Random non-MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread - Part XXVIII

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
45 hrs of physics left and counting. Is this a commonly shared loathing experience, or am I the only one who just can't stand this junk. (i'm doing fine, just hate it)
a lot of us here are huge nerds and actually like that stuff :)

Finally giving up on the homework for tonight.. I got to an acceptable place. Big cell phys test on Friday so had about abt 3 hrs of that, then a bit of physics (quiz in there on Wed that I haven't started studying for, but it's open book), then spent about an hour working on interview questions... I took a compilation of all the ones I could find on here for UMSOM and made a big list... just getting a general idea of what might be asked and what I might say.

Wore the new shoes today and no blisters :thumbup: I'm getting very excited (and very nervous) about the interview. Did anyone else have last-minute (ok, not last minute - it's two weeks out but ya know) jitters? :scared: I just want to really make the impression that I want in - not look desperate, but have something that makes them say "her mcat might not be perfect, but she's in".

I've even invested in Crest Whitestrips... besides being gross, they actually seem to work... I'm desperate... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Durden- this one's for you, sweetie.

In perusing the Old Navy website tonight, I noticed a banner ad for their shoe partner site, Piperlime. To my shock and dismay, my worst nightmare has been realized in "cozy Crocs", which appear to be the bastard child of Crocs and Uggs, both of which are (IMHO) individually in the running for "Ugliest Shoes of All Time".

pl539688-01qlv01.jpg

:barf: :barf: :barf:

In perusing the Old Navy website tonight, I noticed a banner ad for their shoe partner site, Piperlime. To my shock and dismay, my worst nightmare has been realized in "cozy Crocs", which appear to be the bastard child of Crocs and Uggs, both of which are (IMHO) individually in the running for "Ugliest Shoes of All Time".

pl539688-01qlv01.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

pl539688-01qlv01.jpg

this is a real shoe??
:barf:

at least croc on the inside, uggs on the outside would be a much better idea

pl539688-01qlv01.jpg

haaha, they are indeed so ugly, but they do look cozy. :) i would just never ever let anyone see them on my feet.

Members don't see this ad :)
it is quite a rarrr day.

and a coffee shop day. but isn't every day like that?

Pretty much every day that ends in "Y". Orgo lab was halfway fun - we made crystals - and class wasn't bad either. I have another one from 6-10 (Alcohol & Drug Abuse Counseling)... which reminds me, I need to order the "addiction" dvd from amazon for our presentation. I'll do that when I get home tonight (at lord knows what time).

Wish I had my cell phys stuff, I'd totally study during class tonight. :sleep:

45 hrs of physics left and counting. Is this a commonly shared loathing experience, or am I the only one who just can't stand this junk. (i'm doing fine, just hate it)
No, it's a commonly shared experience, trust me.:smuggrin:

Just wrote my A&P midterm, and it looks like I only made 3 mistakes for sure, so I've got a shot at an A+. There's only one more Q I was not sure about and the book doesn't answer it directly - can someone else clarify?

When you are sitting in a chair, your weight rests on:
a) iliac bones
b) ischial bones
c) sacrum
d) coccyx

pl539688-01qlv01.jpg

Pingouin - we are of the same mind. I have loathed both Crocs and Uggs for some time now. When will people realize that what they have on their feet is da*n ugly? I can understand making modest fashion compromises for comfort's sake, but this is just too much.

Gradu8 - glad to hear you found some good, comfy interview shoes! You're gonna knock 'em dead!

And Durden and Funky - shoes are a FABULOUS topic for the random forum, IMHO. :D You guys can roll your eyes, but yet, you have to admit to being suckers for a gal in hot shoes. They totally make the outfit! (Case in point - I'm not sure you can look hot while wearing Uggs . . . unless that's all you're wearing . . . and in that case, stillettos would be better. :laugh:)

I'm with you! I hate physics with a passion. Way back when I was an architecture major and I finished my required physics class, I took such joy in ripping my notes to shreds afterward, basking in the thought that I would NEVER again have to take physics. HA!!!!! Life is really cruel sometimes. :rolleyes:

So, here's a good random topic; did anyone watch "Two and a Half Men" last night? (Not the syndicated version, but the current season.) I'm sure many of you are too busy for such trivialities, and I can't say that I'm a regular viewer . . . but I have perhaps NEVER laughed so hard in my whole life (with the possible exception of viewing the dinner table scene in "Talledega Nights"). It was so funny, my cheek muscles hurt afterward.

No, it's a commonly shared experience, trust me.:smuggrin:

Just wrote my A&P midterm, and it looks like I only made 3 mistakes for sure, so I've got a shot at an A+. There's only one more Q I was not sure about and the book doesn't answer it directly - can someone else clarify?

When you are sitting in a chair, your weight rests on:
a) iliac bones
b) ischial bones
c) sacrum
d) coccyx

Ischial tuberosities

Glad to hear the exam went well.

And Durden and Funky - shoes are a FABULOUS topic for the random forum, IMHO. :D You guys can roll your eyes, but yet, you have to admit to being suckers for a gal in hot shoes. They totally make the outfit! (Case in point - I'm not sure you can look hot while wearing Uggs . . . unless that's all you're wearing . . . and in that case, stillettos would be better. :laugh:)

BP. ;)

Of course shoes are the first thing we males notice on gals. :rolleyes:

With that being said though, I was always fond of the girls who combined Uggs with super short skirts. Kinda defeated the purpose of wearing boots in my opinion, but hey, I'm not going to complain.

shoes are hot. oftentimes a good pair of shoes makes me feel at least a few times sexier than I did with the complete outfit minus the shoes. maybe its just me. lol.

the coke machine jus stole a dollar from me. didn't just steal, but acted like it was going to give it to me and didnt!!

the aquafresh whitening trays? it looks like it's working well... except i was a mouth full of drool for 30 minutes. i was so relieved when the timer went off

So... I am a level 70 high warlord beast master tauren hunter in World of Warcraft and I just now learned how to make my pet taunt. :rolleyes:
you're still into wow? is that game still as popular as before?

The "three days of hell" (my reference to Mon-Wed and their awful schedules) are over. Finally got home from an hr+ commute... a bad wreck caused the normal 15-20 min one to turn into over an hour. About to shower and be sure my lab notebook looks A-OK for Orgo tomorrow. Cell Phys test Friday and finals (Bio, Inorg) Monday. I think there may be a bit of light at the end of the tunnel... or at least a pumpkin pie....

Mmmm . . . pie! I can't believe Thanksgiving is a week away. :scared: But at the same time, I am so excited for the food and the break from work!

Same here. It's still fairly hot here (or was yesterday, apparently we had a cold front come through during the night so hopefully it's more thanksgiving-like now).
Orgo this morning, followed by a nice nap and then studying for tomorrow's Cell Phys test. Hope everyone has a great Thursday!

Someone help me out with this one . . . I'm still not 100% on my internet acronyms. (Before present? British Petroleum? Best post (ever)? :laugh: Ok, the need for sleep has become apparent!)

Ask pingouin. If I explain her trademarked phrase, I'll over her another secondary application fee (and my tab is already three or four). :scared:

Hope you get better soon Meg!

kay, for those of you that are online - what would you do in this situation????

I got a med school interview scheduled on 12/4 and jury duty on 12/11. I'm a self-employed therapist and do speech evals on Tuesdays for Early Intervention. Apparently they already had me scheduled into December and when I called today to let them know my conflicts for 12/4 and 12/11, I got my ass chewed.

Apparently I'm inconsiderate and unthoughtful and really don't want to help them out because I have a medical school interview and jury duty. Jury duty can't be helped, but I let them know in August that interview season was coming up and that I may only give short notice if one happens to come my way. And this is 3 weeks' notice!!!!!!!!!! AND, I gave them about 5 other days I could come to reschedule them and make sure they get done. But that just wasn't good enough for them. Oh, did I mention it's 1.5 hours away and I go there because no other SLP will? It's good money, too, but I really don't need that attitude.

This happened at 8:30 this morning, and after briefly discussing it with my husband, I decided I'm going to stop going there after the first of the New Year. I can get other work close to home - may not be as much money, but I value my dignity and sanity a little bit more at this point.

Now, how do I break the news? Call them, fax them, tell them in person next time I'm there (Tues after Thanksgiving)?

as am I, lil. :( both Wed and Thurs overnight. I will either sleep through the Turkey Festivities altogether, or drag my arse up and to my best friend's and then come home and crash.

thanksgiving is a holiday where you just sit around and overeat

seriously, i do that like every day :D

kay, for those of you that are online - what would you do in this situation????

I got a med school interview scheduled on 12/4 and jury duty on 12/11. I'm a self-employed therapist and do speech evals on Tuesdays for Early Intervention. Apparently they already had me scheduled into December and when I called today to let them know my conflicts for 12/4 and 12/11, I got my ass chewed.

Apparently I'm inconsiderate and unthoughtful and really don't want to help them out because I have a medical school interview and jury duty. Jury duty can't be helped, but I let them know in August that interview season was coming up and that I may only give short notice if one happens to come my way. And this is 3 weeks' notice!!!!!!!!!! AND, I gave them about 5 other days I could come to reschedule them and make sure they get done. But that just wasn't good enough for them. Oh, did I mention it's 1.5 hours away and I go there because no other SLP will? It's good money, too, but I really don't need that attitude.

This happened at 8:30 this morning, and after briefly discussing it with my husband, I decided I'm going to stop going there after the first of the New Year. I can get other work close to home - may not be as much money, but I value my dignity and sanity a little bit more at this point.

Now, how do I break the news? Call them, fax them, tell them in person next time I'm there (Tues after Thanksgiving)?
i would either call or tell them in person. It's the most professional thing to do IMO.

Employers who are not very understanding are just a pain. But they'll just have to get over it and move on.

i would either call or tell them in person. It's the most professional thing to do IMO.

Employers who are not very understanding are just a pain. But they'll just have to get over it and move on.

Ahhh, but they're not my employer! I just do my thing. I called them today and let them know.

As of 1/1/08, I'm cutting out 4 counties in Illinois and lots of mileage on my car :thumbup:

One day left to go in the week... woohoo. Cell Phys test tomorrow. New class, repeat teacher (so i know the exam style). A couple more hours should have me well prepared.

As far as Monday's tests go - I have a 94.765 if I take a 0 on my biology one (granted, I have to at least TAKE it, but who cares what I make - a 90 is an A).

I need approximately 155 pts in Chemistry... the lecture final is worth 200 and the lab final is worth 50... so I should be alright with that one as well. Maybe she'll finish grading labs before I take the test Monday, it'd be nice to be a little more sure of exactly what I need (or don't need).

Better put that in terms of dollars. He might think he could get away with four Cincinnati 2ndary fees ($25, if I remember correctly) as opposed to four Georgetowns ($130, I think . . . ouch). ;)

Pingouin is evil enough already without you helping her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.