RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He says the extra 5k is to help him get a lawyer.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea!

A few people questioned him as to whether it was real and a couple people popped up before being erased that said things like "I hope you rot!" Which kinda lent it credence in my mind...

I know the long timers get Internet access, but no idea about the shorter term lock ups.
What's the longest length of time someone can be kept in a jail though? I don't know why but I always think of jails as short term incarceration and prison as long term.

Members don't see this ad :)
theres a city called Hell in michigan, so ive facebooked from Hell before too
I was just referring to the fact that I've definitely posted facebook updates from nowhere Oklahoma, nowhere Missouri, nowhere Texas, and nowhere New Mexico before and I'm pretty sure all of those places qualify at least a little.

Reactions: 1 user
I was just referring to the fact that I've definitely posted facebook updates from nowhere Oklahoma, nowhere Missouri, nowhere Texas, and nowhere New Mexico before and I'm pretty sure all of those places qualify at least a little.
i know;)
but it's more fun to say youve ACTUALLY been to Hell

Their family dog also died (all I know is it was put down with a $400 vet bill) 2 days ago. My guess from some of the replies to the girlfriend was hit by car.

My brother has been running a marijuana extract business in CA and just moved east to one of the states that just voted to allow recreational use.

He also has a crazy temper, sometimes violent and we have family history of both diagnosed schizophrenia and undiagnosed (likely manic-depressive bipolar) mental illness. My brother claims some of these traits but says he controls them by adjusting his diet to remove gluten and by smoking pot.

It is trouble just expected to happen.

48h i think before they actually have to charge you or let you go? im a bit rusty from 8th grade when we learned that
That's referring to once they actually arrest you - and you're right, it's a violation of your rights to be detained for an unreasonable length of time without being formally charged.

I was referring to the length of incarceration/sentences, though - I generally thought that jails were for people serving sentences <~1 year and prisons were for sentences longer than that. (I should also mention jails are generally local and prisons tend to be state or federal, so severity/type of crime may move someone from one to another as well I suspect).

What's the longest length of time someone can be kept in a jail though? I don't know why but I always think of jails as short term incarceration and prison as long term.

Um isn't that part of your rights? You get that for free.

48h i think before they actually have to charge you or let you go? im a bit rusty from 8th grade when we learned that

My understanding is that it varies by state, but that is only without being charged. If they set bail, he has been charged. In which case he can be held until trial or bond is paid.

Reactions: 1 users
Their family dog also died (all I know is it was put down with a $400 vet bill) 2 days ago. My guess from some of the replies to the girlfriend was hit by car.

My brother has been running a marijuana extract business in CA and just moved east to one of the states that just voted to allow recreational use.

He also has a crazy temper, sometimes violent and we have family history of both diagnosed schizophrenia and undiagnosed (likely manic-depressive bipolar) mental illness. My brother claims some of these traits but says he controls them by adjusting his diet to remove gluten and by smoking pot.

It is trouble just expected to happen.
I'm sorry to hear that. :( I have an extensive history of mental illness in my family as well and it has resulted in more than our fair share of arrests, institutionalizations, and hospital visits. I wish it were easier to convince our loved ones that controlling certain issues without the help of medical professionals is simply beyond our capabilities sometimes.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's referring to once they actually arrest you - and you're right, it's a violation of your rights to be detained for an unreasonable length of time without being formally charged.

I was referring to the length of incarceration/sentences, though - I generally thought that jails were for people serving sentences <~1 year and prisons were for sentences longer than that. (I should also mention jails are generally local and prisons tend to be state or federal, so severity/type of crime may move someone from one to another as well I suspect).
This

Well, just went back to check on status. His post is gone. GF posted that he is out. The bail got dropped to $500. Still no idea what actually happened.

My parents have insisted on coming with me to interviews this weekend to help me with the 13+ hour drive I'll be making in a single day. Although I am grateful, I'm already irritated about this because my parents are not very pleasant people. They have been quite the cause for an emotionally abusive childhood and my current struggles with depression, and frankly, I would rather do all the driving myself if it meant avoiding them during those two days of high stress.

My younger sister is the same way, except even though she's dropped out of school, very much nearly failed out of high school, and literally does nothing but sleep and do **** on her computer, she is god's gift and can do no wrong and is never held responsible for a single thing. Like, she isn't even tasked with taking the dog outside for a bathroom break. It's not unexpected to come home to dog accidents when she had been home the whole time. They finally got her into a medical billing program, but she hasn't told anyone if she passed her first semester or not. She's a very high functioning autistic, but unfortunately uses that as a reason to do nothing.

If you want to vent, you know where to find me. Families can suck sometimes.

Are you me? That sounds exactly like my little sister used to be. Dropped out of high school after being put in the juvenile detention school, did nothing for years. Something clicked in her twenties and now she's getting her doctorate from Northwestern so things can change unexpectedly. Very proud of her.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are you me? That sounds exactly like my little sister used to be. Dropped out of high school after being put in the juvenile detention school, did nothing for years. Something clicked in her twenties and now she's getting her doctorate from Northwestern so things can change unexpectedly. Very proud of her.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That's awesome! My sister never got into trouble, she just does absolutely nothing. I can't imagine her having a job in the real world, as she's never had one that wasn't babysitting a cousin (to which we weren't even 100% comfortable with, but the kids were older). My parents already know she will never likely live on her own. Middle child syndrome here, but I'm awestruck at how it's all unfolded. My parents completely enable her. I was made to feel like a failure because I 'only' got a 30 on my ACT in high school, they had to beg her school to not kick her out. Yet, when she wants something, it appears magically. Whatevs, she chose this path. She's starting to complain that she has no friends outside of whatever internet stuff she's doing, so I think she's starting to see the reality of her situation. No one can make friends appear for her.

I just don't want to have to take care of her in 40 years, as heartless as that sounds. She's fully capable and in no way unintelligent.

I try not to respond to stupid things people post on Facebook but this afternoon an acquaintance posted a meme of the twin towers burning that read, "Adult college students need therapy because their candidate lost the election" and "In high school we watched 3000 people die on live TV and finished our lives without therapy."

I was in high school in 2001 and know for a fact that grief counseling was offered to students after 9/11 all over the country. I also know from my public health courses dealing with mental health that the cases of PTSD and anxiety disorders skyrocketed post 9/11. So no, people didn't exactly come away mentally unscathed from that event. What a weird little sentiment to push, too. My trauma is better than your trauma, so stop complaining. Funny, I didn't realize that it was a competition.

What's all kinds of ****ed up is that the person who posted this majored in psychology, so, presumably, she should know better.

Reactions: 12 users
I saw that too, and also another that mentioned Columbia (space shuttle) instead. It's kinda crappy, no matter what you think of Trump, Liberals, or anything in between.

I don't usually mind snow, but I'm driving to meet a friend I haven't seen in a long time tomorrow and we have an advisory out until tomorrow afternoon. I hate driving in snow and I'm also concerned the roads won't be cleared well since it'll still be coming down when I leave.

I'm going to continue to enjoy being able to use my windshield wipers to remove a wee bit of frost/condensation from the window in the morning. So glad I don't have to scrape anything off my car or shovel snow.

Reactions: 6 users
SooOOoOOooOoooooo pretty officially NOT going to vet school this fall~~~~now to decide what I'm gonna do after graduation!

Going through a rough patch at my internship right now. Feeling like a failure.

I've got 2 feet and -20 and below at night with day highs not getting over 2 degrees F. You can have my snow.

(Moving in this crap would have sucked, but now the new job is delaying over fears that there would be a gap in my health insurance while I changed jobs while brooding. I wanted a warmer weather :( )

SooOOoOOooOoooooo pretty officially NOT going to vet school this fall~~~~now to decide what I'm gonna do after graduation!
I feel for you and understand your feelings of disappointment - sorry. Hope you do whatever you need to do to regroup - in mind, body and spirit - and apply the following cycle.

Reactions: 8 users
Speaking of weather-related woes... plows did a good job clearing snow here but not nearly as good of a job treating ice. Lost control driving several times and actually ended up on a curb at one point. Thankfully no damage to me or the car and I was able to continue on my way, but I'm still shaking with nerves. Gah.

Reactions: 2 users
Going through a rough patch at my internship right now. Feeling like a failure.
Although I do not know what type of "rough patch" you're going through right now, it's safe to say that everyone I know, including myself, encounters rough patches at various times in our careers. As hard as it might be, try to shake off any feelings of self-doubt and focus on what you need to do to persevere and move forward in your internship. A "rough patch" does not equal failure. It's already hard enough to be a veterinary student; you don't need to make it any harder on yourself. To be honest, every practicing physician and veterinarian I know has said the same thing to me ("I had a terrible day today and nothing went well"), but after drinking a steaming mug of hot chocolate, they often feel better. So, I'm prescribing a mug of hot chocolate for you! Hope it helps. :)

HotChocolate.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Fan on the heater died. House smells of fire. We are cleaning quick so we don't feel embarrassed to have the landlord over before the heater bursts into flames (just got back from bringing kid to school and buying more supplies to keep critters warm since it is -16 out)

I want some snerw...
We got 26" last week! I'd be glad to loan you some.

Getting the rejection letter from Cornell hurts even though I knew it was a longshot to get in. I'm going to drown my sorrows beer and rogue one.

We got 26" last week! I'd be glad to loan you some.

Getting the rejection letter from Cornell hurts even though I knew it was a longshot to get in. I'm going to drown my sorrows beer and rogue one.

Sorry about the rejection. Least you have beer

Seriously doubting myself and wondering if vet school is really what I want... and if it's worth all this debt... thinking about leaving before I'm $100k in the hole and pursuing something else with an actually halfway decent salary.

I just don't even know anymore and I am so frustrated. Ugh.

I know a vet who changed careers after practicing for a couple of years. Whatever you decide just be sure it's the right choice for you. You're smart enough and capable enough to graduate vet school if that's what you want, don't let Imposter Syndrome or stress or nutty classmates or whatever bring down you or your dreams

Reactions: 10 users
I know a vet who changed careers after practicing for a couple of years. Whatever you decide just be sure it's the right choice for you. You're smart enough and capable enough to graduate vet school if that's what you want, don't let Imposter Syndrome or stress or nutty classmates or whatever bring down you or your dreams
Thank you. :) I'm not quite sure yet what I am going to do. The profession I'm looking at currently pays better than vet med (and it possible to break six figures out of school) and typically has less educational debt. If I were to leave after this semester, I'd still be under $90k in debt including both my five years of undergrad and my first year of vet school. I just... I guess I need to explore it and discuss it with others some more.

I do enjoy vet med, but now that I'm reevaluating whether or not I love it enough to go $200k in debt for it... I'm not so sure if it's the best option for me.

But I would also feel awful and like a failure if i left. So many people were so excited for me and I'd hate to let them down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. :) I'm not quite sure yet what I am going to do. The profession I'm looking at currently pays better than vet med (and it possible to break six figures out of school) and typically has less educational debt. If I were to leave after this semester, I'd still be under $90k in debt including both my five years of undergrad and my first year of vet school. I just... I guess I need to explore it and discuss it with others some more.

I do enjoy vet med, but now that I'm reevaluating whether or not I love it enough to go $200k in debt for it... I'm not so sure if it's the best option for me.

But I would also feel awful and like a failure if i left. So many people were so excited for me and I'd hate to let them down.
You're not letting anyone down to know that vet school isn't for you.

If you think you'd be happy in that other profession, I say go for it. If you ever need to chat, you know where to find me

Reactions: 15 users
Grubhub is such a disappointment lately. Had a rough day where I struggled with things that shouldn't have been difficult in my patients and I just wanted sushi. They cancelled my order and won't tell me why. I just want sushi :(

Fan that runs heater definitely broken. Landlord tried to run it into town before the repair shop closed. House is down to 54 after 2-3 hours (so inefficient, we ran through $260 propane in less than a month)

Landlord is headed back now, hopefully with a repaired fan. Otherwise, I gotta drive the 40 minutes into town (then back) to get some space heaters.

Nooooooooooooo!!!! I was really rooting for you. :( I might be in that same boat, just waiting to hear back from one.

Aw, thanks, that means a lot! Yeah. It's completely official now. I only applied to 4 which I regret now, but I did anticipate having to reapply so I didn't want to spend over $1k to get rejected across the board (spend almost that anyway, lol).

Best of luck hearing from your last school!! I'm rooting for you as well!