Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm surprised that I've been stalking these threads for like two years now and actually haven't ever heard of that one! So thank you for recommending it! I'm sitting down right now making a notebook of current events and past topics I needed to remind myself of. I really appreciate the suggestions <3

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For current events outside of vetmed I like TheSkimm. It’s similar to the avma smartbrief but regular news. Little snippets so you get an intro about everything without having to read a full paper. And they provide links if you want to read further. It’s put out by two former NBC editors iirc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for interview specifics now. Thanks for letting me know so I can look around :)

Just popping in to say that tool will only be useful for half of your interview for UTK. I'm not solid on all the details, but while they're keeping the conversational interview portion, they're also adding an MMI portion last I heard. Take that with a grain of salt because sometimes these things don't get implemented immediately, so it may be that they're not adding it in just yet. I just figured I'd give you a heads up in case they are.

I will also say they do tend to interview most of the TN residents that apply - usually around 87%. That being said, your interview and where you will fit into the class they are building as a whole is very important here. The interview is a third of your total score (if you haven't looked at the selection process breakdown, you should, though with the quick turnaround I feel like they may have made some alterations). I wouldn't dwell too much on the numbers though. Just go in there and be you and show them why you belong here :)

Last edited:
Just popping in to say that tool will only be useful for half of your interview for UTK. I'm not solid on all the details, but while they're keeping the conversational interview portion, they're also adding an MMI portion last I heard. Take that with a grain of salt because sometimes these things don't get implemented immediately, so it may be that they're not adding it in just yet. I just figured I'd give you a heads up in case they are.

I will also say they do tend to interview most of the TN residents that apply - usually around 87%. That being said, your interview and where you will fit into the class they are building as a whole is very important here. The interview is a third of your total score (if you haven't looked at the selection process breakdown, you should, though with the quick turnaround I feel like they may have made some alterations). I wouldn't dwell too much on the numbers though. Just go in there and be you and show them why you belong here :)

Whaaaaaat! Ok yeah definitely did not know that they could potentially incorporate MMI this year. Going to have to start practicing using that format. I've been following their admissions algorithms online since I started college but it's mostly just unsettling to look at nowadays

Thank you so much for keeping me and others reading this up to date with potential changes. I'm really hoping that my passion for vet med and UT will be enough to internally overshadow my nerves so that I can be myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whaaaaaat! Ok yeah definitely did not know that they could potentially incorporate MMI this year. Going to have to start practicing using that format. I've been following their admissions algorithms online since I started college but it's mostly just unsettling to look at nowadays

Thank you so much for keeping me and others reading this up to date with potential changes. I'm really hoping that my passion for vet med and UT will be enough to internally overshadow my nerves so that I can be myself.

Yeah I just know it was the plan, I don't know if it's actually happening. Wouldn't stress over it too much though. In any case the panel interview will still be part of it.

Are you interviewing in the 4th or the 5th? I will almost certainly be helping on the 5th but may be on a zoo trip on the 4th.

Yeah I just know it was the plan, I don't know if it's actually happening. Wouldn't stress over it too much though. In any case the panel interview will still be part of it.

Are you interviewing in the 4th or the 5th? I will almost certainly be helping on the 5th but may be on a zoo trip on the 4th.

I am interviewing on the 4th! Sad that you may not be there but totally worth it since the Knoxville zoo is fantastic! That actually brings up a question that I had never thought about..... do UT vet students ever do anything with the Knox zoo? Like internships or behind the scenes tours? I'm not interested in doing zoo med but for anyone out there who is and/or for general cool extra vet knowledge... that would be awesome :)

I am interviewing on the 4th! Sad that you may not be there but totally worth it since the Knoxville zoo is fantastic! That actually brings up a question that I had never thought about..... do UT vet students ever do anything with the Knox zoo? Like internships or behind the scenes tours? I'm not interested in doing zoo med but for anyone out there who is and/or for general cool extra vet knowledge... that would be awesome :)

It's actually the Chattanooga zoo that we'll be going to, not sure yet if I'll be going because it depends on the time. So kind of up in the air on whether or not I'll be helping with interviews that day at the moment.

Yup the zoo vets at UT provide all the medical care for the Knoxville zoo collection so we have a pretty strong relationship with them and if you take the zoo rotation 4th year that's mostly where you'll be working. There is always a zoo trip and behind the scenes tour as part of our summer research program, and there are lots of opportunities to get involved there. Actually because of that most of the trips that we do through the Avian, Wildlife, and Exotics club tend to be to other institutions - like the Chattanooga Zoo trip I mentioned. We've also visited the Nashville Zoo, the Tennessee Aquarium, the American Eagle Foundation, and there is an annual trip out to Tiger Haven. People have done summer or 4th year externships at a few of those places too.

When I was little I always loved looking at my Nana and Mom's composite photos from nursing school. Just got my composite photo back and realized I now have three generations of these photos. When I was little I always thought I would be a nurse, so that I could continue the tradition, but as I got older I never wanted to touch people, which is one of the reasons why I went into veterinary medicine. It's a little bittersweet as my Nana died this year, but exciting to think I finally have my three generations of photos. Looking forward to getting them all framed together and maybe gifting to my mom. I don't have the nursing cap on, but instead I have a white coat! Hope my daughter sees these and dreams big!

Reactions: 8 users
Did my first Olympic lifting competition today. Made 5 of my 6 lift attempts with the missed one a PR attempt. I'm relatively new to Olympic lifting as a sport as I'm predominantly a crossfitter but i had fun and it's definitely something I want to do more of.

IMG_1586.jpg

This came out of a goose at work today needless to say, he will be getting some droncit tomorrow
It’s also saved in formalin to show off to future generations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
@awesomenessity or @WildZoo
For Anki I seem to be having some trouble and can't find the exact answer I need online. I have some photos I edited in paint and have saved to my computer but can't get the pictures to add to a flash card. :help: Please if you know how.
Weird! I have photos saved to my desktop and it lets me just drag and drop a picture over!

@awesomenessity or @WildZoo
For Anki I seem to be having some trouble and can't find the exact answer I need online. I have some photos I edited in paint and have saved to my computer but can't get the pictures to add to a flash card. :help: Please if you know how.

Do you want them just to appear on the card or do you want them to have the image occlusion boxes? You should just be able to drag/drop them into a card, but you might want to check what file type they are saved as. I think Anki prefers PNG and JPGs. Otherwise you could try copying the file and pasting it into your flashcard!

Do you want them just to appear on the card or do you want them to have the image occlusion boxes? You should just be able to drag/drop them into a card, but you might want to check what file type they are saved as. I think Anki prefers PNG and JPGs. Otherwise you could try copying the file and pasting it into your flashcard!
I just want it on the card. Wierd it wont let me drag and drop or copy and paste. Thanks for the input guys! I'll try again tomorrow maybe I can find something to make it work.

I’m watching the new episode of Dr. Who. I want the new doctor to be awesome and I want this season to be amazing...but so far I’m just bored.

Really bored. Whyyyy. :confused:

I’m watching the new episode of Dr. Who. I want the new doctor to be awesome and I want this season to be amazing...but so far I’m just bored.

Really bored. Whyyyy. :confused:
:eek:Doctor! It’s a name, not a title :p

This reminds me I need to watch the new episode. That sounds better than studying tonight....

:eek:Doctor! It’s a name, not a title :p

This reminds me I need to watch the new episode. That sounds better than studying tonight....

Yeah yeah:rolleyes:...though for all we know, she’s probably both heh.

Go find a version without the ABSURD about of commercials BBCAmerica added in. I think that’s why thr pacing felt so terrible and drawn out...or at least a huge part of it.

Yeah yeah:rolleyes:...though for all we know, she’s probably both heh.

Go find a version without the ABSURD about of commercials BBCAmerica added in. I think that’s why thr pacing felt so terrible and drawn out...or at least a huge part of it.
This is why I only watch things when I can watch them without commercials.

Hubby is distracted arguing with someone on Twitter. So distracted that he almost agreed to me getting a new kitten... almost... :yeahright: :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like we’re starting a WW game right now
WWho Carved the Pumpkin?: a WW game in a world where Halloween is forbidden. Suddenly, overnight an innocent pumpkin was slaughtered and decorated. Is this the beginning of the end?

Reactions: 3 users
There was supposed to be a spooky Halloween WW this year but I just do not have time to run such things :(
My delusional thinking before school started: "I'll have time to set this game up!"
Me now: "that's funny"

Reactions: 2 users
Ooh can I join in as well?

Does anyone have photoshop skillz? I (unsurprisingly) was unable to find a photo of a grebe and a punkin BUT I WAS SO CLOSE!
IMG_1738.jpg

I also found one for Xmas time guys and I’m really excited