Random non–MCAT and only peripherally related to the MCAT thread Part XXX!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PBandJ

hot dog back in action!
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
TRIPLE X randudes and randudettes!!

I had to start the new one b/c the old one should have technically been closed a while ago, and we need reviving!! RANDOM THREAD MUST NOT DIE! :)

And just for yucks, here's a dog with a bunch of tennis balls in his mouth!

4.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah stillers!!

in other news, have any of you guys decided on what you're going to do when you grow up? i'm still working on that one. :p
i dunno...maybe an astronaut

actually i have no clue

I was just thinking about trying to find a thread (God knows there's GOT to be a thread on everything here in SDNland) like this and revive it today. Glad someone else beat me to it.

I'm thinking about being a world traveler...sorta need funds for that though

I want to travel, too. Funds are my issue, too. UGH.

But it's still fun to dream? Where would you want to go? List your top five places to visit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else dropping tons of weight while studying for the Beast?

I put on a pair of shorts yesterday that I hadn't worn since last year and they literally fell off. Kinda surprising since I have ended up cutting back on gym time :rolleyes:

Like right now, I'm hungry and I really want pad thai. I have one of those kits in my kitchen but don't want to take 20 min away from reviewing my practice exam....

The obvious solution? Drink a diet coke. Pretty sure I'm going to end up with scurvy by the end of this mess.

Last edited:

I put on a pair of shorts yesterday that I hadn't worn since last year and they literally fell off. Kinda surprising since I have ended up cutting back on gym time :rolleyes:

Like right now, I'm hungry and I really want pad thai. I have one of those kits in my kitchen but don't want to take 20 min away from reviewing my practice exam....

The obvious solution? Drink a diet coke. Pretty sure I'm going to end up with scurvy by the end of this mess.

I am losing a lot of weight, too. Granted I'm running and swimming, but I've been compensating with Reese's ice cream on a daily basis. Studying = stress = weight loss = dropping dress sizes like no man's (or lady's) business.

If you get scurvy, I'm going to turn into Popeye the Sailorman. I've been eating ridic amounts of spinach lately. And drinking lots of milk and water...

I am losing a lot of weight, too. Granted I'm running and swimming, but I've been compensating with Reese's ice cream on a daily basis. Studying = stress = weight loss = dropping dress sizes like no man's (or lady's) business.

If you get scurvy, I'm going to turn into Popeye the Sailorman. I've been eating ridic amounts of spinach lately. And drinking lots of milk and water...

:eek: Maybe I'm not as focused as you guys...but I tend to eat more haha. Studying always makes me hungry so I have to keep something nearby. I try to work out every day but can't justify the 3 hours it will take away from my schedule. Ugh, I really need to drop serious poundage too....damn freshman+sophmore+junior 30

PS I'm new to this thread as well

Last edited:
:eek: Maybe I'm not as focused as you guys...but I tend to eat more haha. Studying always makes me hungry so I have to keep something nearby. I try to work out every day but can't justify the 3 hours it will take away from my schedule. Ugh, I really need to drop serious poundage too....damn freshman+sophmore+junior 30

PS I'm new to this thread as well

I'm new blood, tooo. Yayyyyyyy newbies.

Yeah, I gained the college 30. Sucked. I'm STILL paying/working it off. But with the opening of the pools, it makes things a little easier :)

haha no we welcome new blood. Premise of these threads were created when a former Fl. medical school alum was about to start med school and decided to create a place for people to destress from mcat.

Instead it became a chat group between a few posters who periodically bump up the latest of these threads.

So of course anyone is welcome.

Awesome. I read some of your history to make sure it was okay to re-bump this. It was totally on my mind for a while (because hi, my name is MDminded, and I am a SDN addict). Glad it already existed, and happy to be a part of it.

So...why the XXX? Does it correlate to super bowl numbers or something?

Awesome. I read some of your history to make sure it was okay to re-bump this. It was totally on my mind for a while (because hi, my name is MDminded, and I am a SDN addict). Glad it already existed, and happy to be a part of it.

So...why the XXX? Does it correlate to super bowl numbers or something?
This is thread #30.

The original threads had 10,000 posts each. Then for a while SDN created this dumb rule about only 1000 posts per thread. so then there were like tons of threads opening and closing for this thread to continue. So that's how we got to part 30 of this thread.

That's funny (1000 posts only), but neat. There's SDN history/your lives archived away.

So everyone is at different stages of their careers, eh? How many actually pursued medicine and how many ended up going down a different path?

If anything I gain weight while studying. I finish a practice exam and think, "I deserve ice cream. LOTS of ice cream."

If anything I gain weight while studying. I finish a practice exam and think, "I deserve ice cream. LOTS of ice cream."

Sometimes I think that, but lately, now that I'm at the 2-month countdown, time is my limiting factor, so all I can do is look like a crazed nut with my eyes looking like this guy: :eek:

and think to myself "I NEED TO STUDYYYYYYY".

speaking of the beast

bowtie - i've got the beast coming up june 20th...this is indeed a very dark time in my life :rolleyes:

I'm the opposite. Although I do eat really unhealthy sometimes (ate some fat wings and some fatty fries too), I've been exercising pretty regularly for once in my life.

After this damn test I can go impress the ladies........

I'm the opposite. Although I do eat really unhealthy sometimes (ate some fat wings and some fatty fries too), I've been exercising pretty regularly for once in my life.

After this damn test I can go impress the ladies........

Fat wings? What do those look like?

Make sure when you impress the ladies, you tell them your profession.

That's funny (1000 posts only), but neat. There's SDN history/your lives archived away.

So everyone is at different stages of their careers, eh? How many actually pursued medicine and how many ended up going down a different path?
I am roughly halfway through my md/phd time now. Back when I started posting here I was still applying, wow. I do think most everyone who stuck with this thread for a while did stick with medicine, but then again if you decided to leave medicine, you prob wouldn't keep posting on the student DOCTOR network, haha.

What are some of the most medically non related EC's that you have?

I.e. if you had to pick an activity (or two) that most defines you outside of your interest in medicine, what would it be? How/why?

I am roughly halfway through my md/phd time now. Back when I started posting here I was still applying, wow. I do think most everyone who stuck with this thread for a while did stick with medicine, but then again if you decided to leave medicine, you prob wouldn't keep posting on the student DOCTOR network, haha.
unless your me!!! :smuggrin:

:ninja:

What are some of the most medically non related EC's that you have?

I.e. if you had to pick an activity (or two) that most defines you outside of your interest in medicine, what would it be? How/why?

Being an RA would be one of my most significant. Teaches you responsibility for your residents, leadership, program planning, time management, etc. I could go one forever. I loved it. :love:

thanks for all the kind words! I will slay the beast.

Btw, for the newcomers - welcome! This is by far the best thread in SDN

Being an RA would be one of my most significant. Teaches you responsibility for your residents, leadership, program planning, time management, etc. I could go one forever. I loved it. :love:

Looking back, I wish I would've been an RA. I think I would have loved it. Except I really like living in an apartment.

I guess I should answer the question too.

I've always loved writing poetry and in college I got into doing slam poetry. I moved to boston last year for work and found a place that hosts a weekly slam open mic. I went for the first time last night. Going to start writing more and performing starting next week.

Huzzah.

Probably cultural things I do like learning bharatanatyam or indian student organizations and stuff. Also, taking photography is a new hobby of mine.

Neat. Photography is pretty cool. I started a photoblog a while ago and will update it more now that I'm done with the MCAT.

Here's a link: http://thefstopblues.wordpress.com/

Looking back, I wish I would've been an RA. I think I would have loved it. Except I really like living in an apartment.

I was an RA one year and the head RA the next. It was a good leadership experience and I had fun doing it. Living with froshies as a senior sucked, though they fixed that for my successor.

yeah, being an RA was good. even though i got stuck in the freshman dorms, i learned a lot of valuable leadership skills. :)

also i second funky's note on this being the best thread on SDN.

man, i have been pretty much MIA from the rest of these forums for a long while now. probably once i get back into the clinical years and start thinking about residency apps i will be back in the swing of things.

thanks for all the kind words! I will slay the beast.

Btw, for the newcomers - welcome! This is by far the best thread in SDN

Looking forward to experiencing some of what the best thread has to offer :D

oh god that test was awful...
hopefully my score will be enough to be competitive in mcdonalds but might have to settle for working at arby's

yeah, being an RA was good. even though i got stuck in the freshman dorms, i learned a lot of valuable leadership skills. :)

I think I would have enjoyed having the authority to tell people to shut the hell up when it's 2am and they're running through the halls and knocking on people's doors...

hmm... i remember this thread!:D

also i second funky's note on this being the best thread on SDN.

man, i have been pretty much MIA from the rest of these forums for a long while now. probably once i get back into the clinical years and start thinking about residency apps i will be back in the swing of things.

PBandJ! So happy to see this thing is still alive, at least in some form. I just graduated from residency and am starting my new job as an attending physician tomorrow. When I started looking at SDN I hadn't even started med school yet. Ridiculous how much time has passed and how great this site continues to be. Just wanted to say hi! I miss the randomness!

Love it.

To my other fam here on this thread, I'm sure u saw I got accepted to med school. YAY finally. :). :). wish me luck. haha.

gujudoc! that is so great! congrats to getting in, where are you going to be? PM me if anything! congrats doc! :cool:

:clap: YAY! Congrats!

mushy!!!! awww mush, congrats to you on everything thats happened with J. Unbelievable. Wait, can I call you mushy? ;)

miss you all! good luck to everyone else in this forum studying now for the MCAT! I had to take that test twice, first time bombing it and the 2nd time murdering it and getting into med school a year later. hang in there everyone, its all possible if you just work hard enough and stick with your dreams. 8 yrs later I'm done with med school and residency and starting to work as an attending. good luck! :luck:

Where would you want to go? List your top five places to visit.

Well I spent August 2010-May 2011 in South America...that was a lot of fun and I visited 10 out of 13 countries, so the next area I want to conquer is Eastern Europe : Czech Republic, Russia, Finland, Turkey, Greece...I guess that's my top 5 right now. I really do want to go to Russia though.

I'm glad the old timers continue to post here :D

Crap, I start 3rd year in a week. VACATION YOU ARE TOO SHORT!