This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlyTheW

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If these were your top two choices, how would you rank these programs?

Program A:
  • At home institution
  • 3-4 hours from home (being semi-close is somewhat important to you)
  • Already know you love the faculty and know they are good teachers
  • At mid-tier institution that's not as well known nationally (possible fellowship implications should you want to do one?)
  • Smaller college town with not quite as much to do (but cheaper, easy to get around, and you do like it there)
  • Well rounded training, not "amazing" in one area though still have opportunities to explore areas you are interested in
  • Free lunch every day
  • Call schedule isn’t horrible but could be better
Program B:
  • 6 hours from home
  • Brand new program (only two classes above you) so no true way to know about board pass rate or procedure numbers because no one has gotten that far yet - one of your biggest concerns about the program
  • At nationally known institution with lots of resources and excellent intern year education
  • Really liked the faculty when you met them on interview day and they trained at great residencies/fellowships
  • Larger town with more to do (but more expensive $$)
  • Probably more research opportunities in area you're interested in
  • No free food :(
  • Slightly easier call schedule with no call as a senior resident
Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

This is incredibly specialty and program specific. You can not compare anonymously two programs like this and get a meaningful response because there are just too many variables that you are dumbing down, are unable to evaluate, are subject to change or are incredibly individual specific.

A few things.

#1 Residency training is about becoming a fully functional physician. You have a limited time to do this. You need two things, available pathology and mentors that will teach you how to manage that pathology. There are some truly atrocious call schedules out there. I have suffered under some of them for short periods. However, no senior call is a pretty sketchy depending on what specialty you are going into (if not all of them). You need to see pathology and you need to manage patients with increasing levels of autonomy. You can not effectively learn to be a physician with someone always watching over you at every step.

#2 New programs change. From didactics to call systems to rotations, things get ironed out and it takes 5-6 iterations before things settle. Change is the mark of a good new program, because it is listening to people. Of course, it could be listening to the wrong people, but in general, if you are going to end up at a new program, you want to end up at one that will take the feedback of their residents seriously.

#3 There is no "probably more research opportunities". As someone committing 3-7 years of your life and the foundation of your future skillset on, you damn well should know what is being offered and what you can potentially get out of each training program.

#4 You must be able to survive the training. There is no point in starting at a residency that you will not prosper in. Unhappy people do not train as well. This means support structure. This means family being close (or close enough).

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! I recognize that by trying to keep it more anonymous it makes it more difficult to give advice. My thinking was that by keeping it non-specific to a single specialty, I'd be more likely to get more responses. However, that may make the advice less meaningful therefore defeating the whole purpose.

I really appreciate the points you laid out and will definitely take them into consideration!

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal choice would be Program A. You're familiar with the faculty and program and know you'll be happy in the area. It's an established program, and even if it's mid-tier, you know what you're getting into. I'd just rather stick with something that I know what to expect out of than take a gamble with a new program (so long as the established program is up to snuff, obviously).

I would rank A higher than B

How important is research to you? Do you have academic goals that would require more extensive research experience? If that's your goal, you may want to consider if Program B would give you a leg up in that area since you said it "probably" has more.

No matter how well-reputed the "mother ship" is in other specialties, I would be very reluctant to go to a newly-established residency program. Fellowship PDs and employers base their first impressions of candidates on their prior experiences with other graduates of those candidates' same residency programs. If you're from a residency program doesn't have any prior graduates, I could see them being wary.

No matter how well-reputed the "mother ship" is in other specialties, I would be very reluctant to go to a newly-established residency program. Fellowship PDs and employers base their first impressions of candidates on their prior experiences with other graduates of those candidates' same residency programs. If you're from a residency program doesn't have any prior graduates, I could see them being wary.
Levo makes a good point. That said, if the faculty come from solid places with fellowships you are interested in, their connections could help you there still. Good luck with your decision!