RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm so sorry KC :(

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty bummed...got a rare species in yesterday that was in pretty bad shape. Despite managing the crap out of it these last 24 hours, it gradually declined and stopped responding to any stimuli and we elected to euthanize. We're assuming severe infection +/- head trauma. I think the damage was done by the time it was brought to us, unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
This:
View attachment 217659

If you read it, it basically blames the rabies vaccine for causing something that they only insinuate is similar to autism. Most of the comments basically talk about the rise in thundershirts as being "proof" or general non- socialized animal behavior, or just plain typical terrier behavior. The people believing this don't seem to have experience with science or autism and are just chiming on about how this is another plot by the man. One theory is that now vets will market an autism vaccine!

Sometimes I just wanna throttle people! To me the whole piece sounds like it was written by a computer algorithm for how to speak to uninformed anti-vaxxers.:mad::boom::mad::bang:

That poorly-written insinuation would irk me, too. My stepson has Autism, and it hurts when people talk like they *really* know the daily struggles..... or that it is some plot against humanity, or in this case, some plot by the veterinary community...Hang in there. *hugs*:(

Rant: I don't know if it's test anxiety or what but omg I feel like my entire gut has been destroyed and I'm having to go use the restroom every like 10 minutes.

Rave: I finished my last pre-finals exam of the semester this morning. And now we have a whole 2 weeks to prepare for finals! Woo!

Rant: I feel like I totally bombed it. :dead:

Reactions: 3 users
I'm really sorry about everything you're dealing with, @kcoughli. :( You're always free to shoot me a message here or on FB if you need someone to talk/vent to.

Pretty bummed...got a rare species in yesterday that was in pretty bad shape. Despite managing the crap out of it these last 24 hours, it gradually declined and stopped responding to any stimuli and we elected to euthanize. We're assuming severe infection +/- head trauma. I think the damage was done by the time it was brought to us, unfortunately.
@pinkpuppy9 sorry to hear about the loss of a rare species. I'm sure your team tried their best to save its life, but despite your best efforts, its life could no longer be saved.

Are you free to disclose the name of the rare species?

In any event, very sorry ... and feeling your anguish! :cryi:

@pinkpuppy9 sorry to hear about the loss of a rare species. I'm sure your team tried their best to save its life, but despite your best efforts, its life could no longer be saved.

Are you free to disclose the name of the rare species?

In any event, very sorry ... and feeling your anguish! :cryi:
Northern Saw-Whet Owl. So not endangered or anything...but the second we've gotten into our clinic in it's history

Northern Saw-Whet Owl. So not endangered or anything...but the second we've gotten into our clinic in it's history
@pinkpuppy9 I found a photograph of a Northern Saw-Whet Owl (because I didn't know what it looked like in real life).

It is a beautiful bird!

I am so sorry you were unable to save the owl's life. :(

Northern Saw-whet Owl.jpg

Roomie A and I just tried to find a way to talk to other roomie (roomie B) about her dog. She recently started dating a guy who lives near Boston, which means she's been there/not around almost every weekend (even some weekdays). Therefor dog responsibilities have consistently been landing on us. Often it ends up landing on just me as my other roomie also has a bf near Boston and is out most weekends and I'm home cause I'm stuck working. We've had issues with this before when Roomie B had a job that required her to be at work from 4-10 Pm and she's always ask us to feed/walk her dog.

Neither of us mind helping from time to time, but it's not fair for it to become almost an expectation. I mean, one of the reasons I don't go on dates, go out frequently is because I have a dog and don't want to dump my responsibilities on them (although he is a lot less obnoxious and doesn't have frequent accidents within the house). So when we're watching her, the poor thing is stuck in her crate and she barks. At everything.

Roomie A did a pretty decent job of approaching the situation and coming up with possible solutions and of course Roomie B felt attacked. We knew she probably would. And of course she was planning on going away this Sunday to bf's to meet his family so she's freaking out now. I'll be around, but working all day, so it'll probably be on me to watch her.

Anyone else suffering from some major insomnia? I cannot fall asleep to save my life... I would say it's stress but this is the least stressed I've been in at least three years. Nothing to worry about with classes, work is great, my on campus job sucks at the moment (but not in any serious way). Anyone have any tips for conquering insomnia? At this rate, these last 26 days are going to be the death of me...:help::shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else suffering from some major insomnia? I cannot fall asleep to save my life... I would say it's stress but this is the least stressed I've been in at least three years. Nothing to worry about with classes, work is great, my on campus job sucks at the moment (but not in any serious way). Anyone have any tips for conquering insomnia? At this rate, these last 26 days are going to be the death of me...:help::shrug:

No screen time at all usually helps me.

Reactions: 2 users
I like listening to thunderstorm videos on YouTube. There's several ones that are 10 hours long and are perfect to close your eyes. But I feel you. Two weeks ago, when I was on prednisone I couldn't sleep at all. I would get an hour of sleep, maybe more- and I was mentally exhausted but physically tired to the point where I just couldn't sleep.

Reactions: 1 users

Things that help me (when I remember to use them):

- avoiding screens, or at least using a time-triggered blue light filter app on my computer and phone
- no caffeine, especially in the afternoon
- exercise, particularly early in the day
- melatonin

I agree with everyone above. If you're unfamiliar with it, "sleep hygiene" is the phrase to google. It sucks, but I find that treating myself like a little kid (strict bedtime/wake-up time, limited screen time, etc.) helps.

When I can't sleep, I listen to sleep or relaxation guided meditations on youtube. I find they really help, and I can recommend some if you'd like. Sometimes I listen to boring lectures, which helps if I need to focus on something a little to quiet my mind. I listen on my phone, but I use a blue light filter app and look at it as little as possible.

If I've had a number of bad nights in a row, I'll take benadryl or nyquil when I know I can sleep in a little. I'm careful to not sleep too much extra because that will throw my sleep schedule off more.

I also take a low dose of magnesium citrate (OTC) when my sleep hasn't been great- it doesn't knock me out, but it does help me sleep better. You can also try epsom salt baths- magnesium is absorbed transdermally!

Insomnia sucks but try not to focus on that- getting frustrated and thinking about it, whether when you're lying in bed at night or feeling tired during the day, just makes it worse. It takes time, but just keeping good habits and a consistent schedule is probably the best. I've also tried convincing myself I have pseudoinsomnia (it's a real thing!) and have had some limited success with that.

Anyone else having problems with the forums looking weird? Because if it's just me, that really sucks.
You can change the style at the very bottom. It'll say something like SDN Blue 2017, click it, and you can go back to the normal one.

You can change the style at the very bottom. It'll say something like SDN Blue 2017, click it, and you can go back to the normal one.
I'm still sad they took away the coffee style a year or so ago... though I kinda like the night style one!

Today our program helped put on the vet science portion of an area-wide high school FFA contest. The competition consisted of practicums and ID of instruments, anatomical organs, parasites, and live animal breed/species (why didn't this exist when I was in school??) Our job was to set up these stations and then monitor/judge/etc. during the contest.

We came in 2 groups. The first van (me) was the early group, we had to meet up for 6am departure and perform contest setup duties. The second van was the later group, for the people on kennel duty or have post-op treatments to carry out--they departed/arrived an hour later than us, and were meant to stay after the contest's end to perform takedown. The rant is--group 2 did not do their part. The contest ended up taking nearly 2 hours longer than anticipated, and as soon as it ended, that teacher promptly rounded the group up to leave. Not a single word about their assigned cleanup duties, they just straight up left the rest of us (ya know, the ones who'd been there since 6:30 setting up) to fend for ourselves, and cram all the equipment/supplies/organs/small animals into our van. Their reasoning was "to get to kennels/treatments", but that's a BS excuse as they didn't have to be back until 4:30 for that and it was only ~2:30. As if that weren't enough, they left behind one of their riders--didn't bother to check attendance before rushing to leave. Good thing we still had an open seat left.

All of us in the first group felt pretty betrayed at all this. One group should not have to be forced to take charge of all of the work, while the other gets to arrive later AND leave earlier, having performed no duties outside of the contest itself. I have no idea what possessed that instructor to do that, but I have a feeling there were fights over it. The teacher who drove our early van was understandably pissed at the situation and general lack of communication. Ugh, what was supposed to be a fun and interesting day out of the classroom became a tiring mess. So glad for the 3-day weekend coming up.

tl/dr other group bailed on us and left behind a person + all the cleanup for my group

I like my supervisor but she's too rigid with certain policies or she interprets them in the most stringent of ways.

Ex: I work for the state so I can't receive "gifts" from people who may be looking to do business with the state. No conflicts of interest or appearance of outside influences. Well, we have a conference coming up in a few weeks that is being sponsored by a pharmaceutical company and hosted by the city public health department. Lunch will be provided. According to my supervisor we can't eat this free lunch. Based on the stupid training videos I had to watch about conflicts of interest, I don't think her interpretation is accurate. A catered lunch that is being offered freely to hundreds of attendees is not really something of "value," like a free weekend in Aspen or an iPad would be. It's akin to a cup of complimentary coffee, which is something my training was okay with employees taking.

She also is very strict with her interpretation of the rules about conflict of interest and volunteering. So, I chose not to continue volunteering with a group run through the city public health department that deals with animal emergencies because she thought that might fall under conflict of interest issues. While the city public health department is a sub-grantee, the group I have volunteered with in the past has nothing to do with our grants nor is it in any way related to our program area (STD's). I am also not in a position to influence how we distribute grants so anyone trying to gain favor through me is wasting their time.

When people in my program tell these stories to people outside of my program, they just laugh at the absurdity of these things. Other people don't have supervisors like mine. Whenever I make it to a supervisory position, I will not be that rigid. Eat the damn free lunch. I won't question your professional integrity and I sure as hell hope it's worth more than a catered meal at a free conference. Government work is interesting.

Today our program helped put on the vet science portion of an area-wide high school FFA contest. The competition consisted of practicums and ID of instruments, anatomical organs, parasites, and live animal breed/species (why didn't this exist when I was in school??) Our job was to set up these stations and then monitor/judge/etc. during the contest.

We came in 2 groups. The first van (me) was the early group, we had to meet up for 6am departure and perform contest setup duties. The second van was the later group, for the people on kennel duty or have post-op treatments to carry out--they departed/arrived an hour later than us, and were meant to stay after the contest's end to perform takedown. The rant is--group 2 did not do their part. The contest ended up taking nearly 2 hours longer than anticipated, and as soon as it ended, that teacher promptly rounded the group up to leave. Not a single word about their assigned cleanup duties, they just straight up left the rest of us (ya know, the ones who'd been there since 6:30 setting up) to fend for ourselves, and cram all the equipment/supplies/organs/small animals into our van. Their reasoning was "to get to kennels/treatments", but that's a BS excuse as they didn't have to be back until 4:30 for that and it was only ~2:30. As if that weren't enough, they left behind one of their riders--didn't bother to check attendance before rushing to leave. Good thing we still had an open seat left.

All of us in the first group felt pretty betrayed at all this. One group should not have to be forced to take charge of all of the work, while the other gets to arrive later AND leave earlier, having performed no duties outside of the contest itself. I have no idea what possessed that instructor to do that, but I have a feeling there were fights over it. The teacher who drove our early van was understandably pissed at the situation and general lack of communication. Ugh, what was supposed to be a fun and interesting day out of the classroom became a tiring mess. So glad for the 3-day weekend coming up.

tl/dr other group bailed on us and left behind a person + all the cleanup for my group
Dannnnng. That's frustrating. Good news is that you were one of the professional, responsible people who stayed and cleaned up the other group's ****. That only reflects well on your group.

Reactions: 4 users
I like my supervisor but she's too rigid with certain policies or she interprets them in the most stringent of ways.

Ex: I work for the state so I can't receive "gifts" from people who may be looking to do business with the state. No conflicts of interest or appearance of outside influences. Well, we have a conference coming up in a few weeks that is being sponsored by a pharmaceutical company and hosted by the city public health department. Lunch will be provided. According to my supervisor we can't eat this free lunch. Based on the stupid training videos I had to watch about conflicts of interest, I don't think her interpretation is accurate. A catered lunch that is being offered freely to hundreds of attendees is not really something of "value," like a free weekend in Aspen or an iPad would be. It's akin to a cup of complimentary coffee, which is something my training was okay with employees taking.
Ha, I wonder if I had to watch the same training thing that you did? Either way, yes, I'm pretty sure I remember it explicitly stating that events with catered meals are fine--it's not like you're getting a personal reservation/meal at a high end restaurant. I think it also mentioned something about gifts staying under a specific dollar value, which a mass catered lunch definitely would be. She should think about (re)taking those for herself.

Dannnnng. That's frustrating. Good news is that you were one of the professional, responsible people who stayed and cleaned up the other group's ****. That only reflects well on your group.
In a way I can't really fault the classmates (they're at the mercy of their driver after all, and that teacher made the call to leave)...but then again, they did allow her to leave without one of their group members. :p LOL, there was an email from the head tech when I got home and I thought it might say something like "sorry about the confusion at the end" but it was just a "thanks everyone, couldn't have done it without your help" kinda thing.

Well, that is mildly terrifying. I had a head ache (not migraine) for close to five days once and it was terrible. I'll note this for future occurrences. Definitely get checked out @hedgiehog if you aren't feeling better.
I had a headache for a week and it ended up being due to a blood clot in one of the veins in my brain so I don't mess around with that stuff anymore :lame:

Reactions: 3 users
People annoy me sometimes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So I finally convinced myself to go out and buy a Nintendo Switch, and of course it is completely sold out everywhere for probably several weeks/months....

Boo :mad:

So I finally convinced myself to go out and buy a Nintendo Switch, and of course it is completely sold out everywhere for probably several weeks/months....

Boo :mad:
Reportedly, they are supposed to get more in stock after Easter... Stalk the Gamestop facebook page. That's how I ended up with mine (well, waited in line before a Gamestop opened that day, too).

I was sitting on the couch at the house where I pet sit and one of the dogs jumped on the couch and was trying to go near the top of the couch when her paw got caught in my hair. I was trying to get it separated when she jerked and ripped a 1/2 square inch chunk of my hair out, roots and all. :rage:

(Also it really hurt. :arghh:)

I was sitting on the couch at the house where I pet sit and one of the dogs jumped on the couch and was trying to go near the top of the couch when her paw got caught in my hair. I was trying to get it separated when she jerked and ripped a 1/2 square inch chunk of my hair out, roots and all. :rage:

(Also it really hurt. :arghh:)
Eggs have hair???

(That sounds really painful I'm sorry)

Reportedly, they are supposed to get more in stock after Easter... Stalk the Gamestop facebook page. That's how I ended up with mine (well, waited in line before a Gamestop opened that day, too).

Iirc GameStop is filing for bankruptcy and shutting down a ton of stores so you may have better luck trolling Best Buy

Apparently you can get blisters under your toenails. Common in runners, which I am thoroughly not, but apparently also a possible consequence of new heels. Serves me right for trying to dress up for work.

Discovered today that the deadline to submit a case for a special clin path discussion session at the annual pathology conference has been moved up a month. 2nd year residents are expected to present...or at the very least submit something to the committee in an attempt to be able to present. Historically, it's been due June 1. This year it's May 1, which even my faculty didn't realize. So now I have to write an entire case report in the next ten days. Tomorrow is my school's open house, and all next week I'm the primary resident on clinics. This is going to be a rough week scrambling to get everything done. Thank goodness I already had a case picked out and have all 120 slides already prepared.

My parents & brother had to euthanize our dog today. He would have turned 16 tomorrow. I was hoping (I knew probably in vain) for another Christmas, since I'm not on call for Christmas for the first time in 4 years, and finally will be able to go back West for the holiday this year.
image.jpg

My parents & brother had to euthanize our dog today. He would have turned 16 tomorrow. I was hoping (I knew probably in vain) for another Christmas, since I'm not on call for Christmas for the first time in 4 years, and finally will be able to go back West for the holiday this year.
image.jpg
I'm sorry variegata<3

Gotta love it when your school sends out as super passive aggressive email (with the dean cc'd) about how we're all going to fail out of school since we're struggling with certain aspects of the skills exam we took a few weeks ago (we're now repeating any stations we made errors on). The grading was so subjective on that exam that it was ridiculous. Apparently two people can make identical mistakes and only one will be forced to repeat.

And my toad died. And my roommate got into a car accident.
image.jpg
I'm so sorry :(

In a startling display of mischievousness, my cat dragged my taxes to the front of his perfectly clean litter box and then peed on them.

I think he's still upset that I didn't give him dinner last night after he broke into my roommate's cat food store and gorged himself.

Reactions: 5 users
In a startling display of mischievousness, my cat dragged my taxes to the front of his perfectly clean litter box and then peed on them.

I think he's still upset that I didn't give him dinner last night after he broke into my roommate's cat food store and gorged himself.
sounds like your cat may be trying to make a political statement.

Sorry for your loss, variegata. He had a very long life.

image.jpg
I'm so sorry for your loss :(
Gotta love it when your school sends out as super passive aggressive email (with the dean cc'd) about how we're all going to fail out of school since we're struggling with certain aspects of the skills exam we took a few weeks ago (we're now repeating any stations we made errors on). The grading was so subjective on that exam that it was ridiculous. Apparently two people can make identical mistakes and only one will be forced to repeat.

And my toad died. And my roommate got into a car accident.
When it rains it pours. Sorry about your school stuff and your toad :( is your roommate ok?

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

When it rains it pours. Sorry about your school stuff and your toad :( is your roommate ok?
Yes, she's fine and no one else was hurt, just the first five seconds of the "I got in a car accident, can you come get me?" call is nerve wracking! All of the badness does seem to happen at once, and as expected, right before exams.

This may be a trivial rant, but I hate it when stores have inconsistent sizing in their own brands. I expect measurements between brands to get weird, but within a single brand is just poor design and quality control.

This may be a trivial rant, but I hate it when stores have inconsistent sizing in their own brands. I expect measurements between brands to get weird, but within a single brand is just poor design and quality control.
I hate that too, especially when you're ordering online. Also when they have measurements online, and you match those measurements, but the clothes still don't fit.

I packed up my stuff and my kitty and came my parents for a few days so that I could give my now ex boyfriend some space. Hadn't heard from him in over a day so I called and he said he packed up his stuff and left.

I guess it's fine but I have no idea how to live alone anymore and I'm just not sure what I'm going to do from here or how I'm supposed to go home to an empty house.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

You have to be happy single, hence, you will enjoy living alone. Do not let a man control your happiness. Happiness comes from within.

You have to be happy single, hence, you will enjoy living alone. Do not let a man control your happiness. Happiness comes from within.
Do you realize this post is from July??