Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XVI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I lost 4-5 pounds this week and suddenly I have small stretch marks on my tummy :eek:

Does this mean that's where the poundage came from??????

I haven't been doing anything excessive - just eating healthy and more exercise. I've noticed that I've felt really good this week, too.

So I lost 4-5 pounds this week and suddenly I have small stretch marks on my tummy :eek:

I haven't been doing anything excessive - just eating healthy and more exercise. I've noticed that I've felt really good this week, too.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Have you been keeping track of inches lost? That's what I've been doing and I've only dropped a few pounds but I've lost 4 inches total (waist, hips, thighs)

Members don't see this ad :)
Q, i think it's your avatar. your avatar has big muscles so i just thought you were a guy. sorry :rolleyes:
My avatar is androgenous. :confused: It's time for me to come up with a new one anyway. I graduated almost a year ago already. :wow:

I have lots of big stretchmarks on my tummy.

I didn't know you could get stretchmarks from losing weight quickly. Wouldn't those be inverse stretchmarks? :)

Then I think I should've said country of origin. Starts with an H and ends with a Y. Maybe I'm way wrong here, but you also said you didn't speak the language. ;)

It's really crazy. You go there and the nearby countries and all the girls are like supermodels. Tall, long legs, wow.
Ok, he means because my dad's family is Hungarian. :laugh:

I do have long legs, but I'm not tall. Especially compared to the Amazons in this crowd. I think I'm the shortest girl on this thread...well, besides Guju. ;)

I cannot wait! I coulda gotten the Zelda game for my Gamecube but I opted to wait till I got a Wii so I can play the cooler Wii version.
Zelda is a classic. :thumbup: I used to play that in the early 90s when I had a nintendo. I was probably, what, 14, 15? Loved that game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Oxeye: How goes the computer search? I just got UT-H's requirements for a laptop and it looks like I'm going to need to drop about 1,500 on one :(

I'm really hoping they have a dell discount.

Is this the first week of your diet? If so, it's probably mostly water weight, unfortunately. :(

Hey Oxeye: How goes the computer search? I just got UT-H's requirements for a laptop and it looks like I'm going to need to drop about 1,500 on one :(

I'm really hoping they have a dell discount.
I still can't decide between a Tablet and a normal computer. The tablet I'm looking at is $1600, but that's without accident protection coverage or anything. I could get a kick-butt Dell - tiny, with everything I want, and really good warranty and accident protection coverage for 3 years for quite a bit less.

It's just hard to decide. :(

What requirements do they have for the laptop at UT-H? My school's requirements are pretty basic. The laptap I have now would work - except it's on its last leg and it's HEAVY!

Is this the first week of your diet? If so, it's probably mostly water weight, unfortunately. :(

Kinda sorta. I haven't really been on a strict "diet" per se like counting calories, but just eating better and naturally cutting calories that way.

Breakfast: Small bagel (high fiber), banana, tiny probiotic drink (Bio Salud), pear

Lunch: Soup (high fiber), apple, maybe a serving of almonds if still hungry

Dinner: rice, steamed veggies, soup or frozen lunch entree

snack: coupla cookies high in Omega-3s

Total calories: 1500-1700

Drinking 100oz h20 daily in the form of white tea and plain water.

I expected some of it to be water weight - I don't weigh enough to have an actual weight loss of 5 pounds in a week :) But I'm wondering why stretch marks decided to show up after a weight loss - after searching the net it appears a plausible thing.

What requirements do they have for the laptop at UT-H? My school's requirements are pretty basic. The laptap I have now would work - except it's on its last leg and it's HEAVY!
I haven't bought a computer since 2000 so I'm rusty on terminology. :laugh: But it seems like to meet these requirements I'm going to need to drop some cash on the laptop:

Here's the letter from UT-H:

Medical students need a laptop for access to educational materials, references, patient records, and for communication with faculty and medical staff. It is imperative to have an Intel processor running at least Microsoft Windows XP Professional, since the clinical information system cannot be accessed with a Macintosh computer. Students will also have the option of having their laptops configured with the software needed for their medical education at the UTHSC-H Medical School.

Here are the minimum requirements for the students that already own a laptop:

Intel Core2 Dup Processor

1 GB RAM

60 GB Hard Drive

CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo

1024X768 super VGA PCI Bus Video

Sound Card

Microsoft Mouse or Track Ball

10/100 Network Interface Card

Wireless Card (802.11b/g)

Windows XP Professional **Supports upgrade to Vista

1 or more USB ports

3-year warranty

Apple Computers are not allowed.

You girls are all a lot taller than I am.

Ana, have you decided to definitely attend UTH? When was this decision made? I am so out of the loop. :(
I'm still waiting on finaid from IU but I know the odds of it becoming affordable (or even sensible) are very remote. No love from Mich or Baylor... so yeah, it looks like I'll be headed to Houston.

Except now I feel like I'm in middle school again: What if the kids don't like me? What if I have to sit by myself at lunch? What if the teacher is mean to me? [/whiny 13-yr old girl voice]

I can't remember how tall you are Q.

I'm not "tall" by any means - just average I think (5'6").
I'm about 5'5". But I know beary, ana, and meg are all really tall.

Your diet looks good to me, meg. Are you exercising regularly also? You really should do a combo for optimal weight loss.

What is the premise of Zelda? I've never played it - but I'm always looking for new games to get for the Wii.

LOVED Zelda!
Premise is that you are Link (a boy) in love with Zelda, a princess, captured by the evil Ganon. You have to find her through different "levels".

I've only played the original Nintendo version, so I don't know what else there is to sequel games.

I'm still waiting on finaid from IU but I know the odds of it becoming affordable (or even sensible) are very remote. No love from Mich or Baylor... so yeah, it looks like I'll be headed to Houston.

Except now I feel like I'm in middle school again: What if the kids don't like me? What if I have to sit by myself at lunch? What if the teacher is mean to me? [/whiny 13-yr old girl voice]
What!?!?!? Did Mich and Baylor reject you, or you just haven't heard back yet? If they did, I can't believe that. :mad:

What is IU? Iowa?

I was having those thoughts yesterday. My class is going to be small (60 people) so I'm hope I find some people that I click with.

Too bad we're not going to go to the same school Ana!! We'd get along great.

Wow, UT-H requires more RAM than my school - otherwise it's about the same.
Plus I kinda want one that's going to last at least 4 years... so I need to go alittle above the minimum requirements. Plus the more RAM I have and the better the graphics card the better WoW will look when I get hooked :smuggrin:

LOVED Zelda!
Premise is that you are Link (a boy) in love with Zelda, a princess, captured by the evil Ganon. You have to find her through different "levels".

I've only played the original Nintendo version, so I don't know what else there is to sequel games.
Hmm, sounds kinda fun. :) I'll have to look into it.

I'm about 5'5". But I know beary, ana, and meg are all really tall.

Your diet looks good to me, meg. Are you exercising regularly also? You really should do a combo for optimal weight loss.

Ya, exercising too, but not really hard core *blush*. I do 3 days (1 hour each) on a crosstrainer and have been parking farther away from wherever I go and stepping up my interaction with the kids in therapy - more action games.

I'm planning on doing 4-5 days on the trainer next week - my 8am client has moved so i can get up at 6:30 to work out.

I'm 5'7.5". On the taller side of normal, but I have a very "erect" posture sometimes making me look taller (I've had people tell me this).

Plus I kinda want one that's going to last at least 4 years... so I need to go alittle above the minimum requirements. Plus the more RAM I have and the better the graphics card the better WoW will look when I get hooked :smuggrin:
Good point. I want mine to last four years too but I don't have a good record with laptops. My last one lasted three years until my first daughter spilled a glass of water on the keyboard. This one is 2.5 years old. I could repair it for a few hundred $$$ and probably make it last another year but I want a smaller one for school anyway so it isn't worth it to repair it.

What!?!?!? Did Mich and Baylor reject you, or you just haven't heard back yet? If they did, I can't believe that. :mad:

What is IU? Iowa?

IU = Indiana where my dad's family lives. They're really sad to hear I can't earn residency making it REALLY expensive. Well there's always Residency/fellowship.

I'm on Mich's "Highly Desirable" List - I should find out in March and I hear Baylor has basically filled their class so waitlist at best.

You overestimate me :laugh: I'm actually hideous and quite rude in person :smuggrin: Just ask Beary, TypeA, Penguin or Evo :laugh:

I was having those thoughts yesterday. My class is going to be small (60 people) so I'm hope I find some people that I click with.

Too bad we're not going to go to the same school Ana!! We'd get along great.

I know! So sad :( And wow that is a small class! That's smaller than Tx A&M and I thought we had a TINY med school.

Good point. I want mine to last four years too but I don't have a good record with laptops. My last one lasted three years until my first daughter spilled a glass of water on the keyboard. This one is 2.5 years old. I could repair it for a few hundred $$$ and probably make it last another year but I want a smaller one for school anyway so it isn't worth it to repair it.
Yeah - I've already made the decision not to have internet or cable in my apt (too much of a distraction) so I'll be hauling it to school to scavenge wireless during lecture. I don't need a clunker for that! :oops:

Ehh, I need to start eating less. The baby is nearly weaned so I can't eat like a pig anymore. I'm good about exercising (6 days/week for 45 min) but my weight hasn't budged in months. I really want to lose the last 15 pounds from my first pregnancy!! Yes, that was 3.5 years ago.

My BIL has pneumonia. Has been sick for a week with up to 105 fever. Wouldn't go to the ER until his wife put him in the car and took him. Admitted. Bam.

Men are so stubborn about being sick. He could have had some serious complications!

Yeah - I've already made the decision not to have internet or cable in my apt (too much of a distraction) so I'll be hauling it to school to scavenge wireless during lecture. I don't need a clunker for that! :oops:
We're required to take our laptop to class.

And umm, how are you going to chat with us if you don't have internet in your apartment!? :mad:

That's a good call on no cable, but internet you might want to have esp. if you need to reference sthg at home be it library journals or syllabus or whatev.

My BIL has pneumonia. Has been sick for a week with up to 105 fever. Wouldn't go to the ER until his wife put him in the car and took him. Admitted. Bam.

Men are so stubborn about being sick. He could have had some serious complications!
That's scary! :( I hope he recovers quickly.

We're required to take our laptop to class.

And umm, how are you going to chat with us if you don't have internet in your apartment!? :mad:
:laugh: Well I'm sure I'll be studying at school until very very late. If ugrad is any evidence I'll only be in my room to sleep.

(my friends always wondered why my grades were so bad and it was because I had billion ecs and I never had free time... looks like Houston has lots of ECs so I'm hoping not to get caught in that trap again :oops: )

I'm freaked out about how small it is. But I guess the upside is that there isn't a lot of competition to get to do procedures and stuff as a 3rd year.

Yeah SIU is my fav choice (hopefully I'm their fav. applicant!) and they have a class of 72. My mom went there too and she loved the small class. She said it was clique-y but everyone got along with everyone save the one representative a-hole.

That's scary! :( I hope he recovers quickly.

I'm sure he will. My husband and I just rolled our eyes when we heard this. Same guy who 2 Xmases ago tried to put up lights on his garage, in the dark, while drinking Cap'n Morgan/Mt. Dew and walked right off the roof and fractured his femur in 2 places.

Very careless kind of person.

:laugh: Well I'm sure I'll be studying at school until very very late. If ugrad is any evidence I'll only be in my room to sleep.

(my friends always wondered why my grades were so bad and it was because I had billion ecs and I never had free time... looks like Houston has lots of ECs so I'm hoping not to get caught in that trap again :oops: )
Yay! :)

I've never gotten too into ECs. And I doubt I'll do much in med school either. I think I'm going to have a hard enough time finding time for my kids as it is.

Yeah SIU is my fav choice (hopefully I'm their fav. applicant!) and they have a class of 72. My mom went there too and she loved the small class. She said it was clique-y but everyone got along with everyone save the one representative a-hole.
I just hope I'm not the a-hole! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.