SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Random Stuffs

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by PetPony, Nov 12, 2011.

1. pinkpuppy9

pinkpuppy9 Illinois c/o 2019 2+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2013
    You have industrial problems too? Or just the healing process sucked? I've been thinking that I should probably take mine out long before my wedding to see if my keloid goes down..but I love the piercing itself :arghh: I'm going on 2 years now and it still gives me a trouble. The healing was really rough though. I swear if it could get caught on something, it would (and still will).

My most recent helix was a nightmare though. The piercer chose a back that was far too small and a post far too short for the inevitable swelling, and one day I realized that it was actually inside my ear. Couldn't unscrew the earring, the piercer had jammed the threading of the screw when she put it in. So I had to go back to the shop and they had to rip the whole earring through my ear. Good times. They sent me home with a larger, longer earring because I was too stubborn to just let it heal.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. bryndiana.jones

bryndiana.jones

Jul 20, 2017
    I was ridding the other day and my mare threw a bucking fit and smacked my crotch so hard on the pommel I wanted to cry. I'm still sore and definitely feel your pain

Gwenevre and Coquette22 like this.
  4. Lawper

Lawper Making America's Fat Cats Fat Again Rocket Scientist 2+ Year Member

Jun 17, 2014
    New World
  5. WildZoo

WildZoo Illegal in all 50 Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Apr 18, 2013
    The doll factory
    I got my industrial in August so it's not fully healed or anything yet. It actually is doing pretty well now, but it ached for a long time after I got it, compared to my conch. And it wasn't just if I bumped it or something, it was constant.

It also seems way more prone to hypertrophic scarring than my other piercings. That tends to go away if I don't slack on saline soaks.

There's so much individual variation on the healing process though. I got my conch and my upper lobes at the same time, and the last one to fully heal to where I could manipulate it without any pain was actually my left upper lobe, which makes no sense! Even now (over a year later) that one still gives me trouble sometimes. I think my left ear might just hate me.

6. pinkpuppy9

pinkpuppy9 Illinois c/o 2019 2+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Maybe my right ear hates me then.

I'm using tea tree oil on my keloid and it seems to help, but I may have to go get something from my dermatologist. They can inject something into it (idr what) but you have to ditch the piercing.

7. WildZoo

WildZoo Illegal in all 50 Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Apr 18, 2013
    The doll factory
    Yeah keloids are a titch more permanent than the typical hypertrophic scarring. Sucks you would have to take out the piercing to get rid of it :(

8. Filly Bay

Filly Bay Don't Panic Veterinarian Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Dec 9, 2012
    The Barn
    Looks awesome! :love:

@LyraGardenia is right, I have 13 piercings! Left nostril has a stud. Left ear has 3 lobes, daith, and industrial. Right ear has 2 lobes, conch, helix, and forward helix. :) Healing times and pain were variable. Conch and industrial have been on the longer/more painful end. Keep on top of your saline soaks, make sure the bar is long enough to allow room for swelling, and don't mess with it!

ETA pics - this was just after my industrial - was pretty swollen

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  9. PrincessButterCup

PrincessButterCup 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2014
    How do you pronounce daith? Is it 'day-th' or 'doth'? The internet says the latter but that just sounds silly to me.

10. Filly Bay

Filly Bay Don't Panic Veterinarian Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Dec 9, 2012
    The Barn
    I think the traditional pronunciation rhymes with froth but I always say it the first way (rhymes with faith)

11. strider144

strider144 medical shmedical

Mar 16, 2017
    Why does my cat have to get extra purr-y and cute whenever I absolutely have to get up and leave?

12. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    [​IMG]

HowConfusing, strider144 and cdoconn like this.
  13. PrincessButterCup

PrincessButterCup 2+ Year Member

Apr 10, 2014
    The honeymoon phase is over and now I'm just kind of bored with my clinic job. I still like working with the clients (most of the time), but it's just a lot of boring busy work. I'm always doing something, but I'm not learning anything, and there's something really unsatisfying about constantly pulling charts out, watching them pile up, and then putting them away again. I hear almost no diagnosis or treatment discussions. It's just a really boring job.

I'm going to try and get 2 weeks off in May/June for travel, and if that doesn't get approved I'm just going to quit. :p

SkiOtter likes this.
  14. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    Aw I’m sorry pbc :(
    Hope your time off gets approved and you can have a bit of fun.

15. CoffeeQuestionMark

CoffeeQuestionMark

Dec 18, 2017
    I felt the *same* way working in a clinic.
    Had to leave in order to reinforce my love for veterinary medicine, just in a different way

16. vethopeful_2

vethopeful_2

Mar 9, 2017
    Savannah, GA
    Alright SDN peeps.... I have a question and I'm gonna try to make it short. Take a W for organic II this semester if I drop now, and most likely make a high B or and A when retaking it over the summer, or stay in the class and make a C? Got the flu and bombed the first exam. Don't know what to do from here as this semester will count towards my last 45. (Applying to vet school this summer)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

17. flameshock

flameshock VMCVM c/o 2020 2+ Year Member

Jan 11, 2016
    What do you grades look like otherwise? If it isn’t going to bring you down hugely I might just take the dip. But if you need to show strong upward improvement that’s a mark for retake. Summer classes are often more pricey, another consideration.

vethopeful_2 likes this.
  18. CoffeeQuestionMark

CoffeeQuestionMark

Dec 18, 2017
    Agreed. I took C+s (I think? Maybe B-?) Both quarters of bio chem and it worked out ok. In fact, one of my last 45 quarters I made a baddd decision to take 3 very hard classes at the same time, for like 18 credits (quarter, which is the maximum, 15 is ft) and had a 2.9 overall that quarter. Still had a competitive application.

vethopeful_2 likes this.
  19. vethopeful_2

vethopeful_2

Mar 9, 2017
    Savannah, GA
    I'm a mediocre student. Really needed to kick it up this semester and summer semester to bring up my cumulative GPA. I'm sick to my stomach over this because I really needed to knock it out of the park. Are W's an application killer?

20. vethopeful_2

vethopeful_2

Mar 9, 2017
    Savannah, GA
    Hmmm that is definitely nice to know. I'm just worried because I am an extremely average- below average student anyways, so it's not like I have a 3.9 GPA and this would be my only C . Ughhhhhh.

21. CoffeeQuestionMark

CoffeeQuestionMark

Dec 18, 2017
    What is your GPA at? I'm definitely average. My GPA is 3.59 and last 45 came to 3.38

22. vethopeful_2

vethopeful_2

Mar 9, 2017
    Savannah, GA
    That sounds amazing to me haha. I have like a 3.2 overall. Wanted to bring it up this semester and next to the best of my ability. I'm embarrassed to even write that number out

23. CoffeeQuestionMark

CoffeeQuestionMark

Dec 18, 2017
    If that is the case retaking it isn't a terrible idea if you think it is feasible! Having a high last 45 can totally change how your overall looks

24. vethopeful_2

vethopeful_2

Mar 9, 2017
    Savannah, GA
    Alright. I think that's what I'll do. I mean surely they will *kinda* appreciate that I took initiative and tried to do better. Thanks for the input!

25. strider144

Mar 16, 2017
    It’s totally explainable, yeah? A health situation outside of your control meant that you did not have the chance to do as well as you knew you were able, so you considered your options and chose to drop and retake it at a time when you could give it the focus it deserved. You wanted to succeed and knew you were capable of succeeding so you set yourself up for success.

26. LyraGardenia

LyraGardenia Kansas State c/o 2020 2+ Year Member

Dec 9, 2013
    The Little Apple
    Not at all, especially if this is your only one! I didn't have any W's, but my understanding is they're generally only a concern if you were dropping classes left and right.

WildZoo and vethopeful_2 like this.
  27. vethopeful_2

vethopeful_2

Mar 9, 2017
    Savannah, GA
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. I literally had a puke bag hid in my jacket while taking the exam just in case lol. Thank you all for the encouragement and for putting my thoughts into much more eloquent words vet med is just so cut throat. Every little move makes me feel inadequate and it's hard to keep treading water sometimes. It will hopefully all be worth it in the end!

strider144 likes this.
  28. strider144

Mar 16, 2017
    My cat smells of pretzels and I don’t know why.

29. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    Was she rolling around in the bag of pretzels

Or does she have frito toes

30. strider144

Mar 16, 2017
    She smells like soft pretzels. Maybe she’s become a part-time unlicensed street vendor in the great philly tradition.

31. StayingPositive2017

StayingPositive2017 Accepted! MSU c/o 2022

Aug 2, 2017
    My gpa was high, so take this with a grain of salt, but I applied with two W's, due to financial issues where I needed the money back. I explained this in my application. So not a killer per say, just make sure you crushed it next semester. That being said, I bombed my first orgo 2 test and then still managed an A overall in the class by working my butt off for the rest if the semester. We did have one exam to drop though...

32. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    skeleton is not a sport i would like to try.

vetmedhead and katashark like this.
  33. killerleaf

killerleaf beware, beyond there be dragons 10+ Year Member

Sep 6, 2006
    dazed and confused
    is skeleton the one where they go down headfirst?

34. killerleaf

Sep 6, 2006
    dazed and confused
    because if it is, mad props to those who do it. that is just crazy to me.

35. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    YES. IT IS THAT ONE. no thanks you will not get me on a skeleton sled. nope. nope. nope.

36. killerleaf

Sep 6, 2006
    dazed and confused
    I just can't. there are some sports I just don't understand why. ok, a kid on a hill on a sled (and probably male) going head first yeup, I see that. down a water slide. ok. but a icy death trap like the courses are? at 80mph? (or is it faster??) NOOOOOOOO

SkiOtter likes this.
  37. killerleaf

Sep 6, 2006
    dazed and confused
    I also think luge is a not good, either.

Doctor-S likes this.
  38. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    BAAAAASSICALLY MY FEELS TOO.
    Yeah I couldn’t do luge either but would def choose that over skeleton. 100%

Doctor-S likes this.
  39. killerleaf

Sep 6, 2006
    dazed and confused
    nope. nope. nope. nope. but then, grew up in an area without most snow sports. (West Texas) snowballs was the most we ever did!

Doctor-S and vetmedhead like this.
  40. vetmedhead

vetmedhead Broken legs can be replaced 2+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2015
    in bed
    I don't think I could do luge for many reasons, including the video I saw of someone getting ready for the course and leaning back far enough that the seat of their flimsy spandex costume split

Cephal0pod, SkiOtter and Doctor-S like this.
  41. Lupin21

Lupin21 Do Not Disturb Staff Member Moderator Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Behind the green curtains
  42. MixedAnimals77

MixedAnimals77 WSU C/O 2022

May 16, 2016
    with the livestock
    Curling is a weird sport...just sayin.

SkiOtter likes this.
  43. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    It is but I love it
    (Also apparently one of the Russian athletes just failed a drug test because he was DOPING. FOR CURLING.)

cdoconn likes this.
  44. MixedAnimals77

May 16, 2016
    with the livestock
    I saw that! Apparrently they're thinking his stuff may bahve been spiked :shrug: Like really to take that for curling.

45. cdoconn

cdoconn Mac and Cheese Connoisseur. I hover quickly. 2+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2016
    I see your implication, but to the athlete it doesn’t matter if they’re a skiier, a swimmer, a gymnast, a hockey player, or a curler, they all compete against the best in the world at the sport they love, and they are easily tempted with the related drugs.

It’s the same justification as you hear people abusing Adderall to do better in school. Is it harmful, but they’re trying to be better than the rest.

SkiOtter and MixedAnimals77 like this.
  46. killerleaf

Sep 6, 2006
    dazed and confused
    curling--men with brooms. how awesome is that??? just kidding. curling fascinates me for some reason. but, I also like shuffleboard and pool....

SkiOtter likes this.
  47. Skimble

Skimble UPenn c/o 2019 Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    What was it?

48. SkiOtter

SkiOtter

Mar 10, 2016
    Bobsled looks fun

49. MixedAnimals77