Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My cat is an "indoor only" cat. Her microchip is up-to-date and working properly.

Shhhh ... don't tell anyone: we have earthquakes and wildfires in California and they may happen at any time.

1. What types of neck collars do you recommend for adult cats: break away, elastic, something else, or no collar?

2. What information should I include on the ID tag attached to the cat collar?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Yay!!!! Never realized how much work the process of actually applying was until I experienced it first-hand. I'm nowhere near done yet even though this next year is going to be stressful, at least now you've done your part and you can sit back and watch the flames from afar. Well at least until interviews, that is. Lol! Treat yo self!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I've actually already done the interview part! ;) I've been meeting with the lab I'm applying for and now we just have the official university stuff to get through. I'm putting in a very last minute application for grad school to start in the beginning of August!

Reactions: 1 users
My cat is an "indoor only" cat. Her microchip is up-to-date and working properly.

Shhhh ... don't tell anyone: we have earthquakes and wildfires in California and they may happen at any time.

1. What types of neck collars do you recommend for adult cats: break away, elastic, something else, or no collar?

I just use the generic Target brand breakaway collars for my 3 cats. Their tags all have their names, "indoor cat", and mine and my hubbo's phone numbers. I think the "indoor cat" part is important because a lot of people who just see a cat roaming around don't necessarily think its anything to be concerned about but if my cats get out and someone happens to see that on the tag hopefully they'd be more likely to call us.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just use the generic Target brand breakaway collars for my 3 cats. Their tags all have their names, "indoor cat", and mine and my hubbo's phone numbers. I think the "indoor cat" part is important because a lot of people who just see a cat roaming around don't necessarily think its anything to be concerned about but if my cats get out and someone happens to see that on the tag hopefully they'd be more likely to call us.

Huh, that's a really good idea and something I hadn't seen before. Yeah I (and many) would probably assume a cat that looks well cared for was just a neighborhood cat out doing it's thing.

Reactions: 2 users
I've actually already done the interview part! ;) I've been meeting with the lab I'm applying for and now we just have the official university stuff to get through. I'm putting in a very last minute application for grad school to start in the beginning of August!

Ahhh ok! Well then heck you should REALLY celebrate now!! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also if she requires meds and you have room, maybe put “needs meds” on there? I’ve seen people do that before too (and tbh two of my three dogs should have that on theirs...)

Reactions: 1 user

I feel like as an animal control employee I'm required by some netherwordly force to also tell you to check your local animal control requirements to see if they require your cat to wear a rabies tag or city license. They usually only have strict requirements for dogs to have tags or licenses on them but I've seen them required for cats in some places too.

In terms of info on an ID tag, I find that they are naturally limited in space because cats can't have as large of tags as dogs. I would definitely put a current phone number and your name if you can fit it. The nice thing about having a rabies tag or city license on there is that if your animal is picked up it's very easy to trace those tags back to an owner since there's a lot of paperwork involved in filing them and each tag number is unique

I feel like as an animal control employee I'm required by some netherwordly force to also tell you to check your local animal control requirements to see if they require your cat to wear a rabies tag or city license. They usually only have strict requirements for dogs to have tags or licenses on them but I've seen them required for cats in some places too.

In terms of info on an ID tag, I find that they are naturally limited in space because cats can't have as large of tags as dogs. I would definitely put a current phone number and your name if you can fit it. The nice thing about having a rabies tag or city license on there is that if your animal is picked up it's very easy to trace those tags back to an owner since there's a lot of paperwork involved in filing them and each tag number is unique
Sadly the state of Michigan is one of the ones that doesn’t make you license cats

One thing if you can't fit all the info you want to on a tag, is you can get collars that have info embroidered on them. My kitties both have collars with their name and my phone number.

Thank you your valuable suggestions!

@vetmedhead Definitely good to know. My city does not require rabies tags or license tags for cats. Instead, they are required for dogs over the age of 4 months.

@kcoughli love your "indoor cat" suggestion. It's easy to assume any "collared" cat wandering around outdoors is allowed to be outdoors, as well as indoors. However, with a collar tag clearly marked "indoor cat," that assumption cannot be made. Great idea! Will add that notation to my cat's tag.

@SkiOtter another great idea. Fortunately, my cat does not need meds. However, if she did need meds, your suggestion would be well-advised.

@WildZoo I didn't know about embroidered cat collars. I found some safety breakaway embroidered cat collars that I can customize (with pet name and contact number) and order online. Will buy them and add engraved tag. Great idea!

Thanks to all of you, my cat will be well-identified (if she ever gets outside due to a disaster).

You're the best!!! :)

Reactions: 7 users
ImageUploadedBySDN1530724647.460169.jpg

She looks irritated because I’m not ‘petting’ her, lol. She has a blingy tag that has her name and my number on the back. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

@vetmedhead Definitely good to know. My city does not require rabies tags or license tags for cats. Instead, they are required for dogs over the age of 4 months.

@kcoughli love your "indoor cat" suggestion. It's easy to assume any "collared" cat wandering around outdoors is allowed to be outdoors, as well as indoors. However, with a collar tag clearly marked "indoor cat," that assumption cannot be made. Great idea! Will add that notation to my cat's tag.

@SkiOtter another great idea. Fortunately, my cat does not need meds. However, if she did need meds, your suggestion would be well-advised.

@WildZoo I didn't know about embroidered cat collars. I found some safety breakaway embroidered cat collars that I can customize (with pet name and contact number) and order online. Will buy them and add engraved tag. Great idea!

Thanks to all of you, my cat will be well-identified (if she ever gets outside due to a disaster).

By the way, do you have the login information for the microchip for your cat as well? I make a point with all my pets to log in to the company's website once a year or so and update the address/contact information and so on to make sure everything is current, but I also move a lot.

By the way, do you have the login information for the microchip for your cat as well? I make a point with all my pets to log in to the company's website once a year or so and update the address/contact information and so on to make sure everything is current, but I also move a lot.
I think she mentioned it was up to date. I also try to go on once a year and make sure it’s up to date. And on the homeagain site there’s a spot for adding meds they need so I put those in too just in case they happen to get separated from us for a long time, someone hopefully could get them the proper meds, because cardiac meds aren’t really something you wanna skip :laugh:

Speaking of "indoor cat" written on collars, you can also buy them orange collars. There's a bit of a movement to try to get indoor cats to wear orange collars so that they are immediately indentifiable as "kitty convicts" - ie they escaped and are not meant to be outdoors.

Why you should put an orange collar on your cat - The Kitty Convict Project

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

My cat went under general anesthesia this morning for routine dental work. She is doing well and is scheduled to be discharged later this evening. :)

I wanted to thank everyone at the veterinary hospital for caring for my cat.

So I delivered 4 large cheese pizzas to the veterinarians, and to the rest of the busy staff at lunchtime.

Thank you very much for taking care of my cat!
I love all of you - you're the BEST!!! :biglove:

Four Pizzas.JPG

Pizzas - Close Up.JPG

Reactions: 13 users
My cat went under general anesthesia this morning for routine dental work. She is doing well and is scheduled to be discharged later this evening. :)

I wanted to thank everyone at the veterinary hospital for caring for my cat.

So I delivered 4 large cheese pizzas to the veterinarians, and to the rest of the busy staff at lunchtime.

Thank you very much for taking care of my cat!
I love all of you - you're the BEST!!! :biglove:

View attachment 236894

View attachment 236895
Oh man your my favorite client. Sweet, thoughful, loving. Don't stop being you
Glad she did well!

Found this little guy while clearing some old hay out of a garden bed. Soil is very sandy there
IMG_20180712_182615410.jpg
IMG_20180712_182213638.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180712_182112681.jpg
    IMG_20180712_182112681.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: 6 users
Is there a reptile thread or should I just put my pics here?
@vetmedhead (I think you're the herpetophile?)
There isn't :(

(Also I am)
Pics pls

Also meats IS a reptile. I think @Trilt is too
(This is true. It's why reptiles and I get along so well)
Found this little guy while clearing some old hay out of a garden bed. Soil is very sandy there
View attachment 237031 View attachment 237032
(I will accept your lovely amphibian photos here)

Anyone know what kind of snake this is? It's a baby but I'm not sure if it's a rattlesnake or an imitator species
20180712_175636.jpeg

Anyone know what kind of snake this is? It's a baby but I'm not sure if it's a rattlesnake or an imitator speciesView attachment 237054
Does it have rattles? Even baby rattlers have their buttons in their tails. Otherwise bull snake. Can't super tell by the pic. Finding new friends in AZ?

Does it have rattles? Even baby rattlers have their buttons in their tails. Otherwise bull snake. Can't super tell by the pic. Finding new friends in AZ?
Didn't see a button on the tail, so I'm guessing it's a bull snake like you said. Lol I have seen more wildlife here than I have seen in years. Day 1: found a scorpion in the garage, so I get a broom to sweep it outside and it promptly sprints towards my feet to (imo) attack me. Day 2: saw a lone Coyote just taking a stroll through the park a block from my house. Then today this little creature tried to escape the monsoon by finding shelter in my garage. The scorpion trap caught him but we were able to free him and release him

Didn't see a button on the tail, so I'm guessing it's a bull snake like you said. Lol I have seen more wildlife here than I have seen in years. Day 1: found a scorpion in the garage, so I get a broom to sweep it outside and it promptly sprints towards my feet to (imo) attack me. Day 2: saw a lone Coyote just taking a stroll through the park a block from my house. Then today this little creature tried to escape the monsoon by finding shelter in my garage. The scorpion trap caught him but we were able to free him and release him
NOPE BYE

That's awesome! Yeah I was a little alarmed to touch it and realize it wasn't actually dead
Oh my gosh! I couldn't. Of all animals snakes I cannot. I have legit tried but I think being instilled to look out for rattlers from a young age has scarred me. Also hate scorpions. Props to you! Where did you find the snake? It looks like the bathtub!

I was thinking the bottom of a smallish plastic trash can
Exactly right lol, that's where we put him when we carried him to be released. I was not about to carry a snake that could have been a rattler with my hands.

Anyone know what kind of snake this is? It's a baby but I'm not sure if it's a rattlesnake or an imitator speciesView attachment 237054
Do you know what color its belly was? The dark splotches on the neck immediately behind the head lean me a bit toward calling it a desert night snake rather than a gopher snake but it's difficult to tell with just this picture unfortunately. They frequently eat scorpions and are common finds in the house in AZ so would be probably a relatively common find in a scorpion trap.

Also if you ever catch unsuspecting herps in a glue trap again, canola oil and q tips are really awesome for helping to free the little dudes with less stress on them and their skin

Do you know what color its belly was? The dark splotches on the neck immediately behind the head lean me a bit toward calling it a desert night snake rather than a gopher snake but it's difficult to tell with just this picture unfortunately. They frequently eat scorpions and are common finds in the house in AZ so would be probably a relatively common find in a scorpion trap.
The only kind of snake I would allow in my home

You are getting a great welcome to AZ. At least you came right with all the storms so that it is somewhat cooler. :laugh: