ranking IR programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dioxane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody!

i'm about to wrap up this interview season and need advice on ranking IR programs. with the virtual nature of everything this year, it's been tough to get a true feel for each place, and the clinical quality of many programs seems comparable. i'd appreciate any insights you have on culture and training, particularly for my top choices. my current list is as stands:

1. UCSF
2. MGH
3. Cornell
4. Penn
5. Northwestern
6. University of Washington
7. UCSD
8. Duke
9. Yale
10. Mt. Sinai
11. MD Anderson
12. Emory
13. Beth Israel
14. WUSTL
15. Cleveland Clinic

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, congrats on that list! You cleaned up. Mind sharing rough-ish stats?
thanks! everything felt very uncertain but i'm grateful for how things turned out. 260+ step 1, 270+ step 2, ~ 5 publications, ~ 10 abstracts/oral presentations, and 2 significant volunteer experiences throughout med school

Members don't see this ad :)
Rank base on where you would like to end up living. Can’t go wrong with most of the places on your list.

MHG is solid/elite in DR, IR is average. Probably name helps a lot after training (jobs, etc.).
Mt. Sinai is the best IR program in NY and one of the best in the nation probably.
MD Anderson is a solid IR program, most people think is only oncology. Granted they are very solid in oncology but the rotations is the other hospitals give exposure to trauma, PAD/vascular, neuro and peds.
Yale has a good well rounded program. You're going to be prepare to do anything after training in Yale.
UCSF don't know a lot, but heard is a solid program for both IR and DR.
Northwestern is also a very good, well rounded IR program. Hospital is beautiful and located downtown. IR floor is not underground lol.

Having that said. I think any of the programs you have are excellent and you will get very good training. Rank based on where do you see yourself working/living for 5-6 years and do you fit with the program culture.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
MHG is solid/elite in DR, IR is average. Probably name helps a lot after training (jobs, etc.).
Mt. Sinai is the best IR program in NY and one of the best in the nation probably.
MD Anderson is a solid IR program, most people think is only oncology. Granted they are very solid in oncology but the rotations is the other hospitals give exposure to trauma, PAD/vascular, neuro and peds.
Yale has a good well rounded program. You're going to be prepare to do anything after training in Yale.
UCSF don't know a lot, but heard is a solid program for both IR and DR.
Northwestern is also a very good, well rounded IR program. Hospital is beautiful and located downtown. IR floor is not underground lol.

Having that said. I think any of the programs you have are excellent and you will get very good training. Rank based on where do you see yourself working/living for 5-6 years and do you fit with the program culture.

I wish you the best of luck!!

Are there any programs that immediately come to mind that are known to have a good reputation in the vascular training side of IR

Are there any programs that immediately come to mind that are known to have a good reputation in the vascular training side of IR
Miami vascular, MCW, Rush, Illinois Peoria, Michigan, UVA, Colorado

Reactions: 1 user
Check some of those programs. Some of them have lost a good amount of their PAD work.

Are there any "hard no" programs for IR? I'm applying DR right now and just had a good IR rotation so I'm thinking about maybe trying ESIR. Have a week to finalize the rank list.

Are there any "hard no" programs for IR? I'm applying DR right now and just had a good IR rotation so I'm thinking about maybe trying ESIR. Have a week to finalize the rank list.

Most may not train you well in PAD, many may not train you well in fistula work. Some have stuff others don’t like neurointerventions or PAE.

but I think all programs will make you a competent IR doing the usual IR things one expect to do in a hopsital setting