RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...and as I rant about rankings, a vet student makes their case for them mattering over in one of the other threads... I highly disagree. Why am I still up you ask? Good question.:yeahright:
Oh yes, I see now. Sorry for the hassle nooblet, but some people are hard headed, we must learn to work with them all regardless of our differences.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh yes, I see now. Sorry for the hassle nooblet, but some people are hard headed, we must learn to work with them all regardless of our differences.
I couldn't resist temptation, but hopefully a discussion in a way that the OP of the original question takes into account all sides of that discussion and determines the value of it for themselves whatever that may be. I mean hopefully they would've without Lyra or I giving the opposing side, but never leave these things to chance. My boss is the king of being hard headed so for the most part it's worked out until he has a bad day and everyone wants to kill him ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
My car died yesterday all of a sudden.
It is only yr 2010. Never had problems, just replaced battery and hit 100k in January.

Drove all day Saturday and got back at 2:30am, didn't drive in the day Sunday. Monday trying to go to work and everything (lights, locks, ignition) is dead, no clicking sound, jumping didn't work.

Now I have to get it towed. And poss cancel vacation in 2 weeks cause I can't afford it if I pay a huge repair bill

My car died yesterday all of a sudden.
It is only yr 2010. Never had problems, just replaced battery and hit 100k in January.

Drove all day Saturday and got back at 2:30am, didn't drive in the day Sunday. Monday trying to go to work and everything (lights, locks, ignition) is dead, no clicking sound, jumping didn't work.

Now I have to get it towed. And poss cancel vacation in 2 weeks cause I can't afford it if I pay a huge repair bill

Car problems suck.

I'd pull my battery out and take it to an AutoZone-type store to get free testing before I'd pay for a tow (assuming you don't have AAA). If it's a new battery and is already drained, then you probably have an alternator problem. But, you can at least get the battery re-charged for free and then drive your car back there to get the alternator tested.

Reactions: 2 users
Ugh. Just had another experience that made me glad I'm moving out of this complex. I not only owed double my rent to move out (I did give them less than 60 days notice so it's partially my fault but their rate is still ridiculous). So I went to pay that on the 30th along with my upcoming month of rent. Wake up this morning to an email saying I have a balance due still. I go online to check it and I basically owe an entire month's rent plus a LATE fee. After calling around, I found out it's because they cancelled half of my check because it included the late notice fee and they wanted to make sure I wanted to pay. I authorized the payment, therefore yes I want you to take it out of my account. I'll definitely be stalking my bank account to make sure I don't pay an additional month of rent essentially. I sooo don't trust them at this point.

Car problems suck.

I'd pull my battery out and take it to an AutoZone-type store to get free testing before I'd pay for a tow (assuming you don't have AAA). If it's a new battery and is already drained, then you probably have an alternator problem. But, you can at least get the battery re-charged for free and then drive your car back there to get the alternator tested.
Unfortunately I work 7-3 T-Th so by the time I get off work, get the battery tested, and try it out the service shops would be closed, so it'd delay it another day.

But the GOOD news is I don't have AAA, but have roadside assistance through state farm. They'll tow for 14 miles free. I think the trip to the dealer was 17 miles so I only paid $13.

More bad news is my car is a hybrid, it doesnt have an alternator, so if it isn't the battery idk wtf it could be and hope it isn't expensive.

Thanks much for your insight (ironically also what I drive) :)

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately I work 7-3 T-Th so by the time I get off work, get the battery tested, and try it out the service shops would be closed, so it'd delay it another day.

But the GOOD news is I don't have AAA, but have roadside assistance through state farm. They'll tow for 14 miles free. I think the trip to the dealer was 17 miles so I only paid $13.

More bad news is my car is a hybrid, it doesnt have an alternator, so if it isn't the battery idk wtf it could be and hope it isn't expensive.

Thanks much for your insight (ironically also what I drive) :)

Oh boy, hybrid? I’m out. Too complicated for my YouTube mechanic skills. Glad you figured out a cheap tow, though. I hate paying people to drive around the expensive machine I pay to drive around...

I know I live in Minnesota, so I'm just asking for it, but 6 inches of snow...in April...with more to come later in the week? Really? Can we just be done with winter yet?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We're supposed to get 5" this week :( I just want it to be spring and gardening time.

I want to play softball OUTSIDE. And hike on trails that aren't a sloppy and/or frozen mess.
Colorado would gladly take your snow. We need it bad. You guys come here and bring the weather with you and you can have our weather for now. The high this week is 85 with an average of about 70 perfect outside weather!

Colorado would gladly take your snow. We need it bad. You guys come here and bring the weather with you and you can have our weather for now. The high this week is 85 with an average of about 70 perfect outside weather!
Come take our cold and snow please! I'll gladly take the sunshine and 70-85 degree weather!

WHERE do you live? This sounds amazing.
:laugh:In southeastern Colorado, however, I think most the state is supposed to be warm this next week. It's fine now until summer when it's over 100 and so dry that the mountains are on fire because they didn't get enough moisture. Though with it being so warm the lake should be warm enough to go kayaking and fall in by the first of May so that's trilling for my last summer here.

Owww I'm pretty sure my ankle is swelling up to extraordinary proportions such that it's pressing really hard against the plaster splint. It's pushed my foot forward .5-.75" so that my big toe is now hanging over the edge of the splint.

I'm not sure whether this is normal but I also don't really want to call in and bug someone about it at this hour.

Owww I'm pretty sure my ankle is swelling up to extraordinary proportions such that it's pressing really hard against the plaster splint. It's pushed my foot forward .5-.75" so that my big toe is now hanging over the edge of the splint.

I'm not sure whether this is normal but I also don't really want to call in and bug someone about it at this hour.
Does your insurance have teledoc or similar service? Ours has a 24/7 line you can call or video conference. I think it's usually staffed by a NP or PA... (note, I've never actually used it because I forget about 100% of the time when it might be useful... so no idea how actually useful it is!)

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Does your insurance have teledoc or similar service? Ours has a 24/7 line you can call or video conference. I think it's usually staffed by a NP or PA... (note, I've never actually used it because I forget about 100% of the time when it might be useful... so no idea how actually useful it is!)

I called in to the on-call doctor for ortho at the hospital, but he was super unhelpful. I can either go to the ER or wait and call in to my own doc in the morning! Cool, man. NEVER WOULD'VE GUESSED.

I called in to the on-call doctor for ortho at the hospital, but he was super unhelpful. I can either go to the ER or wait and call in to my own doc in the morning! Cool, man. NEVER WOULD'VE GUESSED.
So helpful!

I seriously had a thumb's width of clearance between the end of my toe and the end of the splint 12 hours ago, and now the big toe is hanging over the edge, but of course he can't tell me whether I should be concerned. I'm supposed to watch out for numbness or tingling which I had the whole time, or for increased pain, which I have, but maybe not increased enough to really worry? Idfk.

UGH. I am feeling pretty grumpy.

It's okay you can laugh - dealer called and said it was just a dead battery. My parents tried to jump it while I was at work yesterday and couldn't get it going but guess they just dont know how to jump it
Apparently sometimes car batteries aren’t powerful enough to jump it if it’s really dead and it needs a separate jump starter to be able to do it (has happened to my car twice and by Dad’s car once yaaaaayyyyyy) so possibly that’s what happened.

My mom's friend is throwing her a party Friday night to celebrate her birthday. I really want to go home and hang out and celebrate with them. I work Sun-Wed day and Friday overnights. I could get a ride home free. I thought for sure one of our ER doctors or per diem people would be willing to switch (there are more than 2 dozen between our hospitals) and not a single person is willing. Not one. And one of them had the gall to blatantly lie to me and say they were going to be out of town all week despite the fact that they are actually scheduled to work a bunch of days this week and this week (and it's confirmed they are actually working these shifts and aren't away). I'm so disappointed. It has also been an exceptionally sucky week, and I really just want to leave the city for a bit. Sigh.

My mom's friend is throwing her a party Friday night to celebrate her birthday. I really want to go home and hang out and celebrate with them. I work Sun-Wed day and Friday overnights. I could get a ride home free. I thought for sure one of our ER doctors or per diem people would be willing to switch (there are more than 2 dozen between our hospitals) and not a single person is willing. Not one. And one of them had the gall to blatantly lie to me and say they were going to be out of town all week despite the fact that they are actually scheduled to work a bunch of days this week and this week (and it's confirmed they are actually working these shifts and aren't away). I'm so disappointed. It has also been an exceptionally sucky week, and I really just want to leave the city for a bit. Sigh.
@jmo1012 ... very sorry you're missing your Mom's birthday party. Hoping someone will ultimately switch with you and then you can go home to celebrate your Mom's special day.

@strider144 ... are you feeling better?

@strider144 ... are you feeling better?
Yep! I waited and called through again in the morning. The RN and NP were both very reassuring and helpful and I got to adjust the bandage holding the plaster cast down a little and get my foot back to a better spot. Still hurts, but there's no sharp edge digging in at the incision site now.

I'm doing a lot of resting with my foot up and 'exercising' my toes to encourage good blood flow. He did a lot of work during the surgery, including a bonus accessory muscle removal (it's one that shows up in 15% of the population and causes instability and damage to nearby tendons and ligaments, so it's both good to remove and an unusual surgery, which I think he appreciated). In all, it took around 3 hours! Just have to keep it safe and let it heal now.

So this local rDVM keeps referring clients who she knows have no money to our ER service so we students "get the experience of handling clients with no money." Guy about blew his lid when I went over the estimate. Well, that's great a great experience and all, but I just got literally screamed at by this guy because *I* wasted his time :rolleyes:

So this local rDVM keeps referring clients who she knows have no money to our ER service so we students "get the experience of handling clients with no money." Guy about blew his lid when I went over the estimate. Well, that's great a great experience and all, but I just got literally screamed at by this guy because *I* wasted his time :rolleyes:

And, welcome to vet med. Where everyone is an dingus and everything is your fault. You're on this train for the long haul. You soon will resort to sarcasm, alcohol and bitching with colleagues.

And, welcome to vet med. Where everyone is an dingus and everything is your fault. You're on this train for the long haul. You soon will resort to sarcasm, alcohol and bitching with colleagues.
The sarcasm and bitching has been a part of my life for a looong time lol

The sarcasm and bitching has been a part of my life for a looong time lol

Yup, I'm currently enemy #1 for a client because I didn't give her dog a rabies vaccine yesterday.

2 months prior the dog's platelets were moderately decreased on bloodwork. Called and left message for them. Then sent letter because never heard from them. They called back but I was busy so returned their call same day, left another detailed message. 3 points of contact with the owner.

Male owner brought dog in yesterday to recheck platelets and for RV (owner scheduled it this way so they definitely got the voicemails). Explained to him that I want to hold off on vaccine until I get the platelet count as if underlying ITP.. you get the idea.

Female owner calls back bitching we didn't give vaccine because it expires on Monday and they need to get her license. And it will be all our fault if they get a late fee. Oh also, they need to board the dog this weekend and needed that vaccine. (Male owner mentions none of this during exam).

Umm, it is my fault you waited until last minute, how? You've known about the messed up platelets for 2 months and ignored it.

Apparently though me not giving that vaccine is ridiculous so they aren't coming back. Ok, byeeeee!!!!

Yup, I'm currently enemy #1 for a client because I didn't give her dog a rabies vaccine yesterday.

2 months prior the dog's platelets were moderately decreased on bloodwork. Called and left message for them. Then sent letter because never heard from them. They called back but I was busy so returned their call same day, left another detailed message. 3 points of contact with the owner.

Male owner brought dog in yesterday to recheck platelets and for RV (owner scheduled it this way so they definitely got the voicemails). Explained to him that I want to hold off on vaccine until I get the platelet count as if underlying ITP.. you get the idea.

Female owner calls back bitching we didn't give vaccine because it expires on Monday and they need to get her license.

Umm, it is my fault you waited until last minute, how? You've known about the messed up platelets for 2 months and ignored it.

Apparently though me not giving that vaccine is ridiculous so they aren't coming back. Ok, byeeeee!!!!
Lol seriously. K, see you never, god bless your new clinic

when people say "first world problems" if you "complain" even the slightest bit about anything :rolleyes:

Just found out I've been non-weight bearing after my recent toe plating because the surgery center decided I should be, not because my doctor wanted it. i've been on crutches all weekend for nothing

Trying to plan a vacation when I know nothing about vacation planning is stressful... If anyone has ever been to Disney World/Universal Studios lately and has some tips, please hit me up!

Last edited:
Trying to plan a vacation when I know nothing about vacation planning is stressful... If anyone has ever been to Disney World/Universal Studios lately and has some tips, please hit me up!
Stay onsite if possible!
At Disney you get to use the Disney transportation free and also get free parking at the parks if you choose to drive instead. You also get early access to fast pass selections and there are Extra Magic Hours for one park a day where it’s just resort guests (pretty sure it’s only them and not like annual passholders who aren’t staying on Disney property too). Disney now has dynamic pricing so peak times are more expensive and the non-peak times are cheaper, so that can save you a bit of money AND time waiting in line. They do have a couple bigger events there throughout the year that draw more people to the parks so you’ll have longer wait times during those too (the marathons, I think the food and wine festival, holidays...). I’ve stayed at both the nicer/more expensive resorts (were Disney vacation club members so that’s where we can use our timeshare points) and one or two of the value resorts (I think it was the all star music one?) and it was still a very nice hotel with multiple pools. That specific value resort has a food court (I think maybe all the value resorts do, or at least all of the “all star” ones do) which is nice because there’s more options and it’s generally a bit cheaper than a full restaurant. Disney lets you bring in snacks and drinks(not sure if they require them to be sealed), you just have to get your bag checked. You’ll definitely get through the entry line quicker if you don’t have a bag though.
If you stay onsite at universal you get early entry (to either Harry Potter ride and the mummy ride) and also get the universal express pass free, where you get to go in a separate line for certain rides and it’s not limited like if you were to purchase it in the park on top of your ticket. If youre not staying onsite and purchase it, you only get a certain number of goes per ride that has an express line (though they might now sell the unlimited passes idk). All of the Harry Potter rides are included in the universal express stuff which is fabulous because those lines can get hella long. There’s I think 2 maybe 3 resorts onsite where you have a pretty short walk to the parks and I’m not sure if there’s a way to walk from the newest onsite one (cabana beach) because I’ve never stayed there (we usually stay at the hard rock hotel). I can’t remember if universal lets you bring your own snacks and drinks in but if they do allow drinks they don’t allow them to be open (I recall chugging a bottle of water once but I can’t remember if it had been open or not). Half of the Harry Potter stuff is in islands of adventure (hogsmede and the HP and the forbidden journey ride) and the other half is in universal studios Orlando (diagon alley and the HP escape from gringotts ride). I personally prefer the forbidden journey ride because I sometimes get a bit motion sick and the gringotts one made me feel like I was gonna vomit, whereas the other one I rode 5 times in a row during the early entry hour and was fine. To use the hogwarts express train you have to have a park to park ticket. Also, if you enjoy butterscotch, the frozen butterbeer is pretty good but I can never finish a whole one by myself (gets sickly sweet after a while)

Sorry this is so long but definitely hit me up if you have any questions. I love Disney and universal :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
I can tell it's going to be one of those nights where I get called a dozen times (or more) about my patients and get no sleep. Ugh. Love residency some days.:sleep:

I re-took my biochem comp on Tuesday and passed it. Thanks for all the support here. @staff_wielder I especially appreciate your support and messages <3

Reactions: 12 users
I re-took my biochem comp on Tuesday and passed it. Thanks for all the support here. @staff_wielder I especially appreciate your support and messages <3
Awww yeah!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: Win!!! Line up the next one!

Also -- no worries; I hope you would do the same for me/someone else :)

Reactions: 3 users
Ok, seriously SDN, what the hell is it with continuously getting rid of the good color themes???? Holy crap, give me back my old theme.

The night ones are ridiculously too dark and these other "blue" ones or "light" ones have way too much effing white.

I WANT MY OLD COLOR THEME BACK!!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

Ok, seriously SDN, what the hell is it with continuously getting rid of the good color themes???? Holy crap, give me back my old theme.

The night ones are ridiculously too dark and these other "blue" ones or "light" ones have way too much effing white.

I WANT MY OLD COLOR THEME BACK!!!! :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:
I still miss coffee :cryi::coffee:

I hate phone calls. No one ever listens to their voicemail, so I often get to talk about things twice. And no one really taught me how to diagnose things over the phone, magically, in vet school so I really suck at that. I keep having to ask to actually see the pet.

Reactions: 6 users
I hate phone calls. No one ever listens to their voicemail, so I often get to talk about things twice. And no one really taught me how to diagnose things over the phone, magically, in vet school so I really suck at that. I keep having to ask to actually see the pet.
I don’t know how you can’t diagnose over the phone. You can it hear coughing in the background. Can’t you tell that dog has a third lung that has matches in it and they started a fire???????????