Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XXVII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
'sup!

I didn't see a new one started so I took the initiative....

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get an update e-mail, Funk? When were you complete? I got the "complete" message on Sept. 4 and haven't heard back yet.
i think i've been complete since 8/21. I get..

The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail.

which just sounds like a pre-interview hold to me

i think i've been complete since 8/21. I get..

The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are able to grant an interview you will be notified by e-mail.

which just sounds like a pre-interview hold to me
Yeah, you're probably right. I guess it's 2 more weeks till I hear from them. Working on Minnesota's secondary...it's brutal, because it asks one question for which I literally have nothing to talk about:

Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician

1) My early life experiences are irrelevant considering how I didn't start considering medicine until 3 years ago (and discussed all that in my PS).

2) No one in my family is a doctor or any other sort of medical professional and no one ever encouraged me to become a doctor.

3) I don't even know what the hell my "home community" is anymore.:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just pulled myself off of secondary hiatus to finish one of the last few I'm doing.
Yeah, I really need to get Rosalind Franklin and Creighton done. I'm 99% positive I'm not going to submit Stony Brook's, OOS acceptance rates are way too low, and with my stats and a general lack of interest in spending more $ on schools that are extremely unlikely to consider me, I don't think I'm gonna bother.

:sleep: I have GOT to start getting to bed earlier. :oops:

Hahaha...I feel you. I was dragging during class this morning. "Suprascapular..." :sleep:... "transverse cervicle..." :sleep:... "intercostal..." :sleep: :sleep: ... "you need to know these four things for sure!" :eek: :confused: :scared:

Yeah... I'll sleep after my OMM practical. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's a bummer. I had a nagging feeling after the interview that something just wasn't right, and I'm not entirely sure if that's what put me on the alternate list or not.

I suppose it's never a good sign when my interviewer was the biochem professor and said he's concerned about me not having had biochem and thinks I'll struggle with it.

I just wish CCOM would make their decisions sooner - I'm really wanting to go there.

Just called a certain school to see how come I'm not complete yet and the staffer was extremely rude to me...:rolleyes: No introduction, no "hello," and interrupted me in the middle of my first sentence, then put me on hold for 10 mins without even saying she was gonna put me on hold. Then she claimed that "if you had indeed sent the letters, I would have most certainly received them." But out of the 2 LORs I was missing, I know one person is for sure on top of his stuff (sends everything out the day I request, including weekends), so I found it very hard to believe. I e-mailed him and he said he went to his fax machine and the letter shows as gone through on 8/31...so basically they just lost it. And you know what, it would've been totally fine if they just said, "I'm sorry, we're overwhelmed, and we think we lost it, so could you please resend" but why 1) be rude and condescending 2) go and blame me and my LOR writers immediately without even saying that it could very likely be your fault?

Urgh.:rolleyes: I know I shouldn't base my opinion of a school based on one individual's behaviour, but it's very hard not to.

sorry meg and jochi. sounds like a crappy day all around. physics is good today, got back three 98+ grades on hwk and quizzes. nidterm wed but we can have a cheat sheet we make up ourselves. hehe. awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
In other news, got a student host for my Case interview, I picked her because she's from Minnesota (where I went to undergrad)...they also gave us a list of 4th-year students who said they'd be happy to talk to prospective students about their experiences and interests, and there's one girl whose interests (underserved populations, rural practice) are right up my alley. I'm gonna e-mail her closer to my interview and see if we can grab lunch or coffee together the day before. Excited!:thumbup: The student host was very nice, too, she said that instead of letting interviewees sleep on the floor/couch, she always gives people her bed, since interviewees need sleep more than she does. I liked that logic.:laugh:

sorry meg and jochi. sounds like a crappy day all around.
Haha, nah, no worries...the fact that some school was mean to me is definitely outweighed by the fact that I've got an interview lined up at a great school. :thumbup: And my LOR writer was also very nice to me when I told him about my troubles re: getting complete at schools, saying that I'm very organized and on top of my stuff and that he wonders just how bad it would be for someone who isn't if it's like that for me...so I'm not feeling bad at all!:hardy:

MUST....REMOVE...SELF...FROM...SDN!!!!

*puts the computer in another room*

I'll hear if anyone messages me on MSN, but other than that, everything and everyone else can definitely wait until I at least read these 19 pages of orgo.:laugh:

meh, not really into the match up
how about them new york football giants coming back to win :)

too bad they suck :(

The saints haven't had a promising start this season, but my heart is with them. N.O. is as close to a "home" football team we can get.

In other news, it's finishing physics lab, eating dinner, and studying for physics and micro. Woohoo.

Let's see how much info we can cram onto one page of computer paper.. I'm thinking I can practically get the whole 4 chapters of the midterm on there. Haha.

The saints haven't had a promising start this season, but my heart is with them. N.O. is as close to a "home" football team we can get.

In other news, it's finishing physics lab, eating dinner, and studying for physics and micro. Woohoo.

Let's see how much info we can cram onto one page of computer paper.. I'm thinking I can practically get the whole 4 chapters of the midterm on there. Haha.
sorry about the saints

sorry about the saints

Thanks :( Guess I'll be rooting for the Packers for most of the season... (Brett's a homegrown MS-ian, and his house is abt ten fifteen mins from mine, so I see him a lot around town a lot during offseason)

Finished half of my crib sheet... and it contains more info than most people could get on two pages. :thumbup::thumbup::laugh: you'd think i had experience with these.... :rolleyes:

Still feeling fairly crappy and headed to bed... it's an early morning and long day. Going to talk to my micro prof in the morning abt possibly switching M.S. degrees... we offer one in bio now and i'm bored as hell in the psych one, plus I'll never use it. My advisor actually had a great idea for once. He was extremely supportive today in the classes I chose for the rest of the year and my plan of action for this year and next (if needed). :thumbup:

Hahaha...I feel you. I was dragging during class this morning. "Suprascapular..." :sleep:... "transverse cervicle..." :sleep:... "intercostal..." :sleep: :sleep: ... "you need to know these four things for sure!" :eek: :confused: :scared:

Yeah... I'll sleep after my OMM practical. :rolleyes:
HEY- you shaved! :laugh:

meg- sorry about the alternate list. If it helps, I got a nice little post-secondary rejection letter via snail mail today.

Morning guys! I'm off to micro. Feeling much much better this morning, so it should be a good day. Actually have lots of work to do at work, so I'll stay busy (always good) and there's physics studying to be done in the meantime.

Countdown to HOUSE! Who's excited (or am I the only HOUSE nerd?)?

Morning guys! I'm off to micro. Feeling much much better this morning, so it should be a good day. Actually have lots of work to do at work, so I'll stay busy (always good) and there's physics studying to be done in the meantime.

Good morning, gradu8. Glad you feel better. :)

I have my OMM practical today. Many 2nd years failed last year, so I'm a bit nervous. I have a few hours of studying left. Wish me luck. :scared:

Countdown to HOUSE! Who's excited (or am I the only HOUSE nerd?)?

I like that show, too. When's it going to come on?

Good morning, gradu8. Glad you feel better. :)

I have my OMM practical today. Many 2nd years failed last year, so I'm a bit nervous. I have a few hours of studying left. Wish me luck. :scared:

I like that show, too. When's it going to come on?

Best of :luck:
HOUSE is at 9EST/8CST on FOX.

tulane definitely is giving me the silent treatment

but then again, every school is :rolleyes:
I just finaly sent my secondary there via Express Post last week...I had it done since early September, but didn't have $. My LORs were sent there a while ago. But with the amount of apps they get, I bet it's gonna be a while before they get to me.

One more question before tomorrow's disastrous midterm..

A student doing a lab exp. drops a small solid cube into a cylindrical glass of water. THe inner diameter of the glass is 6.00cm. The cube sinks to the bottom, and the water level in the glass rises 1.00cm. If the mass of the cube is 73.6g
a)determine the length of one side of the cube
b)calculate the cube's density (work in cgs units for convenience)

Let's see... The displaced water is 1.00cm = 1ml.. correct? So the M/V = density. However, the answers are
a)3.05cm
b)2.60g/cm3

Help?! (For some reason the "easy" stuff is always the hardest)

One more question before tomorrow's disastrous midterm..

A student doing a lab exp. drops a small solid cube into a cylindrical glass of water. THe inner diameter of the glass is 6.00cm. The cube sinks to the bottom, and the water level in the glass rises 1.00cm. If the mass of the cube is 73.6g
a)determine the length of one side of the cube
b)calculate the cube's density (work in cgs units for convenience)

Let's see... The displaced water is 1.00cm = 1ml.. correct? So the M/V = density. However, the answers are
a)3.05cm
b)2.60g/cm3

Help?! (For some reason the "easy" stuff is always the hardest)

No, no! Check again, the water did rise 1 cm, but that's in a cylinder with a 6 cm diameter. The size of the water's surface matters - imagine throwing, say, a can of tuna into a 2-gallon aquarium vs. a bathtub - the water in the aquarium will rise a lot higher.

Heard back from Albany re: being complete. They said they have a backlog of mail from September 6!:eek: I sent my letters there via Interfolio on August 27th, so I guess if you consider the holiday, it COULD have taken till September 6th to deliver, but I dunno...sounds kinda fishy. I guess I'll check back in a week.

No, no! Check again, the water did rise 1 cm, but that's in a cylinder with a 6 cm diameter. The size of the water's surface matters - imagine throwing, say, a can of tuna into a 2-gallon aquarium vs. a bathtub - the water in the aquarium will rise a lot higher.

Thanks! I"m such a dumb-a** sometimes.. LOL. :oops:

ARGGGHH! I just got a call from AECOM, and I got all excited thinking I got an interview...but no, apparently I sent them a money order for $100 instead of $110, and they said they couldn't just cash the $100 and wait for me to send the additional $10 (which would be the easy way out). So now they are going to send the money order back to me and I have to figure out how to get the money back before I can send them a new one for $110 - problem is, I got that money order at SuperAmerica when I was down in Minnesota last month! I don't even know how to get in touch with them! ARGGGHHG.

ARGGGHH! I just got a call from AECOM, and I got all excited thinking I got an interview...but no, apparently I sent them a money order for $100 instead of $110, and they said they couldn't just cash the $100 and wait for me to send the additional $10 (which would be the easy way out). So now they are going to send the money order back to me and I have to figure out how to get the money back before I can send them a new one for $110 - problem is, I got that money order at SuperAmerica when I was down in Minnesota last month! I don't even know how to get in touch with them! ARGGGHHG.

You can usually cash money orders at your local bank. They're usually non-refundable as well. You can always get one at 7 Eleven if you need to. :thumbup:

You can usually cash money orders at your local bank. They're usually non-refundable as well. You can always get one at 7 Eleven if you need to. :thumbup:
Yeah, I just called the issuer and they said that my bank will likely agree to do it, and if not, I can mail it to them. I was freaking out because I couldn't find the stub for it, but they said it should be ok. Still, how annoying!

bah, that money grubbing AECOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.