Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good to know, have you lived out here?

Born and raised. 30 years, minus the 4 years I was gone for vet school. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Born and raised. 30 years, minus the 4 years I was gone for vet school. :)
That's cool, I've only been here a week but am really enjoying it so far! Could do without the 113 degree days but what can you do?

Members don't see this ad :)
The only kind of snake I would allow in my home
There are a pretty large number of arthropod eating snakes. There's a lot in my town here that specialize on spiders and they are also welcome in my home along with pretty much any other snake lol.

There's even a family of snakes that specializes on eating ants and termites. Snakes are pretty cool little dudes.

Reactions: 3 users
There are a pretty large number of arthropod eating snakes. There's a lot in my town here that specialize on spiders and they are also welcome in my home along with pretty much any other snake lol.

There's even a family of snakes that specializes on eating ants and termites. Snakes are pretty cool little dudes.

These sneks are welcome by my home... on the outside. They are not welcome IN my home. My kitty lives in my home and she would think they are cool, slithery rope toy. And then she would get bit and I would have lots of sads.

These SDN Alerts at the top are getting super annoying.

They never used to have alerts every stinking day. The once a week or to warn us of updates was great, now it is alerting me to every ****ing thing. I don't care about AMCAS "tips" or that there is a "new article". Stop alerting me. Rawr!

Reactions: 5 users
These sneks are welcome by my home... on the outside. They are not welcome IN my home. My kitty lives in my home and she would think they are cool, slithery rope toy. And then she would get bit and I would have lots of sads.
My cat once tried to push open a screen door so he could let a wasp in and try to eat it, so he has no chance if any wildlife is in the general vicinity of our home lol

Yes, by IN any home I mostly meant they’d be allowed in the garage as long as they stay away from me or I’ll scream (I’m fine with sneks if it’s a pet but wild sneks are a different story)

They never used to have alerts every stinking day. The once a week or to warn us of updates was great, now it is alerting me to every ****ing thing. I don't care about AMCAS "tips" or that there is a "new article". Stop alerting me. Rawr!
I noticed this too!! And they’re almost never relevant. Is there anyway to unsubscribe to these?

Reactions: 2 users

I noticed this too!! And they’re almost never relevant. Is there anyway to unsubscribe to these?
One way to find out
@Lupin21 @dyachei ???

Reactions: 1 users
Do you know what color its belly was? The dark splotches on the neck immediately behind the head lean me a bit toward calling it a desert night snake rather than a gopher snake but it's difficult to tell with just this picture unfortunately. They frequently eat scorpions and are common finds in the house in AZ so would be probably a relatively common find in a scorpion trap.

It's belly was quite light, probably like a cream color.

Also if you ever catch unsuspecting herps in a glue trap again, canola oil and q tips are really awesome for helping to free the little dudes with less stress on them and their skin

Thank you so much for the tip, didn't want the little thing to die so I'll keep that in mind if it happens again!

Look! I made put together from a box this!

2BA58A9C-4B49-4D1C-9F4E-9C6F5C1E1C6C.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
It's belly was quite light, probably like a cream color.

Thank you so much for the tip, didn't want the little thing to die so I'll keep that in mind if it happens again!
Sounds like a desert night snake. Bull snakes/gopher snakes tend to have black spots on their bellies

Reactions: 1 user
So, we are finally moving ahead with a court case against the landlord in the asbestos case. The lawyer asked me what I had for social media accounts and said he would probably have me delete them all.

Tldr: Anybody know how to remove my social accounts (FB, Twitter, etc) without actually losing my screen name and all my photos?

I just opened an account and got my screen name and @OtheFarm. How freaking cool is that? I have no real ties to it other than a desire to keep the screen name.

I have been on it since 2003(?) (A year after it came out, second round of colleges.) It holds many of my only copies of photos from college and of my kids.

I don't use it for personal stuff all that much, but do have a farm page associated with my account. Facebook is still the best place for dairy goat sales, so shutting it down would be a bit of a problem there, as is deleting 15 years of photos and posts, even though I barely used it.

Part of the worry is if the jury doesn't agree with my politics, they may be prejudiced against me (and it will be in MT, and I am a mom of 3 girls, 1 with a disability, am part Native American, and have a science background... and apparently science is "of the devil" to some people.

I have barely used it.

Mostly this has my only line of communication to my dad and then a few professional work threads

And then

The lawyer said "Oh, we don't worry about professional forums." Lol.

Plus, I guess I have a LinkedIn account.

I was told that the defense would ask for the passwords to each of my social media accounts so they could go over all the details of my life.

Other than people disliking me for my political views (my daughters should get healthcare and an education and decreased risk of abuse, humans are humans and should be treated fairly regardless of identifying traits... classic disenfranchised-sciencey-minority mom stuff) I don't think I post anything but stuff that would help my case.

I got screwed over wildly by this whole event. My family was treated like actual crap. Friends in relevant fields educating me as to pertinent laws and industry norms. I got wildly depressed and stopped interacting with just about anyone, including here. (Actually, my anger over the roll back of protections for my kids has been helpful in drawing me back into conversation and has been part of bringing me back here.)

If anything, I see my social media as proof of what this all meant to my family... but I may just be holding on out of fear of losing one of the few things we got to keep when our stuff was all destroyed.

I know fb you can just deactivate your account temporarily but you can always deactivate and it comes back like you never left. I’m not sure if they’d be able to log in and see everything though if you’ve deactivated...

I know fb you can just deactivate your account temporarily but you can always deactivate and it comes back like you never left. I’m not sure if they’d be able to log in and see everything though if you’ve deactivated...
Neither do I. I do know that I can't operate my farm page without a linked human account though. And that is basically my business website. So I don't really want to get rid of it. I don't know if I can still run it with a deactivated main profile though.

Maybe make a new account with no personal info to be the co-admin of your page? Then maybe it won't be affected by deactivating your actual Facebook?

I couldn't find a way to easily purge stuff. When I wanted to get rid of a lot of the 'fluff' on mine, I went to the memories page and deleted stuff every day for a year...you could do that but selectively delete or save what you want to keep but it sounds like you might need things to happen faster than that.

So, we are finally moving ahead with a court case against the landlord in the asbestos case. The lawyer asked me what I had for social media accounts and said he would probably have me delete them all.

I was told that the defense would ask for the passwords to each of my social media accounts so they could go over all the details of my life.

So is your attorney going to get access to all the personal accounts of your landlord?

I honestly don't understand how social media comes into play at all in a case like this. Unless the landlord is counter-suing you for libel/slander saying you posted crap about them on social media. Otherwise, they have no reason to demand access to your social media accounts.

Change your name on facebook to something unrecognizable and tell them you don't have a facebook. They can't prove that you do.

Maybe make a new account with no personal info to be the co-admin of your page? Then maybe it won't be affected by deactivating your actual Facebook?

I couldn't find a way to easily purge stuff. When I wanted to get rid of a lot of the 'fluff' on mine, I went to the memories page and deleted stuff every day for a year...you could do that but selectively delete or save what you want to keep but it sounds like you might need things to happen faster than that.
That might be a good idea.

They are going to have a associate look at my FB page to see if there is much liability there. I honestly don't think so. But if she says I need to get rid of it... I gotta figure out how to save pictures at least.

I also explained that you can't really delete all of your FB presence. Where I posted on friend's pages and such will still be there.

They are going to have a associate look at my FB page to see if there is much liability there. I honestly don't think so. But if she says I need to get rid of it... I gotta figure out how to save pictures at least.

I also explained that you can't really delete all of your FB presence. Where I posted on friend's pages and such will still be there.
Deactivating your fb won’t delete any pictures :)

You can also change things to “only me” in the privacy section. I believe you should be able to do that for all parts of your fb, including wall, pictures, likes, etc.

I don’t think this is true. I have friends that deleted their accounts and their comments on my pics/posts no longer appear, which makes for some confusing looking conversations.

It’s is true that that nothing on the internet is ever truly deleted. Someone can always find it if they know how to look.

I don’t think this is true. I have friends that deleted their accounts and their comments on my pics/posts no longer appear, which makes for some confusing looking conversations.

It’s is true that that nothing on the internet is ever truly deleted. Someone can always find it if they know how to look.
^^yep if you delete your page then the comments on other people’s stuff goes away. I’ve also had friends where that’s happened. If you just unfriend someone who’s commented on your stuff, the comments still stay there, but if they delete/deactivate their Facebook, they don’t appear.
Obviously if they went and got tech people involved that’s a different story.

If you DO end up having to download all your pics and delete fb, here’s a lovely YouTube video that shows you how to do it by album.

I guess then that deactivating won't delete photos and posts well enough for the lawyer.

Again, they just want to make sure I have nothing available online that the opposition can use to paint us as less than wonderful people. I don't think I have ever posted anything that paints me as a bad person anywhere... but I am only looking through my own eyes.

I guess then that deactivating won't delete photos and posts well enough for the lawyer.

Again, they just want to make sure I have nothing available online that the opposition can use to paint us as less than wonderful people. I don't think I have ever posted anything that paints me as a bad person anywhere... but I am only looking through my own eyes.
Oh, it’ll make your pictures unviewable to others. Sorry, I meant it won’t permanetly delete them and they’ll be there again for you when you reactivate :) but when your profile is deactivated, no one will be able to access them or anything you’ve posted.

Oh, it’ll make your pictures unviewable to others. Sorry, I meant it won’t permanetly delete them and they’ll be there again for you when you reactivate :)
Yeah, lawyer said they can request my passwords for all my accounts. (ETA: so they can see it even though it is deactivated)

It makes me wonder though because things like here and Twitter aren't actually associated with my name. Only LinkedIn and FB are.

Yeah, lawyer said they can request my passwords for all my accounts. (ETA: so they can see it even though it is deactivated)

It makes me wonder though because things like here and Twitter aren't actually associated with my name. Only LinkedIn and FB are.
I really don’t understand how they can request your passwords...

Me either, but that is what I was told. I think maybe there is standing against that as there was a recent ruling that police cannot search your phone or force you to unlock it without a warrant. But that is criminal versus civil law.

Why is that even relevant when the case is regarding a rental issue? It shouldn't matter what your political beliefs are. If you're not a nice person does that mean the landlord did nothing wrong? Legal stuff can be such b.s.

Even if you were the scum of the earth (which I know 100% you aren't) they still can't commit a crime against you. I'd see if you can get a second input on this, something seems very off here.

From google it looks like there is a precedent for this, and it’s not treated the same way as email, etc. I had no idea they could get it so easily.

Me either, but that is what I was told. I think maybe there is standing against that as there was a recent ruling that police cannot search your phone or force you to unlock it without a warrant. But that is criminal versus civil law.
Found a bunch of articles that say they cannot ask for passwords, but can ask for everything possibly relevant to the case, which could include photos from up to 2 years prior to the event. They may get awarded passwords if it looks like we are hiding things. We can ask for theirs if they ask for ours too.

Even if you were the scum of the earth (which I know 100% you aren't) they still can't commit a crime against you. I'd see if you can get a second input on this, something seems very off here.
The lawyer said that part of the case will be them trying to prove we were not effected by this, or at least as much as we claim. I still have more donated clothes than purchased clothing, we are living with inlaws, my emotional distress and subsequent withdrawal from all social life is pretty well documented, and I pride myself on never attacking a person even while challenging the beliefs. I would rather show people kindness, even if they don't give it themselves... I feel like social media only helps our case.

The lawyer said that part of the case will be them trying to prove we were not effected by this, or at least as much as we claim. I still have more donated clothes than purchased clothing, we are living with inlaws, my emotional distress and subsequent withdrawal from all social life is pretty well documented, and I pride myself on never attacking a person even while challenging the beliefs. I would rather show people kindness, even if they don't give it themselves... I feel like social media only helps our case.

I'm sorry they're putting you through all of this.

I'm sorry they're putting you through all of this.
We had to be willing to go through it to bring the lawsuit.

I would love to be paid for all our stuff that was destroyed and to make the landlord tell a group of his peers what he did to us, especially how when he told us he was not gonna pay for the hotel as promised, he offered us a broken tent and 2 sleeping bags he was planning on throwing in the trash, so we could sleep in a flooded field while it was -40 at night, with 2 little girls and while I was 8.5 months pregnant.

Then there is the contractor who did the work and tried to convince my husband that asbestos is not really a carcinogen, California is overreacting.

And the remediator who said he couldn't tell us what our risks were since he worked for the landlord, not us.

I would happily take more for emotional distress if we are awarded it. But I want these guys to bear the weight of what they have done too.

I am so sorry LOTF, what you have been through sounds like total bull****.

Well...where do I start. There is a sweet 8yr old miniature schnauzer I sit often. Her owners are moving and for reasons need to rehome her. She is so sweet and well mannered. Going into school I didn't plan on having a dog. Fiance really wanted one but I had said not until I get at least a semester under my belt and we get settled. If it was some dog I had never met I'd try rehoming it and wouldn't think twice about giving it a permanent home. However I know this dog on a very personal level. Super quiet, sweet, easy going. My apartment allows pets for no additional charge. She would be easy to have in an apartment. I still have to talk to fiance about this and consider some other things, but seriously considering giving this girl a forever home. Plus I have a soft spot for older dogs that need homes and haven't had any luck in finding her a new home.

Look at her! She's so cute.
12827.jpeg

Reactions: 9 users
Well...where do I start. There is a sweet 8yr old miniature schnauzer I sit often. Her owners are moving and for reasons need to rehome her. She is so sweet and well mannered. Going into school I didn't plan on having a dog. Fiance really wanted one but I had said not until I get at least a semester under my belt and we get settled. If it was some dog I had never met I'd try rehoming it and wouldn't think twice about giving it a permanent home. However I know this dog on a very personal level. Super quiet, sweet, easy going. My apartment allows pets for no additional charge. She would be easy to have in an apartment. I still have to talk to fiance about this and consider some other things, but seriously considering giving this girl a forever home. Plus I have a soft spot for older dogs that need homes and haven't had any luck in finding her a new home.

Look at her! She's so cute.View attachment 237181
If you know her well and think you can anticipate her needs in terms of time commitment, I'd say go for it. If she's older and doesn't require much exercise it will be a lot easier.

Look at her! She's so cute.View attachment 237181
I want to boop her nose.

They tried but they must have been tired with all the extra times they played on their way to the final

I'd love to go back to Croatia. It's a gorgeous country
I'm upset about it because 2 of France's goals were caused by Croatia :/ so, in a fair universe it would have been a tie and gone into extra time. But yeah, Croatia lost steam and seemed tired after the first half. I hear it's basically all 1 big beach over there :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile

They tried but they must have been tired with all the extra times they played on their way to the final

I'd love to go back to Croatia. It's a gorgeous country
I'm upset about it because 2 of France's goals were caused by Croatia :/ so, in a fair universe it would have been a tie and gone into extra time. But yeah, Croatia lost steam and seemed tired after the first half. I hear it's basically all 1 big beach over there :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using SDN mobile
Can confirm. Croatia is gorgeous. I was there a couple years ago, and my parents just got back from a 2 week boat trip along the coast!

I’m definitely getting better at gardening. Now if only it didn’t take me two months to get things planted and cleaned up.

Evidence of my weekend labors.

9D6C47A3-E2D7-4A64-B19B-2D1AC92A7871.jpeg FD6E9870-2AAC-4AE9-8F40-7F2155BCB179.jpeg

Do I have to go to work tomorrow?

Reactions: 8 users
In case anyone is interested, there’s a new Japanese anime about cells and it’s the cutest thing ever. It’s called Hataraku saibou (Cells at Work).

I’ve seen an episode now, and it’s really amusing. The protagonist is a RBC trying to find the lungs so she can deliver oxygen, and the antagonist is a pneumococcus.

In case anyone is interested, there’s a new Japanese anime about cells and it’s the cutest thing ever. It’s called Hataraku saibou (Cells at Work).

I’ve seen an episode now, and it’s really amusing. The protagonist is a RBC trying to find the lungs so she can deliver oxygen, and the antagonist is a pneumococcus.
This sounds like the anime version of Osmosis Jones :p

There’s one part where the Helper T cell is a newscaster calling out for the Killer T Cells. The Killer T Cells were released and the leader yells “Any ***** who lets [the pneumococcus] escape will be sent to the spleen!”