Rank upon entering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morethanafeeling

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sent from my XT1094 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It depends on your length of residency and how many years you subsequently practice as an attending physician before you join. If you have 5 years or more time as a physician (residency plus attending) then you will likely join as an O-4. If less, then you will commission as an O-3, but with some time credit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'm finishing up a family medicine residency. I had a friend no prior service, 10 years Critical Care nursing experience who just finished his CRNA program and commissioned as Major. Just thought I would ask you all how it worked for brand new physcians. Thanks again!

That's because your friend is a nurse. The Army likes to promote nurses as fast as possible. He might be a Lt. General next year, as long as he can come up with a halfway decent acronym or explain why people should bathe regularly.

Reactions: 1 users
That's because your friend is a nurse. The Army likes to promote nurses as fast as possible. He might be a Lt. General next year, as long as he can come up with a halfway decent acronym or explain why people should bathe regularly.

Don't forget the part about telling them to sleep, exercise and eat healthy.

That right there will get you promoted to surgeon general.

Reactions: 1 users
If I'm a nurse, I would be lifer in the Army while screaming Hooah at every turn. It's the one healthcare profession in the military in which your military pay is 20-30% higher relative to the private sector.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm considering joining the military after residency. Just wondering what rank would one be if you join as a fully licensed physcian? O-3? O-4?

The formula, as I understand it:
You get O-3, with 0 years towards promotion, for being a doctor
You hit O-4 when you have 5 years towards promotion.
You get 1 year of credit towards promotion if you have another relevant degree, like an MBA or an MPH, in addition to you MD (this doesn't happen automatically BTW, you need to work with your recruiter to get the credit before you sign)
You get one year of credit towards promotion for each year of residency or fellowship you've done
You get 1/2 year of credit towards promotion for each year of civilian practice after residency

Thanks! I'm finishing up a family medicine residency. I had a friend no prior service, 10 years Critical Care nursing experience who just finished his CRNA program and commissioned as Major. Just thought I would ask you all how it worked for brand new physcians. Thanks again!

Has anyone else seen this happen? If so it is a huge problem with the CRNA direction Accessions system, because it would mean they're counting time as an RN as time towards promotion for a CRNA.

Has anyone else seen this happen? If so it is a huge problem with the CRNA direction Accessions system, because it would mean they're counting time as an RN as time towards promotion for a CRNA.

Both CRNA and RN are in nurse corps in USN so it sounds entirely plausible they'd count applicable "nurse corps" time towards promotion. Oh well . . .

The formula, as I understand it:
You get O-3, with 0 years towards promotion, for being a doctor
You hit O-4 when you have 5 years towards promotion.
You get 1 year of credit towards promotion if you have another relevant degree, like an MBA or an MPH, in addition to you MD (this doesn't happen automatically BTW, you need to work with your recruiter to get the credit before you sign)
You get one year of credit towards promotion for each year of residency or fellowship you've done
You get 1/2 year of credit towards promotion for each year of civilian practice after residency

Not all services still give credit for other degrees. The Navy won't give credit for multiple degrees like that any longer.

Not all services still give credit for other degrees. The Navy won't give credit for multiple degrees like that any longer.

They currently do, but they had to be earned consecutively and not concurrently. You couldn't get your MD/MPH at the same time and have it count, but if you had the MPH then the MD you get 2 years of credit (as recently as last year)

Don't forget the part about telling them to sleep, exercise and eat healthy.

That right there will get you promoted to surgeon general.
No, I didn't forget. That was life changing information. I just thought it's already been done. You gotta go out of the box. Bathing.

They currently do, but they had to be earned consecutively and not concurrently. You couldn't get your MD/MPH at the same time and have it count, but if you had the MPH then the MD you get 2 years of credit (as recently as last year)

Interesting because also as recently as last year every Navy graduate from USUHS was denied any constructive credit for any other degrees such as MS or MPH.

That is odd. I thought those regs were DoD-wide? I remember even reading those regs and they did apply to the Navy. Maybe the USUHS grads had to submit paperwork after graduation?

That is odd. I thought those regs were DoD-wide? I remember even reading those regs and they did apply to the Navy. Maybe the USUHS grads had to submit paperwork after graduation?

From what I have seen in this forum they appear to be variably applied based on who is "in charge" at the time. The fall back position I've seen quoted is the degree has to be in something that is used on a daily/whatever basis. That determination seems to change based on the way the wind blows.

If one doesn't agree they could consider filing a Board of Corrections for Naval Records (obviously for Navy); however the person who made the original determination is one who files a major opinion for the BCNR.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

From what I have seen in this forum they appear to be variably applied based on who is "in charge" at the time. The fall back position I've seen quoted is the degree has to be in something that is used on a daily/whatever basis. That determination seems to change based on the way the wind blows.

If one doesn't agree they could consider filing a Board of Corrections for Naval Records (obviously for Navy); however the person who made the original determination is one who files a major opinion for the BCNR.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
It's entirely based upon timing and luck. I had an MS that was certainly applicable, and I got no credit if any kind. It was a total coin toss then, don't see what it would be different now.