Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I do not understand when I got to other peoples houses and there aren't 3+ blankets per couch. And the blankets should be big enough to cocoon my whole body - none of that 50x60 crap :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
*Visits this thread and sees all the discussion about blankets*

1gzk4i.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have 7 blankets on my bed currently.

I knew I liked you all.

I have 10-12 blankets scattered around my home in the winter season.

Some of them are fluffy goose down blankets; and the other blankets are woven from warm wool or cozy fleece.

I purchased the woolen blankets on a winter trip to Utah - so those blankets are super-super-toasty. Plus, I have several electric blankets and 2 fireplaces in my home - so no one should be shivering unless they have the flu ... or they're a lizard.

Not surprisingly, my cat has claimed all of the blankets as her sole property (and most of the time, she claims the fireplaces, too).

Not surprisingly, my cat has claimed all of the blankets as her sole property (and most of the time, she claims the fireplaces, too).
I have two sets of throw blankets on my bed so my cat can have one and I can use the other :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Pellets. My cats transitioned fine. My less-than-ideal litter situation (2 cats, and I have 2 litterboxes side-by-side) actually made it easy. I took one litterbox out, put one of the new ones in, threw a little poop/litter from the old one in the new box. Let the remaining old litterbox get dirtier and dirtier for a week but kept the new one clean. When I saw urine/poop more consistently in the new one, replaced the remaining old one with a second new one.

Went perfect. I do love it - a few pellets get kicked out, but nothing like the old litter tracking all the way out into the living room on their feet. Smell is somewhat better.

But, my cats are pretty good guys. One time when we accidentally shut the door to the litterbox room, they went and sought out a similar sized container to pee in rather than just pee on the carpet or something.
I got one and have it sitting next to one of their old litter boxes right now. They pee in it but neither of them has pooped in it even once and I'm not sure why, or how to encourage them to do so. I can only go so long without cleaning the other box before I just have to, grosses me out to think of them going in there stepping on old poop.

Members don't see this ad :)
1tGLsQB.jpg

Got to work and found this on my desk.

One of my older assistants found it in her attic and thought because I see our exotics, I might like it...

...definitely hiding it in various terrifying places over the next little while. :laugh:

Reactions: 9 users
1tGLsQB.jpg

Got to work and found this on my desk.

One of my older assistants found it in her attic and thought because I see our exotics, I might like it...

...definitely hiding it in various terrifying places over the next little while. :laugh:
So fun story, my family used to have this exact statue as a decoration next to the pool when I was a kid. We lived in AZ at the time next to tons of huge empty spaces where hot air balloon companies loved to organize rides for their customers, and more than once I have had people yell at me about the snake in my yard as their balloons passed overhead.

Yesterday, I fell off my horse for the first time in years (though admittedly haven't been riding much the past few years so fewer opportunities for falls). We were working on flying changes, coach wanted me to keep her in a circle, mare got confused, tried to change direction and take the change, I tried to get her back on the right track, she over-corrected and I lost my balance. One of those slow-motion falls where you know you've reached the point of no return but can't do anything about it so you tuck and roll. After I got back on, we tried again, resulting in a bucking tantrum which I did stay on for, but bruised my thighs all to hell on the pommel.

Reactions: 2 users
A U of I grad put together a FB support group for those that find themselves needing to repeat the NAVLE. Unfortunately the group is extremely private so I can't share the link.

If anyone is interested in being added to this group, message me and I can give you the info of who to contact to be added. There's not a good way to do it privately, but I thought this would be a good place to share that this group exists.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmmm. I saw in Portland OR they have opened a new brewery that is in partnership with a local dog adoption group. People get to sit around and drink and there is a room with adoptable dogs attached. At first I loved the idea, but what about the people who adopt after a few brews then regret it in the morning? People likely forget even more how much work dogs are when they are buzzed and having a ball playing with them in a room where other people pick up their poop and feed and care for them.

I would love to see how it works out in numbers. How many get brought back versus how many get adopted out.

Hmmmm. I saw in Portland OR they have opened a new brewery that is in partnership with a local dog adoption group. People get to sit around and drink and there is a room with adoptable dogs attached. At first I loved the idea, but what about the people who adopt after a few brews then regret it in the morning? People likely forget even more how much work dogs are when they are buzzed and having a ball playing with them in a room where other people pick up their poop and feed and care for them.

I would love to see how it works out in numbers. How many get brought back versus how many get adopted out.
Maybe they won’t let them take them home that day and it’s just so they can interact with them in a different environment and then they come back to get them the next day? Idk
I agree that it seems like a weird idea to let buzzed people adopt an animal

Maybe they won’t let them take them home that day and it’s just so they can interact with them in a different environment and then they come back to get them the next day? Idk
I agree that it seems like a weird idea to let buzzed people adopt an animal
I looked them up and they just say they adhere to the adoption laws. I am betting that means that people from the service do home visits and stuff, so that makes me think it's all good. They say they don't let overly drunk folks in the room with the dogs either. a waiver and things have to be signed before going in. Sounds like they are making sure they head off anything that could end badly. haha

The dogs have an endless supply of people to play with at least!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got my ears pierced like 30 minutes ago. I got a rook and a conch done. Rook, felt like someone flicked my ear. Hardly felt it. Conch hurt a bit more, but was pretty average for a piercing.

BUT I'm home now and HOLY %#@$ the conch hurts. It immediately bruised and swelled up. Uuuuuuuugh I'm gunna need to take Advil.

Otherwise, 10/10, looks super dope and I'm happy I did something to decorate my body :)
IMG_4040.JPG

I just got my ears pierced like 30 minutes ago. I got a rook and a conch done. Rook, felt like someone flicked my ear. Hardly felt it. Conch hurt a bit more, but was pretty average for a piercing.

BUT I'm home now and HOLY %#@$ the conch hurts. It immediately bruised and swelled up. Uuuuuuuugh I'm gunna need to take Advil.

Otherwise, 10/10, looks super dope and I'm happy I did something to decorate my body :)
View attachment 228800
I want both of those so bad, but my industrial and most recent helix have been giving me nothing but problems (weird because the two cartilage piercings from high school have never give me trouble). I also want a daith and a tragus done but I foresee stethoscope issues with those so gonna have to pass.

One of the better tattoo shops in town does $20 piercings a few times a year and it's so tempting.

View attachment 228800
Oooh, pretty! @WildZoo and @Filly Bay can probably empathize with your pain. (I don't remember exactly what all ear piercings they have, but they both have quite a few :p)

My boss (dr pathologist) always has orange peels rotting in her compost. They never rot anywhere else except her office.
Today I joked and said we could stain it and she got really excited because I guess we need new fungal controls so now we're going to embed a rotting orange.
I feel bad for my coworker who has no idea and will come into work to see a ziploc labeled "moldy orange" in the fridge
:hilarious:

Omg! I already have a conch and I've been planning a rook for the next piercing on that ear. I think they look so great together :)

The conch is a pain for a bit but I found mine calmed down after a few days. My industrial on the other hand...

Omg! I already have a conch and I've been planning a rook for the next piercing on that ear. I think they look so great together :)

The conch is a pain for a bit but I found mine calmed down after a few days. My industrial on the other hand...
You have industrial problems too? Or just the healing process sucked? I've been thinking that I should probably take mine out long before my wedding to see if my keloid goes down..but I love the piercing itself :arghh: I'm going on 2 years now and it still gives me a trouble. The healing was really rough though. I swear if it could get caught on something, it would (and still will).

My most recent helix was a nightmare though. The piercer chose a back that was far too small and a post far too short for the inevitable swelling, and one day I realized that it was actually inside my ear. Couldn't unscrew the earring, the piercer had jammed the threading of the screw when she put it in. So I had to go back to the shop and they had to rip the whole earring through my ear. Good times. They sent me home with a larger, longer earring because I was too stubborn to just let it heal.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I fell off my horse for the first time in years (though admittedly haven't been riding much the past few years so fewer opportunities for falls). We were working on flying changes, coach wanted me to keep her in a circle, mare got confused, tried to change direction and take the change, I tried to get her back on the right track, she over-corrected and I lost my balance. One of those slow-motion falls where you know you've reached the point of no return but can't do anything about it so you tuck and roll. After I got back on, we tried again, resulting in a bucking tantrum which I did stay on for, but bruised my thighs all to hell on the pommel.
I was ridding the other day and my mare threw a bucking fit and smacked my crotch so hard on the pommel I wanted to cry. I'm still sore and definitely feel your pain

You have industrial problems too? Or just the healing process sucked? I've been thinking that I should probably take mine out long before my wedding to see if my keloid goes down..but I love the piercing itself :arghh: I'm going on 2 years now and it still gives me a trouble. The healing was really rough though. I swear if it could get caught on something, it would (and still will).

My most recent helix was a nightmare though. The piercer chose a back that was far too small and a post far too short for the inevitable swelling, and one day I realized that it was actually inside my ear. Couldn't unscrew the earring, the piercer had jammed the threading of the screw when she put it in. So I had to go back to the shop and they had to rip the whole earring through my ear. Good times. They sent me home with a larger, longer earring because I was too stubborn to just let it heal.
I got my industrial in August so it's not fully healed or anything yet. It actually is doing pretty well now, but it ached for a long time after I got it, compared to my conch. And it wasn't just if I bumped it or something, it was constant.

It also seems way more prone to hypertrophic scarring than my other piercings. That tends to go away if I don't slack on saline soaks.

There's so much individual variation on the healing process though. I got my conch and my upper lobes at the same time, and the last one to fully heal to where I could manipulate it without any pain was actually my left upper lobe, which makes no sense! Even now (over a year later) that one still gives me trouble sometimes. I think my left ear might just hate me.

I got my industrial in August so it's not fully healed or anything yet. It actually is doing pretty well now, but it ached for a long time after I got it, compared to my conch. And it wasn't just if I bumped it or something, it was constant.

It also seems way more prone to hypertrophic scarring than my other piercings. That tends to go away if I don't slack on saline soaks.

There's so much individual variation on the healing process though. I got my conch and my upper lobes at the same time, and the last one to fully heal to where I could manipulate it without any pain was actually my left upper lobe, which makes no sense! Even now (over a year later) that one still gives me trouble sometimes. I think my left ear might just hate me.
Maybe my right ear hates me then.

I'm using tea tree oil on my keloid and it seems to help, but I may have to go get something from my dermatologist. They can inject something into it (idr what) but you have to ditch the piercing.

Maybe my right ear hates me then.

I'm using tea tree oil on my keloid and it seems to help, but I may have to go get something from my dermatologist. They can inject something into it (idr what) but you have to ditch the piercing.
Yeah keloids are a titch more permanent than the typical hypertrophic scarring. Sucks you would have to take out the piercing to get rid of it :(

Looks awesome! :love:

@LyraGardenia is right, I have 13 piercings! Left nostril has a stud. Left ear has 3 lobes, daith, and industrial. Right ear has 2 lobes, conch, helix, and forward helix. :) Healing times and pain were variable. Conch and industrial have been on the longer/more painful end. Keep on top of your saline soaks, make sure the bar is long enough to allow room for swelling, and don't mess with it!

ETA pics - this was just after my industrial - was pretty swollen

AktROJ6.jpg
BJ1T6aJ.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Looks awesome! :love:

@LyraGardenia is right, I have 13 piercings! Left nostril has a stud. Left ear has 3 lobes, daith, and industrial. Right ear has 2 lobes, conch, helix, and forward helix. :) Healing times and pain were variable. Conch and industrial have been on the longer/more painful end. Keep on top of your saline soaks, make sure the bar is long enough to allow room for swelling, and don't mess with it!

ETA pics - this was just after my industrial - was pretty swollen
How do you pronounce daith? Is it 'day-th' or 'doth'? The internet says the latter but that just sounds silly to me.

Why does my cat have to get extra purr-y and cute whenever I absolutely have to get up and leave?

Reactions: 5 users
The honeymoon phase is over and now I'm just kind of bored with my clinic job. I still like working with the clients (most of the time), but it's just a lot of boring busy work. I'm always doing something, but I'm not learning anything, and there's something really unsatisfying about constantly pulling charts out, watching them pile up, and then putting them away again. I hear almost no diagnosis or treatment discussions. It's just a really boring job.

I'm going to try and get 2 weeks off in May/June for travel, and if that doesn't get approved I'm just going to quit. :p

The honeymoon phase is over and now I'm just kind of bored with my clinic job. I still like working with the clients (most of the time), but it's just a lot of boring busy work. I'm always doing something, but I'm not learning anything, and there's something really unsatisfying about constantly pulling charts out, watching them pile up, and then putting them away again. I hear almost no diagnosis or treatment discussions. It's just a really boring job.

I'm going to try and get 2 weeks off in May/June for travel, and if that doesn't get approved I'm just going to quit. :p
Aw I’m sorry pbc :(
Hope your time off gets approved and you can have a bit of fun.

I felt the *same* way working in a clinic.
Had to leave in order to reinforce my love for veterinary medicine, just in a different way

Alright SDN peeps.... I have a question and I'm gonna try to make it short. Take a W for organic II this semester if I drop now, and most likely make a high B or and A when retaking it over the summer, or stay in the class and make a C? Got the flu and bombed the first exam. Don't know what to do from here as this semester will count towards my last 45. (Applying to vet school this summer)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Alright SDN peeps.... I have a question and I'm gonna try to make it short. Take a W for organic II this semester if I drop now, and most likely make a high B or and A when retaking it over the summer, or stay in the class and make a C? Got the flu and bombed the first exam. Don't know what to do from here as this semester will count towards my last 45. (Applying to vet school this summer)

What do you grades look like otherwise? If it isn’t going to bring you down hugely I might just take the dip. But if you need to show strong upward improvement that’s a mark for retake. Summer classes are often more pricey, another consideration.

What do you grades look like otherwise? If it isn’t going to bring you down hugely I might just take the dip. But if you need to show strong upward improvement that’s a mark for retake. Summer classes are often more pricey, another consideration.
Agreed. I took C+s (I think? Maybe B-?) Both quarters of bio chem and it worked out ok. In fact, one of my last 45 quarters I made a baddd decision to take 3 very hard classes at the same time, for like 18 credits (quarter, which is the maximum, 15 is ft) and had a 2.9 overall that quarter. Still had a competitive application.

I'm a mediocre student. Really needed to kick it up this semester and summer semester to bring up my cumulative GPA. I'm sick to my stomach over this because I really needed to knock it out of the park. Are W's an application killer?

Agreed. I took C+s (I think? Maybe B-?) Both quarters of bio chem and it worked out ok. In fact, one of my last 45 quarters I made a baddd decision to take 3 very hard classes at the same time, for like 18 credits (quarter, which is the maximum, 15 is ft) and had a 2.9 overall that quarter. Still had a competitive application.

Hmmm that is definitely nice to know. I'm just worried because I am an extremely average- below average student anyways, so it's not like I have a 3.9 GPA and this would be my only C . Ughhhhhh.

Hmmm that is definitely nice to know. I'm just worried because I am an extremely average- below average student anyways, so it's not like I have a 3.9 GPA and this would be my only C . Ughhhhhh.

What is your GPA at? I'm definitely average. My GPA is 3.59 and last 45 came to 3.38