RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My inner dr. doolittle thinks Roxy has this to say:
"I do not approve of this message. Take me with you!"

I wish I could, but I probably won't be able to give her the time she deserves. :(

Members don't see this ad.

My gf's cat thought it would be funny to chew through my phone charger cord, my ipod charger cord, and the cord that powers the wireless internet... I tried splicing them back together and 2 out of the 3 was successful!! Oh how I miss internet at home... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Bleh. We finally opened all the windows today... and now all I smell is cow shiz from the farms surrounding us :smack:

Boyfriend went back home early this morning:cry:Don't want to go to school..already missed a few classes this morning

My gf's cat thought it would be funny to chew through my phone charger cord, my ipod charger cord, and the cord that powers the wireless internet... I tried splicing them back together and 2 out of the 3 was successful!! Oh how I miss internet at home... :(

My cat did that. x2 Good thing he's cute. My sister and I are currently sharing iPod cords, my dad had to get a new internet cable, I bought a new kindle charger, and my mom and I are sharing phone cords. This cat cost me lots of $$$ :eek: But it was his birthday yesterday, so we can't knock on him too much :laugh:

My cat did that. x2 Good thing he's cute. My sister and I are currently sharing iPod cords, my dad had to get a new internet cable, I bought a new kindle charger, and my mom and I are sharing phone cords. This cat cost me lots of $$$ :eek: But it was his birthday yesterday, so we can't knock on him too much :laugh:

Yea, if he wasn't so cute I would have totally given him a bath :smuggrin:

AARGH
I am too nice of a co-worker. You wanna know what 5 sick days or less a year in 5 years looks like? like 198.0 hours of sick time that I never use.
And vacation I never have to tap in to because I'm always working enough OT to have comp time instead.

But that isn't what I'm ranting about. I'm ranting about WHY I'm working so much OT. Because I'm the junior dispatcher, and I'm too damn nice. I worked 5-midnight last night because no-one else could, then came back at 7am. I am scheduled till 5 but now may have to stay till 10, missing my chance at a training run I needed to do. All because I have to stay if no one else shows. And they know it.

AARGH
I am too nice of a co-worker. You wanna know what 5 sick days or less a year in 5 years looks like? like 198.0 hours of sick time that I never use.
And vacation I never have to tap in to because I'm always working enough OT to have comp time instead.

But that isn't what I'm ranting about. I'm ranting about WHY I'm working so much OT. Because I'm the junior dispatcher, and I'm too damn nice. I worked 5-midnight last night because no-one else could, then came back at 7am. I am scheduled till 5 but now may have to stay till 10, missing my chance at a training run I needed to do. All because I have to stay if no one else shows. And they know it.

Stop it! I do this kind of thing too, and then I end up kicking myself later. I'm trying to resolve to say no more often, but I end up feeling so guilty about it that it's worse than if I would have just said yes. Maybe saying no gets easier and it eventually will be beneficial to mental health?

Stop it! I do this kind of thing too, and then I end up kicking myself later. I'm trying to resolve to say no more often, but I end up feeling so guilty about it that it's worse than if I would have just said yes. Maybe saying no gets easier and it eventually will be beneficial to mental health?
I hope so. I always feel guilty when I say no. It SUCKS to be like "I took that day off so I could do things for me." and feel bad about it.

I hope so. I always feel guilty when I say no. It SUCKS to be like "I took that day off so I could do things for me." and feel bad about it.

I'm the same way. And my boss (who I also have a personal relationship with that bleeds over) totally knows this and uses it :oops:

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

All this talk about the treatment of food animals just makes me shake my head LOL. I was asked about the treatment of production animals in my K state interview. I answered honestly that I understand the farmer's side that they need to produce at very high numbers and in a lot of cases for low margins. But that I also understand that animal welfare is very important like keeping large numbers of animals in a small space.
Well one of my interviewers kind of ripped me a new one telling me that I am very misinformed. Animal producers have done a vast amount of research on this because it is in their best interest to have healthy happy animals. Got an example with chickens in that if they are given an open door they don't use it.

..... I did not get in there ....

The "they wouldn't produce if they weren't happy" argument is my favourite. It's ignoring something; if animals don't produce well in the conditions they're kept in, they're culled or simply not bred. While obviously animals aren't going to be as fruitful in absolute **** conditions, I think to say "Oh this is good enough - look, they're growing!" is bullcrap. You can keep and breed dogs in puppy mill conditions (obviously) - that doesn't mean it's ideal for them or fulfilling all of their mental and physical needs.

(And wow, chickens that have been kept inside their entire lives are scared to walk away from the main group into the bright, unknown outside? How shocking).

Members don't see this ad :)
The "they wouldn't produce if they weren't happy" argument is my favourite. It's ignoring something; if animals don't produce well in the conditions they're kept in, they're culled or simply not bred. While obviously animals aren't going to be as fruitful in absolute **** conditions, I think to say "Oh this is good enough - look, they're growing!" is bullcrap. You can keep and breed dogs in puppy mill conditions (obviously) - that doesn't mean it's ideal for them or fulfilling all of their mental and physical needs.

(And wow, chickens that have been kept inside their entire lives are scared to walk away from the main group into the bright, unknown outside? How shocking).

I was a little taken aback by his response and how vehemently he said it. I could tell he really didn't like me after that answer :(
(He wasn't even faculty he was a "mixed practice vet from the vicinity" ....)

I accidentally threw away my Livestrong bracelet at work today. It must have come off with the rubber gloves that I was using to prepare fecal samples. I feel naked without it. I've worn once since 9th grade, so it's been like 9 years...looks like I'm buying a pack of 10 online since I gave my extra one to the bf cause his broke a few months ago.

My rant for the week/month. As a blue heeler parent, this story outrages me. If a police officer- or any stranger for that matter, came to my driveway, waved a gun at me and was shouting loudly, you can bet your butt that my dogs would be barking their heads off. But my god, isnt that why we own dogs? To serve as protectors? You can watch/listen to the dash cam footage from this Austin police officer's car and a grand total of four seconds passed from the time he yelled at the man to get his hands up, yelled at him to get his dog, then BANG. Four seconds. The man didn't even have time to process why a police officer was pointing a gun at him. You can hear the man screaming, Don't shoot my dog! Why did you shoot my dog?!

Ugh this makes me sick and breaks my heart. And the officer probably won't receive any disciplinary action because a barking dog is reason enough to "feel threatened" and discharge their weapon.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/JusticeForCisco

http://www.weareaustin.com/news/top..._ref=.T4ywC190zx8.like&fb_source=home_oneline

I thought police officers were required to complete some kind of "Shoot/Don't Shoot" training? And the worst part? The officer was at the wrong address.

So my support system decided to fail tonight. Like everyone else on here I've got more than too much going on. And I was really stressed out and feeling like **** because I apparently can't write an abstract, which is difficult to do when I don't even have my paper finished. And I only have 2 weeks left this semester and all too much left. (Aside from my club, and my wedding, and two jobs). I just wanted some support since I was feeling bad and instead he blamed my feeling this way on me (which might be true, but it was the last thing I wanted to hear). Then I told him to shut up and smacked him (which I've never done out of true frustration). I don't want to be anywhere near him right now.

I know that Australia tends to have far superior animal production conditions than the US - for this I'm extremely grateful and it means I happily eat beef, lamb and drink milk, and buy RSPCA approved pork and chicken. But over here, the "happy animals = greater production" IS true. I don't believe production = happy animals, but I definately believe happy animals = GREATER production.

I've seen some terrible farms with terrible farming practices - but the most successful farms I've ever seen were ones where animal welfare was a priority, not an afterthought. These happy healthy animals DO produce more, if you handle them quietly in the yards they hold their weight better and give better meat. If you have an acidosis free dairy herd they do produce more milk, and lose less condition. It also makes milking easier as they are happy to walk to the shed quicker! If you have happy pigs they are less likely to fight, tail bite or fall victim to scours.

So over here, we strongly believe that there are great rewards for delivering your animals great animal welfare. Many many farmers here see the benefits, and so the perception over here is changing - huge outback stations are putting all their handlers through low stress stock handling courses, we're changing sow stall laws, sheep farmers are looking for alternatives to mulesing. It's just a shame not everywhere can have production like we do.

Wow I thought my cat was the only one. I have no workable headphones due to ONE cat. Only one of them does this, and she loves me and only bestows her gifts on me. Sigh.

I know that Australia tends to have far superior animal production conditions than the US - for this I'm extremely grateful and it means I happily eat beef, lamb and drink milk, and buy RSPCA approved pork and chicken. But over here, the "happy animals = greater production" IS true. I don't believe production = happy animals, but I definately believe happy animals = GREATER production.

I've seen some terrible farms with terrible farming practices - but the most successful farms I've ever seen were ones where animal welfare was a priority, not an afterthought. These happy healthy animals DO produce more, if you handle them quietly in the yards they hold their weight better and give better meat. If you have an acidosis free dairy herd they do produce more milk, and lose less condition. It also makes milking easier as they are happy to walk to the shed quicker! If you have happy pigs they are less likely to fight, tail bite or fall victim to scours.

So over here, we strongly believe that there are great rewards for delivering your animals great animal welfare. Many many farmers here see the benefits, and so the perception over here is changing - huge outback stations are putting all their handlers through low stress stock handling courses, we're changing sow stall laws, sheep farmers are looking for alternatives to mulesing. It's just a shame not everywhere can have production like we do.

Definitely not arguing that animals in good health, low stress situations will produce more! And totally all for it - I'm not against animal agriculture in general. I just dislike seeing that argument being used as justification that current practices are A-OK because animals produce.

One of our cats will not stop pooping on the floor.

She has IBD, which caused the behavior in the first place, as she associated the litterbox with pain and didn't want to use it.

Now we have her on a great diet and stress management regimen, so she's actually having solid, non-bloody, non-mucousy poos, and she's not in pain anymore.

I think she's so traumatized about the experience that she's terrified to use it. We have added two more litterboxes to the arsenal (we're a 2 kitty household) and they are all over the house. Whenever she has to go, she'll approach me or the hubby and meow so pathetically; if we're home, we can coax her into the litterbox. If we're not, it's floor-poopin' time.

For us, it's just become a part of our lives. She's sick and she's sometimes in pain, so we deal with it. But we're moving in 6 weeks, and I have to give our current landlord notice soon. I am compulsive about cleaning to make sure our house doesn't smell like rank cat poo, but I'm terrified that our landlord, who made a concession to let us have cats, will come into the apartment with a prospective tenant and discover a giant pile of cat crap.

So yep. I have a cat who is a ****monster. But she purrs like a lawnmower and drinks water out of a cup if offered, so I guess I'll deal with it. :love:

One of our cats will not stop pooping on the floor.

She has IBD, which caused the behavior in the first place, as she associated the litterbox with pain and didn't want to use it.

Now we have her on a great diet and stress management regimen, so she's actually having solid, non-bloody, non-mucousy poos, and she's not in pain anymore.

I think she's so traumatized about the experience that she's terrified to use it. We have added two more litterboxes to the arsenal (we're a 2 kitty household) and they are all over the house. Whenever she has to go, she'll approach me or the hubby and meow so pathetically; if we're home, we can coax her into the litterbox. If we're not, it's floor-poopin' time.

For us, it's just become a part of our lives. She's sick and she's sometimes in pain, so we deal with it. But we're moving in 6 weeks, and I have to give our current landlord notice soon. I am compulsive about cleaning to make sure our house doesn't smell like rank cat poo, but I'm terrified that our landlord, who made a concession to let us have cats, will come into the apartment with a prospective tenant and discover a giant pile of cat crap.

So yep. I have a cat who is a ****monster. But she purrs like a lawnmower and drinks water out of a cup if offered, so I guess I'll deal with it. :love:
Proud to have your "type" coming here.

Proud to have your "type" coming here.
agree.gif

Why thank you. Hopefully my "type" isn't "whipped by neurotic cats". ;)
Heck no!! I lost my girl about a year and a half ago when she was 24. She was blind and had mild dementia so she would often be unable to find the boxes. I just cleaned it up and loved on her after. I still miss her so so much.

Maybe if your landlord plans to tell you in advance when s/he'll be showing the place, you can corral the cat wherever the poop would do the least damage?

Maybe if your landlord plans to tell you in advance when s/he'll be showing the place, you can corral the cat wherever the poop would do the least damage?

Thats the hope and the plan. we have a fairly large linen closet (like 3'x5') that we currently have a litterbox in, so I'm hoping I can stick the cats in there with a "DANGER! Cats will escape!" sign or something so people don't feel compelled to open the door.

And Abney: 24?!? Our baby girl is only 6. I'm sure I *could* deal with 18 more years of this, but she better start getting really good at the laser pointer game or it's gonna be a long ride.

Oh so flippin pissed off at people who think they are better than everyone else just because they are part of a clique on a forum - go f' yourselves seriously! :mad:

Grow up, stop being a douche, get over yourself, you are not god's gift

just cause I am a noob in your world doesn't mean I suck at life - f you in the a

+pissed+

Oh so flippin pissed off at people who think they are better than everyone else just because they are part of a clique on a forum - go f' yourselves seriously! :mad:

just cause I am a noob in your world doesn't mean I suck at life - f you in the a

+pissed+
lounge?

yo devyn whatever it is im sure they're just trying to get a rise out of you because sometimes it's entertaining to be a dick on the internet. don't let it get to ya.

yo devyn whatever it is im sure they're just trying to get a rise out of you because sometimes it's entertaining to be a dick on the internet. don't let it get to ya.
:thumbup:

+pissed+

:confused::confused:You tell em!!!!

Oh none of this was for entertainment value as no one could see it - all in PM! This was just to be a complete and utter *****hat :mad:

Oh none of this was for entertainment value as no one could see it - all in PM! This was just to be a complete and utter *****hat :mad:

Let me introduce you to the concept of self-reinforcement (you know, like stupid little yappy dogs that bark endlessly because it makes them feel good for whatever reason...).

Got a text from sister during lab meeting this morning that my dog had diarrhea aaaalll over the dining room :(:(:( She had just spent the past weekend with my parents dog, who also had diarrhea all day yesterday (and who :xf:seems to be doing okay today).
Ugh, she's supposed to have her spay tomorrow (and thankfully has a scheduled vet appt today anyway), and my sister just left her in her crate. I want her out so she can have fresh water and NOT crap all over the crate and herself. Looks like I'll be going home early today. My poor Luna :(:(:(

from the game? Or just someone else?

Sent from my PC36100 using SDN Mobile

Let me introduce you to the concept of self-reinforcement (you know, like stupid little yappy dogs that bark endlessly because it makes them feel good for whatever reason...).

Yeah I know - most days I wouldn't care, but it just hit a chord today

I'll simmer soon once my headache goes away or I will just start drinking :laugh:

Yeah I know - most days I wouldn't care, but it just hit a chord today

I'll simmer soon once my headache goes away or I will just start drinking :laugh:

I'm sorry someone would stoop that low devyn, but think of it this way:

They needed some way to boost their poor ego. They were probably jealous or upset that a "noob:rolleyes:" would make it as far as you did and they needed an ego boost. So they sent you a PM stating whatever it was just to make themselves feel "better". Some people are just mean because they can be. Especially when they can hide behind a computer screen.

You and I can still have our whiskey/waffle feud though...;)

Well, just remember that you have your own waffle clique here. And a special feud with you and me :D

I'm sorry someone would stoop that low devyn, but think of it this way:

They needed some way to boost their poor ego. They were probably jealous or upset that a "noob:rolleyes:" would make it as far as you did and they needed an ego boost. So they sent you a PM stating whatever it was just to make themselves feel "better". Some people are just mean because they can be. Especially when they can hide behind a computer screen.

You and I can still have our whiskey/waffle feud though...;)

Yeah I really don't understand the "noob" hate over there. And he definitely took it to PM as didn't have big enough balls to do it in a public forum, but whatever.

And the thing I like about the pre-vet forum is no one is mean here just to be mean. I really don't get that mentality - never will. We can have our fun feuds, be sarcastic, and no one goes ape ****e crazy.

Honestly, a number of people over there are way too in love with themselves. Enjoy the ones who aren't, and completely ignore the others. That place has more weird cliques than any I have known.

Sometimes it gets to me, sometimes it entertains me.

Thankfully there are some good people over there - so I am just trying to avoid the others. Just honestly wasn't expecting someone to get so butthurt over a WW game. But such is life I guess...

TimeWarner said:
Well, just remember that you have your own waffle clique here. And a special feud with you and me :D

:D