Rant about it here .....Daily Rants.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I work at a dental school and have been getting lots of encouraging words from faculty, staff, and current students, but I am extremely worried that I will end up rejected. I feel like I would be letting down these people who believe in me and be majorly embarrassed since most people around the school now know I am pursuing admission. I honestly tried to keep the fact that I applied under wraps because I was scared I wouldn't get in the first time, but word spread fast.

I'm a little socially awkward, and I worry that that works against me quite a bit, but I try to counter it with being as nice and helpful as I can be. I'm freaking out a little each day waiting for December 3rd, and my stomach is in knots always. I feel like I am constantly under a microscope when I am at work, and I over-analyze every conversation and action while I am here. I'm always on my toes, and it's getting exhausting :(

Members don't see this ad.

I work at a dental school and have been getting lots of encouraging words from faculty, staff, and current students, but I am extremely worried that I will end up rejected. I feel like I would be letting down these people who believe in me and be majorly embarrassed since most people around the school now know I am pursuing admission. I honestly tried to keep the fact that I applied under wraps because I was scared I wouldn't get in the first time, but word spread fast.

I'm a little socially awkward, and I worry that that works against me quite a bit, but I try to counter it with being as nice and helpful as I can be. I'm freaking out a little each day waiting for December 3rd, and my stomach is in knots always. I feel like I am constantly under a microscope when I am at work, and I over-analyze every conversation and action while I am here. I'm always on my toes, and it's getting exhausting :(

I know how you feel, I have 3 dental offices that I've been a part of for years and they're all aware of me applying. Not to mention the number of patients I've interacted with that are all rooting for me.

Really puts the pressure to 11...

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody else have 0 motivation? I'm sitting on 6 interviews (no clue how I got this many) and can't even rally up motivation to make it to my classes (I only have 2 per day). I have 3 tests tomorrow and have studied a combined 3 hours for them. Anybody else in my shoes? I always followed the philosophy of "you go to college to get a job, not a GPA", and I'm definitely living up to that right now lol.

I feel this post so hard. It's like if all goes well, this semesters GPA doesn't really matter as long as you don't tank all of your grades. December 3rd can't come soon enough

Members don't see this ad :)

Listen I know it’s rough... but you gotta take a breather.

I often try to contemplate the universe, to gain a wider perspective and realize how wasteful ( of life, energy and time) it is to over think and over scrutinize situations.

I think about the millions and billions of planets and starts...

I think about the fact that in a thousand years our descendants will be looking into the night sky trying to find our solar system, our home...

So this, all of this, it really doesn’t matter, nothing really matters that much in the end... JUST do your best to enjoy the movements that you have here on this planet, enjoy the sun, the rain, the wind... enjoy the fact that you are part of an incredible species of shaved apes lol

Enjoy the little things, do your best to be in the present because life is short and it will fly by before you know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Listen I know it’s rough... but you gotta take a breather.

I often try to contemplate the universe, to gain a wider perspective and realize how wasteful ( of life, energy and time) it is to over think and over scrutinize situations.

I think about the millions and billions of planets and starts...

I think about the fact that in a thousand years our descendants will be looking into the night sky trying to find our solar system, our home...

So this, all of this, it really doesn’t matter, nothing really matters that much in the end... JUST do your best to enjoy the movements that you have here on this planet, enjoy the sun, the rain, the wind... enjoy the fact that you are part of an incredible species of shaved apes lol

Enjoy the little things, do your best to be in the present because life is short and it will fly by before you know it

It's important to take a step back from your situation and remember the important things. Read a book, take a hike, or go on a video game binge or whatever makes you relax a bit. We've all worked really hard to be where we are so don't kill yourself overthinking about it because your mental health is important. I also want to fix teeth and yell at people who don't floss enough but don't forget how far you've come in this process. Enjoy the ride man

I feel this post so hard. It's like if all goes well, this semesters GPA doesn't really matter as long as you don't tank all of your grades. December 3rd can't come soon enough
If my motivation right now is low, I can't imagine what it'll be if I nab a few acceptances on Dec 3rd.

Reactions: 3 users
If my motivation right now is low, I can't imagine what it'll be if I nab a few acceptances on Dec 3rd.

Once I'm accepted, then I can let loose and have senioritis take over. But until then, I'm still trying to stay focused and keep my grades up. I am taking some chill classes so this semester has definitely been less academically stressful compared to the past.

Reactions: 1 users
Registration for classes was today. I registered for 6 total classes (5 history and 1 bio). One of the history classes is online, and the other I'm gonna take at a local CC. I just registered for it just in case I can't register for it at the CC.

I'm excited and nervous about the bio class. Its endocrinology. My GPA is low (need a post-bacc and SMP) so I have to do my best. I hope I can get a good grade.

Registration for classes was today. I registered for 6 total classes (5 history and 1 bio). One of the history classes is online, and the other I'm gonna take at a local CC. I just registered for it just in case I can't register for it at the CC.

I'm excited and nervous about the bio class. Its endocrinology. My GPA is low (need a post-bacc and SMP) so I have to do my best. I hope I can get a good grade.
Rooting for you!:). I love the endocrine system bc everything makes sense lol

Rooting for you!:). I love the endocrine system bc everything makes sense lol

Thanks haha. The professor is cool and good, I took a class with him before. We touched briefly on the endocrine system before and I liked it too since its straightforward and makes sense. have you ever taken endocrinology?

Thanks haha. The professor is cool and good, I took a class with him before. We touched briefly on the endocrine system before and I liked it too since its straightforward and makes sense. have you ever taken endocrinology?
Nope, but we covered it in anatomy and physiology as well as histo. I thought I would hate it at first when I saw all of those hormones but even their names make sense so memorizing was easy. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great

Members don't see this ad :)
My roommate just received her acceptance email from a medical school. I was jumping up and down as if I was accepted. So happy for her! Meanwhile, the dental school waiting game is killing me. Dec 3rd can't come soon enough.

Reactions: 3 users
my academic advisor this semester is so darn incompetent(communications background). She does the exact opposite of her job title. Very passive aggressive tone in her emails, and hardly responds in a timely manner. I am trying to enroll in Histo class for next semester that requires physiology and cell bio, both of which I have taken. The issue arises due to the system failing to recognize that MBIO 3113=BIOL 3113. I talked to the instructor/professor of the class(who happened to be my old academic advisor) and was told to talk to the advisor to get the situation to be fixed. The advisor responds in a way seeming as though she did not even bother to read my email explaining the situation. If you don't want to be helpful/advise, then why TF did you become an advisor in the first place??? seriously, if you don't like your job, then f@@@##! quit already.

funny enough. I emailed an advisor from the chem department because I needed to switch to a different upper div chem class due a time conflict with another class. But the other class that fit in my schedule was already full at this point. The said chem advisor responds within minutes telling me he expanded the class limit for me to join. This is the epitome of a great advisor. Not only am I not a chem major, I am not even his advisee and he was infinitely more helpful than my own personal advisor for the bio department. SAD!

my academic advisor this semester is so darn incompetent(communications background). She does the exact opposite of her job title. Very passive aggressive tone in her emails, and hardly responds in a timely manner. I am trying to enroll in Histo class for next semester that requires physiology and cell bio, both of which I have taken. The issue arises due to the system failing to recognize that MBIO 3113=BIOL 3113. I talked to the instructor/professor of the class(who happened to be my old academic advisor) and was told to talk to the advisor to get the situation to be fixed. The advisor responds in a way seeming as though she did not even bother to read my email explaining the situation. If you don't want to be helpful/advise, then why TF did you become an advisor in the first place??? seriously, if you don't like your job, then f@@@##! quit already.

funny enough. I emailed an advisor from the chem department because I needed to switch to a different upper div chem class due a time conflict with another class. But the other class that fit in my schedule was already full at this point. The said chem advisor responds within minutes telling me he expanded the class limit for me to join. This is the epitome of a great advisor. Not only am I not a chem major, I am not even his advisee and he was infinitely more helpful than my own personal advisor for the bio department. SAD!
It's great that you were able to get the help you needed (one way or another).

I have to go to my school to declare I am a pre-dental student! Even though I have already applied to 25 dental schools and have graduated a year ago :roflcopter:

Why?

Because I can't register for an
anatomy course without declaring that I am a pre-dental student!

:bang:

I never realized what an epidemic this was...

Alright guys, every time I tell someone I want to be a dentist and am applying etc they immediately say, "you should go to Pacific or UCSF. My dentist went there and those are some of the best schools in CA." As if them telling me that was a huge eye-opener that those schools existed. I'm sick and tired of people telling me that "their dentist went to ___ school and they're great so that's where you should go."
Do they realize that we all don't get to just choose and enroll at any school? It's frustrating that people don't understand that it's not an easy process and just because they haven't heard of a school I interviewed at doesn't make it sub-par. Back in their day there were only like 20 schools. lol end rant. :)

Alright guys, every time I tell someone I want to be a dentist and am applying etc they immediately say, "you should go to Pacific or UCSF. My dentist went there and those are some of the best schools in CA." As if them telling me that was a huge eye-opener that those schools existed. I'm sick and tired of people telling me that "their dentist went to ___ school and they're great so that's where you should go."
Do they realize that we all don't get to just choose and enroll at any school? It's frustrating that people don't understand that it's not an easy process and just because they haven't heard of a school I interviewed at doesn't make it sub-par. Back in their day there were only like 20 schools. lol end rant. :)

I hear you! I mean my mom and dad thought the minute I took the DAT, I was guaranteed a spot lol!

I’m sick of checking this website for no particular reason and reading posts that I could care less about. Why do I do this? I can’t wait until December 3rd when I log off SDN for life

Reactions: 16 users
I’m sick of checking this website for no particular reason and reading posts that I could care less about. Why do I do this? I can’t wait until December 3rd when I log off SDN for life

lol then you come back if you're applying for specialty programs

I got a parking ticket today. My first parking ticket. A green ticket. I am pretty pissed. I parked and paid the money for the parking spot. I don't get this system really: if they say pay to park and there is a pay to park station, and then 10 feet away there is a no parking sign, where the heck should we park then? This is so confusing.

I didn't park next to the no parking sign. I parked like 10 feet away.

I can't wait to live in a city where I don't have to drive anymore. Driving is crazy enough, nobody follows the rules, and they have no patience at all.

Now I have to pay
40 dollars :grumpy:

I got a parking ticket today. My first parking ticket. A green ticket. I am pretty pissed. I parked and paid the money for the parking spot. I don't get this system really: if they say pay to park and there is a pay to park station, and then 10 feet away there is a no parking sign, where the heck should we park then? This is so confusing.

I can't wait to live in a city where I don't have to drive anymore. Driving is crazy enough, nobody follows the rules, and they have no patience at all.

Now I have to pay

Your posts just aren't the same if they're not purple :(. Sorry about the ticket!

Rant: It doesn't look like I'll be able to get into the specific sections of classes I need to graduate during the summer. I'll still be graduating a semester early (December 2019) but I was really looking forward to taking the whole year off.

My bf told me a story about this neighbor his family lived next to in rural China way back when. The neighbor was a bit mentally challenged yet he still found a girl that he did the "deed" with and she gave birth to their son. Their son turned out to also be mentally challenged but severely mentally challenged. The girl left him after having the son. The other neighborhood kids would make fun of him but he had his parents and son.

The neighbor lived with his parents and his son for a while before his parents died. The neighbor and the son would walk around hand in hand everyday to the market back home etc. My bf found out yesterday that the son died and now the neighbor is all by himself.....alone.

We felt so bad for him. There's also not enough infrastructure and care from the government in China to help people like that neighbor so we're not sure how he is able to live day to day.

So we just gotta be really grateful....we have honestly very much 1st world problems that most people would dream of having.

My flight got cancelled because of the snowstorm, so I will not be able to attend my interview at Buffalo tomorrow. Rescheduled to January. This sucks.

Reactions: 5 users
I am so sad, not scratch that, I am extremly upset right now. I talked with the advisor coordinator and explained to her, that I need to take this anatomy course because I have already applied to dental schools and some schools require it. ( they do override all the time for that course).
She told me, oh you have to apply to the school again and declare a major!

I am a non-seeking degree now, and by the way, she knows that the deadline for applying is over!

I have graduated from this school and did great at, but when you need help from them, they don't bother to help you at all.

Why I can't register for
anatomy? What's so freaking great about anatomy that they make it so hard to enroll in.

Hell, it's the hardest class in my university, and people fail at it and repeat it all the time.

And she is responsible on who can get in and who can not, she is very much capable to enroll me, but she chose not to!

No anatomy means, no Howard, no Boston, no UDM, no Tufts, and no Harvard.

Boston
and Tufts don't require it but I took Biology prerequistes at a community college, so they want upper level classes at a 4-years university and I have said I am planning to take it, but now it turned out I can't!

I am so sad, not scratch that, I am extremly upset right now. I talked with the advisor coordinator and explained to her, that I need to take this anatomy course because I have already applied to dental schools and some schools require it. ( they do override all the time for that course).

I am a non-seeking degree now, and by the way, she knows that the deadline for applying is over!

I have graduated from this school and did great at, but when you need help from them, they don't bother to help you at all.

Why I can't register for
anatomy? What's so freaking great about anatomy that they make it so hard to enroll in.

Hell, it's the hardest class in my university, and people fail at it and repeat it all the time.

And she is responsible on who can get in and who can not, she is very much capable to enroll me, but she chose not to!

Boston
and Tufts don't require it but I took Biology prerequistes at a community college, so they want upper level classes at a 4-years university and I have said I am planning to take it, but now it turned out I can't!

that's so annoying that your advisor isn't willing to pull some strings to get you into the class

Try meeting with another advisor, maybe somebody else would help you? Go all the way to the bio department head.

My flight got cancelled because of the snowstorm, so I will not be able to attend my interview at Buffalo tomorrow. Rescheduled to January. This sucks.

Sorry about that. From my experience with Buffalo, whenever we heard bad news from them, we got something better.

My sister was semi-rejected because of her RC score, and she got
multiple interviews days after that.
I got rejected today, well-semi rejected(they told me they won't consider me for now), but got an interview invite from another school 1
0 minutes after the Buffalo email.

So, your trip got canceled from Buffalo could mean
something better is coming your way! You gotta believe that:) and in any case, you still have a chance to get into this school in January, the important thing is your safety! Best of luck

Try meeting with another advisor, maybe somebody else would help you? Go all the way to the bio department head.

Yeah, I am thinking of going to the people in the biology department hopefully they will do something about it.

that sucks! At least they were nice enough to reschedule at such short notice

Flight got delayed 3 times today and now I can't make my connection. Staying overnight and flying home in the morning. Stayed at the airport for like 5 hours when I could have been exploring the area. Oh well

My bf told me a story about this neighbor his family lived next to in rural China way back when. The neighbor was a bit mentally challenged yet he still found a girl that he did the "deed" with and she gave birth to their son. Their son turned out to also be mentally challenged but severely mentally challenged. The girl left him after having the son. The other neighborhood kids would make fun of him but he had his parents and son.

The neighbor lived with his parents and his son for a while before his parents died. The neighbor and the son would walk around hand in hand everyday to the market back home etc. My bf found out yesterday that the son died and now the neighbor is all by himself.....alone.

We felt so bad for him. There's also not enough infrastructure and care from the government in China to help people like that neighbor so we're not sure how he is able to live day to day.

So we just gotta be really grateful....we have honestly very much 1st world problems that most people would dream of having.

That's really sad. Yeah, people can't understand how they are lucky to be born here.

At the same time, the system here is also not good, many people who in need of care are neglected and left to their own devices.

That's
why many people snap and hurt others.

There are many people who are in so much pain but no one tries to help them. So much isolation and division. If you look around, so many people sit by themselves, nobody cares to talk to them.

At least in
China, their social interaction is way better than here, and they have these filial sons and daughters that take care of their elders.

Last edited:

Why I can't register for

Boston

Does she teach the anatomy class and is she the course coordinator?

Just got a summons for jury duty ;~; I guess it would be nice to have excused time off from work, but it's still kind of annoying

Now I have to pay

So... the system is a bit confusing but once you get it it isn't too bad.
basically, here, you won't get in trouble if you DONOT to what it says NOT TO DO.

just like the left turn on green, or U-turn, or right turn on red, where there is no "don't do it" sign, (no left turn, no U turn, no (right) turn on red) you can do it.

parking is the same. If there is no parking sign, you can't park in the whole block unless there is a second sign with arrow -> saying " you can park from this point to the right or left depends on the arrow direction.

in the corner or somewhere you can't park in the middle or between allowed parking area, the curb is painted yellow, but sometimes it is worn out and can't really see but you have to know by experience.

only park between the signs it says 2 hr parking or, no parking during the weekday (it means you can park weekend) if it says no park btw 9am till 4:30 week days, you can obviously park during evening past 4:30 and holidays weekends all day.

the pay to park stations are a bit tricky, but it is again only between the "start" and "end" signs. It is most likely that you parked in no parking block. ;(
Sorry.

rule of thumbs, only park where everyone else is parking lol!!! if whole a lot empty, think twice why it is empty....haha

So... the system is a bit confusing but once you get it it isn't too bad.
basically, here, you won't get in trouble if you DONOT to what it says NOT TO DO.

just like the left turn on green, or U-turn, or right turn on red, where there is no "don't do it" sign, (no left turn, no U turn, no (right) turn on red) you can do it.

parking is the same. If there is no parking sign, you can't park in the whole block unless there is a second sign with arrow -> saying " you can park from this point to the right or left depends on the arrow direction.

in the corner or somewhere you can't park in the middle or between allowed parking area, the curb is painted yellow, but sometimes it is worn out and can't really see but you have to know by experience.

only park between the signs it says 2 hr parking or, no parking during the weekday (it means you can park weekend) if it says no park btw 9am till 4:30 week days, you can obviously park during evening past 4:30 and holidays weekends all day.

the pay to park stations are a bit tricky, but it is again only between the "start" and "end" signs. It is most likely that you parked in no parking block. ;(
Sorry.

rule of thumbs, only park where everyone else is parking lol!!! if whole a lot empty, think twice why it is empty....haha

Wow, thank you! This is extremely helpful.

Yes, I remember, there was no cars parked on that block, but on the other side and I thought maybe because I was too early.

I'll be more cautious
next time.

OMG!! I agree with you!!
I am currently working in non-dental environment and none of my coworkers understands why I have to physically go for interviews! They suggested to do video or phone interview lol

I had an interview this week and got to know that I have take undergraduate level microbiology course to fulfill their requirement, even though I am currently taking one for my Master's degree. It is so expensive to take one more undergraduate course as a part-time student, when I am spending so much money for my master education, dental school applications, travel expenses, etc.

Why I can't register for

Boston

This sucks. If things don't work out, can you take the anatomy class in another institution? I am sorry that your advisor coordinate made things so hard for you.

Sorry about that. From my experience with Buffalo, whenever we heard bad news from them, we got something better.

My sister was semi-rejected because of her RC score, and she got
multiple interviews days after that.
I got rejected today, well-semi rejected(they told me they won't consider me for now), but got an interview invite from another school 1
0 minutes after the Buffalo email.

So, your trip got canceled from Buffalo could mean
something better is coming your way! You gotta believe that:) and in any case, you still have a chance to get into this school in January, the important thing is your safety! Best of luck

Thank you for your kind words! I am grateful that Buffalo is understanding and willing to offer me another chance to interview at their school.

Why I can't register for

Boston

Anatomy is a process to get into because of how many regulations there are involving your state’s anatomical board. If one person messes something up, every cadaver can get pulled from the state. I go to a large state school with one of the county’s biggest undergrad cadaver lab (we have roughly 30 cadavers), and they protect that program like its Fort Knox

Anatomy is a process to get into because of how many regulations there are involving your state’s anatomical board. If one person messes something up, every cadaver can get pulled from the state. I go to a large state school with one of the county’s biggest undergrad cadaver lab (we have roughly 30 cadavers), and they protect that program like its Fort Knox

I didn't know that, thanks for telling me.

Now, are we going to deal with corpses here
? I thought we'll see the organs separately, not the whole deal.

:whoa:

I didn't know that, thanks for telling me.

Now, are we going to deal with corpses here
? I thought we'll see the organs separately, not the whole deal.

:whoa:

I’m not sure what “here” is. I think that having a full cadaver is quite normal, but I’m not positive. All I’ve ever known is having full cadavers graciously given to us.

I’m not sure what “here” is. I think that having a full cadaver is quite normal, but I’m not positive. All I’ve ever known is having full cadavers graciously given to us.

I meant at my university, I didn't know we will have to deal with cadavers, I thought it was like the biology labs where we dissected small animal or looked at individuals organs of certain animals.