RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's a rant question: If you know that your tub drain is clogged, why would you and your whole family continue to use it as normal, especially if you know it will flood your neighbor's tub as well?

I haven't taken a shower in three days because of this issue but my neighbors (family of 4) keep using the tub (I've had two plumbers in two days complain about that to me).

Tomorrow I have to be clean for work so I get to be the tub-flooding a-hole for a change.

Members don't see this ad.

Found out why brother was in jail. Both my brother and his GF/baby momma started talking on FB and now there is a local blog hashing out all the juicy details of the "white trash breakup and legal fallout" as it spreads across FB.

Short, straight facts version: She has a black eye. Their dog was paralyzed and had to be put down. They have a special needs kiddo. My brother thinks he is the smartest person in any room...

Found out why brother was in jail. Both my brother and his GF/baby momma started talking on FB and now there is a local blog hashing out all the juicy details of the "white trash breakup and legal fallout" as it spreads across FB.

Short, straight facts version: She has a black eye. Their dog was paralyzed and had to be put down. They have a special needs kiddo. My brother thinks he is the smartest person in any room...

Ahh, family.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My morning started like a Scooby Doo episode because my cat knocked my glasses case off my night stand and I couldn't find them because I can't see without my glasses!

raw

Reactions: 11 users
My morning started like a Scooby Doo episode because my cat knocked my glasses case off my night stand and I couldn't find them because I can't see without my glasses!

raw
So this happens to me quite frequently....
I have found that turning my camera on my phone on (and turning it to video and putting the flash on, but not recording or anything unless your phone isnt an iphone and doesnt work like that) because then its like a flashlight but I CAN SEEEEEEEE because of the camera lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sp this happens to me quite frequently....
I have found that turning my camera on my phone on (and turning it to video and putting the flash on, but not recording or anything unless your phone isnt an iphone and doesnt work like that) because then its like a flashlight but I CAN SEEEEEEEE because of the camera lens.
I have definitely done this before haha. Luckily I save all of my old glasses in a desk drawer for this exact reason. I used some emergency backup glasses to find my real glasses. Kitty was not pleased that his attempt to blind me was unsuccessful.

Reactions: 4 users
It rained all last night and this morning and now it's completely frozen over... myself and other students slipping and sliding all over the sidewalks and roads this morning. I fell several times (thankfully wasn't hurt). No salt put down yet. Multiple other vet students reportedly nearly getting into car accidents. I'm not normally one to get all up in arms about class not being cancelled but I'm kind of wishing that it had been today.

Reactions: 2 users
It rained all last night and this morning and now it's completely frozen over... myself and other students slipping and sliding all over the sidewalks and roads this morning. I fell several times (thankfully wasn't hurt). No salt put down yet. Multiple other vet students reportedly nearly getting into car accidents. I'm not normally one to get all up in arms about class not being cancelled but I'm kind of wishing that it had been today.

Ice is no joke. I live in Michigan and would choose heavy snow > rain/ice any day. A really bad ice storm caused a 10 day power outage years ago where I live during a polar vortex. I've also almost re-torn my beautifully repaired ACL walking on ice. Be careful!

This is the thing I'm kind of scared of. I love cold and snow but I've never had to deal with driving in it before, and Pittsburgh was really good about salting the roads and everything (though I did almost do a split while walking down a sidewalk in my neighborhood once...with a heavy backpack on...guess they missed a spot). Driving already gives me anxiety at baseline, I don't want to deal with winter driving.

Reactions: 1 user
That I paid for! I'm on try number three of watching a movie because the entertainment stuff keeps crashing and in a middle middle seat squished on all sides and so freaking done. Blegh.
Oh noooooooo
Do you at least have snacks?
(And I figured you probably had to pay for the wifi, but some airlines don't even offer it:eek:)

Members don't see this ad :)
That I paid for! I'm on try number three of watching a movie because the entertainment stuff keeps crashing and in a middle middle seat squished on all sides and so freaking done. Blegh.
My plane is getting ready to take off and I'm right behind first and the flight attendant is offering them coconut vegan soup. Are the vegans breaded in coconut?

Reactions: 3 users
But this was coconut vegans not vegan coconut

Which is what made me laugh

To be fair, coconuts do not eat animal products...

The grocery store I go to has frozen sections Pizza, Vegetables, Ice Cream, Vegetarian, Breakfast, etc. and it always makes me think of cannibals.

Reactions: 3 users
Friend dropped me off at airport before winter break. Friend and I made plans to travel back to school on the same day. Friend now changed plans and is not traveling back on same day. My car is 100 miles away from said airport. This is making things fun.

Friend dropped me off at airport before winter break. Friend and I made plans to travel back to school on the same day. Friend now changed plans and is not traveling back on same day. My car is 100 miles away from said airport. This is making things fun.
Boooo I hate when people flake out like that. If all else fails is there a shuttle service at the airport? (I'm assuming you're at OKC?)

Boooo I hate when people flake out like that. If all else fails is there a shuttle service at the airport? (I'm assuming you're at OKC?)

OKC or Tulsa?

OKC. Shuttle says I can't bring my cat with me... and it's over $100. o_O Looked into renting a car, but small town USA closes on weekends and I couldn't turn the car in once I got there. And it is supposed to ice storm all weekend. I think the world is telling me not to go back.

I posted on my class page though, so hopefully someone else is flying in the same day and I can hitch a ride.

Reactions: 1 users
Lost my keys. Walked to and stood outside of my apartment in 10 degree weather for 15 minutes until front staff came with a replacement key. Told them that I think I left it inside my bedroom this morning, so he tells me it's no problem and to just bring the old one down so that I won't be charged for the new one. So then I go inside the apartment, look all over my bedroom, in my purse, in my backpack, in my coat and pants pockets... nothing. Which means that I either lost all of my keys on the way to school this morning or that they're somewhere in the vet school. All I can say is that I'd better find them, because literally ALL of my keys---including the one for my neuroanatomy lab locker---are on that keyring.

Between this, the crappy weather, me slipping and falling all over the ice on the way to and from school, and my massive headache from working inside a formalin-fixed cow in anatomy the past 3 hours, I just want to cry. Urgh.

OKC. Shuttle says I can't bring my cat with me... and it's over $100. o_O Looked into renting a car, but small town USA closes on weekends and I couldn't turn the car in once I got there. And it is supposed to ice storm all weekend. I think the world is telling me not to go back.

I posted on my class page though, so hopefully someone else is flying in the same day and I can hitch a ride.

If it were Tulsa, I would try and help. Can't do much for OKC though.

Geez. On friday here, it snowed for 10 mintues and they had salted all sidewalks, closed city hall and all the schools, and released us at 11:30. No snow after that o_O

Geez. On friday here, it snowed for 10 mintues and they had salted all sidewalks, closed city hall and all the schools, and released us at 11:30. No snow after that o_O
Oh, wow.

I also just found out that one of my friends actually did get into a car accident this morning... I was wondering why she wasn't in class. Thankfully, she's fine, but still. Today sucks. :(

If the weather was better, I would come pick you up. However, I am a wuss when it comes to driving in snow and definitely ice. Hopefully you will find a solution! Is there anyway you can change your flight to the Stillwater airport?

Lost my keys. Walked to and stood outside of my apartment in 10 degree weather for 15 minutes until front staff came with a replacement key. Told them that I think I left it inside my bedroom this morning, so he tells me it's no problem and to just bring the old one down so that I won't be charged for the new one. So then I go inside the apartment, look all over my bedroom, in my purse, in my backpack, in my coat and pants pockets... nothing. Which means that I either lost all of my keys on the way to school this morning or that they're somewhere in the vet school. All I can say is that I'd better find them, because literally ALL of my keys---including the one for my neuroanatomy lab locker---are on that keyring.

Between this, the crappy weather, me slipping and falling all over the ice on the way to and from school, and my massive headache from working inside a formalin-fixed cow in anatomy the past 3 hours, I just want to cry. Urgh.
I've spent my entire break retracing my steps scouring everywhere in the vet school I was yesterday, outside in the parking lot, and have asked the desk staff at every spot where lost items tend to be brought in. Still haven't found my keys. Hoping and praying that I see them on the walk back home today or that someone manages to find them and take them into OASA. I have a new apartment key and the car and house keys can be replaced, but I really need my neuroanatomy locker key or I am in big trouble for the rest of the semester. :(

Broke a third of my "indestructible" phone screen :mad:

I have pertussis. PERTUSSIS! How does that even happen?! I've been vaccinated and I'm never around kids. I feel like my lungs are going to come up and apparently it won't get any better for at least a week or two.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I really, really hate when you have one of those dreams that your pet is in trouble or suffering and then you wake up and remember that said pet is dead. :(

I haven't had a nightmare about him in months so I don't know why today was different.

I have pertussis. PERTUSSIS! How does that even happen?! I've been vaccinated and I'm never around kids. I feel like my lungs are going to come up and apparently it won't get any better for at least a week or two.

I had it as a kid. Was vaccinated. It sucks.

My sister got that a couple of years ago. Months later, she was still having coughing fits whenever she was in crowds. It was literally more than a year before she felt normal.

I had it as a kid. Was vaccinated. It sucks.

Ditto. @emacc that really sucks and I hope you feel better soon! My lungs have been crappy since I was a kid and besides pertussis, I've had bronchitis and pneumonia more times than I can count. Take care of yourself and give yourself more time to rest and heal than you think you'll need. If you feel like you're getting worse or just not getting better, don't be afraid to let your doctor know- worst case scenario, there's nothing they can do. But sometimes there's an inhaler or other medication that can help, and it doesn't hurt to ask (and you don't want to end up with pneumonia or something else as well!)

I find drinking warm apple juice is the most soothing thing when my throat hurts- it's more soothing than tea and not as acidic as cider. Plus it's yummy.

My mom has been nagging me about getting the pneumonia and pertussis shots (adults can get them too!), and I think I'll ask my doctor about getting them.

I had it as a kid along with pneumonia a lot, but this is seriously the worst I've ever experienced.

I'm definitely going to call and ask about an inhaler, I got stuck in a coughing fit so bad I nearly passed out last night. We're supposed to be moving to the cold cold next month so hopefully I'll be feeling relatively normal by then.

Green-ginger tea and manuka honey are definitely helping, along with a ton of ice water. Thankfully I haven't been around many people the last week, I did go to work briefly on Tuesday when I thought it was a lingering flu and was around coworkers with kids but I kept a surgical mask on and was washing my hands constantly.

I realize that this is super late, but Uber does OKC to Stilly for a flat fee, if it happens again.

My mom has been nagging me about getting the pneumonia and pertussis shots (adults can get them too!), and I think I'll ask my doctor about getting them.
Isn't pertussis the P in the Tdap vaccine? I'm 98% sure I got that one a couple years ago (at about 20) when I had to get a tetanus booster. Unless I'm the oddball and most people don't get the Tdap that old?

@kaydubs.... anything you would like to share with SDN on this fine Thursday?? :corny:

Reactions: 7 users
Isn't pertussis the P in the Tdap vaccine? I'm 98% sure I got that one a couple years ago (at about 20) when I had to get a tetanus booster. Unless I'm the oddball and most people don't get the Tdap that old?

Oh, good point. Tdap is for adults so I don't think you're an oddball, but there are tetanus shots that don't include pertussis so I'm not sure if that's what I got as a tetanus shot last year. I'll check with my doctor, thanks!

I'm supposed to be interviewing with an ophthalmologist about doing research for the Summer Scholars program... but I literally just realized that there is a GPA requirement and I don't meet it. Sent him an email explaining this and now I feel awful for wasting his time and getting my hopes up.
@SandstormDVM, can you interview with the ophthalmologist anyway (despite the GPA requirement)?

When I interview individuals, including post-docs, fellows, interns and residents, I'm interested in learning more about *them* (and what they have to offer), and don't necessarily rely on a quantitative GPA on a transcript. Reason: I'm looking for "real-life" substance, dedication and passion; and not simply academic transcript data - especially since I'm aware that a GPA may not be the most accurate measure of an individual's actual ability to think critically, analyze, trouble-shoot, diagnose, treat, manage stress, and do well in real-time research and/or real-life clinical practice. For that reason, I always prefer to meet face-to-face with individuals. Yes, I know ... an academic transcript might be an indicator of future success, but I have (often) encountered practicing MDs, DVMs, and PhDs who did not always earn stellar grades as students, but they became stellar superstars as MD, DVM and PhD-degree recipients, and remain superstars to this day.

So ... I hope you're able to interview with the ophthalmologist, despite the GPA.

Last edited:

Yeah that's the one I got ~6yrs ago, I had to get the record for the health dept since we're on a military base. They told me to get another booster as soon as I'm "better". But apparently I'm going to be short of breath/coughing for a long time.

Yeah that's the one I got ~6yrs ago, I had to get the record for the health dept since we're on a military base. They told me to get another booster as soon as I'm "better". But apparently I'm going to be short of breath/coughing for a long time.

:( I hope you feel better(relatively) soon

I had pertussis as a baby. It caused seizures. I was on phenobarbital for quite some time. I was supposed to be mentally delayed. I do have some long term memory loss. Otherwise, I'm relatively "normal".... other than the whole going into vet med thing.

Thanks for the wise words and encouragement. :) I've had a rough first week back so it's definitely appreciated.

He emailed me back and admitted that he wasn't sure as to the policies of the program because I guess he has never participated in it before, so he submitted a query to the administration about it. The fact that he came to me about the opportunity rather than the other way around I would think is a good sign and shows that I'm starting to get my name known among the ophtho department here even as a VM1 (I've done a lot of wetlabs, am currently working for one of the clinicians, and am also on Ophtho Club exec and have helped organize a bunch of stuff). So I'm hoping that I will still be allowed to participate in his project, but I know deep down with my grades it isn't likely as it seems to be a pretty strict requirement.

I am going to see about applying for the Banfield Student Program and some other possible vet-related volunteer/work opportunities so that I hopefully will have something to look forward to this summer. But my GPA unfortunately is a real hurdle for some of these things. :sour: I am seriously trying to do better this semester, though; since I am still in my first year my vet school GPA is still very malleable and I can make a large improvement if I do well enough in my current classes.

I'm just... I'm really frustrated and angry with myself for my performance last semester and getting myself in this situation to begin with.
My gpa is crap, but getting better in second year. People keep talking about scholarships and externships and I keep thinking, yup, I can't do that. I'm still going to apply for an externship at an aquarium and hope my masters degree in bio with research on harbor seals as well as being scuba certified will win them over.

My roommate just let me know that her cat has worms A week after I've been down here with my kitten