Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XVII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted106503

random

werd2.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Working in Belfast I had the best job schedule EVER. I only had to be in the office from 11 am - 9 pm and I could do my lesson planning whenever I wanted to so I usually worked from 10 pm to 1 am.

PERFECT schedule for me :D

So maybe IM isn't the best for me? :smuggrin:
(And the EM thing is contagious... I'm seriously starting to consider it. It's so flexible I think it would let me do other stuff I really want to do like get a MA in Philosophy at some point... I'm sure I'd be pretty easy to work classes around that schedule.)

haha, i know. how cool is it to work an 8am-8pm shift for example and then have the next day off? :D 12, twelve hour shifts a month = full time in emergency medicine. :cool:

now if only it werent so damn competitive :mad:

<------ tries not to freak out so much. i mean worst case, i scramble into IM in idaho or something. :scared: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Working in Belfast I had the best job schedule EVER. I only had to be in the office from 11 am - 9 pm and I could do my lesson planning whenever I wanted to so I usually worked from 10 pm to 1 am.

PERFECT schedule for me :D

So maybe IM isn't the best for me? :smuggrin:
(And the EM thing is contagious... I'm seriously starting to consider it. It's so flexible I think it would let me do other stuff I really want to do like get a MA in Philosophy at some point... I'm sure I'd be pretty easy to work classes around that schedule.)

Ha! Yeah of course lifestyle specialties are contagious. To a certain degree I think EM is a life style specialty because it doesn't really have call but shift schedules instead which are like a lot of other jobs. For me, if I could get over the fast paced nature and the fact that a high percentage of EM is procedural (i'd have to become confident with dealing with fast paced and learning procedural things) then I'd consider it too. I'm kind of scared of things like surgery because my left hand is shaky. but I guess that's something you learn with experience. Who is to know what wouldhappen once I eventually make it to med school.

haha, i know. how cool is it to work an 8am-8pm shift for example and then have the next day off? :D 12, twelve hour shifts a month = full time in emergency medicine. :cool:

now if only it werent so damn competitive :mad:

<------ tries not to freak out so much. i mean worst case, i scramble into IM in idaho or something. :scared: :laugh:

So where are the places you'd consider applying to for EM?? Also, you mentioned your EM department didn't have a residency program so where else besides Tampa has one in Florida? I'm assuming Mayo in Jax or Shands Jax. What about ORMC?

I also know one of the DO hospitals in St. Pete has EM residents but I think that is a DO residency program.

I'm kind of scared of things like surgery because my left hand is shaky. but I guess that's something you learn with experience. Who is to know what wouldhappen once I eventually make it to med school.
My dad had to stop surgery when the Parkinson's began to set in in earnest. I'm worried that if there's a genetic component that might happen to me too. But I'd rather do what really excites me for awhile and have that to look back on than never to have tried at all. But I guess at this point I'm not really SURE that I'll like procedures but I am pretty good under pressure.

So where are the places you'd consider applying to for EM?? Also, you mentioned your EM department didn't have a residency program so where else besides Tampa has one in Florida? I'm assuming Mayo in Jax or Shands Jax. What about ORMC?

I also know one of the DO hospitals in St. Pete has EM residents but I think that is a DO residency program.

there's USF, Orlando regional, UF jacksonville and UF gainesville. thats it. DO residencies arent open to MD apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
My dad had to stop surgery when the Parkinson's began to set in in earnest. I'm worried that if there's a genetic component that might happen to me too. But I'd rather do what really excites me for awhile and have that to look back on than never to have tried at all. But I guess at this point I'm not really SURE that I'll like procedures but I am pretty good under pressure.

procedures are such a rush. im such a baby still, i get excited over blood draws and taking out foleys or staples. :laugh:

hopefully in a few years ill be cracking chests in the trauma bays and performing cardiac massage without even having a second thought.

EM is competitive?

currently its slightly more competitive than general surgery. :eek:

only derm, ophtho, plastics, ENT are more competive. all the specialties go through periods of being really hot, my damn luck EM is heating up. by next year its going to be BAD if it keeps trending up. =/

its so funny how things shift though, back in 2003 for example OB/Gyn was competitive, today.... well, anyone can basically match into ob/gyn. in 2003 it was the opposite with EM, it wasnt competive and today it is.

I love heros. I'm addicted. I did miss like 2 episodes but I got caught up (somewhat).

i know! i had like 8 episodes in my tivo that i had been meaning to see. i just kept watching other stuff ahead of it. after i started watching it i got hooked, i watched all 8 of those episodes over a couple of days. :laugh:

you and i seem to like the same TV. :laugh:

Ha! Yeah of course lifestyle specialties are contagious. To a certain degree I think EM is a life style specialty because it doesn't really have call but shift schedules instead which are like a lot of other jobs. For me, if I could get over the fast paced nature and the fact that a high percentage of EM is procedural (i'd have to become confident with dealing with fast paced and learning procedural things) then I'd consider it too. I'm kind of scared of things like surgery because my left hand is shaky. but I guess that's something you learn with experience. Who is to know what wouldhappen once I eventually make it to med school.
I like the EM part of the "lifestyle" but I don't know if I'd get bored/burnout if I wasn't in an ER that didn't have fast-track stuff, although you never know. Its great money too.

I like my "lifestyle" specialty peds ... family friendly and in the right practice you make your own hours (other than call).

currently its slightly more competitive than general surgery. :eek:

only derm, ophtho, plastics, ENT are more competive. all the specialties go through periods of being really hot, my damn luck EM is heating up. by next year its going to be BAD if it keeps trending up. =/

its so funny how things shift though, back in 2003 for example OB/Gyn was competitive, today.... well, anyone can basically match into ob/gyn. in 2003 it was the opposite with EM, it wasnt competive and today it is.

I was looking at the nrmp data and it looks like gen surg is more competitive than EM by positions offered/filled. (83% to 75%)

But whatever - EM has a 75% fill rate for 2006 for matched students which is pretty good for a "primary-type" specialty. (http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/tables/table6_06.pdf)

I think you are looking to match at the perfect time, too - there's def. more interest in EM but it's not impossible - yet. Probably will be by the time I get ready to do the match (5 years), and knowing my luck, it'll be damn competitive by then :smuggrin:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
hmmmmmmm....... maybe. ;)

can you tell im desperate?!?! bwahahahah, just kidding ana. :p
Two words: Red Duke :smuggrin: Hey if you don't want that spot, can I borrow your Step score and apply for it?

Could you go do something else for a few years and try to match again into EM?

HOLY CRAPOLA - I was just looking at the matchoutcomes PDF and 10% of those trying for EM have AOA :eek: I didn't think it was that important.

You'll be fine A! No worries! Although you might want to look all over the southeast. There are tons of good programs!!!! And thanks for the IM last night :D

So how is life of a trauma surgeon?

ah you know mush, saving lives, cracking chests, cross clamping aortas... the usual. :laugh:

seriously though, its great. very exciting. i love being on call at the trauma center, tomorrow is my next call. ill be there from 530am monday until 830am tuesday which is nuts I know but never knowing whats coming in next is soooo cool.... you never know if you're about to get a page about a gun shot victim coming in by helicopter thats 3 minutes out.... or a roll over motor vehicle accident coming in by ambulance. just very cool.

I love heros. I'm addicted. I did miss like 2 episodes but I got caught up (somewhat).
I knew I would get addicted (because I love X-men; my dad used to read the comics as bedtime stories for me) so I had be avoiding it while I was still in classes. Now I'm seriously addicted :rolleyes:

I like the EM part of the "lifestyle" but I don't know if I'd get bored/burnout if I wasn't in an ER that didn't have fast-track stuff, although you never know. Its great money too.

I like my "lifestyle" specialty peds ... family friendly and in the right practice you make your own hours (other than call).

Yeah - I want to live in a rural/small "big" town area. Carbondale/Marion or Champaign/Urbana sized would be perfect. I don't know how heterogeneous the EM admissions would be though for areas like that. Probably MVAs, hunting accidents, domestic abuse, and alcohol/weed/meth-related injuries!

i know! i had like 8 episodes in my tivo that i had been meaning to see. i just kept watching other stuff ahead of it. after i started watching it i got hooked, i watched all 8 of those episodes over a couple of days. :laugh:

you and i seem to like the same TV. :laugh:
You watch the gilmore girls, veronica mars, bones, ugly betty, greys anatomy and men in trees too? NO WAY! :p Also add scrubs, ER, What about Brian, family guy, CSI, and I'm sure I'm leaving out something else to my DVR list.

that's b/c all the cool kids like ourselves watch all the cool shows. Either that or were the two biggest dorks ever ;) Do you watch battlestar galactica? I got hooked on that. If you haven't seen it, at least watch the pilot then season 1 and 2. Such a great show although its getting a little over the top in some regards now. They are dragging out this story line I think to get another season out of the show!

I taped black donnellys to see what that is about, I'll get to it eventually.

Long live alias!

Send him over...my parents are coming next weekend. Ugh.

No way!

But he is kind of freaking me out. I literally took the LAST BITE of my breakfast and he took the bowl right out of my hands to the kitchen. He sometimes gets a little condescending about "taking care of me" when i have study time coming up. It's like having attitude without real attitude (passive-aggressive?)

that's b/c all the cool kids like ourselves watch all the cool shows. Either that or were the two biggest dorks ever ;) Do you watch battlestar galactica? I got hooked on that. If you haven't seen it, at least watch the pilot then season 1 and 2. Such a great show although its getting a little over the top in some regards now. They are dragging out this story line I think to get another season out of the show!

I taped black donnellys to see what that is about, I'll get to it eventually.

Long live alias!

BSG is the shiznit. I love that show. Have you watched the new Dr. Who? It's awesome. (#9 Doctor is Eccleson (sp?) from Heroes, the invisible guy, and he was a GREAT doctor).

My DVR list: Mystery Diagnosis, House, Scrubs, BSG, Dr. Who, Family Guy, MASH re-runs take up most of the space to tell the truth :oops:

Edit: Grey's Anatomy and Southpark too.

ah you know mush, saving lives, cracking chests, cross clamping aortas... the usual. :laugh:

seriously though, its great. very exciting. i love being on call at the trauma center, tomorrow is my next call. ill be there from 530am monday until 830am tuesday which is nuts I know but never knowing whats coming in next is soooo cool.... you never know if you're about to get a page about a gun shot victim coming in by helicopter thats 3 minutes out.... or a roll over motor vehicle accident coming in by ambulance. just very cool.
It sounds it. It makes me want to do a trauma rotation. :D

I knew I would get addicted (because I love X-men; my dad used to read the comics as bedtime stories for me) so I had be avoiding it while I was still in classes. Now I'm seriously addicted :rolleyes:
yeah me too (being the comic book girl that I am) But it really is a GREAT show, although I missed out on who claires dad was1?!?!?!?!

Yeah - I want to live in a rural/small "big" town area. Carbondale/Marion or Champaign/Urbana sized would be perfect. I don't know how heterogeneous the EM admissions would be though for areas like that. Probably MVAs, hunting accidents, domestic abuse, and alcohol/weed/meth-related injuries!

That is the issue I have, for NICU you have to be in a "city" and I really don't want to be. I'd love to come back to tulsa to work b/c actually its a nice small city. But I might be interested in research so who knows? My husband and would like to live in a "rural"ish area, at least with lots of land etc. Most areas where they have a level III isn't compatible. As well as if my husband does a pulm/cc fellowship then we both probably want a suburban type hospital. But hey, I might get sick of school and just want out ASAP and ditch NICU (I am doubting it though ...). I'd consider peds hospitalist though too ...

Two words: Red Duke :smuggrin: Hey if you don't want that spot, can I borrow your Step score and apply for it?

Could you go do something else for a few years and try to match again into EM?

HOLY CRAPOLA - I was just looking at the matchoutcomes PDF and 10% of those trying for EM have AOA :eek: I didn't think it was that important.

for EM, AOA isnt such a big deal... check out the AOA numbers for derm or plastics to freak out. research projects are big for EM though, 83% of people that matched were involved with at least 1 project. meaning i have to get my butt in gear and find some research project here on campus i can help on. publishing would be great, but only 45% of the ones that matched had published. it all depends on the type of program you apply too, some of the programs are very into research and want their residents cranking out case reports and research all the time. others couldnt care less and just want to train you to be an EM doc, straight up. so.... ill try to get involved with a project just to be part of that 83% but i doubt ill get published in 6 months which is no big deal for me since im considering the more clinical programs anyways, not the ones that are cramming research down your throat 24/7.

That is the issue I have, for NICU you have to be in a "city" and I really don't want to be. I'd love to come back to tulsa to work b/c actually its a nice small city. But I might be interested in research so who knows? My husband and would like to live in a "rural"ish area, at least with lots of land etc. Most areas where they have a level III isn't compatible. As well as if my husband does a pulm/cc fellowship then we both probably want a suburban type hospital. But hey, I might get sick of school and just want out ASAP and ditch NICU (I am doubting it though ...). I'd consider peds hospitalist though too ...

There are NICU's in both areas I mentioned and in areas around where I'm interested in. In fact, both areas have excellent health services (Southern Illinois Healthcare and Carle Healthcare). NICU there would be interesting because of the wide rural service area, but straight ER could be iffy. Oh well, that's just a passing fancy for interesting specialties right now. We gotta get thru med school first I guess.

BSG is the shiznit. I love that show. Have you watched the new Dr. Who? It's awesome. (#9 Doctor is Eccleson (sp?) from Heroes, the invisible guy, and he was a GREAT doctor).

My DVR list: Mystery Diagnosis, House, Scrubs, BSG, Dr. Who, Family Guy, MASH re-runs take up most of the space to tell the truth :oops:

Edit: Grey's Anatomy and Southpark too.
I've caught one or two episodes including the finale (I think). It was pretty good I just never had it on scifi when it was on. Didn't they get separated supposedly "permanently" on the finale this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.