Rank List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radsbroo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know its the time to start getting ranklists organized and was looking for a second opinion. I'm pretty flexible to location, but my end goal is to work in academics. Heres my top 8 programs I'm considering. Haven't quite figured it out yet.

U Michigan
Emory
Mayo
Jefferson
U Chicago
Baylor
UT Houston
Oregon Health and Science University

Any help or thoughts is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like you have them pretty much in order there if you are thinking academics.

Looks pretty good. Only you can decide the exact order, but your top 3 are the most suited for a career in academics. However, all are respectable academic programs that can lead to good fellowship and academic career. Some people would rather go to a lesser program in a nice, warm city than freeze their butt off in Rochester for 4 years, but to each their own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any other thoughts? Specifically on Michigan/Chicago/Jefferson.

Was not too much of a fan of Emory tbh

Why are you asking us to rank 8 programs for you if you didn't like one of those 8

If your main goal is academics, Michigan is the strongest academic reputation of those three. I personally would factor location though and put Chicago and Jefferson over Michigan. They're both plenty strong to get you into an academic career and aren't located in a college town

Last edited by a moderator:
You listed Oregon Health and Science University last, but if you're interested in IR and inventing new catheters/tools, they have the Dotter Interventional Institute (http://www.ohsu.edu/dotter/). It's also the only West Coast school you've listed, which puts it into the competitive category by virtue of being coastal. Plus, Portland can be a fun place for a young person to live, if you can deal with the weirdness (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keep_Portland_Weird)

Reactions: 1 user
Why are you asking us to rank 8 programs for you if you didn't like one of those 8

If your main goal is academics, Michigan is the strongest academic reputation of those three. I personally would factor location though and put Chicago and Jefferson over Michigan. They're both plenty strong to get you into an academic career and aren't located in a college town

You've obviously never lived in Ann Arbor.

If your goal is to be in academics, you should still keep region in mind. Connections are important to getting hired.

Random example (I'll choose Mayo since I know least about them):

If you go to Mayo and stay at Mayo for fellowship, assuming you're somewhat normal and maintain an interest in academics, you will most likely have priority at Mayo.

You will also have priority at other institutions whose faculty know Mayo faculty well. This is likely to be in that region. For instance, I don't know anyone on faculty at my institution who works closely with anyone at Mayo. That doesn't speak badly about either institution, that's just the way it is.

An exception is that if you publish more than a little with someone who's truly expert in a particular field, then you'll have a wider area of pull. These kinds of mentors are not common.

If you were to go to Mayo and then go elsewhere for fellowship, you've widened your connection pool.

I know Michigan, Jefferson and Emory are good places to train, but they have different cultures, so it comes down to fit. They actually vary widely by department, but as an average they come about to about the same for your resident experience. Your fit is more important than small differences between them, IMO. I know less about the others on your list, except that I once worked with a recent ex-resident from Baylor who was very down on the program (for whatever that's worth).

Last edited:
You've obviously never lived in Ann Arbor.

Are you trying to say that Ann Arbor is not a college town?

If you are married with kids, or in grad school/undergrad, it's an awesome place. But a town that small is not for everyone to live out their late 20s early 30s

Anyone want to weigh in these two options? BU vs Mt Auburn in Boston. They're probably like 3-4 on my list but just trying to make sense of which is better. I'd like to do IR and both will have ESIR.