Random Question about Dean of Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sneeze11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when I was talking the Dean of Admissions today I started wondering...
this may be a silly question but

Is the Dean of Admissions also apart of the selection committee or have any influence on who gets in or not?

Members don't see this ad.

So when I was talking the Dean of Admissions today I started wondering...
this may be a silly question but

Is the Dean of Admissions also apart of the selection committee or have any influence on who gets in or not?

It varies, but usually yes, the dean would have influence. I've heard there are some schools, however, where the dean is more of a supervisor and oversees the process, rather than being an active member in the decision making.

It varies, but usually yes, the dean would have influence. I've heard there are some schools, however, where the dean is more of a supervisor and oversees the process, rather than being an active member in the decision making.

And some deans have sole decision making power! (Dean Frantz, Columbia).

Members don't see this ad :)
And some deans have sole decision making power! (Dean Frantz, Columbia).

I highly doubt that any North American school puts this in the hands of a single person. See

http://journals.lww.com/academicmed..._Integrity_of_Medical_School_Admission.1.aspx

The Dean of Admissions may be influencial (because the dean of admissions opinion is highly valued by the decision-makers) and in some cases the dean of admissions may have the power to be the tie-breaking vote.

I think the sole decision making power is reserved for waiting list decisions at some schools. But not completely sure.

Well its Dean Frantz and Nicholas now, but they reserve wait list power only. Columbias adcom is actually pretty darn big.

Hah, guess I was wrong. I heard this from two interns who went to columbia for medschool. Maybe they were wrong about Dean Frantz's infatuation with rugby players too.