Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My Muck boots have become my "scorpion hunter" boots. I am laugh-crying

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have recommendations for things to do in Portland, ME?? The bf and I are doing a day trip next weekend. We're planning to hit a few breweries and try some food but would also be up for outdoor things. I've been there twice but it was like 8 years ago at this point, so I don't remember much other than the LL Bean store. Haha.
Lobster Rolls! We also did a ghost tour downtown that was both stupid and fun so recommend that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Place to get long sleeve coveralls from? Also insulated ones? All the ones I have found don't seem to have the zipper to get your arm out for palpation...
Don't know if you have them where you are, but I just got mine from Mark's Work Warehouse. Long-sleeved, but made so the sleeves are super each to roll back if needed. :)

Edit: Brand name is Dakota

Last edited:
Do you need to have long sleeve ones??
Also have you checked pellavet? My school does the bib kind but that’s where they get theirs from.
I don't persay NEED the long sleeve ones but I really like the kind my vet wears and theyre great for everything and all kinds of weather, but he doesn't remember where he got them. However, uddertech is pretty cool for anyone interested

Anyone have recommendations for things to do in Portland, ME?? The bf and I are doing a day trip next weekend. We're planning to hit a few breweries and try some food but would also be up for outdoor things. I've been there twice but it was like 8 years ago at this point, so I don't remember much other than the LL Bean store. Haha.

Born and raised Mainah here! Definitely good call on the breweries and restaurants, Portland has a lot of interesting places to eat. Downtown Portland near the Old Port has a little tiny place called Duck Fat... their french fries are fabulous!!

If you're looking for outdoorsy stuff, obviously there's some beaches within that area (Old Orchard is alright, but expect crowds) but there are some others that don't get quite as crowded.

The L.L. Bean store in Freeport has a Discover school, where you can sign up for day classes like paddleboarding, fly fishing, etc. You meet at the store (I believe) and then head to wherever you're going to do the activity. There are also several state parks within the surrounding area of Portland.

My Muck boots have become my "scorpion hunter" boots. I am laugh-crying

Once upon a time, I walked barefoot in my house, and felt safe. Now, I wear slippers, or socks at the least, and turn lights on as I go. Why? Because the first 7 years we have lived in this house, we had killed a total of 2 scorpions (one in my tub!! and the other in the laundry room, just a foot from the outside door. no biggie). In the last 3 months, we have killed 5. IN MY HOUSE!!!! aarrgghhh....I know that they won't kill me, but it hurts so bad to get stung! plus, not sure how dogs would react to sting, if it would make them sick or not. I would rather not find out!

Reactions: 3 users
Once upon a time, I walked barefoot in my house, and felt safe. Now, I wear slippers, or socks at the least, and turn lights on as I go. Why? Because the first 7 years we have lived in this house, we had killed a total of 2 scorpions (one in my tub!! and the other in the laundry room, just a foot from the outside door. no biggie). In the last 3 months, we have killed 5. IN MY HOUSE!!!! aarrgghhh....I know that they won't kill me, but it hurts so bad to get stung! plus, not sure how dogs would react to sting, if it would make them sick or not. I would rather not find out!

I had originally thought this was going to be a post about you now having a semi-grown child now who leaves legos strewn about the house. You don't want to be stepping on those suckers barefoot either!

Reactions: 3 users
no...children are all grown, and gone. grandchildren's toys are put up before they leave!! NO more Legofoot!! (but I do have a scar on the bottom of one foot, due to a stray lego cut many, many years ago)

Members don't see this ad :)
Gross! We have found four in a month, and one huge one was making his home right outside on the patio. So we sealed up his little hole with some of that expanding foam stuff, so he will be stuck in there until he dies. I actually tested out shining a blacklight on them and they glow super well! I thought the glow would be muted but it is not at all! They look like creepy glow sticks

Gross! We have found four in a month, and one huge one was making his home right outside on the patio. So we sealed up his little hole with some of that expanding foam stuff, so he will be stuck in there until he dies. I actually tested out shining a blacklight on them and they glow super well! I thought the glow would be muted but it is not at all! They look like creepy glow sticks
I used to do the blacklight thing all the time when I lived in AZ but it's because I liked finding scorpions

you realize that when someone 10 years from now unseals that hole, the scorpion will crawl out just fine. you really can't kill them. you freeze them, they thaw out, they are alive. you would think the AZ heat would kill them, nope, they thrive. seal them in a hole, nope, come out bigger. so far, the only thing we have found is a flip flop, attached to my 290lb hubby's foot.

Reactions: 2 users
you realize that when someone 10 years from now unseals that hole, the scorpion will crawl out just fine. you really can't kill them. you freeze them, they thaw out, they are alive. you would think the AZ heat would kill them, nope, they thrive. seal them in a hole, nope, come out bigger. so far, the only thing we have found is a flip flop, attached to my 290lb hubby's foot.
NOPE BYE

@SkiOtter I saw this really cute clip of an otter getting into a kayak, then trying to steal her shoes...but I can get it download on my phone so I could upload it here. it was on facebook...

When the equine vet you work for has to move from his truck that’s in the shop to his wife’s 2000 mustang convertible :p:laugh:

@WildZoo @vetmedhead @CoffeeQuestionMark @cdoconn @Animal Midwife bump! :coffee:

gateway.png

I got home today and went to see my hamster when I heard him doing a teeny little squeak every time he would take a step. I got worried thinking that he had an URI because our ZEW/ exotics team is out at the exotics symposium and I don’t know who would take care of him, when I realized that he wasn’t sick.

I give him a treat every time I see him, and I realized that I classically conditioned him that me = treats, and his little chunky butt was just craving some sunflower seeds. :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
I got home today and went to see my hamster when I heard him doing a teeny little squeak every time he would take a step. I got worried thinking that he had an URI because our ZEW/ exotics team is out at the exotics symposium and I don’t know who would take care of him, when I realized that he wasn’t sick.

I give him a treat every time I see him, and I realized that I classically conditioned him that me = treats, and his little chunky butt was just craving some sunflower seeds. :laugh:
Pavlov's protégé? ;)

I'm allowing myself to ask one final question regarding interviews. Lol. This is my first go around and I'm freaking out way more than I anticipated.

Do y'all think that a school would offer an interview to someone who was basically doomed to be rejected regardless of how the interview goes? I have an extremely low GPA but was offered an interview right off the bat at my dream school. I guess it doesn't matter if I have a chance or not because I'm still going to try to rock the interview, but I just don't see how even a good interview would make up for the GPA. I think I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself I guess?

Edit- and when I say low, I mean my overall is low 3's, science is below a 3.0 (cringe), and last 45 is like a 3.3.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm allowing myself to ask one final question regarding interviews. Lol. This is my first go around and I'm freaking out way more than I anticipated.

Do y'all think that a school would offer an interview to someone who was basically doomed to be rejected regardless of how the interview goes? I have an extremely low GPA but was offered an interview right off the bat at my dream school. I guess it doesn't matter if I have a chance or not because I'm still going to try to rock the interview, but I just don't see how even a good interview would make up for the GPA. I think I'm just trying to mentally prepare myself I guess?

Edit- and when I say low, I mean my overall is low 3's, science is below a 3.0 (cringe), and last 45 is like a 3.3.

This is what I've learned from my file reviews.

They wouldn't say that you're "doomed to be rejected no matter what," but . . . yeah. I know that during my first cycle I was one of the more unlikely applicants that was offered an interview. They always interview more people than they accept, right? They have a pretty good idea of who their strong candidates are and who the more unlikely ones are going into it. If one of the unlikely students interviews really freaking well (and I mean REALLY freaking well), and enough of the strong candidates totally bomb their interviews, then yes, that unlikely student might get an acceptance offer.

I think of it like this. If you're a really strong applicant going into the interview, then you just have to perform well enough to keep your standing. If you're not as strong academically, you need to blow their socks off on every question they give you, while at the same time someone else has to answer more poorly than they were expected to. It's not that there's no chance of getting in. It's just that it's less assured.

Not to be a downer, but yeah, living through the yay I got an interview! to the well, if they weren't going to accept me why did they even interview me and keep my hopes up? phases is no fun.

They wouldn't say that you're "doomed to be rejected no matter what," but . . . yeah. I know that during my first cycle I was one of the more unlikely applicants that was offered an interview. They always interview more people than they accept, right? They have a pretty good idea of who their strong candidates are and who the more unlikely ones are going into it. If one of the unlikely students interviews really freaking well (and I mean REALLY freaking well), and enough of the strong candidates totally bomb their interviews, then yes, that unlikely student might get an acceptance offer.

I think of it like this. If you're a really strong applicant going into the interview, then you just have to perform well enough to keep your standing. If you're not as strong academically, you need to blow their socks off on every question they give you, while at the same time someone else has to answer more poorly than they were expected to. It's not that there's no chance of getting in. It's just that it's less assured.

Not to be a downer, but yeah, living through the yay I got an interview! to the well, if they weren't going to accept me why did they even interview me and keep my hopes up? phases is no fun.

Yikes, that sounds really pessimistic.

It's not all doom and gloom, but I think it's important to keep perspective. You have an interview and that's AWESOME. It means the admissions committee could see you entering their program. BUT that's contingent upon a lot of things - how you interview, how others interview, what questions they decide to ask . . . Just take a deep breath, prepare as well as you can, practice, and remember that it's not all up to you. You can interview really well, but so can everyone else. Nothing is decided at this stage.

That's pretty much what I figured. I'm ecstatic that I at least made progress this cycle and am being given a chance to interview, but the initial thrill has definitely turned into "I'm going to get more attached to the idea of acceptance" and I'm trying to fight it real hard. And especially when it comes to family who are now freaking out thinking that I may get to come home. I almost wish I hadn't told them I had an interview

But I believe my interview is blind in terms of GPA, so maybe I have a shot at convincing them that I'm worthy. Haha

Yikes, that sounds really pessimistic.

It's not all doom and gloom, but I think it's important to keep perspective. You have an interview and that's AWESOME. It means the admissions committee could see you entering their program. BUT that's contingent upon a lot of things - how you interview, how others interview, what questions they decide to ask . . . Just take a deep breath, prepare as well as you can, practice, and remember that it's not all up to you. You can interview really well, but so can everyone else. Nothing is decided at this stage.

Sometimes I need to be shot with a dose of pessimism haha!

I'm going to stay realistic mentally but also going to give it the same effort that I would if I were a 4.0 candidate. I would love to be able to change the minds of an admissions team with an interview. Im up for the challenge!

Sometimes I need to be shot with a dose of pessimism haha!

I'm going to stay realistic mentally but also going to give it the same effort that I would if I were a 4.0 candidate. I would love to be able to change the minds of an admissions team with an interview. Im up for the challenge!

You definitely have a shot! Read up on current events, have answers ready for common questions, and practice. Listening to your favorite power balads the morning of helps, too. ;)

The year I got in, my school interviewed 120 people. I was ranked 118th going in. I was waitlisted, but I got a spot. It's not impossible, but you have to rock it. A lot of it hinges on things that are out of your control, but control what you can and good luck!

You definitely have a shot! Read up on current events, have answers ready for common questions, and practice. Listening to your favorite power balads the morning of helps, too. ;)

Been blasting 2009 KE$HA songs ever since I got the email. Lol.

Thank you!! :)

The year I got in, my school interviewed 120 people. I was ranked 118th going in. I was waitlisted, but I got a spot. It's not impossible, but you have to rock it. A lot of it hinges on things that are out of your control, but control what you can and good luck!

Look at you beating those odds!! I really needed to hear that. Thanks for sharing and congrats!! :)

Building off this suggestion, this usually shows up somewhere every year, but in case it hasn't been shared yet - I highly recommend signing up for the AVMA SmartBrief email newsletter. It's a great way to stay up to date on current issues affecting the veterinary field (like the outbreak of African Swine Fever in China/Europe right now!)

Reactions: 6 users
Building off this suggestion, this usually shows up somewhere every year, but in case it hasn't been shared yet - I highly recommend signing up for the AVMA SmartBrief email newsletter. It's a great way to stay up to date on current issues affecting the veterinary field (like the outbreak of African Swine Fever in China/Europe right now!)
And dont forget about classic swine fever in Japan. Or Newcastle disease in southern California. (Diseases everywhere!)

I'm surprised that I've been stalking these threads for like two years now and actually haven't ever heard of that one! So thank you for recommending it! I'm sitting down right now making a notebook of current events and past topics I needed to remind myself of. I really appreciate the suggestions <3

I'm surprised that I've been stalking these threads for like two years now and actually haven't ever heard of that one! So thank you for recommending it! I'm sitting down right now making a notebook of current events and past topics I needed to remind myself of. I really appreciate the suggestions <3

I’m not sure what school you got an interview to, but there is a tool on sdn for you to get more info on the interview process for specific schools. I’d definitely check that out and prepare for the type of interview they give. I’m assuming other responders know what school you are talking about and that is why they gave the advice they did.

I’m not sure what school you got an interview to, but there is a tool on sdn for you to get more info on the interview process for specific schools. I’d definitely check that out and prepare for the type of interview they give. I’m assuming other responders know what school you are talking about and that is why they gave the advice they did.

Looking for interview specifics now. Thanks for letting me know so I can look around :)

Last edited: