Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yesterday I was multiple points from getting the next higher grade in one of my courses. Today, with the addition of an unexpected bonus point and a mistake some one noticed at the final exam review, the odds are ever in my favor....

Now I wait.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Tempted.....

A584C3A1-C290-4863-A8FD-A7E9D16F47D5.jpeg 824ACC2C-94AA-4BEE-9980-77621AFECCED.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm ever in the position of sending out acceptances/rejections to people, I'm going to make a point to make my email subject something less vague than "Program x Update" since I know the adrenal squeeze you get waiting for that email to load:rofl:

One of our deans sends out the official email of whether or not you proceed to the next year of school via an email titled "Final grades." Talk about sympathetic surge as a first year when you didn't know what was in that email.

Reactions: 1 user
In between studying for exams and taking exams, I get to clean and then decorate for my Yule/Saturnalia over the next week. This year I’m going to try a small real tree so I’ve decided to ditch all the glittery cheap fake crap I’ve bought over the last few years and go for a more colorful, crafty, and minimalist look for my decorations. No more ornaments. No glitter. No fake greenery. No more storing all this crap 11 months out of the year.

My main project is making some Pom Pom garlands, one for the little tree and one for the rabbit’s cage. I even bought the little pom making tools today at the craft store... and lots of colorful yarn.

9D7B2D32-ED02-42EE-B0F0-8DB4B9BD90D3.jpeg

http://c.ymcdn.com/.../Garry_VPA_Program_Descriptio.pdf
This was brought up on APVMA on Facebook. Thoughts on this guys? I see what they are trying to do, but I don't think it is the solution by far...perhaps maybe even worse than what is happening currently?
I'm not convinced this will "fix" the problem they are trying to solve. How can it be more efficient for the practice if a vet has to spend probably tons of time supervising a vet PA ? I don't know how they can do basically a "vet tech degree but closer to a vet" in only 3-4 semesters as well?

It seems a little iffy to me, though I suppose stranger things have happened.

I'm not convinced this will "fix" the problem they are trying to solve. How can it be more efficient for the practice if a vet has to spend probably tons of time supervising a vet PA ? I don't know how they can do basically a "vet tech degree but closer to a vet" in only 3-4 semesters as well?

It seems a little iffy to me, though I suppose stranger things have happened.
I particularly liked the question about what they could do, and the answer being "essentially what a vet tech does." Okay... so why have it then??

I particularly liked the question about what they could do, and the answer being "essentially what a vet tech does." Okay... so why have it then??
I'm confused tho about whether it's an extra 4 semesters beyond vet tech school or not (I got semi distracted and didn't read every word TBH)
Bc if you expect them to have a knowledge between the level of a vet and a tech, how u gon do that in the same amount of time as regular tech school?

But yeah also kinda :eyebrow: about the "well it's basically the same thing as a vet tech unless states change their laws on what non-vets can do" which good luck with that

Thought I was giving a 15 minute presentation about my research project on Friday. Oh but SURPRISE, I had the date wrong and it's TOMORROW. Thank goodness I was off clinics this week and finished the presentation and accompanying proposal on Tuesday. Guess I just won't be practicing and will have to wing it a little more than I'd anticipated.

Reactions: 1 users
VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION
If you see the name "Refr" or "Refur" how would you pronounce it? I love the name but I'm worried it's going to be phonetically butchered even worse than usual at every dog show we go to....

Members don't see this ad :)
VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION
If you see the name "Refr" or "Refur" how would you pronounce it? I love the name but I'm worried it's going to be phonetically butchered even worse than usual at every dog show we go to....

I was going to say "refer"... guess I am not a big druggie. :laugh:

Ugh that's what I thought. Guess the name hunt must continue lol

It's actually closer to "rever" than anything else, and means Fox which is adorbs. But yeah, I can just see people going down a list at a big show and shouting out reefer instead.
Spell it "Revr" instead?

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

It's actually closer to "rever" than anything else, and means Fox which is adorbs. But yeah, I can just see people going down a list at a big show and shouting out reefer instead.

Is it an Icie though? Because if that's the case I feel like giving your dog a name that normal people will butcher is just standard procedure.

But you didn't
Unless babycakes' name isn't actually her real name.......

Yeah, I really dropped the ball there... but she was my first one. I didn't know I was supposed to make it as unpronounceable and Icelandic as possible

(or alternately make it pronounceable but still very Icelandic and have 20 other dogs share the same name).

Yeah, I really dropped the ball there... but she was my first one. I didn't know I was supposed to make it as unpronounceable and Icelandic as possible

(or alternately make it pronounceable but still very Icelandic and have 20 other dogs share the same name).
You'll know for next time.

Just gotta teach me how to say my future goddog's name hahahahaha

Is it an Icie though? Because if that's the case I feel like giving your dog a name that normal people will butcher is just standard procedure.
Yup, another Icie. And most of the names on my list are very butcherable, but I'm not sure I want people at trials yelling "REEFER" across the ring because they can't pronounce Refr haha.

And this dog will make me 1 out of 3 on Icelandic names, unless I decide to stick with my English/winter theme :-D

I have a cat named Kitsune, which is Japanese for fox and has strong ties with their folklore. My friend ironically named his shiba Kitsune too. I think it's a cute name (obviously).

At least they aren't pushing vegetarian cats.
... yet!

I'm a nutrition nerd, and there's been outrage about this for... has to be close to a month now. I know of at least one vet nutritionist who has attended council meetings to offer actual facts. Unfortunately it doesn't seem (from where I'm sitting) to be doing any good. Makes me both sad and scared, for the dogs and for humanity at the rate this nonsense is going!

ETA: when I say nonsense I'm not talking about people being vegan, I'm specifically talking about forcing a vegan lifestyle onto animals that are NOT.

I need to find a bridesmaid dress in less than a week. It must be burgundy, floor length, and preferably with lace. What are the most reliable/quickest online stores? I'm wary of Amazon because so few of the dresses I've found have shipping times of less than 2 days, and a lot seem to be from overseas. I have one possibility (that's probably more red than burgundy . . . But the bride could have given me more time . . . ;)). Help!
Hey PBC, did you ever end up finding a dress that worked? (@LadyOtheFarm just liked my reply to this and reminded me of it hahahahaha)

On the name front, options include (in no particular order)

Dvalin (Dwarf) - part of his registered name (duh-vahhhl-leen)
Hrein (reindeer) - fits my winter theme (rhine)
Túndra(tundra) - fits my winter theme (toon-drah)
Refr (fox) because fox is cute (rev-ver)
Skoffin (an Icelandic monster, a cross between a fox and a cat). Because, monster and the legend amuses me. (No idea how to pronounce it)
Alopex (genus of arctic foxes)
jól (Christmas) again, with the theme (yohl)
Melrakki (icelandic for arctic fox) but so many syllables.

HALP, this is too hard. Name ideally goes well with Ivy and Noelle

24796644_10103024931330271_8499411335969335942_n.jpg
IMG_1387.jpg

I like túndra too (and will be mispronounced like an Icie name should apparently be, but also easy for you to be like "odatme" vs some of the others)

HE IS SO FREAKING ADORABLE THO PLS GIMME

I like Hrein. It's very "yellable" (as in, easy to get their attention if they're running into trouble, doesn't sound like any other command, but also not embarassing if he got lost and you have to walk around the neighborhood yelling for him). Tundra would be my #2.

I guess I'm the odd one that likes Melrakki. :p You could call him Mel for short!

Hey PBC, did you ever end up finding a dress that worked? (@LadyOtheFarm just liked my reply to this and reminded me of it hahahahaha)
Yes! I settled on one that didn't have lace but was a match for the color and style, and it was the ONLY one I could find with one day shipping. I don't think it stood out at all since we all had slightly different dresses.

The wedding was a blast, too. :)

I feel like animals need at least two syllables to their name. Try sounding angry at a one syllable name, then try two. It just works better.

Toondra is cute.

Odd one out, I really like Dvalin. And what a sweetie!

Túndra was my current top-runner before I posted this, glad to see some others agree. I definitely prefer 2 syllable names that are yellable because my dogs tend to be naughty haha. That was the main reason for not going for Melrakki (since I'm also not a huge fan of doggie nicknames/abbreviations).
I -do- like Dvalin and it fits him since he's such a munchkin, but I dunno. It just doesn't feel right, and maybe that's just because it wasn't my idea :-D I would have to shorten it to Valin (see paragraph above haha)

I've got a few weeks to narrow it down more so we will see if I change my mind again. :)

Saw star wars, was great!

mr9V7.gif