Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There's that pesky maturity showing through...:rolleyes: It's really making things quite boring for me

Sometimes it is best to just watch the world burn

My class is probably the one that would have someone be the devil's advocate. That person would probably be me if I'm being honest with myself....

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, if I celebrated satanic holidays, would they be willing to do the same thing they're asking me to do?

You should try that. School administrators start getting practical about religious accommodations when the Satanists take a seat at the table. It's actually quite hilarious and why I love reading stories about Satanists starting after school clubs to proselytize school children or drafting up plans to place Baphomet statues at state courthouses.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm about to send my first school-wide email and I've never been so nervous in my entire life :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Felt bad because I had to call off from work last night because I felt so sick. Come around to this morning and like three or four other staff members also feel awful and are calling off. Someone is spreading the plague around at the desk. :eek:

Felt bad because I had to call off from work last night because I felt so sick. Come around to this morning and like three or four other staff members also feel awful and are calling off. Someone is spreading the plague around at the desk. :eek:
well I mean, it's endemic over there, so probably

(but I hope you feel better soon VMH)

Reactions: 1 user
well I mean, it's endemic over there, so probably

(but I hope you feel better soon VMH)
Funnily enough one of my professors does tons of plague work and has caught the plague before :p

I've been around prairie dog towns and prairie dogs themselves but luckily have never contracted the actual plague. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully this is the right place to post this...but as I get closer to 4th year and the crazy schedule that comes with it, I was wondering what upperclassmen/recent students do/did for their pets during long shifts at the hospitals? I have an aging (11 years old in May) large breed dog that can, at max, hold it for 8 hours. I don't particularly like making him hold it that long and he's been spoiled for the last few years as I've been able to get home at some point during the day, so he normally gets a potty break every 4-5 hours. I was considering getting a pet sitter type person, but I'm going to be very tight on money during my final year. I will have an underclassmen as a roommate that I plan to incentivize, but they won't be here over the summer months.

What worked best for y'all? Any help appreciated, thank you!

Hopefully this is the right place to post this...but as I get closer to 4th year and the crazy schedule that comes with it, I was wondering what upperclassmen/recent students do/did for their pets during long shifts at the hospitals? I have an aging (11 years old in May) large breed dog that can, at max, hold it for 8 hours. I don't particularly like making him hold it that long and he's been spoiled for the last few years as I've been able to get home at some point during the day, so he normally gets a potty break every 4-5 hours. I was considering getting a pet sitter type person, but I'm going to be very tight on money during my final year. I will have an underclassmen as a roommate that I plan to incentivize, but they won't be here over the summer months.

My roommates always used me and I'm planning to use my underclass roommates this coming year. The roommates I've had and I have always done communal dog care. But there was always someone here during the summer so don't have a good suggestion for what you can do during the summer

Does your school have student wards that you could put your doggo in during the day? Or maybe there is a neighbor or friend you can bride with cookies or something to let him out on days you know you won't make it on time?

Does your school have student wards that you could put your doggo in during the day? Or maybe there is a neighbor or friend you can bride with cookies or something to let him out on days you know you won't make it on time?

I have no idea. I've asked the current 4th years about ideas. The only neighbors I trust typically work 8-5...though even being let out at 5pm is better than 9 or 10pm. I'm thinking of recruiting some pre-vetties. There should be plenty of them around this summer, hopefully. What they won't do for sweet, sweet animal experience to put on their apps...

Reactions: 3 users
I have no idea. I've asked the current 4th years about ideas. The only neighbors I trust typically work 8-5...though even being let out at 5pm is better than 9 or 10pm. I'm thinking of recruiting some pre-vetties. There should be plenty of them around this summer, hopefully. What they won't do for sweet, sweet animal experience to put on their apps...
If your dog needs medication those pre-vetties will be lined out the door to help you. :p

Members don't see this ad :)

Depends on the school. When I'm actually on campus, I bring my dog. Some places I visit also allow me to bring her, either for free or for a small fee depending on kennel availability. I do the doggy daycare thing every once in awhile if it's a particularly long week. Having friends/family/boyfriend helps immensely. My dog can hold it for 12+ hours, so I don't worry too much about her which I guess makes me pretty lucky.

Pretty sure some people on Rover actually have cheaper rates for what is just a potty break.

Funnily enough one of my professors does tons of plague work and has caught the plague before :p

I've been around prairie dog towns and prairie dogs themselves but luckily have never contracted the actual plague. :D

That's a morbid badge of honor in the infectious disease professionals' world.

As a pre-vetty, I would probably murder for that sweet, sweet animal experience.

We made animal care a bit of a group effort amongst the 4th years. Created a pet sitting FB page. There was always at least a few fourth years not on rotation or on one of those less time demanding ones who were able to help walk other students pets. Just kind of became a post what you need and see who's available to help. May not be as great because definitely won't have a regular person scheduled to come at x time for your dog, but it is free.

I had a doggie door at my house, which was a lifesaver. It was in our laundry room, so we could shut the dogs in there with a bowl of water and they could go outside but not mess up the house. My roommate was two years behind me and we worked out that if I left dog food on the table in the mornings I expected to be late, she'd put his food down for me that evening but I was rarely there later than 6 or maybe 7 unless I was on a scheduled overnight shift.

Preordered a video game on amazon using a git card that I got for Christmas. But because I know I'll feel bad that I didn't get myself anything, I bought a book too.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I actually had a lot of friends come forward to say they were more than happy to help me out with my senior citizen, so I'm feeling a lot more relieved. And I can always pay (read: bribe pre-vetters) for a potty break if needed in a pinch!

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I actually had a lot of friends come forward to say they were more than happy to help me out with my senior citizen, so I'm feeling a lot more relieved. And I can always pay (read: bribe pre-vetters) for a potty break if needed in a pinch!
I did that for my older friend and she paid me in alcohol so I mean, it was a win-win for me. Puppies and tequila.

This is a rave and a rant...I've walked over 50 miles in a week so far in hawaii (yay!) but I have some pretty obnoxious blisters on my feet because of it (sigh).

Reactions: 6 users
Amazon product

I am desperately searching for this book (this edition but I'd settle for now for 9e) as a pdf. If anyone has it, could you send it my way? I need it for a class o_O

I know you probably did but did you try a very specific google search? That's what I normally do. If not I have a link somewhere that links to a huge pdf book db. I just need to be home with good wifi

Bee tee dubs, turns out @PrincessButterCup and I have totes been hanging out on the necropsy floor and WE DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT.
The necropsy floor is where all the fun stuff happens. :D I don't work Fridays though so it's dumb we didn't realize this sooner. You were exactly like a Labrador puppy, as expected, so I have no idea how I didn't put 2 + 2 together. :p

ImageUploadedBySDN1485786843.784321.jpg

To all my fellow researchers out there

Reactions: 12 users
I just mailed my little sister a potato. :D

Reactions: 9 users
:laugh: With a message on it or just a plain potato?

It will have "Hope you have a spudtacular day! <3, [Ceph]" written on it by one of the fine folks at https://potatoparcel.com/ :D

You just put stamps straight on the potato, right? :D

I think that is a thing, apparently this company does send them in big envelopes, though. Kinda a bummer, but the recipient does still get the experience being like "the heck?" and then opening the envelope and pulling out a potato. :hardy:

So, inspired by dy's encouragement to find something fun to do to distract one's self from awaiting news from schools, not that I am, but yanno, I attempted to paint something. I never had the patience to learn these skills, but I love trying my hand anyway every couple years. I feel proud of this work as it was done in Acorn on my MacBook Pro simply using my track pad. It is entitled : Brown Dog; Duck Cloud

Brown Dog; Duck Cloud.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
So, inspired by dy's encouragement to find something fun to do to distract one's self from awaiting news from schools, not that I am, but yanno, I attempted to paint something. I never had the patience to learn these skills, but I love trying my hand anyway every couple years. I feel proud of this work as it was done in Acorn on my MacBook Pro simply using my track pad. It is entitled : Brown Dog; Duck Cloud

View attachment 214098
I love the perfect orange circle sun