to not even mention it?

If you have several months that would otherwise be blank on your resume, it would be a good idea to include it. It helps account for your time.