Ranking of all Carribean Medical schools, and according to Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cvpmvp33

hello everyone, I dont have a lot of knowledge as to what are good carribean schools and what their acceptance trend is , so I was hoping some of you can give some info and rank the good carribean schools.

Schools such as : St. George, Ross, Saba, America University Antigua, University of Sint Eustasius Medical School, American University of the Caribbean , Medical University of the Americas

can you also rank them as to competitiveness of getting acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

SGU
AUC
ROSS
SABA

The rest are questionable (to me). These seem to be good carrib schools.

SGU - everyone knows about, but in my opinion is NOT THE BEST and definitely NOT THE # 1! It is unreasonably overpriced, has bad island conditions, huge size of the class, administration treating students like dirt, etc., etc., etc.

ROSS - Also island/living conditions, unreasonably expansive.

AUC - Is OK, but again expansive island and school is also expansive.

SABA - in my opinion is the most reasonably priced for Caribbean, excellent education level, very safe island.

I was accepted in all 4 of them, but choose SABA because of the reasons above plus a lot more.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
hello everyone, I dont have a lot of knowledge as to what are good carribean schools and what their acceptance trend is , so I was hoping some of you can give some info and rank the good carribean schools.

Schools such as : St. George, Ross, Saba, America University Antigua, University of Sint Eustasius Medical School, American University of the Caribbean , Medical University of the Americas

can you also rank them as to competitiveness of getting acceptance.

you need to be careful in asking about "ranking" of caribbean schools. It will open up a can of worms. Students love to give their opinions that their schools are better then others when in reality, their opinions are very subjective ("my friend told me....."i heard.....", etc). We get picked on enough already by our US counterparts that we are "caribbean students". It is even more distressing when we go after each other on this forum.

The "big four" schools are Ross, AUC, Saba, and SGU. They typically graduate students who have no trouble in obtaining residencies in the US. Now, there are other caribbean schools that also have graduates practicing in the US. The important thing to do is RESEARCH!!! Find out which school's graduates can practice in all 50 states (or the state you wish to end up in). Find out which schools have clinical rotations in the states. Find out which schools will let you sit for the USMLEs. Go to google and search!! I can't stress that enough. If you have to, call up each school and ask lots of questions. The school administrators will be much more knowledgeable in terms of admission criteria, MCAT scores and grades needed for admission than students on this forum.

There is no need for insults, to everyone

there are a handful of decent schools besides the Big 4 then there are the Diploma mills.

Yes you can list for approvals there is only one approval that has to do with Licensure and that is the state of California the Big 4 have this:

AUC, SABA, SGU and ROSS

The rest of any of the Decent ones do not have California mostly because they are less then 10 years old and are working on it: SMU, MUA Nevis, SJSM, AUA, Xavier Aruba (only Aruba the other Xaviers do not have Who listing), and a few others.

SGU is by far the hardest to get in but still behind the US DO schools. You will need a 25 mcat and 3.2 at least to be competitive for SGU. the others thats good enough for the average and you should get approved but it is first come first serve.

Yes there are some who post crap all the time about this school and that school the truth is Residency will be harder from all the Caribbean schools I do not know why some wish to make up stuff and post the the Big 4 all get residencies that is not the truth, some do have a hard time but I do think the Big 4 residency rates are more like 60 to 70% where all FMGs are 53%

Canadian Grads in the USA was only 60% last year and US grads was 93%

To do the best you should try to get into a US school
if not then the Big 4
then these others but please do your research. all these schools have a good things and bad things.

Good Luck:luck:

There is no need for insults, to everyone

there are a handful of decent schools besides the Big 4 then there are the Diploma mills.

Yes you can list for approvals there is only one approval that has to do with Licensure and that is the state of California the Big 4 have this:

AUC, SABA, SGU and ROSS

The rest of any of the Decent ones do not have California mostly because they are less then 10 years old and are working on it: SMU, MUA Nevis, SJSM, AUA, Xavier Aruba (only Aruba the other Xaviers do not have Who listing), and a few others.

SGU is by far the hardest to get in but still behind the US DO schools. You will need a 25 mcat and 3.2 at least to be competitive for SGU. the others thats good enough for the average and you should get approved but it is first come first serve.

Yes there are some who post crap all the time about this school and that school the truth is Residency will be harder from all the Caribbean schools I do not know why some wish to make up stuff and post the the Big 4 all get residencies that is not the truth, some do have a hard time but I do think the Big 4 residency rates are more like 60 to 70% where all FMGs are 53%

Canadian Grads in the USA was only 60% last year and US grads was 93%

To do the best you should try to get into a US school
if not then the Big 4
then these others but please do your research. all these schools have a good things and bad things.

Good Luck:luck:

SMU IS THE ONE,,,,,WHY GO TO THOSE DESERTED ISLANDS IF CALIF IS NO ISSUE THEN SMU WILL GET YOU THERE FAST AND SAFE,,NO NEED TO LOOK ANY FURTHER ONLY IF YOU LIKE NAME DROPPING FOR ME ROSS DID NOT IMPRESS ME ONE BIT,,THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY FASTT AND DUMP YOU FASTER IF YOU DON T FIT INTO THEIR SCHEME OF THINGS,,WHY GO THERE WITH SO MUCH STRESS WITH FAILURES ALL AROUND YOU? SMU IS THE WAY FOR ME ,,,,

Medical University of the Americas
...whats the deal with that one?

There is no question that I would only apply to Ross, AUC, SGU or Saba. If I could not get accepted to any of those four (or their 1-semester med-prep programs) then I should not be a doctor.

This is not intended to place judgment on the other schools or on people attending them but this is my personal judgment as it pertains to my abilities and goals.

SMU IS THE ONE,,,,,WHY GO TO THOSE DESERTED ISLANDS IF CALIF IS NO ISSUE THEN SMU WILL GET YOU THERE FAST AND SAFE,,NO NEED TO LOOK ANY FURTHER... SMU IS THE WAY FOR ME ,,,,

But that IF CALIF IS NO ISSUE might be a big "if." I'm glad you're happy there, but others might want to read the California Medical Board survey report on SMU, which you can find on the web. :(

Nick