RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if they are expecting you to do something for the clinic, they are required to pay you for that time. Or they can wait and handle it themselves. this kind of thing is why we have lawyers that specialize in employment laws
The thing is, I haven't been directly ordered to do anything.
It was my offer and my choice to drop off the medication. I do not expect remuneration for that, since it had nothing to do with my job at the clinic.

I dropped by to bring in the medication the client had given me, to prove that I had actually gone there and given it to them. Well I was there, it just made sense for me to call the owner since they would have a much harder time bsing me directly. Went directly to voicemail, so I left a message and stayed for another 30 minutes to see if they would call back. Mainly because I want this dealt with ASAP so I'm not dealing with it all week over texts with my coworkers since I don't work again until the weekend. Could I have in theory just left it for my coworkers to deal with? Yes. However that would have made the situation more messy, since I was the only one working that day and the only one who knew exactly what happened. It would have taken longer to deal with, been messier, and would have caused some friction between my coworkers and I because they would have been grumpy about having to try and fix a situation they didn't know much about.

Again, no one ordered me to stay, so I really can't go demanding pay. I just wanted the situation dealt with, and the easiest way was just to do it myself. I'm just grumpy that my moral obligation to do that took time away from my study time.

(Never heard back from the owner so I'll probably be dealing with this all week anyway)

Members don't see this ad.

Probably a good lesson in here somewhere. Basically I can't think of a single medication an animal will die overnight without, which means they can come pick it up the next day. Not only that but we tell clients repetitively to call in prescriptions at least 48 hours before they are out. Boils down to "your lack of planning is not an emergency on my part." Maybe I'm just a bitch but clients can pick up their own pets meds....I'm a vet, not a delivery service.
Yeah, I do get the lesson, and it is one I have seen/heard about on here and from other vets. I was just trying to be a nice human being. Customer service (in my opinion) is one of the weaker areas of my clinic so I just wanted to try and do something in my power to improve it, since I'm not around the rest of the week to do so.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I do get the lesson, and it is one I have seen/heard about on here and from other vets. I was just trying to be a nice human being. Customer service (in my opinion) is one of the weaker areas of my clinic so I just wanted to try and do something in my power to improve it, since I'm not around the rest of the week to do so.

You can be a nice human being without being taken advantage of, which is what those clients did. I'd honestly not be surprised if they didn't call back. In this field, we have to learn to say no. Clients will take advantage of you if you start doing things like that. There have to be boundaries. You were at a veterinary clinic, saying, "I'll be sure the Dr looks over Fluffy's medical record today so you can pick up her medicine tomorrow" is completely acceptable. If they complain, too bad. There are ways to deal with them complaining that don't involve delivering the medication to them. Not only that, but if they want something delivered, there should be an additional charge. And now you also put the clinic in a position where they might call and say, "well you delivered it before, why can't you now?" You're setting up an expectation that may never be able to be met again. Draw the line at where it goes beyond the scope of what the business provides.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It was my offer and my choice to drop off the medication. I do not expect remuneration for that, since it had nothing to do with my job at the clinic.

I dropped by to bring in the medication the client had given me, to prove that I had actually gone there and given it to them. Well I was there, it just made sense for me to call the owner since they would have a much harder time bsing me directly. Went directly to voicemail, so I left a message and stayed for another 30 minutes to see if they would call back. Mainly because I want this dealt with ASAP so I'm not dealing with it all week over texts with my coworkers since I don't work again until the weekend. Could I have in theory just left it for my coworkers to deal with? Yes. However that would have made the situation more messy, since I was the only one working that day and the only one who knew exactly what happened. It would have taken longer to deal with, been messier, and would have caused some friction between my coworkers and I because they would have been grumpy about having to try and fix a situation they didn't know much about.

Again, no one ordered me to stay, so I really can't go demanding pay. I just wanted the situation dealt with, and the easiest way was just to do it myself. I'm just grumpy that my moral obligation to do that took time away from my study time.

(Never heard back from the owner so I'll probably be dealing with this all week anyway)
ok, but you still shouldn't be doing this and your coworkers should NEVER leave you that kind of voicemail for ANY reason. The appropriate response to a client like that is "we will be in touch with the tech and get back to you. We're sorry you feel you didn't receive your medication."

Reactions: 5 users
I have been peed on twice today..and this was still one of my better days at work this week:bang:

Reactions: 2 users

Again, no one ordered me to stay, so I really can't go demanding pay.

I don't know anything about Canadian wage and hour law, but in the US, which generally has far fewer worker protections, that is absolutely not how it works. The standard is did they "permit or suffer" you to work - meaning if they didn't absolutely forbid you to do it and snatch the medication from your hands / kick you out of the clinic, and you are a non-exempt employee (which a tech would be), they are required by law to pay you for those hours. Travel is iffy, but the hours at the clinic are not even slightly gray areas. You cannot legally "volunteer" your services to your employer. (Posting this primarily for the benefit of USAians, because like I said, I know nothing about Canada.)

Also, I am really glad that we have fired all the clients who do that kind of thing.

The past week has been literal garbage- I was sick enough that I barely made it to my classes, and if I did make it I was in no way learning anything, just trying to not cough on people/sit upright. When I finally started feeling better on Friday, I wanted to get some stuff done (gym, groceries, bank, etc), I went out to my parking lot only to discover my car was just gone. I assumed it had been towed, bc that happens a lot living downtown. I couldn't get a hold of anyone Friday night and had to walk 30 + minutes in the dark to my dad's place. Anyway, basically I had no idea where my car was until today, and it had been in the towing lot for 5 days by that point and I owed them $195. Now I don't have enough money for the tutoring program I was going to pay for this semester. Cool.

Ugh I'm sick and feel awful and can't sleep at all. I'm supposed to get up for school in 40 minutes and my day goes from 8-5 and I've optimistically managed half an hour of sleep tops. :(

You cannot legally "volunteer" your services to your employer.
The clinic I work at in the summers takes this seriously in the idea that I can't even shadow at the clinic/ the vet when I'm not working. So for a month at the beginning of the summer, I was only working 22 or so hours a week, and I really wanted more vet experience.

I mean, I then did such a good job they bumped me to 40 hours a week, but I would've still appreciated being able to shadow (I have no obligations waiting for me at home, I'd stay from sun up to sun down every day the clinic was open if I could.)

Ugh I'm sick and feel awful and can't sleep at all. I'm supposed to get up for school in 40 minutes and my day goes from 8-5 and I've optimistically managed half an hour of sleep tops. :(
:( I'm not sick, just stupid, so went to school on about 3.5 hours of sleep and felt awful, so I'm sure your day wasn't great. Hope you feel better quickly.

Update: Client offered a half assed apology to my coworkers, since it became obvious that I had undeniably been to the house. It appears situation is resolved.

Lesson learned, will not do this again.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Client offered a half assed apology to my coworkers, since it became obvious that I had undeniably been to the house. It appears situation is resolved.

Lesson learned, will not do this again.

That's great to hear! It's not as good as an apology to you for all this but it's better than nothing

Thanks car, you breaking down is just what I need right now!

Reactions: 4 users
My boss is a f***ing NUT Job - pretty sure she's legitimately bipolar or borderline personality disorder - one minute she's telling me how great my blots are the next she's writing a letter to HR because I used the wrong antibody on ONE western... ONCE!
***RIPPING HAIR OUT*** THE DAY I GET INTO VET SCHOOL I AM SO OUT OF HERE! :D

I just looked at my best friend's wedding registry. Never before have I seen so many outrageously expensive items. The only thing under $100 was one glass, and she wants like 10 of them haha. Maybe I'll spring for the fondue set so I can casually ask her to make me cheese fondue...

I just looked at my best friend's wedding registry. Never before have I seen so many outrageously expensive items. The only thing under $100 was one glass, and she wants like 10 of them haha. Maybe I'll spring for the fondue set so I can casually ask her to make me cheese fondue...
You could always just go with cash if the stuff on the registry are too expensive

I have a wedding present that I have been making for people for a few years. I take their wedding invite and carefully slice it into strips, then lightly curl the strips and place them into a clear glass Christmas ball. You can add other things if appropriate. It's also a great gift for a baby shower or Christmas after a baby is born. The registry is just suggestions. Here is an example of a similar ornament.
4bddfaf52e28c5db5b3cd10026c2d906.jpg

Oh! Another great wedding gift are these nesting bowls! I don't know anyone who doesn't love them. I use them ALL the time.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...-87Xz9qh6z_IQ6WDgqzLY78HeFmuVBT7C4aAqAs8P8HAQ

Reactions: 11 users
I have a wedding present that I have been making for people for a few years. I take their wedding invite and carefully slice it into strips, then lightly curl the strips and place them into a clear glass Christmas ball. You can add other things if appropriate. It's also a great gift for a baby shower or Christmas after a baby is born. The registry is just suggestions. Here is an example of a similar ornament.

Oh! Another great wedding gift are these nesting bowls! I don't know anyone who doesn't love them. I use them ALL the time.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/prod...-87Xz9qh6z_IQ6WDgqzLY78HeFmuVBT7C4aAqAs8P8HAQ
That is awesome!

Reactions: 1 users

My sister got a friend a glass cheese board (you can either hang it or actually use it as a cheeseboard) with their wedding invitation blown into the glass. Despite not really being my thing - I'm not a very sentimental sort of person - it was really pretty and the girl LOVED it. (Etsy, of course.)

That's so pretty! You should consider selling these on Etsy or something.

Idk about you guys, but I was really looking forward to seeing the movie A Dog's Purpose... Not anymore, I just saw a video on the news of a handler literally forcing a very obviously terrified German Shepherd into rushing water to shoot one of the scenes, and the dog nearly drowned to death once he was forced in. People really suck :(

Idk about you guys, but I was really looking forward to seeing the movie A Dog's Purpose... Not anymore, I just saw a video on the news of a handler literally forcing a very obviously terrified German Shepherd into rushing water to shoot one of the scenes, and the dog nearly drowned to death once he was forced in. People really suck :(

Seriously???? Ugh...... I was also looking forward to this movie...

I just looked that up after reading your post. That was ridiculous :( I can't believe the dog's trainer(s) let that happen...

I'm so upset by this.. I was really looking forward to this movie too. :mad:

People who cough incessantly in the library. I moved across to the other side of the library (the one with the not as great natural light) and I can still hear her. :bang:

Thought I was getting over this cold but it's just migrating down. I'm coughing and just slept for 10 hours but feel like I could sleep for another 20.

I saw this too. My plan is to pirate the movie whenever I can instead of financially supporting it. ;)

It seems like they were using the "flooding" technique (both literally and figuratively I guess, heh) which is not very frequently used anymore for things like this.

Most of the people I saw discussing it also focused on the fact that this is just a video we saw of what happened when filming this movie, but we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes of a lot of movies and in fact if we really knew what was on the other side of those cameras sometimes, both in human and animal "abuses" we probably wouldn't be able to watch anything with a clear conscience.

People who cough incessantly in the library. I moved across to the other side of the library (the one with the not as great natural light) and I can still hear her. :bang:
oh man, that person has been me the past week.... I basically can't breathe. Damn you sickness...

I have a really weird nose/ nasal cavities, and if I'm breathing out of my nose it sounds like I'm snoring/ Darth Vader, so I'm sorry to all of the people I've annoyed throughout my life

The family cat bit my dad a few days ago and now he's been hospitalized for the infection...

I must be a horrible person because I saw this video and thought, "really, people are upset about THIS?". I mean, we make dogs do stuff they don't want to do all of the time. I LOVE dogs, henceforth my career choice... but I'm still seeing the movie and still think that people are overreacting about that video :shrug: The trainers very clearly care about and love the dogs they're working with. Idk. Maybe it's just me.

I must be a horrible person because I saw this video and thought, "really, people are upset about THIS?". I mean, we make dogs do stuff they don't want to do all of the time.

To me, there's a big difference between forcing a terrified dog to lay on a table for an X-ray and forcing a terrified dog into rushing water so you can make millions of dollars off a movie when there are half a dozen other options that would involve not torturing the poor thing.

The guy whose voice you hear bothered me a lot, too. "He ain't gonna be calm until he's in the water." Uhh, nope. He ain't gonna be calm until he gets out of that situation. And then "now he's learned the water isn't cold," as if the terrified, panicking dog is going to suddenly be okay with all of this because he obviously was able to focus on the temperature of the water in the midst of his panic. What upsets me is that a lot of people will look at this and think that's an acceptable way to train a dog to do anything because, hey, it's a big movie studio doing it this way, and people are just overreacting. That's how people end up getting bitten and how dogs end up with even more behavioral problems, IMO.

As for the trainers caring, you can care all you want but that doesn't mean everything you do to your dog is necessarily appropriate.

Reactions: 8 users
I'm not really sure where I stand on the video.

I'd be curious to see the time lapse in between them trying to get the dog into the water, and the final scene where the dog went under. There's no way to tell how much time elapsed between the two scenes. For all we know, the dog may have calmed down. Regardless, the dog was clearly not happy, and I did feel bad for him (him?).

Overall I can't shake the feeling that it isn't showing the whole story, but I am happy that the incident is being investigated. I read somewhere that the person overseeing animal welfare for the movie was suspended over the incident, so that is enough for me to agree that something definitely was done wrong (unless they were simply suspended due to negative publicity).

I will admit, my first reaction was to take the video with a grain of salt. I have seen first hand how people can twist footage through selective editing, and with that time cut I'm a little suspicious.

For me, just the first part with them forcing the dog in when he's terrified is bad enough, so I don't particularly care about the cut and what happened in between. I mean, we've all obviously seen much, much worse being done to dogs. I'm not outraged - just disappointed. But I still think that kind of behavior is over the line and not okay, especially when there are a lot of other things they could've done to accomplish the same shot.

I saw this too. My plan is to pirate the movie whenever I can instead of financially supporting it. ;)

It seems like they were using the "flooding" technique (both literally and figuratively I guess, heh) which is not very frequently used anymore for things like this.

Most of the people I saw discussing it also focused on the fact that this is just a video we saw of what happened when filming this movie, but we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes of a lot of movies and in fact if we really knew what was on the other side of those cameras sometimes, both in human and animal "abuses" we probably wouldn't be able to watch anything with a clear conscience.

I saw this response on tumblr:

Dang, so apparently my link doesn't work. I'm on mobile so I'll try again in a bit.

Feeling really down about a case today where I just feel like I wasn't at my best. Owner finances played a part but I also just think this is one I might beat myself over for a bit. Ultimately the outcome likely would have been the same but I just feel like it could have been handled better.

Last edited:
One of the interns was on a soapbox again today about how no one could complain about working a lot of hours because no one works as many hours as the interns...

If I hear it one more time from any of them I'm going to have to say something. The interns signed up for that. The technicians signed up for 40 hours a week and if they don't want to let the clinic dominate their lives because they actually have lives outside work, I understand that. I don't have much of a life but I definitely struggle balancing going to school and working 40+ hours and trying to ride my horse. My whole life is not the clinic (no matter how much I want the experience and want to go to vet school, the reality is at the moment I am not in vet school and this is a job) and neither is any of the other technicians.

One of the interns was on a soapbox again today about how no one could complain about working a lot of hours because no one works as many hours as the interns...

If I hear it one more time from any of them I'm going to have to say something. The interns signed up for that. The technicians signed up for 40 hours a week and if they don't want to let the clinic dominate their lives because they actually have lives outside work, I understand that. I don't have much of a life but I definitely struggle balancing going to school and working 40+ hours and trying to ride my horse. My whole life is not the clinic (no matter how much I want the experience and want to go to vet school, the reality is at the moment I am not in vet school and this is a job) and neither is any of the other technicians.

The interns whole life also isn't the clinic, they also deserve to enjoy time away but often can't due to the hours they work. Yes it is annoying to hear people complain, perhaps some more sympathy is needed here instead of annoyance though. You just wait until you've worked 80+ hours per week with no sleep maybe then you'll get it. I hope you do an internship and have some tech "talk to you" as you are describing you will do above, you wouldn't tolerate it and neither should they.

I feel like being a tech isn't a straightforward 40 hour a week job and that's something people need to realize before accepting a job. I understand family needs and having commitments 100% but when we are serving patients you can't just all of a sudden quit and leave because your shift is over. As a doctor I'll take every step possible to get you done on time and minimize your overtime, but if I need help to stay late and monitor/restrain/treat patients, someone's got to stay and help. In larger hospitals with more staff it might be more possible to just go and have someone take over but you can't abandon a patient. If you only want 40 hours no more no less get a desk job and not one that requires patient care and varies day to day. If you need that firm 40 hour workweek, vet med may not be the right choice for you (generic you not specified towards a single person) at this point in your life.

Officially staying off of social media (excluding this) for the rest of the day, possibly the weekend so I don't end up fighting with my family and friends

Officially staying off of social media (excluding this) for the rest of the day, possibly the weekend so I don't end up fighting with my family and friends
I mean, my stepdad has already called a well known civil rights leader a racist for not attending the inauguration, so things can only go downhill from here. I'm taking a nap.

Politics brings out the idiots and the irrational from all sides. Social media gives them a soapbox.

They're doing it for attention just ignore them

Election decided the results months ago. Regardless of political stance, people need to accept that this was the result (for better or for worse) and focus on the future.

I haven't seen any silliness on Facebook yet today, and I hope it stays that way.

Election decided the results months ago. Regardless of political stance, people need to accept that this was the result (for better or for worse) and focus on the future.

I haven't seen any silliness on Facebook yet today, and I hope it stays that way.

Lucky you. That's why I'm staying away now. Gonna color and watch Netflix. But that's not new

My workplace is heavy Republican, minus a sweet British tech. My bosses' wife helped run Trump's local campaign in the area. Inauguration stuff was on in our treatment area all morning and the snide comments are a pain in the ass... but nothing to do but keep my head down and live with it I suppose.

FB I just ignore.

Reactions: 4 users
My workplace is heavy Republican, minus a sweet British tech. My bosses' wife helped run Trump's local campaign in the area. Inauguration stuff was on in our treatment area all morning and the snide comments are a pain in the ass... but nothing to do but keep my head down and live with it I suppose.

FB I just ignore.
Snide comments directed at you, or just directed at politics/the election?

If they are directing them at you that is completely inappropriate workplace etiquette.