Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is your GPA at? I'm definitely average. My GPA is 3.59 and last 45 came to 3.38

That sounds amazing to me haha. I have like a 3.2 overall. Wanted to bring it up this semester and next to the best of my ability. I'm embarrassed to even write that number out

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

That sounds amazing to me haha. I have like a 3.2 overall. Wanted to bring it up this semester and next to the best of my ability. I'm embarrassed to even write that number out
If that is the case retaking it isn't a terrible idea if you think it is feasible! Having a high last 45 can totally change how your overall looks

If that is the case retaking it isn't a terrible idea if you think it is feasible! Having a high last 45 can totally change how your overall looks

Alright. I think that's what I'll do. I mean surely they will *kinda* appreciate that I took initiative and tried to do better. Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright. I think that's what I'll do. I mean surely they will *kinda* appreciate that I took initiative and tried to do better. Thanks for the input!

It’s totally explainable, yeah? A health situation outside of your control meant that you did not have the chance to do as well as you knew you were able, so you considered your options and chose to drop and retake it at a time when you could give it the focus it deserved. You wanted to succeed and knew you were capable of succeeding so you set yourself up for success.

Reactions: 1 users
Are W's an application killer?

Not at all, especially if this is your only one! I didn't have any W's, but my understanding is they're generally only a concern if you were dropping classes left and right.

It’s totally explainable, yeah? A health situation outside of your control meant that you did not have the chance to do as well as you knew you were able, so you considered your options and chose to drop and retake it at a time when you could give it the focus it deserved. You wanted to succeed and knew you were capable of succeeding so you set yourself up for success.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I literally had a puke bag hid in my jacket while taking the exam just in case lol. Thank you all for the encouragement and for putting my thoughts into much more eloquent words vet med is just so cut throat. Every little move makes me feel inadequate and it's hard to keep treading water sometimes. It will hopefully all be worth it in the end!

Reactions: 1 user
Was she rolling around in the bag of pretzels

Or does she have frito toes
She smells like soft pretzels. Maybe she’s become a part-time unlicensed street vendor in the great philly tradition.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm a mediocre student. Really needed to kick it up this semester and summer semester to bring up my cumulative GPA. I'm sick to my stomach over this because I really needed to knock it out of the park. Are W's an application killer?

My gpa was high, so take this with a grain of salt, but I applied with two W's, due to financial issues where I needed the money back. I explained this in my application. So not a killer per say, just make sure you crushed it next semester. That being said, I bombed my first orgo 2 test and then still managed an A overall in the class by working my butt off for the rest if the semester. We did have one exam to drop though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just can't. there are some sports I just don't understand why. ok, a kid on a hill on a sled (and probably male) going head first yeup, I see that. down a water slide. ok. but a icy death trap like the courses are? at 80mph? (or is it faster??) NOOOOOOOO

I just can't. there are some sports I just don't understand why. ok, a kid on a hill on a sled (and probably male) going head first yeup, I see that. down a water slide. ok. but a icy death trap like the courses are? at 80mph? (or is it faster??) NOOOOOOOO
BAAAAASSICALLY MY FEELS TOO.
I also think luge is a not good, either.
Yeah I couldn’t do luge either but would def choose that over skeleton. 100%

nope. nope. nope. nope. but then, grew up in an area without most snow sports. (West Texas) snowballs was the most we ever did!

I saw that! Apparrently they're thinking his stuff may bahve been spiked :shrug: Like really to take that for curling.
I see your implication, but to the athlete it doesn’t matter if they’re a skiier, a swimmer, a gymnast, a hockey player, or a curler, they all compete against the best in the world at the sport they love, and they are easily tempted with the related drugs.

It’s the same justification as you hear people abusing Adderall to do better in school. Is it harmful, but they’re trying to be better than the rest.

curling--men with brooms. how awesome is that??? just kidding. curling fascinates me for some reason. but, I also like shuffleboard and pool....

LOL. Was cruising through a production medicine Facebook group that was under the theme prompt of birth defects during my biochem lecture. Got to a few photos of inside out calves and showed them to my friend, and we were discussing how interesting it was when the random person on the other side of me looked over. I missed her initial facial expression (which my friend tells me was that of someone who was about to scream and/or vomit), but when I turned she was staring at my laptop with a look of complete horror. She refused to meet my eyes and proceeded to scooch over the the far side of her seat and stay as far away as she could for the rest of lecture.

Whoops?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
@Animal Midwife vulpix avy returns! :clap::clap:

ee1601d1eb92a1011e230fcae0edbc419f8cfda305e36bd4c961e25d8adf87d6.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
It’s slightly amusing when you get suggested Amazon orders based on the large necropsy knife you bought for anatomy. :laugh:

3FCBEE02-CC66-49F6-BAA2-8A7C613697EC.jpeg

It’s slightly amusing when you get suggested Amazon orders based on the large necropsy knife you bought for anatomy. :laugh:

View attachment 229991
Did you know you can remove previously purchased items from your recommendations lists on Amazon? I do it all the time after I buy Christmas gifts.

Reactions: 2 users
Did you know you can remove previously purchased items from your recommendations lists on Amazon? I do it all the time after I buy Christmas gifts.
"Christmas gifts," you say ;)

Reactions: 5 users
I'm going to put this here since it's not quite a rant or anything. Please don't quote this as I may delete it at some point.

My mom sent me an email this morning basically asking me what she and my dad did wrong as we don't talk much and I don't go home too frequently (part of this is now due to the fact that our dogs don't get along and I'd like to avoid stress/fights). Now I've always considered myself an independent person and tend to keep to myself and prefer my down time. Other than her asking me what they did wrong too frequently (which then annoys me because there isn't anything), I can't really think of anything. They've supported me when I need it and have always been there. I never had strict rules as a kid and they always trusted me. I don't know how to explain to them why I am this way. I think part of it is that social interactions are just draining to me, especially now when my work days involve me constantly having in depth conversations with people. Also when I have down time, I just want to literally do nothing but relax. I've brought this up to counselors in college about how it's affected us, but there were other things going on that were affecting me a little more heavily at the time, so it wasn't something we primarily worked on. Maybe it's time I go back to talking to one to figure things out. I just wish there was an easy way for me to convey this to them or that I fully understood why I do this because now I just feel like an a**.

I'd suggest being honest about your feelings. They need to know they didn't do anything wrong, and maybe they actually did a lot right all things considered. Also, as a parent myself, maybe you should consider making an effort to spend more time with them, even if it's just via phone. There will come a time where they aren't there, and you may regret not making an effort to be there for them as they have been there for you.

When I was in high school, my parents and I had a group counseling session to try to better understand each other. At the time, i remember my dad sharing that he really enjoyed just sharing a space with us (his family). We didn't have to be doing something together or even being in the same room, but he took comfort and pleasure in us all being together. At the time I thought that was dumb and annoying. Why couldn't he understand that we wanted to go out and explore and interact with the world? Why did it matter if we were home but not doing anything together?

As a quiet and introverted adult (who craves human interaction a little more than my dad did, but not nearly like my mom does), I totally get this. I don't need go spend time with the people I love quite like my dad did, but I actually just really like to be in someone's relative presence. I'm generally fine if the other person wants to have a relatively 1 sided conversion with me, but I'm not chatty. I'm terrible at small talk. I like quiet. I guess what in trying to day is maybe you can coexist from time to time similarly with your family. Where they can appreciate you presence but it not be exhausting for you. Maybe that could even be phone calls or video chat where you aren't necessarily heavily interacting with each other (silence doesnt habe to be awkward) but you are present in each others lives as you about completing ordinary tasks or whatever.

Thanks for the thoughts you guys and the whole "having regrets" thing is definitely something I worry about and know will be a reality if I can't fix this. But for whatever reason, realizing that hasn't made it any easier. Phone calls would be definitely be the easiest way to communicate with them as we live 5 1/2 -6 hours away from each other on a good day (I'm in RI and they're near Philly), however that's another aspect of life I have never enjoyed. Personal issue and it shouldn't be an excuse but it's another one of those things that causes me stress for whatever reason. However, it is something I can at least try and put the effort into.

I'll definitely be honest with them again. I feel like I've tried to explain it before but at that time, I don't think I even quite understood why I'm not the best at staying in touch. Now that I'm working and older, I feel like I have a better grasp of what's going on.

I want to add that this shouldn't be a question that comes up repeatedly. There's no reason to say "where did we go wrong?" once you've already discussed it with them as clearly as you can - it just places blame and stress on you, and there's no reason to bring it up again unless they want to make you feel guilty. It might just be their way of saying "hey, we miss you," or maybe they feel responsible for whatever they perceive as "wrong" with your relationship, but it's not fair to ask this question as frequently as it sounds like they do.

Can you make an effort to text or e-mail more frequently? Texting is great because it lets them know that you care about them and are purposefully involving them in your life, but it isn't the time commitment or social stress that phone calls are.

I just got my ears pierced like 30 minutes ago. I got a rook and a conch done. Rook, felt like someone flicked my ear. Hardly felt it. Conch hurt a bit more, but was pretty average for a piercing.

BUT I'm home now and HOLY %#@$ the conch hurts. It immediately bruised and swelled up. Uuuuuuuugh I'm gunna need to take Advil.

Otherwise, 10/10, looks super dope and I'm happy I did something to decorate my body :)
View attachment 228800
I've had a rook and I love it! I want to get an industrial and tragus on the other side once spring season is over

I want to add that this shouldn't be a question that comes up repeatedly. There's no reason to say "where did we go wrong?" once you've already discussed it with them as clearly as you can - it just places blame and stress on you, and there's no reason to bring it up again unless they want to make you feel guilty. It might just be their way of saying "hey, we miss you," or maybe they feel responsible for whatever they perceive as "wrong" with your relationship, but it's not fair to ask this question as frequently as it sounds like they do.

Can you make an effort to text or e-mail more frequently? Texting is great because it lets them know that you care about them and are purposefully involving them in your life, but it isn't the time commitment or social stress that phone calls are.

I actually just explained the point you brought up to my mom today. I'm not sure that I communicated that bit as clearly to them in the past, but I did this time and it seems like she understands a bit better now so hopefully it won't be an issue going forward. And I agree, that I am sure it's more of her way of saying "we miss you" than anything else.

Totally random and I am not affiliated with them at all besides owning glasses from them.

If anyone needs glasses, I highly recommend you check out Fetch Eyewear. 100% of their proceeds go to animal rescue!! And they have pretty sweet styles and are very affordable.

Piggy backing off of this for @orca2011... I taught my mom how to snapchat so now she gets several passive communications from me every day. It's mostly just pictures and videos of my dogs. (If you don't snapchat, you could always learn ;) Or use something like text or facebook messenger...)

I don't call all that often and I live thousands of miles away so only visit once every few years... Sending silly little videos has increased the amount she "hears" from me by a lot, and it makes her really happy.