Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nah I'm not a MILF fan. DILF maybe but that's for a different thread...
funny-gifs-and-think-about-what-you-did.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
At OkState there's a set of dorms that get fire alarms every other day because people forget to add water to their ramen/ mac n cheese, or they accidentally cook popcorn for 30 minutes instead of 3.
They need to screen their students better...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They need to screen their students better...
Freshman, man. Proud that none of those were from me.

Now I'm in the apartments, people just let their dogs poop and urinate in the INSIDE stairwells, and then just don't clean it up. It's incredibly infuriating.

So yeah, sounds like we need better screening.

Any other SDNers considering or planning to attend Wildlife Line @ Illinois in a few weeks? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a resident do it once because she forgot easy mac needs water.

i-may-not-beasmartman-riitiknow-easymacneedswater-true-story-easy-mac-3319737.png
One time I was very drunk and I forgot to put water in the easy mac. It caught fire. It was only the one time...

Also, one time I was sitting in the kitchen eating breakfast. My roommate walks in and I'm pretty sure she was still asleep. She put butter on a bagel, then she put it in the toaster. It also caught fire.

Reactions: 4 users
Any other SDNers considering or planning to attend Wildlife Line @ Illinois in a few weeks? :)
YESSSSSS JOIN US!

I actually won't be participating because it's stuff we already know by being in our wildlife clinic, but I may consider volunteering if there's a need. I hope a lot of you can make it out here! If you don't get wildlife experience (triage, husbandry, handling, veterinary care, etc.), it will be a great opportunity.

At OkState there's a set of dorms that get fire alarms every other day because people forget to add water to their ramen/ mac n cheese, or they accidentally cook popcorn for 30 minutes instead of 3.
This reminds me of a kid I went to high school with. He wanted to warm up a cookie or something, so set the microwave for 30s (actually 30min). He ran to the bathroom and forgot about the cookie and the microwave either blew up or burst into flames or something.

So in true Catholic school fashion, the entire school was banned from using microwaves for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
YESSSSSS JOIN US!

I actually won't be participating because it's stuff we already know by being in our wildlife clinic, but I may consider volunteering if there's a need. I hope a lot of you can make it out here! If you don't get wildlife experience (triage, husbandry, handling, veterinary care, etc.), it will be a great opportunity.

This reminds me of a kid I went to high school with. He wanted to warm up a cookie or something, so set the microwave for 30s (actually 30min). He ran to the bathroom and forgot about the cookie and the microwave either blew up or burst into flames or something.

So in true Catholic school fashion, the entire school was banned from using microwaves for a while.
When I was in grade school I was in line to use the microwave in the cafeteria and this kid looks at me, waggles his eyebrows, and asks "Wanna see something fun?"

Me being seven the answer was obviously yes, and he opened a pack of fruit gushers and tossed them into the microwave like a grenade. Whole thing lit up blue and sparked as the microwave reacted with the foil lining on the gushers packet and I dove under a table for cover.

We didn't have microwaves in the cafeteria after that.

Some spewing of thoughts from the last 24 hours. Read on at your own peril:

So, it's been a crazy few weeks. My first and favorite kitty went into renal failure very unexpectedly and had to be euthanized. I had my vet school interview, and I thought it went pretty well, expect for 2 or 3 questions that I stumbled with. My interview was two weeks ago, and I've been in a constant state of hopefulness since then. I've pictured myself opening an acceptance e-mail and getting to tell all my letter writers and friends and family that I'm going to vet school. I was so excited. Yesterday acceptances from my pool started going out, and as the afternoon went by it became pretty apparent that I wasn't getting one. I realized while I was at work, checking my phone on my break, and I held it together until I left the building. Then I got to my car and just sat and cried.

You know how people say that if you can see yourself doing anything else and being happy, go do that instead? So then you convince yourself that this career is what you want. This, and only this. And then it doesn't happen. What are you even supposed to do with that?

I spent most of last night in some state of tears. I'm not going to be a vet. This was my second try, and I honestly feel like I gave it my all. I did a file review last year and I worked on every point Dr. T brought up. I improved my GRE substantially and have average and above average scores now. I improved my science gpa, and retook the two classes they recommended. I juggled volunteering and work gigs all summer and expanded my veterinary and animal experiences. I've worked in vet med for almost 4 years, I have research experience, I have a ton of extra curriculars and unique volunteer experiences. I was feeling really, really good about my chances this year, especially when I compared myself to my application last year. It's not happening though. For whatever reason I'm still not good enough.

So, today I put on my favorite earrings, ran some errands, and spent some time away from it all. I've had serious reservations about vet school debt for a long time, and guess what? I'm saving myself 100k of debt (before interest). I won't spend the next 20 years paying off school loans. I knew that I didn't want to go into practice (I had my heart set on a path residency), and now I suddenly have so many more options - I can live wherever I want. I won't be nearly as limited in the job market as I would have been if I'd gone into pathology. I can start a career and start making and saving money much sooner. I can think about a family without trying to plan pregnancies during vet school/residency years.

I have great work experiences. I have great references. I have two college degrees. I'm going to be okay. Right now I'm looking for a full time job, and I'll leave the diagnostic lab as soon as I get hired elsewhere. I need to work on building my saving's account and buying a reliable vehicle, and then I'm going to move and go to a master's program or a laboratory job, or wherever/whatever accepts me.

So, I'm feeling okay again. I'm still sad, and I'm still mourning the career that I won't have, but I'm going to be okay, even if I'm never Dr. PBC. I don't need to be a veterinarian or a pathologist to be happy. I'll make a different way and I'll come out just fine in the end.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some spewing of thoughts from the last 24 hours.

This breaks my heart and makes me smile all at the same time. I was so rooting for you this year. I hope you find your own version of happy, PBC, no matter if that is in vet med or elsewhere. Hugs.

So, it's been a crazy few weeks.

This really hurt my heart to read this, but I wanted to say that this is an incredibly mature response to what I'm sure was a huge disappointment. I was so rooting for this to be your time. Like aloha wisely said, I hope you find peace with what ever you choose to do with your life.

We should have an SDN get together!!!

Some spewing of thoughts from the last 24 hours

You do you. It's a hard realization to come to, but freeing at the same time it sounds like. If that's what you need and want, then that's perfect for you!

Reactions: 1 users
Your outlook is stunningly beautiful. Really. I'm so impressed by your ability to look ahead and figure out what you can do to move past this major disappointment, and I'm so happy that you're feeling ok today. Here for you if you ever need to chat, and sending you all the hugs <3

Reactions: 7 users
I'm not sure why, but your post reminds me of this:

"Emergencies have always been necessary to progress. It was darkness which produced the lamp. It was fog that produced the compass. It was hunger that drove us to exploration. And it took a depression to teach us the real value of a job."
-Victor Hugo

Either way, hugs to you PBC. I am always wishing nothing but the absolute best for you.

So, it's been a crazy few weeks. My first and favorite kitty went into renal failure very unexpectedly and had to be euthanized. I had my vet school interview, and I thought it went pretty well, expect for 2 or 3 questions that I stumbled with. My interview was two weeks ago, and I've been in a constant state of hopefulness since then. I've pictured myself opening an acceptance e-mail and getting to tell all my letter writers and friends and family that I'm going to vet school. I was so excited. Yesterday acceptances from my pool started going out, and as the afternoon went by it became pretty apparent that I wasn't getting one. I realized while I was at work, checking my phone on my break, and I held it together until I left the building. Then I got to my car and just sat and cried.

You know how people say that if you can see yourself doing anything else and being happy, go do that instead? So then you convince yourself that this career is what you want. This, and only this. And then it doesn't happen. What are you even supposed to do with that?

I spent most of last night in some state of tears. I'm not going to be a vet. This was my second try, and I honestly feel like I gave it my all. I did a file review last year and I worked on every point Dr. T brought up. I improved my GRE substantially and have average and above average scores now. I improved my science gpa, and retook the two classes they recommended. I juggled volunteering and work gigs all summer and expanded my veterinary and animal experiences. I've worked in vet med for almost 4 years, I have research experience, I have a ton of extra curriculars and unique volunteer experiences. I was feeling really, really good about my chances this year, especially when I compared myself to my application last year. It's not happening though. For whatever reason I'm still not good enough.

So, today I put on my favorite earrings, ran some errands, and spent some time away from it all. I've had serious reservations about vet school debt for a long time, and guess what? I'm saving myself 100k of debt (before interest). I won't spend the next 20 years paying off school loans. I knew that I didn't want to go into practice (I had my heart set on a path residency), and now I suddenly have so many more options - I can live wherever I want. I won't be nearly as limited in the job market as I would have been if I'd gone into pathology. I can start a career and start making and saving money much sooner. I can think about a family without trying to plan pregnancies during vet school/residency years.

I have great work experiences. I have great references. I have two college degrees. I'm going to be okay. Right now I'm looking for a full time job, and I'll leave the diagnostic lab as soon as I get hired elsewhere. I need to work on building my saving's account and buying a reliable vehicle, and then I'm going to move and go to a master's program or a laboratory job, or wherever/whatever accepts me.

So, I'm feeling okay again. I'm still sad, and I'm still mourning the career that I won't have, but I'm going to be okay, even if I'm never Dr. PBC. I don't need to be a veterinarian or a pathologist to be happy. I'll make a different way and I'll come out just fine in the end.
I support you 100% whatever you choose to do. I think you are incredible and capable and no matter what you put your mind to you will do great at.

In no way am I trying to sway you one way or the other, but know it took me the attempts to get in and my file review was only so helpful. So, only if you want, I'm happy to talk. And I mean about anything. Even if it's just to talk about nothing in particular.

Thank you, all. :biglove:I've had so much support from SDN, work, and friends. I appreciate you all so much.

I will do a file review when they're available. Mostly I just want an explanation for my rejection (was it my interview, or my GPA, or what?), but I don't think I'll hear anything that will convince me to go through this a third time.

Thank you, all. :biglove:I've had so much support from SDN, work, and friends. I appreciate you all so much.

I will do a file review when they're available. Mostly I just want an explanation for my rejection (was it my interview, or my GPA, or what?), but I don't think I'll hear anything that will convince me to go through this a third time.
We love you no matter what you end up choosing, PBC:love:
I hope that your path, whatever you choose, makes you happy. :love:

Maybe I missed it, but is it possible you could be wait listed?

Maybe I missed it, but is it possible you could be wait listed?

It's possible, but there's not much precedent for Idaho students to be called off the waitlist. Last year I was told that there's not really a difference between waitlist and rejection status, since students don't reject their seat here in favor of a different school. But that's true, I won't have my letter until next week.

I'm so sorry, PBC. :( But it sounds like you have a great attitude about this. If you do decide to apply again, feel free to PM me, I know firsthand how much being a third-time applicant sucks. Is applying to schools other than WSU not an option? If you'll be moving anyway, you might be able to gain residency somewhere else, or even just gain WA residency and increase your chances. Even if you don't apply for the c/o 2022, that doesn't mean you can never apply again, it's totally up to you. *hugs*

My first and favorite kitty went into renal failure very unexpectedly and had to be euthanized.
@PrincessButterCup, I am sorry to hear that your first and favorite kitty passed away.

Although I realize most of your message discussed veterinary medicine school, I wanted to acknowledge the sheer grief associated with the unexpected loss of your sweet pet, too. Very sorry!

Reactions: 2 users
PBC, count me in as another supporter. Your post struck a nerve with me because I went through a similar sort of introspection a few days ago, though with a different outcome. I know that feeling, and I'm so glad you were able to make peace with your thoughts, push through this setback, and move forward (even if it's in a slightly different direction!) I am also willing to lend an ear, talk about life, the struggle, or whatever, if you need it. You are strong--you got this! :woot:

You're amazing, PBC, and we'll continue to support you in whatever you choose to do! So many hugs to you, friend. Do not forget that you are strong and that you deserve to be happy. :love:

My PM inbox both on SDN and FB are always open if you ever need an open ear.

Also, and I'm not sure that this is much of a consolation, but... from what I've seen and been told, this application cycle's been a particularly difficult one as it seems that a large amount of schools received crazy high numbers of applications, with many being record-breaking (not sure about WSU). I know a lot of very qualified applicants---far more qualified than I was when I applied, to be honest---that have several rejections/waitlist spots under their belts. Definitely don't let it get to you.

Whether or not you choose to try again for it in the future, we will still always support you, PBC. :)

YESSSSSS JOIN US!

We should have an SDN get together!!!
Well, it's not 100% that I'm going. A classmate sent out an email about possibly splitting costs on gas/hotel to go up there, but I haven't heard anything insofar as a confirmation back from her since. Hopefully soon, though, because I think late registration kicks in in a couple of days and I really don't want to pay more than the base $75 fee.

Oh, wow. She actually just got back to me after I wrote this hahaha. So it sounds like our trip to Urbana is officially a go. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sort of a combo rant & rave - for the first time in five years I'm going to be able to spend the actual day of my birthday with my mom because of the way my spring break schedule worked out. Unfortunately, doing this means I'll have to fly out on my actual birthday, and I completely and utterly hate traveling, so it's sort of a bittersweet thing.

I'm really excited though!

PBC, so much love your way!

I feel your feelz, and I am here if you wanna talk about your decision, your future, anything really! You are awesome and deserve to do something that makes you happy!

I went into vet school wanting to do path. I got in on my third try, after really doing everything I could. It probably barely happened. But I did. Not gonna lie, it felt good. I was so set on being a veterinarian it was like finally the doors were opened and I could get on with the rest of my life.

Except it was hard and I kind of hated it, even after all that BS I went through to get in. I stuck it out because, well... I wasn't gonna just quit, right? I didn't get the grades I would have needed to pursue that residency. I really just struggled to stay afloat and make sure I passed everything like I needed to.

And then, six years later, I realize that I would have been fine to let it go and do something else - something with my micro degree - if my whole identity hadn't become so wrapped up in needing to be a veterinarian. I had this one big goal and if I didn't achieve it, everyone would know I was a failure.

Except that's not really how it is.

So, maybe you saved yourself six years?

It's hard to see things that way when you aren't in that position. But yeah. Maybe you would.

Reactions: 16 users
You guys are all so awesome. :biglove:

It's been a couple days, and it's a little disconcerting how quickly I've given up on vet med and how excited I am to pursue other things. It felt like the end of the world at first, but now I wonder whether I actually wanted to go to vet school at all. I like how TT said it:

And then, six years later, I realize that I would have been fine to let it go and do something else - something with my micro degree - if my whole identity hadn't become so wrapped up in needing to be a veterinarian. I had this one big goal and if I didn't achieve it, everyone would know I was a failure.

Once I decided on vet med all other doors closed, because if I changed my mind I would be a failure. People only give up on vet school if they're not good enough, right? I needed to prove that I could do it, that I could get in and get through, and I think I've been ignoring my doubts and hesitations for a long time. I really love pathology, but I know that if I hadn't gotten into a residency I would have been unhappy working as a SA vet.

I've been researching MS degrees and looking at potential careers. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm honestly feeling really good about this. All of your kind words and encouragements have meant so much - thank you, all of you. It's been a crazy weekend.

Reactions: 13 users
Once I decided on vet med all other doors closed, because if I changed my mind I would be a failure. People only give up on vet school if they're not good enough, right? I needed to prove that I could do it, that I could get in and get through, and I think I've been ignoring my doubts and hesitations for a long time. I really love pathology, but I know that if I hadn't gotten into a residency I would have been unhappy working as a SA vet.

I feel like it's true for most all of us. It's this goal that our lives have been all wrapped up in for however long, and it's hard to let it go. It feels like failure.

But I am a SA GP vet, and while it's not terrible, it's not what I ever had in mind. I'm gonna pay off my $80k and then move on to whatever sounds good after that. Imagining how stuck I would feel if a: my employer was miserable, my place of work was miserable, or b: I owed twice that much and was trapped under that debt for that much longer...

We need to acknowledge that walking away doesn't make us failures. It may make us smart.

Sorry for the stone cold honesty, all, but damnit - every pre vet and vettie needs to have full awareness of what they are getting into, and every one of them needs to acknowledge that walking away is always an option. And not an option that deserves any disrespect whatsoever.

Reactions: 9 users
I wanted to be a vet since I was 6 years old. Starting volunteering in animal related things at 12 years old. Started working in a vet clinic at 17. Thought I did well in undergrad...my grades weren't spectacular... 3.5 cumulative GPA... but not horrible. Had well over 10,000 veterinary hours. Just as many animal hours. Took me 3 years to get accepted. I got so wrapped up in just getting accepted I forgot I had to make it through vet school. Hated vet school. Final year was fine, the rest can go die in a fire.

Now I'm > $200K in debt and even if I wanted to leave vet med, vet med is the only thing I can do that will give me a decent enough paycheck.

I'm not saying everyone should run away screaming from vet med. Definitely not. Just remember there is an after being accepted to vet school part of the whole journey.

Reactions: 8 users
Why is there only one Domhnall Gleeson and why hasn't he married me yet? :yeahright:

Kind of obsessed with Shape of You...

Nah, its missing the deep hums. That's the best part :love:
I would sing you my version, but I don't sing well. I like to overlay the bridge with the No Scrubs chorus. It fits really well. And then during the actual chorus, I fit in mmms ooohs and ahhhs as well as when he sings "I'm in love with the shape of you" I sing "I don't want no scrubs" as he finishes the word shape.

It sounds good, I just refuse to let people know the extent of my accent online hahaha

I forget who likes spiders, but these are fabulous. I have some that are frogs and I named them Igg and Ook from Hudson Hawk, which btw, is the bestest movie evar.
Spider-Slippers.jpg
These are adorable! Are those googly eyes or regular lame eyes?

(Also hi, I like spiders and various other creepy crawlies! :hello:)

These are adorable! Are those googly eyes or regular lame eyes?

(Also hi, I like spiders and various other creepy crawlies! :hello:)
Would be so much awesome if they were googly, but fixed felt instead. Fun side note, I used to put googly eyes on props in my old job that would go unnoticed and made it into some shots. lol