Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XVII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted106503

random

werd2.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I'm really bumming about that dang practice MCAT score.

Shoot.

*sigh* it wears off after a bit and renewed hope comes back. :love:

I am going to eat breakfast and clean my house and pay bills. :) And I need to start making a build-a-bear for my nephew. Olivia wants to name it Bubble. :D :love:

omg. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's true. Except I did well on the Kaplan one. (wait - I did guess a lot so it was probably a fluke).

I'll keep powing along. I'm not naturally gifted like you or ana or Q or twin or Williams or Funk or.... OMG I'm the loser in this bunch! ;) :p

Seriously I don't know if the free test is the same one I used to have access to but if it is, it is purposely made to be more difficult to try and scare people into taking the course. Secondly, TPR makes their tests harder but does not take into account difficulty when setting up their scales. They use different scales as I was once told by someone at TPR. So even though their tests are more difficult they scale it tougher so that the same rough amount of questions that would be a 9 on an AAMC exam would be a 7 on their test.

So your score would have probably translated to quite a few points higher if the scaling was done differently. Are you taking an actual course or just using free tests??

Seriously I don't know if the free test is the same one I used to have access to but if it is, it is purposely made to be more difficult to try and scare people into taking the course. Secondly, TPR makes their tests harder but does not take into account difficulty when setting up their scales. They use different scales as I was once told by someone at TPR. So even though their tests are more difficult they scale it tougher so that the same rough amount of questions that would be a 9 on an AAMC exam would be a 7 on their test.

So your score would have probably translated to quite a few points higher if the scaling was done differently. Are you taking an actual course or just using free tests??

I just used the free ones since they were free. I also took 3R and did ok. I'm going to start taking bona fide AAMC practice tests tomorrow so we'll see how that turns out.

Wow - I've already been awake for 3 hours today - on a Saturday! WTF is wrong with me today! :eek:

But, I was productive. billing is done!

We have a b-day party for my ring-bearer's brother today which means home-made Indian food - yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We also get to go to a brewery to pick up some different yeasts for my honors project today = yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No meg, I'm the loser in this bunch. You guys are light years ahead of me in studying and I'm taking it a month before you (you're also scoring WAY higher on practice exams too!)

mushy, you're gonna be fine. sdn is crazy with everyone scoring 36's or whatever but thats not real world. my first kaplan diagnostic was like a 22 or something, by the time i took the exam for real I was scoring 28-30 consistently on practice tests. When i took the actual mcat in 2002 i scored a 26. i just studied again the next summer and my score popped up to 34.

dont freak out if you havent finished all the materials either. i hated the kaplan schedule, HATED it. i just made up my own schedule and studied at my own pace and just tried to finish as much of it as i could but def wasnt done with everything when i retook the exam. and that was 4 years ago before all the testing companies really expanded all there stuff. so bottom line, work as hard as you can and try to do what you can with the materials but dont get distracted comparing yourself to everyone on SDN, just focus on yourself.

Yeah I know, I don't follow the hype of SDN. But I'm being truthful that I'm really going to only have seriously studied for this MCAT for about maybe 3-4 weeks. With everything going on in my life its hard to balance school, life and studying. If I didn't have move life would be so much easier right now. I'm taking it in April only to submit to a few programs taht require it and I'm retaking this summer when I have more time to study for my application cycle. I hope they don't reject me outright based on this score though ... :(

I just used the free ones since they were free. I also took 3R and did ok. I'm going to start taking bona fide AAMC practice tests tomorrow so we'll see how that turns out.

Ohh ok. Well I'd give you some more materials if it were paper and pencil and still reallylong but i don't think it would help you with the new format and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
mushy, you're gonna be fine. sdn is crazy with everyone scoring 36's or whatever but thats not real world. my first kaplan diagnostic was like a 22 or something, by the time i took the exam for real I was scoring 28-30 consistently on practice tests. When i took the actual mcat in 2002 i scored a 26. i just studied again the next summer and my score popped up to 34.

dont freak out if you havent finished all the materials either. i hated the kaplan schedule, HATED it. i just made up my own schedule and studied at my own pace and just tried to finish as much of it as i could but def wasnt done with everything when i retook the exam. and that was 4 years ago before all the testing companies really expanded all there stuff. so bottom line, work as hard as you can and try to do what you can with the materials but dont get distracted comparing yourself to everyone on SDN, just focus on yourself.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

A-man,

I'm confused about something. What is the point of a primary care rotation??? :confused:

My understanding is that OB/GYN, FP/GP, Peds, IM, and gen. surg. were considered the primary care fields. Esp. OB/GYN, FP/GP, IM, and Peds.

So why would they make you do another 4 weeks of primary care?? Or is that more like underserved rural medicine vs. working in the areas where docs are in abundance?

Oh Lord! Honestly I think I would go crazy if I had to take the paper tests!
hahaha yeah you should thank the good lord that you don't have to take the long version of the test and that they shortened it quite a bit.

Wow - I've already been awake for 3 hours today - on a Saturday! WTF is wrong with me today! :eek:

But, I was productive. billing is done!

We have a b-day party for my ring-bearer's brother today which means home-made Indian food - yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We also get to go to a brewery to pick up some different yeasts for my honors project today = yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indian food is the best kind of food. :D

Yeah I know, I don't follow the hype of SDN. But I'm being truthful that I'm really going to only have seriously studied for this MCAT for about maybe 3-4 weeks. With everything going on in my life its hard to balance school, life and studying. If I didn't have move life would be so much easier right now. I'm taking it in April only to submit to a few programs taht require it and I'm retaking this summer when I have more time to study for my application cycle. I hope they don't reject me outright based on this score though ... :(

Good luck. P.S. check your PMs cuz I'm about to send you smething in regards to something in the official score thread.

Yeah, that's true. Except I did well on the Kaplan one. (wait - I did guess a lot so it was probably a fluke).

I'll keep powing along. I'm not naturally gifted like you or ana or Q or twin or Williams or Funk or.... OMG I'm the loser in this bunch! ;) :p
i dont deserve to be on the same line as the others there.
btw. i took the TPR practice and i got owned :D
don't be too discouraged about it

PB&J, you rock!!!!!

:clap: :hardy: :clap: :hardy: :clap:

GRACIAS! :)

so is S&M going to spill where she's going?

Well i have no idea where I'm definitely going as of yet...since I'm still waiting to hear back from 2 schools and I'm on 2 other waitlists. but as far as where I got in...that's the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (MD/PhD). :D

I'm really bumming about that dang practice MCAT score.

Shoot.

Meg, don't worry about it. I suggest you only practice with AAMC exams. I only used those 8 exams (3R-9) and the EK 1g practice exam I got with my study material. What practice books are you using?

P.S. I only took practice exams after I studied everything and knew it almost verbatim. I only had 9 exams so I didn't want to use them up when I didn't studying much. :oops:

We'll see how true that is when your real scores come out. I'm sure you'll do great. You are already doing better on most of them then a lot of people i know here where I live. So don't stress. You'll do fine. Just remember to review all tests and find your weak areas. Review everything including correct answers and make themost of your tests in terms of using them not just as tests which you take to see a numerical score but as means of drilling the concepts into your head and understanding whether it is a strategical/timing error or whether it is a concept/knowledge error.

There is no point.

:laugh: :laugh: yeah that's what I was thinking too. Just seems like a pointless waste of time. I'd rather they add on an EM rotation or something like that in those 4 weeks that isn't covered as much in depth during the rest of 3rd year.

Indian food is the best kind of food. :D

Mmmmm...just thinking about some nice chicken tikka massala, or some spicy lamb vindaloo...with that garlic naan. You guys are making me hungry. Now i have to leave the library and find some indian food.:D

Will, we got pwned by Arkansas !!1!!!!111

*stares at a top 25 ranking for the last time and starts sobbing uncontrollably*

:thumbup: :thumbup:

A-man,

I'm confused about something. What is the point of a primary care rotation??? :confused:

My understanding is that OB/GYN, FP/GP, Peds, IM, and gen. surg. were considered the primary care fields. Esp. OB/GYN, FP/GP, IM, and Peds.

So why would they make you do another 4 weeks of primary care?? Or is that more like underserved rural medicine vs. working in the areas where docs are in abundance?
at our program, our "Generalist Primary Care" (GPC) rotation is basically the same as our Family Medicine rotation with one major difference. On family medicine all the patients we see are insured and seen in our preceptors office, in many cases they have been seeing our preceptor for years. On our GPC rotation, all the patients are uninsured and seen in community clinics or through our mobile pediatric bus which drives to elementary schools and helps with screenings, etc... So, yes, primary care medicine in both rotations but with major differences in patient populations.

btw guys, im dropping "someplace someplace" from my sig. i dont care about being anonymous on here anymore but i dropped the link to the blog. i cant put out TOO many specifics. :laugh:

if you hadnt saved the blog link and would like it for the future just PM me but its not going to be tied to my SDN acct anymore.

btw guys, im dropping "someplace someplace" from my sig. i dont care about being anonymous on here anymore but i dropped the link to the blog. i cant put out TOO many specifics. :laugh:

if you hadnt saved the blog link and would like it for the future just PM me but its not going to be tied to my SDN acct anymore.

Hi sweetie! actually i bookmarked it a long tima ago =) pretty much the best blog ever;)

at our program, our "Generalist Primary Care" (GPC) rotation is basically the same as our Family Medicine rotation with one major difference. On family medicine all the patients we see are insured and seen in our preceptors office, in many cases they have been seeing our preceptor for years. On our GPC rotation, all the patients are uninsured and seen in community clinics or through our mobile pediatric bus which drives to elementary schools and helps with screenings, etc... So, yes, primary care medicine in both rotations but with major differences in patient populations.

So why couldn't they just extend the other primary care fields to do it all at once?? That's kinda dumb. They could just make the other ones each a little longer so you get both insured and uninsured at the same time?? Well that's just my opinion anyhow, but who knows maybe it works better for them.

I'm watching the game. I like that football helmet hair that guy has. Pretty creative. I'm rooting for Michigan btw...

heh... Petway is something else. Did you see when he dunked over like 3 people last half ?

Status
Not open for further replies.