Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So for my nutrition schedule, I'm supposed to have 20-30 grams of casein every night. Well I ran out of my normal brand of casein and bought a new brand online per recommendations. I typically make protein pudding with my casein (mix it with almond mix until the's consistency I want and then put in the fridge for a while). Holy crap. This new brand has a consistency and taste SOOO much closer to real pudding. And it's cheaper!! While I like the other brand, I think I'm sold on this new one. May need to check out some other flavors of their casein or normal whey.
Oooo what brand is it? Protein pudding sounds like something I could get behind.....

Members don't see this ad.

Oooo what brand is it? Protein pudding sounds like something I could get behind.....

Dymatize Micellar Casein -- Rich Chocolate. I'm sooo happy with it so far. It's definitely satisfying the sweet tooth craving I've had earlier. Apparently you can make waffles out of it too, but I haven't explored that option yet. I'll use normal whey in my pancake mix though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A small comic for @CoffeeQuestionMark

22045854_1486321184776885_4610626327613016940_n.jpg

Sadly there are some side effects :oops: :shy:

010918_GoTime-1024x1024.jpg
The second one, that is a good side effect

Members don't see this ad :)
Dymatize Micellar Casein -- Rich Chocolate. I'm sooo happy with it so far. It's definitely satisfying the sweet tooth craving I've had earlier. Apparently you can make waffles out of it too, but I haven't explored that option yet. I'll use normal whey in my protein mix though.
Omg
Waffles

Dymatize Micellar Casein -- Rich Chocolate. I'm sooo happy with it so far. It's definitely satisfying the sweet tooth craving I've had earlier. Apparently you can make waffles out of it too, but I haven't explored that option yet. I'll use normal whey in my protein mix though.
Oh man the casein comes in cookies and cream too and the whey in SOMANYFLAVORS

Oh man the casein comes in cookies and cream too and the whey in SOMANYFLAVORS

Haha. My parents already judge me for the amount of protein I have. I have Dutch chocolate, cookies and cream, vanilla and churro. All of these are also from different companies. And then I have my casein and workout carbs as well as a pre-workout mix. Thank god I'll have more space in my new kitchen. I need a shelf for just my protein...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been going 3x per week for the last month. I'm cutting it back to 1-2 times per week for at least another month, maybe two. (I'm starting to tap out financially on the copay for each visit...)

This is an old, chronic injury - the initial injury was about 8 years ago. I was in the military at the time and it was never properly treated; it was then repeatedly aggravated by my line of work. It's been an annoyance every since, but has really gone downhill in the last 3 months. I've got other factors in play too - bilateral plantar fasciitis, heel spur on the same leg as the ankle sprain, and a bunion on the other foot. The combo of the plantar fasciitis with the ankle sprain has been particularly bad - it got to the point that I couldn't walk to class in February.

My plantar fascia are feeling better (for now at least... I had cortisone shots in both feet). The ankle has gotten worse though. I have another follow up in May to see what my progress is. Next step would be an MRI to see exactly what's up...
Oof, that's a lot. I think something about it being acute-on-chronic makes mine easier as far as decision-making goes, because it can be rough trying to make those choices. As it is I'm now just working on the assumption that I'll hit my out-of-pocket max and just trying to ration my 30 covered PT visits, but oy.

Have you heard anything about the VA in your particular area? Because you're right, the government should be footing the bill, but at the same time better to pay to get it privately than to come out of it with a shakier result. Foot issues suck.

It's... complicated.

On the one hand... If we pay for it through our current insurance I'd have to get it done by June. We already hit our deductible cap for out-of-pocket expenses this year ($3000 in medical expenses since January... woohoo), so it would be a good time to do it from the $$ perspective. But not great because it would be rushing into something that is not 100% clear I need.

On the other... My insurance will change in June/July (hubby in the process of getting a new job and will start over summer). So, would probably have to wait to get anything done because I would probably have to change doctors either for the surgery or for the rehab. We'd also have to start over with the deductible - so probably would cost several thousand extra dollars. I would also have to wait for the new coverage to start - normally at least 30 days after starting a new job (maybe?), so August would be the earliest surgery date. Not exactly ideal timing... I'd rather wait until winter break or just suck it up until the following summer if that's what's happening.

And, the biggest consideration: This is a military related injury. The VA really should be taking care of all of this but they denied my initial claim that I had a service related injury. I am appealing now, but don't know how long that process will take. If they decide it is their fault (which it 100% is - I literally got injured during required physical training), the pro is that they will cover the cost of the surgery and rehab 100%. The con is that I get much less say (or maybe none) in my doctors and the timing of the surgery.

I also got really terrible medical care during my time in service, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Going to a civilian doctor for the first time for this was magical... She did more for me in one appointment than I got over the course of five years of military service. The people I know who get care through the VA also have not had great experiences, which also makes me very nervous.

Blergh to everything.

Who do you have as a VSO for working your claim? I recently had my rating redone with the help of the DAV, and it went alot better than my initial claim after getting out the the military. There's also a few bigger veteran FB groups for stuff about comp&pen thats been a pretty good resource for finding out how to get the most out of C&P exams, getting nexus letters from civilian doctors to tie an injury/disability to military service, and things like buddy statements.

I'm going to get ankle surgery soon, hopefully! I'll find out when probably on Monday. I'm going with my second opinion surgeon and he's letting me move the timeline up a bit because of my complete failure to heal without intervention and I'm super excited. He says that if I like how it turns out I can get my other ankle stabilized, too! Very weird to imagine having stable ankles.

He also says that I might be able to stay awake for it if I can convince anesthesia, so now I'm watching videos to prepare because ortho surgery is horrifying. Blech. Have to desensitize myself enough for it to be cool or at least not nauseating by the time it's my turn, haha. Nah, it'll be cool if I can make it happen, just have to get over the idea of drilling holes into bones and shaving bone down (if necessary) and all that jazz.

Being awake - you don't actually see anything, you just hear it. And most of the sounds aren't that bad.

Also, I was very happy I had mine reconstructed, but my best advice is wait longer than 6 months in between if you decide to do both

Being awake - you don't actually see anything, you just hear it. And most of the sounds aren't that bad.

Also, I was very happy I had mine reconstructed, but my best advice is wait longer than 6 months in between if you decide to do both
I think there's a good chance I'd be within sight of a screen, so I could at least see the arthroscopy stuff and might be able to get him to leave a camera running for me. Even if I'm under, I might be able to get him to record.

If I do the other one, it'd probably be late December or next summer. It would be hard to schedule around school stuff. But first, to see how this one turns out.

I think there's a good chance I'd be within sight of a screen, so I could at least see the arthroscopy stuff and might be able to get him to leave a camera running for me. Even if I'm under, I might be able to get him to record.

If I do the other one, it'd probably be late December or next summer. It would be hard to schedule around school stuff. But first, to see how this one turns out.
screens aren't bad. I have done that for a couple wrist scopes.

Is poorer a word? My mentor keeps replacing "worse" with "poorer" in my paper and I don't think that's a thing? I'm so tired. Bah random overnights :sleep:

Is poorer a word? My mentor keeps replacing "worse" with "poorer" in my paper and I don't think that's a thing? I'm so tired. Bah random overnights :sleep:

It's definitely a word. Depends on the context for deciding which one you would use.

Think of it this way: "worse" is a comparative for bad (bad>worse>worst) and "poorer" is a comparative for poor (poor>poorer>poorest). If you are using "poor" in other parts of the paper and not "bad," then you should be using poorer as the comparative. To see which is better without thinking too much about it you can also rewrite your sentence to not have a comparative - would you being using "poor" or "bad" in the rewrite?

Do we use bad and poor interchangeably in common speech? Yep, all the time. Their meaning has converged a lot in the modern era. I think "worse" especially gets used almost exclusively in common speech vs. "poorer" (when not talking about $$ obviously).

But bad vs. poor do have some different specific usages - generally "bad" is for value and moral judgments (eg bad weather or a bad person) and poor is for non-value qualities (eg something that is poorly made or poorly done).

Hey y'all, so the shelter medicine club at my school is in a contest to win $1000, and we are sooo close to first place but we could really use your help! I believe the plan is to donate half the money to local shelters, and then the rest will be used for shelter surgery opportunities for our members. All you have to do is click the link and like our photo, and if you could share it as well that would be awesome! I remember we helped LIS's co-worker win a contest a while back, so gogogo! The contest ends tomorrow night at midnight.

Hey y'all, so the shelter medicine club at my school is in a contest to win $1000, and we are sooo close to first place but we could really use your help! I believe the plan is to donate half the money to local shelters, and then the rest will be used for shelter surgery opportunities for our members. All you have to do is click the link and like our photo, and if you could share it as well that would be awesome! I remember we helped LIS's co-worker win a contest a while back, so gogogo! The contest ends tomorrow night at midnight.
Not sure if I'm the only one, but I couldn't get the link to work...

Application submission timeline question-

I have a full load of classes scheduled for this summer so that I can make further improvements to my GPA. Also would allow me to have more science pre-reqs completed which I know some schools care about. BUT, recently, I've been hearing that it's really important to submit your application early.. so my question is it more worth it to submit my app kinda late (would submit to VMCAS for approval the first week of August) but have a pretty significant GPA increase, or better to submit early and keep my crappy GPA?

If I've calculated it correctly, it would boost my overall GPA by about 0.15 points and science GPA about 0.2 points if I continue to do well.

Thanks as always y'all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a full load of classes scheduled for this summer so that I can make further improvements to my GPA. Also would allow me to have more science pre-reqs completed which I know some schools care about. BUT, recently, I've been hearing that it's really important to submit your application early.. so my question is it more worth it to submit my app kinda late (would submit to VMCAS for approval the first week of August) but have a pretty significant GPA increase, or better to submit early and keep my crappy GPA?

If I've calculated it correctly, it would boost my overall GPA by about 0.15 points and science GPA about 0.2 points if I continue to do well.

Thanks as always y'all.

August is plenty early to submit! I'm not sure who told you it's important to submit early, but there's no real benefit to submitting early (like May/June) since only a few schools do rolling admissions (and even for those schools, it just means you might interview/get a decision earlier, but doesn't really increase your chances of admission). VMCAS recommends submitting at least a month before the deadline in case there's issues with your transcript verification that you have to fix, but I submitted the week of the deadline all 3 times I applied and never had any issues with that. As long as you're not submitting minutes/hours before the deadline when there might be issues with your credit card processing or whatever, you're probably good. Lots of people wait to submit until their summer classes are completed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
August is plenty early to submit! I'm not sure who told you it's important to submit early, but there's no real benefit to submitting early (like May/June) since only a few schools do rolling admissions (and even for those schools, it just means you might interview/get a decision earlier, but doesn't really increase your chances of admission). VMCAS recommends submitting at least a month before the deadline in case there's issues with your transcript verification that you have to fix, but I submitted the week of the deadline all 3 times I applied and never had any issues with that. As long as you're not submitting minutes/hours before the deadline when there might be issues with your credit card processing or whatever, you're probably good. Lots of people wait to submit until their summer classes are completed.

Really? Mind blown haha! I actually think I may have seen on a pre Med forum that it's important to submit early. Sometimes I venture to "the other side" out of curiosity. Thank you so much for responding. I had really been stressing over this

Wait until August if it will mean improvement on your app. Submitting earlier does nothing (as far as I know) to help or hinder your chances.

I submitted around the beginning of August last year mostly for the security of knowing it was finished. Otherwise I would have nitpicked over every word until the deadline.:rolleyes:

Really? Mind blown haha! I actually think I may have seen on a pre Med forum that it's important to submit early. Sometimes I venture to "the other side" out of curiosity. Thank you so much for responding. I had really been stressing over this

I think med has rolling admissions so there actually IS a benefit whereas most vet schools don’t because we have one set application deadline and most schools don’t look at you until then.

Ah, yes med school applications are a different story!

I think med has rolling admissions so there actually IS a benefit whereas most vet schools don’t because we have one set application deadline and most schools don’t look at you until then.

That's what I get for having wandering eyes lol. There are typically just so many more resources for pre-Med than pre-vet! Yay for now officially taking 18 hours this summer! *Lord help*

That's what I get for having wandering eyes lol. There are typically just so many more resources for pre-Med than pre-vet! Yay for now officially taking 18 hours this summer! *Lord help*

Better to look away from the pre-med dumpster fire ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have any good vet school acceptance stories? I'm in the mood to hear about what it felt like to receive your first acceptance letter.

Where were you, how did your family react, etc.? What does that moment really feel like? Scary? Exciting? Surreal? I want the deets

Anyone have any good vet school acceptance stories? I'm in the mood to hear about what it felt like to receive your first acceptance letter.

Where were you, how did your family react, etc.? What does that moment really feel like? Scary? Exciting? Surreal? I want the deets

I always liked this video...

Personally, I was out of the country on a VIDA trip when acceptances were mailed, and was resigned to just checking the mail when I was stateside again.

And then I got an email from our admissions department about an "accepted students reception" or something like that, and just went, ooohhhh boy. I think I just got into vet school?

Definitely refused to get excited until I had the piece of paper in my hand that confirmed it, trolled my mother about having "bad news" for her, and probably got dinner or something.

All things in my life are usually slightly complicated and anticlimactic. :p

Reactions: 4 users
I initially got an alternate list email, which was a bummer since I had already gotten straight up rejections from 2/4 schools that I applied to. Then an hour later got an acceptance email, nearly tossed my tablet out a window. A few minutes after that got a call confirming that the first email had been a mistake. I'm not sure I was coherent during that phone call :D

Reactions: 6 users
I always liked this video...

Personally, I was out of the country on a VIDA trip when acceptances were mailed, and was resigned to just checking the mail when I was stateside again.

And then I got an email from our admissions department about an "accepted students reception" or something like that, and just went, ooohhhh boy. I think I just got into vet school?

Definitely refused to get excited until I had the piece of paper in my hand that confirmed it, trolled my mother about having "bad news" for her, and probably got dinner or something.

All things in my life are usually slightly complicated and anticlimactic. :p

Haha! This made me laugh. I also appreciate your use of the ole "I've got bad news" trick

I initially got an alternate list email, which was a bummer since I had already gotten straight up rejections from 2/4 schools that I applied to. Then an hour later got an acceptance email, nearly tossed my tablet out a window. A few minutes after that got a call confirming that the first email had been a mistake. I'm not sure I was coherent during that phone call :D

You're kidding! What a whirlwind haha! On the contrary, I've always wondered what a school would do if they accidentally sent someone an acceptance instead of a rejection/waitlist notification

Got the call the Monday after the interview at exactly 9:31am. I was not looking forward to waiting all day (previous year’s people got calls the Monday after their interview anywhere from 9am to 3pm and I did not want to have to book expensive tickets to go interviewing all over the west coast for the rest of January). I don’t have reception in my building as well, so I had put the phone by the window and as soon as it started ringing I literally ran up the stairs to the ground level, dashed out the door and down the stairs to the parking lot, pressed the call accept button and tried to be all nonchalant and like I wasn’t out of breath. It was my interviewer (Dr. Holt), who introduced himself and asked me, “Do you know why I am calling?” I was getting all excited, and I was like are you serious?? It had snow stormed that first Friday of January and the school was closed, and then you heckled me during the interview asking why I hadn’t been riding a pony since I was six, and now you can’t even give me a straight acceptance??? But! I played nice, and feigned ignorance and said, “Oh did you need clarification on something or additional documents?” And he said, no you’re actually my first call of the day, and I wanted to personally call you and tell you that you’re accepted!” I think I said, “Wow! ... I mean, thank you, thank you, wow, I can’t believe it, thank you so much!” He laughed and said have a wonderful rest of the day and week, and that I would be getting an official letter in the mail in a few days and that he hopped to see me in the Fall. I got off the phone and I literally shouted across the parking lot, “Yeaaaahhhh M*****F*****rrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!” Then I looked at my phone to make sure Dr. Holt wasn’t still on the phone, and then glanced around to make sure no one had heard me... and then did a happy dance, saying, “fuuuuu**** f*** f*** f*** yeaaaaaaahhhhh!!!! I’m out, motha f*****aaaas!”

It was a good day. Also, I apologize for offending any sensibilities.

Reactions: 10 users
I only applied to two schools. I was rejected from one and waitlisted at the other, which was a ride in itself. Then one day I was leaving for work, and I was running late. As I stepped across the threshold to leave the house I heard the (landline) phone ring, and thought "whatever, [hubby] can grab it, I'm late." Then from the kitchen (looking at the caller ID) he hollered "it's the University of [where I was waitlisted]!" I have never spun around and grabbed a phone so fast in my life, and it was the Dean calling to congratulate me on my acceptance! It was suddenly irrelevant that I was very, very late!

Reactions: 11 users

I got an acceptance email, I saw it as soon as I got off work and immediately called my SO and was jumping up and down in the parking lot. :laugh: He was happy for me but didn't have a super strong reaction, he said he was pretty much expecting it. Then I called my dad and he was super excited, my mom was out shopping so I called her separately and she cried on the phone, it was really sweet. I had to apply three times, so it was a long time coming. Of course I re-read the email a million times to make sure I'd understood it correctly and it was real! I got my acceptance December 30th, so the next night was New Year's, I went out to dinner with the SO and then we went out to our favorite bar to ring in the new year. :D

You're kidding! What a whirlwind haha! On the contrary, I've always wondered what a school would do if they accidentally sent someone an acceptance instead of a rejection/waitlist notification

There was actually someone this year that got sent an acceptance letter for Iowa State by mistake when they were actually waitlisted, the school was apologetic but wouldn't honor the mistaken acceptance. :(

Reactions: 5 users
There was actually someone this year that got sent an acceptance letter for Iowa State by mistake when they were actually waitlisted, the school was apologetic but wouldn't honor the mistaken acceptance. :(
Yeah, I feel bad for them for that excitement and then let down. They had gotten their waitlist notification on their portal and then had gotten the letter in the mail a few days later, which definitely sucks