Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 users

I don't have any advice, but I totally feel you! I'm not close with mine, especially my mom. I don't miss her when I'm away, don't have anything to say to her when I'm near, don't really think of her when I'm away either. My parents didn't do anything catastrophically wrong raising me, there was no fall out. I feel sort of guilty about it since I know my mom would probably like us to be the Gilmore Girls...but that's just not the kind of relationship I ever see us having. So if it's any consolation, you're definitely not alone in your feelings!

Members don't see this ad :)
The bf is giving me updates on his first girl scout cookie experience and it's kind of adorable because we're almost 30 and he's somehow never had them. I just told him to try them frozen and he didn't realize and was shocked that that was a thing.

Also, if anyone has ideas for a place to go to in VT for hiking and beer, let me know! We're thinking of planning a weekend there in May.

Reactions: 4 users
Alright sooo anyone wanna give me advice on where to apply with a low cum GPA and *average* science and last 45? Everyone says "apply smart" "apply at places that look for this and that" but I can't seem to decode all the information on these schools' websites. No one really says "we don't care about your cum GPA!", point blank. haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Alright sooo anyone wanna give me advice on where to apply with a low cum GPA and *average* science and last 45? Everyone says "apply smart" "apply at places that look for this and that" but I can't seem to decode all the information on these schools' websites. No one really says "we don't care about your cum GPA!", point blank. haha

Michigan State does not care about your cumulative GPA. you only have to have a 3.0 in science and last 36 to be looked at. after you make it to phase 2 they do not care about your gpa anymore and admissions will tell you this straight up. Illinois also does not factor gpa into their admissions decisions but they don't have a hard and fast cut off afaik for making it into phase 2. Look at school websites and you can find a lot of this information and if not, you can email admissions for how they evaluate applicants.

Michigan State does not care about your cumulative GPA. you only have to have a 3.0 in science and last 36 to be looked at. after you make it to phase 2 they do not care about your gpa anymore and admissions will tell you this straight up. Illinois also does not factor gpa into their admissions decisions but they don't have a hard and fast cut off afaik for making it into phase 2. Look at school websites and you can find a lot of this information and if not, you can email admissions for how they evaluate applicants.

Ok! Thanks! I haven't contacted any schools directly about specific admissions processes, so I guess that will be my next step! I had always been afraid that I was going to annoy admissions people with my questions lol

I told myself that I’d study over spring break but I haven’t opened a single file on my iPad yet. Oh well, I still have some cleaning and crafting I’d like to finish. Also, my mom is coming to visit for a couple days and will probably buy me tasty foods and movie tickets. Studying can wait for now.

I told myself that I’d study over spring break but I haven’t opened a single file on my iPad yet. Oh well, I still have some cleaning and crafting I’d like to finish. Also, my mom is coming to visit for a couple days and will probably buy me tasty foods and movie tickets. Studying can wait for now.
Same :p

I skipped Thursday and Friday before break and have 7 hours of lecture to watch. Have not watched a thing. Was also going to study parasitology some and make a better review ppt for Lab final. I’ve worked on my online class but that’s it haha

I guess this isn’t really a rant or a rave, so I’ll put it here...

I take phase 1 of my boards this morning. I’m equal parts scared, feeling like I’m as prepared as I can be, and excited for this to be over for a few days so I can take a night off from studying without feeling guilty!

Reactions: 10 users

I take phase 1 of my boards this morning. I’m equal parts scared, feeling like I’m as prepared as I can be, and excited for this to be over for a few days so I can take a night off from studying without feeling guilty!
YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Yay Jayna!! You’re going to do great!!! I believe in you! :biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)

:luck:

Thanks guys! It wasn’t fun at all and I am not sure how I did. I’ll know if I passed in 4-6 weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
So I've decided to register with a company (built by MDs, PHd's etc so it's not just something random off the internet and my coach is a DO) that helps with nutrition/timing of meals as I'd like to get back to healthier eating habits (I'm good majority of the time but when when I fall off the wagon it's bad for a while) and get a bit leaner. They have templates you can purchase based on certain parameters that will help you for 3 months. Since I will work a day shift to swing to overnight in a single week, I elected to go with the 1:1 coaching. He literally made templates for every single shift I could work and then for each shift he made templates for if it was a rest day or a work out day (and even made different templates depending on the time I'd work out). I'm super overwhelmed by it and need to adjust my meals and prep now, but I'm kind of excited for this and can't wait to see what kind of results I get.

Reactions: 2 users
So I've decided to register with a company (built by MDs, PHd's etc so it's not just something random off the internet and my coach is a DO) that helps with nutrition/timing of meals as I'd like to get back to healthier eating habits (I'm good majority of the time but when when I fall off the wagon it's bad for a while) and get a bit leaner. They have templates you can purchase based on certain parameters that will help you for 3 months. Since I will work a day shift to swing to overnight in a single week, I elected to go with the 1:1 coaching. He literally made templates for every single shift I could work and then for each shift he made templates for if it was a rest day or a work out day (and even made different templates depending on the time I'd work out). I'm super overwhelmed by it and need to adjust my meals and prep now, but I'm kind of excited for this and can't wait to see what kind of results I get.
That’s so cool!! What company is that? I might be interested in it for this summer since I’ll have more free time this summer since I’m just working!

That’s so cool!! What company is that? I might be interested in it for this summer since I’ll have more free time this summer since I’m just working!

They're called Renaissance Periodization. I think it's mainly big amongst Olympic/Powerlifters, Crossfitters etc (at least these are the people I know who have done it) but they have templates for just nutrition, lifting/exercise or both. And then they have 1:1 coaching for both. I went the coaching route due to my schedule but a lot of people I think have success with just the templates and I need to be accountable to someone who I won't do it (I'm also hoping that the amount I paid for this will keep me focused). It's kind of pricey (especially the 1:1 coaching) but those I've know who have done it have had amazing results. They don't come up with specific meals for you, but they'll tell you how many grams of protein, fats and carbs to eat at each meal throughout the day. It's sort of like IIFYM but to my understanding, it seems more tailored to my routine.

They're called Renaissance Periodization. I think it's mainly big amongst Olympic/Powerlifters, Crossfitters etc (at least these are the people I know who have done it) but they have templates for just nutrition, lifting/exercise or both. And then they have 1:1 coaching for both. I went the coaching route due to my schedule but a lot of people I think have success with just the templates and I need to be accountable to someone who I won't do it (I'm also hoping that the amount I paid for this will keep me focused). It's kind of pricey (especially the 1:1 coaching) but those I've know who have done it have had amazing results. They don't come up with specific meals for you, but they'll tell you how many grams of protein, fats and carbs to eat at each meal throughout the day. It's sort of like IIFYM but to my understanding, it seems more tailored to my routine.
I’ll look into it!!! Thanks!

I’ll look into it!!! Thanks!

No problem. Message me in a month/I'll try to remember to post an update on how it's going. Today was day one and I think I stuck well to the macros I was supposed to hit. Might have gone over accidentally from forgetting a few rules (like if it's not on the list of approved foods, technically you have to count all macros for the item). I have my meals prepped for tomorrow except for my evening casein but I can put that together in the morning. I was sort of shocked at the amount of food I had to eat considering I'm in a caloric deficit and it was a non-training day so less carbs. =(

No problem. Message me in a month/I'll try to remember to post an update on how it's going. Today was day one and I think I stuck well to the macros I was supposed to hit. Might have gone over accidentally from forgetting a few rules (like if it's not on the list of approved foods, technically you have to count all macros for the item). I have my meals prepped for tomorrow except for my evening casein but I can put that together in the morning. I was sort of shocked at the amount of food I had to eat considering I'm in a caloric deficit and it was a non-training day so less carbs. =(
How is it if I’m picky af

How is it if I’m picky af

Probably somewhat difficult but maybe not at the same time since you may not have as many options to hit your macros. I'm not super picky and am somewhat overwhelmed because I want to make all these meals, but I think it's going to be easier just to make bulk chicken, turkey, etc and veggies and carbs separately and then combine them. Ultimately probably depends on what type of picky you're talking about -- not willing to try new weird foods, or I don't eat any veggies, etc

I’m currently packing for my spring break trip to Washington DC & NYC, and if you think I’m not currently singing “I’m Just a Bill” you’re dead wrong. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
A MMattress inspired comic for @kaydubs @MixedAnimals77 @capri1722 @bryndiana.jones

b411fdf0ed8b01351574005056a9545d

I talked to my audiologist about getting a cochlear implant today and I'm really hoping it works out. I need an MRI first and then insurance stuff later (it would be off label, but it is possible to get it approved). I never knew this was even an option for me and the idea is so exciting. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I'm definitely crossing my fingers.

Reactions: 9 users
I talked to my audiologist about getting a cochlear implant today and I'm really hoping it works out. I need an MRI first and then insurance stuff later (it would be off label, but it is possible to get it approved). I never knew this was even an option for me and the idea is so exciting. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much, but I'm definitely crossing my fingers.
I hope it works out for you pbc!!! :love:

Have any current DVM students found use for any of their undergrad textbooks as reference? I'm wondering specifically about my biochem and A&P textbooks? Are they helpful for reviewing basic pathways?

Have any current DVM students found use for any of their undergrad textbooks as reference? I'm wondering specifically about my biochem and A&P textbooks? Are they helpful for reviewing basic pathways?
I used mine!
(As paperweights and fire starters.)
Moving them across the country with me was a total waste.

Reactions: 5 users
Haha, this was exactly what I was wondering - whether I should truck them across the country or not :)

I used my reproduction textbook and notes from undergrad for therio in vet school. But I knew when I purchased it in undergrad that the course was intense and it was the same book used in the vet school. I kept my ruminant nutrition coursework/notes and the companion animal nutrition book. But I believe I used everything else in a celebratory bonfire with my friends.

I got a lot of use out of an undergrad anatomy textbook... because it was Dyce. It's still the only textbook I think I've ever purchased in my college career lol

All my undergrad textbooks are in a pile in a closet at my parents' house and have not been touched for the entirety of my time in vet school :p

I'm going to get ankle surgery soon, hopefully! I'll find out when probably on Monday. I'm going with my second opinion surgeon and he's letting me move the timeline up a bit because of my complete failure to heal without intervention and I'm super excited. He says that if I like how it turns out I can get my other ankle stabilized, too! Very weird to imagine having stable ankles.

He also says that I might be able to stay awake for it if I can convince anesthesia, so now I'm watching videos to prepare because ortho surgery is horrifying. Blech. Have to desensitize myself enough for it to be cool or at least not nauseating by the time it's my turn, haha. Nah, it'll be cool if I can make it happen, just have to get over the idea of drilling holes into bones and shaving bone down (if necessary) and all that jazz.

I'm going to get ankle surgery soon, hopefully! I'll find out when probably on Monday. I'm going with my second opinion surgeon and he's letting me move the timeline up a bit because of my complete failure to heal without intervention and I'm super excited. He says that if I like how it turns out I can get my other ankle stabilized, too! Very weird to imagine having stable ankles.

He also says that I might be able to stay awake for it if I can convince anesthesia, so now I'm watching videos to prepare because ortho surgery is horrifying. Blech. Have to desensitize myself enough for it to be cool or at least not nauseating by the time it's my turn, haha. Nah, it'll be cool if I can make it happen, just have to get over the idea of drilling holes into bones and shaving bone down (if necessary) and all that jazz.
Yay!!! Excited you’re hopefully able to get your surgery soon!!!

Also 1000000000% could personally definitely not be awake for that nope nope nope

I was just trying to remember who on here had a bum ankle too... After my podiatry appointment today my ankle's prognosis seems to be turning from "physical therapy should take care of that" to "you're probably gonna need surgery." Curious to hear how your surgery goes!

Having seen ortho surgeries (on dogs) I'd nope the eff right out of wanting to watch that on myself.

Reactions: 3 users

I've never been able to decide which is worse to watch, ortho or plastics :hurting:

My uncle was awake for a few surgeries on his knee and I don't understand how he was able to not pass out during it. He thought it was awesome though.

A. I would not be watching, nope nope nope.
B. Would not be able to handle the smell. nope nope
C. Knock me out. Please.
But congrats on a better possible outcome. Having stupid ankles just sucks. At least for me, if my feet hurt, it is like my whole body hurts, I just don't function well.

I was just trying to remember who on here had a bum ankle too... After my podiatry appointment today my ankle's prognosis seems to be turning from "physical therapy should take care of that" to "you're probably gonna need surgery." Curious to hear how your surgery goes!

Have you been doing PT? They've got me going weekly just to fight the atrophy, but if you're doing PT, I highly recommend asking your PTs for any opinions on surgeons to see for a second opinion. I definitely switched over to a different surgeon after following their recs. I'm also swapping over to surgery ahead of the normal timeframe because it's really not healing at all and I begged.

It's going to be a 3-4 month recovery, but I am hopeful of a good outcome, especially with the arthrex internalbrace stuff I'm having installed, since my connective tissue is intrinsically defective and needs the help. Mostly I am so looking forward to actually getting to rehab this ankle. I'm also super tickled that my surgeon threw me, with my ~15 mile/wk trail-running habit when uninjured, in with his triathlete patients with regard to post-surgery mobility device needs. I couldn't even quite bring myself to check the box to say I was an athlete, so far removed am I from any organized athletics.

Have you been doing PT? They've got me going weekly just to fight the atrophy, but if you're doing PT, I highly recommend asking your PTs for any opinions on surgeons to see for a second opinion. I definitely switched over to a different surgeon after following their recs. I'm also swapping over to surgery ahead of the normal timeframe because it's really not healing at all and I begged.

It's going to be a 3-4 month recovery, but I am hopeful of a good outcome, especially with the arthrex internalbrace stuff I'm having installed, since my connective tissue is intrinsically defective and needs the help. Mostly I am so looking forward to actually getting to rehab this ankle. I'm also super tickled that my surgeon threw me, with my ~15 mile/wk trail-running habit when uninjured, in with his triathlete patients with regard to post-surgery mobility device needs. I couldn't even quite bring myself to check the box to say I was an athlete, so far removed am I from any organized athletics.

I've been going 3x per week for the last month. I'm cutting it back to 1-2 times per week for at least another month, maybe two. (I'm starting to tap out financially on the copay for each visit...)

This is an old, chronic injury - the initial injury was about 8 years ago. I was in the military at the time and it was never properly treated; it was then repeatedly aggravated by my line of work. It's been an annoyance every since, but has really gone downhill in the last 3 months. I've got other factors in play too - bilateral plantar fasciitis, heel spur on the same leg as the ankle sprain, and a bunion on the other foot. The combo of the plantar fasciitis with the ankle sprain has been particularly bad - it got to the point that I couldn't walk to class in February.

My plantar fascia are feeling better (for now at least... I had cortisone shots in both feet). The ankle has gotten worse though. I have another follow up in May to see what my progress is. Next step would be an MRI to see exactly what's up...

I've been going 3x per week for the last month. I'm cutting it back to 1-2 times per week for at least another month, maybe two. (I'm starting to tap out financially on the copay for each visit...)

This is an old, chronic injury - the initial injury was about 8 years ago. I was in the military at the time and it was never properly treated; it was then repeatedly aggravated by my line of work. It's been an annoyance every since, but has really gone downhill in the last 3 months. I've got other factors in play too - bilateral plantar fasciitis, heel spur on the same leg as the ankle sprain, and a bunion on the other foot. The combo of the plantar fasciitis with the ankle sprain has been particularly bad - it got to the point that I couldn't walk to class in February.

My plantar fascia are feeling better (for now at least... I had cortisone shots in both feet). The ankle has gotten worse though. I have another follow up in May to see what my progress is. Next step would be an MRI to see exactly what's up...
If it DOES need surgery (I saw you say it was approaching that), is it possible to do it this summer before school starts so you can heal fully and be rehabbing it by the time school starts???

If it DOES need surgery (I saw you say it was approaching that), is it possible to do it this summer before school starts so you can heal fully and be rehabbing it by the time school starts???

It's... complicated.

On the one hand... If we pay for it through our current insurance I'd have to get it done by June. We already hit our deductible cap for out-of-pocket expenses this year ($3000 in medical expenses since January... woohoo), so it would be a good time to do it from the $$ perspective. But not great because it would be rushing into something that is not 100% clear I need.

On the other... My insurance will change in June/July (hubby in the process of getting a new job and will start over summer). So, would probably have to wait to get anything done because I would probably have to change doctors either for the surgery or for the rehab. We'd also have to start over with the deductible - so probably would cost several thousand extra dollars. I would also have to wait for the new coverage to start - normally at least 30 days after starting a new job (maybe?), so August would be the earliest surgery date. Not exactly ideal timing... I'd rather wait until winter break or just suck it up until the following summer if that's what's happening.

And, the biggest consideration: This is a military related injury. The VA really should be taking care of all of this but they denied my initial claim that I had a service related injury. I am appealing now, but don't know how long that process will take. If they decide it is their fault (which it 100% is - I literally got injured during required physical training), the pro is that they will cover the cost of the surgery and rehab 100%. The con is that I get much less say (or maybe none) in my doctors and the timing of the surgery.

I also got really terrible medical care during my time in service, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Going to a civilian doctor for the first time for this was magical... She did more for me in one appointment than I got over the course of five years of military service. The people I know who get care through the VA also have not had great experiences, which also makes me very nervous.

Blergh to everything.

So for my nutrition schedule, I'm supposed to have 20-30 grams of casein every night. Well I ran out of my normal brand of casein and bought a new brand online per recommendations. I typically make protein pudding with my casein (mix it with almond mix until the's consistency I want and then put in the fridge for a while). Holy crap. This new brand has a consistency and taste SOOO much closer to real pudding. And it's cheaper!! While I like the other brand, I think I'm sold on this new one. May need to check out some other flavors of their casein or normal whey.

It's... complicated.

On the one hand... If we pay for it through our current insurance I'd have to get it done by June. We already hit our deductible cap for out-of-pocket expenses this year ($3000 in medical expenses since January... woohoo), so it would be a good time to do it from the $$ perspective. But not great because it would be rushing into something that is not 100% clear I need.

On the other... My insurance will change in June/July (hubby in the process of getting a new job and will start over summer). So, would probably have to wait to get anything done because I would probably have to change doctors either for the surgery or for the rehab. We'd also have to start over with the deductible - so probably would cost several thousand extra dollars. I would also have to wait for the new coverage to start - normally at least 30 days after starting a new job (maybe?), so August would be the earliest surgery date. Not exactly ideal timing... I'd rather wait until winter break or just suck it up until the following summer if that's what's happening.

And, the biggest consideration: This is a military related injury. The VA really should be taking care of all of this but they denied my initial claim that I had a service related injury. I am appealing now, but don't know how long that process will take. If they decide it is their fault (which it 100% is - I literally got injured during required physical training), the pro is that they will cover the cost of the surgery and rehab 100%. The con is that I get much less say (or maybe none) in my doctors and the timing of the surgery.

I also got really terrible medical care during my time in service, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Going to a civilian doctor for the first time for this was magical... She did more for me in one appointment than I got over the course of five years of military service. The people I know who get care through the VA also have not had great experiences, which also makes me very nervous.

Blergh to everything.
Well that all does certainly put a wrench in it....