RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Blargh. Wasn't feeling good yesterday, still not feeling good today :grumpy:

Members don't see this ad.

We have heat! Landlord brought the fan in. They thought he was nuts. They told him they could order one and have it here tomorrow. Then somebody remembered they had a similar universal motor in a truck out back.... so they replaced the motor and while we had to rewire a little bit once it got back here, we have heat!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Cornell rejection really hurt today as they are my IS and undergrad school. I know Tufts and Penn rejections are coming... I knew I probably wouldn't get in this cycle and now I regret spending the money on apps. Oh well, a gap year might be just what I need. Now time to drink wine haha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We have heat! Landlord brought the fan in. They thought he was nuts. They told him they could order one and have it here tomorrow. Then somebody remembered they had a similar universal motor in a truck out back.... so they replaced the motor and while we had to rewire a little bit once it got back here, we have heat!!!!
YAYYYYYY!!!

I'm so mad, I ordered this really nice light box for my mom and it arrived today completely smashed all to hell. This is why I hate getting things shipped from China and why I'm always frustrated by USPS. I just wanted my mom to have a nice birthday/Christmas present but I think I'm just going to get a refund because it'd be a waste to make her wait over two months for a stupid present that's probably just going to arrive broken again. :(

Long distance is stupid. Mr. Z has a job interview tomorrow and I should be really happy for him, but it's for a job here in FL. So, trying to be happy because he's had a tough time finding anything and he could actually get this job, but all I can think about is being hundreds of miles away for who knows how long. Bleh.

Long distance is stupid. Mr. Z has a job interview tomorrow and I should be really happy for him, but it's for a job here in FL. So, trying to be happy because he's had a tough time finding anything and he could actually get this job, but all I can think about is being hundreds of miles away for who knows how long. Bleh.

Distance is no bueno, but hopefully it's something that suits him and is what he's looking for? My husband is active duty and will be stationed a ~5 hours away from where I'll likely be going to school. But hey, at least it's not Guam? End goals

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Distance is no bueno, but hopefully it's something that suits him and is what he's looking for? My husband is active duty and will be stationed a ~5 hours away from where I'll likely be going to school. But hey, at least it's not Guam? End goals

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah. Things just aren't working out how we planned, that's all. Always a silver lining though - at least we're not 12 hours apart like we were when I was in undergrad.

Reactions: 1 users
And even if he does get the job and it's long distance, it'll only be temporary.
Will it? :laugh:

Idk. The goal posts keep moving. It was supposed to only be undergrad. Then it was supposed to just be a couple months into my first semester of vet school. Now, who knows.

Idk. The goal posts keep moving. It was supposed to only be undergrad. Then it was supposed to just be a couple months into my first semester of vet school. Now, who knows.
My wife is currently trying to find her first job post school and babies. And having a really tough time. Getting some time and experience in a bigger (better?) engineering market in Florida may open some doors later on for a move closer to your school.

Reactions: 4 users
Aw, thanks, that means a lot! Yeah. It's completely official now. I only applied to 4 which I regret now, but I did anticipate having to reapply so I didn't want to spend over $1k to get rejected across the board (spend almost that anyway, lol).

Best of luck hearing from your last school!! I'm rooting for you as well!

Cornell rejection really hurt today as they are my IS and undergrad school. I know Tufts and Penn rejections are coming... I knew I probably wouldn't get in this cycle and now I regret spending the money on apps. Oh well, a gap year might be just what I need. Now time to drink wine haha

I'm sorry. :( Rejection is hard, no matter how much you try to prepare yourself. But your time/money/mental health haven't been wasted. You have nine months until applications close for next cycle - get out there, do file reviews, make a plan, and improve your application. Action will help shake away the rejection blues.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there no jobs for him by your school?
Apparently not, at least not right now. He's still looking but...no responses so far.

My wife is currently trying to find her first job post school and babies. And having a really tough time. Getting some time and experience in a bigger (better?) engineering market in Florida may open some doors later on for a move closer to your school.
Yeah, that's the idea, and why he started looking in FL. He's going to be taking some extra certification exam sometime in the next few months so hopefully that will help too.

Reactions: 2 users

Ugh that is so hard. Sending hugs your way.

Ugh this is literally my worst nightmare, I'm holding out hope for you and yours. Did you try a headhunter? The good ones get paid by the companies not you, and that's how my husband found a job after a while of unemployment.

Ugh this is literally my worst nightmare, I'm holding out hope for you and yours. Did you try a headhunter? The good ones get paid by the companies not you, and that's how my husband found a job after a while of unemployment.
I don't think he's tried that yet, I'll have to suggest it

Headhunter just sounds like a bounty hunter to me haha

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry @WildZoo I really feel your pain. This is the third round of long distance for us, the first two were only three or so months, but it sucks. Like you said to me yesterday when I was complaining about the same thing, I'm always here if you need an ear.

I just... I guess I need to explore it and discuss it with others some more.

I do enjoy vet med, but now that I'm reevaluating whether or not I love it enough to go $200k in debt for it... I'm not so sure if it's the best option for me.
@SandstormDVM, you are not a "failure" so kindly try to erase that pesky word from your vocabulary, okay?

Next, I agree with you: it's a good idea to discuss your thoughts, feelings and concerns with other people - especially with other veterinarians (young and old) who may have asked themselves similar questions about a career in veterinary medicine. As you already know, many other professional careers are also burdened with significant student debt (e.g., medicine, dentistry, law). When an individual is grappling with the pros-and-cons/ups-and-downs of their career path, I often ask them the following question: do you see yourself being in your chosen career (e.g., medicine, law, dentistry, veterinary medicine) for the next 20, 30, 40, 50 years of your life, even though it will cost you A LOT of time, sacrifice, and money to get there? Many times, this type of question often encourages them to do a lot of serious thinking. Sometimes, they decide that the grass isn't greener on the other side ... or they seek a temporary leave of absence to figure things out. As mentioned by @dyachei, if you choose to pursue a different career, that's your choice, and you're not letting anyone down. After all, this is your life and you owe it to yourself to enjoy a happy, healthy, and secure life. Hope you find some peace and comfort ... I wish you the best! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
I don't think he's tried that yet, I'll have to suggest it

Sorry @WildZoo I really feel your pain. This is the third round of long distance for us, the first two were only three or so months, but it sucks. Like you said to me yesterday when I was complaining about the same thing, I'm always here if you need an ear.

Feeling the pain as well. My boyfriend's and my running joke is "See you when we're 30!" -_- But it's so true. With me going to school in Grenada and wanting to specialize after graduation, and him being Air Force, it's going to be super difficult to coordinate being in the same place at the same time :( It sucks but hopefully it will work out for all of us eventually...

So, it took from 6pm last night to 5:30 am to get the house from about 50 degrees to 67. The heater ran continuously. I think something still isn't right.

Someone called my parents house phone at 4:30am, then my school called my cell phone to tell me campus is closed today at 5:30am, then kitten came and laid down on my face at 6am. Apparently sleep is for the weak today.

Have my IS interview this afternoon and I woke up running a fever again today. Feel like total crap. Might be time to go back to the doctor tomorrow. :(

Update: He got the job and starts next week. Still bittersweet, but I really am happy for him. Being unemployed has been very rough on him the last few months. Hopefully this will help him find something in TN sometime soon.

Reactions: 13 users

This is my fear as well. My boyfriend only has ~2 semesters left of undergrad, but then he'll be looking at grad school and who knows where he'll get accepted. Best case scenario he'll come to K-State, but he doesn't particularly want to live in Kansas. So if he gets into a PhD program somewhere else, we may not be able to live together even once I graduate, because who knows where I'll be able to find a job. There's just so many variables. :grumpy:

Before him/early in our relationship I told myself I'd never do long-distance again, especially not without a definite endpoint, but things changed. :laugh: But we made it though a semester of him being in China pretty well, I only had like 2 breakdowns, so I guess I'm optimistic. At least for the next couple semesters we'll only be five hours apart, and in the same time zone!

Anyway, my point is I know what you're going through. Hopefully Mr. Dubz's job in FL will lead to something better in TN. :(

We're supposed to get 6-12 inches of snow today which is fine. However Providence apparently does not allow anyone to park on ANY street during snow storms. I 100% understand clearing every main street/snow emergency route but I think expecting an entire city to find parking elsewhere is a bit crazy. I dunno, they never did it in Philly. Issue is that I do have a parking spot but it is SIGNIFICANTLY easier for me to park on the street because the spot is really tight with the number of cars crammed in that small area. Now through in the weather and there is going to be no way for me to safely get my car out to go to work Monday afternoon.

The parking spot is sort of set up like a T in that there is a long driveway in between the two houses and then people park directly behind the houses. Two people park on spots along the driveway and I have a strong feeling I will end up sliding into one of those when I leave...

To everyone going through LDR right now: big hugs. We did four years - more than some of you, less than some of you - and it sucked. Life on the other side is so worth it, though. Always here to lend an understanding ear.

Reactions: 9 users
Was in some serious need of horsie time but the roads are too bad to drive to the barn :( ugh just wanna ride my ponyyyyy

Wondering if I'm not cut out to be a vet :( Did fine in clinics, but not doing well in my internship. Keep making mistakes and should be feeling more doctorly by now. Not sure how to fix things, and for a type A, it's really stressing me out...

Another snow derived rant. Roomie's bf is apparently staying this weekend, which is totally fine except for the fact that he lives OOS and has his car here. We technically only have two spots associated with our apartment for cars. His car is currently taking up one of those spots. They are gone and she's like "oh we'll figure it out when we get back." Issue is that everyone now has to park back there and more cars that I have never known to be associated with our building are appearing back there. Also, she hasn't lived in NE for years and hasn't had to deal with snow for a while.

Landlord has arranged for a plow to come and do the driveway after the storm and but that entails everyone moving their cars out of the already super narrow drive way so the plow to come. I think I'm just going to shovel the effing thing cause this is going to be a disaster. Maybe I'm being over dramatic but I don't exactly get the option of just calling out of work because I can't get my car out of my driveway.

Also, for a New England state, I feel like they're a bit behind on their plowing/snow game.

Wondering if I'm not cut out to be a vet :( Did fine in clinics, but not doing well in my internship. Keep making mistakes and should be feeling more doctorly by now. Not sure how to fix things, and for a type A, it's really stressing me out...

I have days where I struggle as well. PM if you ever want to talk.

I have days where I struggle as well. PM if you ever want to talk.
Thanks. The higher ups are trying to help, but it's really frustrating for me. Every time I feel like I'm making progress, they find something to slap me back down with.

Thanks. The higher ups are trying to help, but it's really frustrating for me. Every time I feel like I'm making progress, they find something to slap me back down with.

I totally get that. I tend to have issues with one particular Dr here because we are just very, very different in how we practice and our personalities so I feel like I am just never doing things right whenever she's the "adult" for the day. Definitely an open ear if you ever just want to get things off your chest.

I understand the frustration - I make mistakes and I hate it. However, I also catch mistakes made by doctors that graduated vet school the year I was born. We are all human and mistakes WILL happen - even bad or deadly ones. That's part of being responsible for lives on a daily basis, unfortunately. You might reach out to some of the VIN support people...

Reactions: 5 users
This is a really weird thing to rant about, but my neopets account got frozen yesterday for no reason :grumpy:

:laugh:apparently it's an ongoing issue so I sent in a support ticket, because damned if i won't fight for a virtual pet account I've had since 2002

Reactions: 6 users
Everyone makes mistakes....it's how you learn from your mistakes (or learn from the mistakes of others) that sets you apart. Just do your best for your patients, ask for help when needed, and keep learning every day.

Feeling very down in the dumps right now. I feel like I'm being penalized for being low-income. I didn't decide to become a vet until sophomore year and during both my summer vet internships I also had to work a job. So my hours are a lot lower than others. During the school year, I also have a job, so the only animal hours I have are from Guiding Eyes for the Blind (I only puppy sit like 4 hours a week). And guess what? Because I have to work a job during the year, my GPA isn't that stellar, either. I have to work hard to get the grades I do. I've been rejected to 3 out of the 5 schools I've applied to. Waitlisted for interviews for one and heard nothing from the other. I finally found a career I love and I think it's slipping from my grasp. :(

/endrant

Feeling very down in the dumps right now. I feel like I'm being penalized for being low-income. I didn't decide to become a vet until sophomore year and during both my summer vet internships I also had to work a job. So my hours are a lot lower than others. During the school year, I also have a job, so the only animal hours I have are from Guiding Eyes for the Blind (I only puppy sit like 4 hours a week). And guess what? Because I have to work a job during the year, my GPA isn't that stellar, either. I have to work hard to get the grades I do. I've been rejected to 3 out of the 5 schools I've applied to. Waitlisted for interviews for one and heard nothing from the other. I finally found a career I love and I think it's slipping from my grasp. :(

/endrant
it's only 1 application cycle and most schools will take into account your schedule. It's hard to apply to vet med, but the average is like 2-3 application cycles.

/endrant

A gap year isn't always bad. I at times wish I had taken one so I could save up some money and make vet school finances a bit easier. If you have to, take a year to get more hours. See if you can find a paying job as something like a kennel tech or a vet assistant, depending on what state you're in. Don't give up just because it didn't happen the first time. If there is a will, there is a way.

/endrant
I'm in the same boat as you: 3 rejections, still waiting on 3 schools (one being Ross where I would probably decline an offer and take a gap year). You said in another forum that you go to Cornell, right? I'm there right now also and totally understand the pressure of feeling like you have to go to vet school right away. Tbh, I really didn't want to take a gap year at first, but now I'm not sure why I was so against it. It will actually be really helpful to get more hours, save money, and possibly retake classes and the GRE! Just do file reviews at your schools and make a plan to improve your application for the next cycle. If you want to stay in the Ithaca area, there are tons of opportunities to gain experience that are paid! I'm currently a veterinary assistant at a SA practice about 20 min away, and I have also worked at the equestrian center right off campus. But hey, you still have some hope for this cycle too :) Moral of the story is don't give up. I know it's hard... I'm having trouble right now also, but we'll end up where we're supposed to be eventually!

Reactions: 2 users
To everyone going through LDR right now: big hugs. We did four years - more than some of you, less than some of you - and it sucked. Life on the other side is so worth it, though. Always here to lend an understanding ear.

Same. Did 2 years back in grad school at the beginning of our relationship, and now we're long-distance again probably for my entire time at vet school because my husband really likes his job, and the only other place he can do it is even further away. I'm happy to chat with anyone who needs to vent about it.

I'm in the same boat as you: 3 rejections, still waiting on 3 schools (one being Ross where I would probably decline an offer and take a gap year). You said in another forum that you go to Cornell, right? I'm there right now also and totally understand the pressure of feeling like you have to go to vet school right away. Tbh, I really didn't want to take a gap year at first, but now I'm not sure why I was so against it. It will actually be really helpful to get more hours, save money, and possibly retake classes and the GRE! Just do file reviews at your schools and make a plan to improve your application for the next cycle. If you want to stay in the Ithaca area, there are tons of opportunities to gain experience that are paid! I'm currently a veterinary assistant at a SA practice about 20 min away, and I have also worked at the equestrian center right off campus. But hey, you still have some hope for this cycle too :) Moral of the story is don't give up. I know it's hard... I'm having trouble right now also, but we'll end up where we're supposed to be eventually!
I also went to Cornell undergrad. I took 2 gap years. It was the best decision ever. Don't feel pressured to go right away, make some money, get some experience, go some place new!

Found out we have at least one person leaving our class :( But they're joining the class below us so at least there is that
So sorry to hear, but at least they'll be joining the c/o 2021. It looks like we may have lost 3 according to our updated class roster... no idea if they're due to personal/health reasons or academics but apparently gaining readmission here is a PITA of a process so who knows if any of them are going to bother trying for it. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in November when it was 50 degrees, the heating in my building was out of control, and I couldn't adjust the radiator in my bedroom. I spent one night on the couch in the living room and was waking up every so often to wipe my face and arms with a damp washcloth to cool down. I spent several other nights that were around 40 degrees with the window open wide and a box fan stuck in it to bring the cool air in. Maintenance eventually got around to our work order and fixed everything, and we were able to shut off the radiators in the apartment even though the hallway was still a sauna.

Of course it figures now that it's actually cold and below 20 degrees, none of the g-d radiators in the whole building work. And my bedroom window doesn't close all the way because whoever installed it f-ed it up. This all happened because my husband asked me if I wanted to take the space heater with me, and I said no, the heating in that building is insane, so I won't need it. Best weekend ever.

Back in November when it was 50 degrees, the heating in my building was out of control, and I couldn't adjust the radiator in my bedroom. I spent one night on the couch in the living room and was waking up every so often to wipe my face and arms with a damp washcloth to cool down. I spent several other nights that were around 40 degrees with the window open wide and a box fan stuck in it to bring the cool air in. Maintenance eventually got around to our work order and fixed everything, and we were able to shut off the radiators in the apartment even though the hallway was still a sauna.

Of course it figures now that it's actually cold and below 20 degrees, none of the g-d radiators in the whole building work. And my bedroom window doesn't close all the way because whoever installed it f-ed it up. This all happened because my husband asked me if I wanted to take the space heater with me, and I said no, the heating in that building is insane, so I won't need it. Best weekend ever.
Are you in my undergrad dorm? ;)

And sorry, that sucks! Heated blankets are your best friends right now.