RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cars. That is all.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I seem to have a bad day every week waiting to hear about the Cornell waitlist. Last week was a good week. I just didn't think about things as much and tried to stay in the present.

But today I thought about another scenario that I hadn't considered. I've considered what I will do if I don't get into Cornell (another gap year doing my current job) and if I do (work for my job for a bit in the summer and then resign and go to vet school). The third scenario is much scarier. It's unlikely, but not impossible for me to get off the UW waitlist. I'm #173 or 174, can't remember which. If I get that call this summer, it makes zero sense for me to say no. UW is a good school. That's why I applied. I've never been there, so that's terrifying in itself (what if I hate the campus atmosphere?). But uprooting my life with only a few weeks notice, having to move my stuff to Wisconsin, leaving my boyfriend and having to do long distance, and taking my 2 cats with me when my boyfriend loves them so much... it's so scary. Especially considering how low income I am.

I have problems staying in the present and not freaking about when I think of my future and all the things that go wrong. Prolly should start meditating again.

/endemotionalrant

Reactions: 3 users
I seem to have a bad day every week waiting to hear about the Cornell waitlist. Last week was a good week. I just didn't think about things as much and tried to stay in the present.

But today I thought about another scenario that I hadn't considered. I've considered what I will do if I don't get into Cornell (another gap year doing my current job) and if I do (work for my job for a bit in the summer and then resign and go to vet school). The third scenario is much scarier. It's unlikely, but not impossible for me to get off the UW waitlist. I'm #173 or 174, can't remember which. If I get that call this summer, it makes zero sense for me to say no. UW is a good school. That's why I applied. I've never been there, so that's terrifying in itself (what if I hate the campus atmosphere?). But uprooting my life with only a few weeks notice, having to move my stuff to Wisconsin, leaving my boyfriend and having to do long distance, and taking my 2 cats with me when my boyfriend loves them so much... it's so scary. Especially considering how low income I am.

I have problems staying in the present and not freaking about when I think of my future and all the things that go wrong. Prolly should start meditating again.

/endemotionalrant
Dude, I so feel you. Those are some legitimately intimidating things to have to deal with and it sucks to have your future plans so up in the air. At the same time, when it comes down to it, you'll find a way to make it work, whether that's with some last-minute scrambling or a whole lot of patience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

/endemotionalrant
To give you one positive thought: Madison is pretty awesome :)

Also if you stay there during winter break you can have your Christmas on an Isthmus, which just sounds rad lol (an isthmus is a geological feature, I'm a nerd)

Reactions: 4 users
Ive slept a total of 9 hours in the last 72, and only 1 hour in the last 36. I hope that someday when I am a real adult that I remember how bad this culture is and serve as a better mentor to those around me. It is completely unacceptable to ask work like that. Especially when the health and lives of others are at steak.

Reactions: 10 users

/endemotionalrant

Madison is lovely! I moved there from CA and absolutely loved it. Might even move back to Wisconsin after residency. I'm sure that doesn't make it less scary, but if you do get off their wait list, it's a great option!

Ive slept a total of 9 hours in the last 72, and only 1 hour in the last 36. I hope that someday when I am a real adult that I remember how bad this culture is and serve as a better mentor to those around me. It is completely unacceptable to ask work like that. Especially when the health and lives of others are at steak.

I hope you get some good sleep. As an aside, steak is delicious. ;)

Reactions: 7 users

/endemotionalrant
Another person to chime in here. I actually have been to UW when I was considering them before their tuition hike. Loved it there! The schools is a bit difficult to access (right in the middle of downtown) but the area is AMAZING! Plus everyone was super great about giving me app feedback. Lots of outdoor stuff plus who wouldn't want to live in the dairy capital? Cows

Another person to chime in here. I actually have been to UW when I was considering them before their tuition hike. Loved it there! The schools is a bit difficult to access (right in the middle of downtown) but the area is AMAZING! Plus everyone was super great about giving me app feedback. Lots of outdoor stuff plus who wouldn't want to live in the dairy capital? Cows

As long as you're cognizant about picking somewhere to live that is on a bus line that goes to Observatory Dr, access isn't bad. It's hard (and expensive) to get parking, but biking and busing (or walking, if you're really close) are totally manageable, even in the winter. Other pros, if you need them: the most AMAZING year-round farmers' market, New Glarus beer, deep fried cheese curds, Badger football games, nearby lake access, Memorial Terrace, excellent and supportive people within the vet school, fabulous local bike trails...need I go on?

Reactions: 1 user
Starting off with not seeking medical advice, but it is a medically based rant:

I paid my dentist a good amount of money to do a whitening program. After my surgery and after braces and everything they were pretty bad, so I decided to go ahead and do the professional line. It was 2 weeks of trays at home and then a 2 hour session at the dentist with 3 rounds of 20 minutes each. I did the 2 weeks of at home whitening. A good bit of sensitivity and pain at first, but after about a week it wasn’t bad at all. I had the at the dentist whitening today, and somehow they messed up and got bleach on my upper lip, that bleach burned my the inside of my upper lip, and my almost entire bottom left gum line. My gums were white. They’re pinking up now, but my lip is SO SWOLLEN. And the PAIN. I'm really good at dealing with pain. I internalize my pain. I could not control myself, I was literally bawling. My brain shutdown, it was just pain. It hurt so badly, I’ve had fricking jaw surgery, and they broke my maxilla open, and I’d go through the surgery before going through that again. The worst pain after surgery was probably an 7 for me on the scale, and that was easily a 9.

And then when I’m actually bawling, a random tech came over to me and said that she was interested in doing the same whitening program, and wanted to know what I thought about it. My doctor had to actually send her away, and told her that I didn’t want to talk about it.

So now I have a SWOLLEN lip, a round of prednisone that the dentist prescribed (which means that I won’t be able to sleep for the next week), and pain everywhere. And the receptionists are wanting to know when I want to schedule to finish the appointment. :yeahright:

I paid my dentist a good amount of money to do a whitening program. After my surgery and after braces and everything they were pretty bad, so I decided to go ahead and do the professional line. It was 2 weeks of trays at home and then a 2 hour session at the dentist with 3 rounds of 20 minutes each. I did the 2 weeks of at home whitening. A good bit of sensitivity and pain at first, but after about a week it wasn’t bad at all. I had the at the dentist whitening today, and somehow they messed up and got bleach on my upper lip, that bleach burned my the inside of my upper lip, and my almost entire bottom left gum line. My gums were white. They’re pinking up now, but my lip is SO SWOLLEN. And the PAIN. I'm really good at dealing with pain. I internalize my pain. I could not control myself, I was literally bawling. My brain shutdown, it was just pain. It hurt so badly, I’ve had fricking jaw surgery, and they broke my maxilla open, and I’d go through the surgery before going through that again. The worst pain after surgery was probably an 7 for me on the scale, and that was easily a 9.

And then when I’m actually bawling, a random tech came over to me and said that she was interested in doing the same whitening program, and wanted to know what I thought about it. My doctor had to actually send her away, and told her that I didn’t want to talk about it.

So now I have a SWOLLEN lip, a round of prednisone that the dentist prescribed (which means that I won’t be able to sleep for the next week), and pain everywhere. And the receptionists are wanting to know when I want to schedule to finish the appointment. :yeahright:
I’m sorry cdo:(

Omg that sounds absolutely awful
And why the hell would the tech come over and ask you that right then...
right??? I literally have tears streaming down my face. I’m sobbing and in mind numbing pain and she comes to ask me about it. I decided to ignore her and not say anything, but oh man, what I thought about saying was severely unprofessional.
I’m sorry cdo:(
thanks Ski Ski!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, cdo. I really hate teeth (I keep having nightmares where mine all fall out....) and I’m sorry the office was so jerky to you.
itssss fine. She’s still the best dentist I’ve ever been to in my life (and I always hated going to the dentist/ had bad anxiety about it). So I’ll just deal with this little screw up because the doctor was really concerned about me.
Sorry, @cdoconn that sounds like it absolutely sucks.
thanks Jayna!

frick, it’s still swollen though. I was hoping it’d go down over night. :ninja: I guess rub more Vitamin E on it, and start my pred pack. :(

Oh my goodness! I would never think getting that gel on you would hurt that bad (having never had it done). Hopefully you are feeling a bit better today? That sounds awful.

Similar crying at the dentist story, redheads are know to require more anesthesia than most people. I had a dentist numbing my tooth for a filling. She would do an injection, wait a few minutes and do a test drill and ask me if I could feel it. I kept telling her I could feel it. After several injections she said "There is no way you can still feel this, I'm just going to start." After she had been drilling for a bit, it really started to hurt, and I had tears streaming down my face. She looked up and said "Oh my gosh! You really can still feel it!" Then she loaded me up on lidocaine, and finally fully numbed the tooth.

Since it's your lip and gums, would orajel help with some of the pain? (not a doctor, not medical advice, check with your dentist before doing something that might make it worse)

Yech, that sounds awful cdo :(

My condolences for the pain. Worst pain I ever felt was due to dry sockets. Mouth-area pain suuuuuuuuuuucks majorly. I similarly hate prednisone with a passion because I have anxiety and it makes me jittery and jumpy all the time. People say it increases their productivity. Can't concentrate for **** when I'm on it. Maybe try some lotions or oils to help calm you down at night? I'm not really into that scene, but lavender is great when I can't relax.

*hugs*

redheads are know to require more anesthesia than most people
When I had my wisdom teeth done, I had the option of a full sedative or one that would make me "loopy and I would likely forget the procedure." I'm a redhead and that was my first surgery so I took a hard pass on the loopy drugs. I wasn't gunna touch that ****. Knock me out, pls.

When I had my wisdom teeth done, I had the option of a full sedative or one that would make me "loopy and I would likely forget the procedure." I'm a redhead and that was my first surgery so I took a hard pass on the loopy drugs. I wasn't gunna touch that ****. Knock me out, pls.
Like kaydubs, I also have anxiety about my teeth falling out (regular nightmares), and I let the oral surgeons know during the consult for my wisdom teeth removal. They only offered full sedation. I didn't know it could be done any other way for the longest time!

Broke down at the halfway point between parents' home and school. This is the fourth time in a year an a half that I've broken down. Crazy enough, in two different vehicles. The Suburban broke down for a fuel pump twice, his lower intake manifold went out, and now his 40k mile old transmission is dead (and his exhaust system is shot from the catalytic converter on back). The blazer I was borrowing from my parents is what stranded me yesterday on the side of I-80. She had her lower intake manifold valve fixed last week. Now her transmission is also dead. This is the death of both vehicles.

I'm heartbroken over losing burban. We've had him since '04 and I've been driving him since '09. But there's simply no way to justify spending 3k to fix him. I really want to, but I also need a vehicle. I can't do both.:(

Yech, that sounds awful cdo :(

My condolences for the pain. Worst pain I ever felt was due to dry sockets. Mouth-area pain suuuuuuuuuuucks majorly. I similarly hate prednisone with a passion because I have anxiety and it makes me jittery and jumpy all the time. People say it increases their productivity. Can't concentrate for **** when I'm on it. Maybe try some lotions or oils to help calm you down at night? I'm not really into that scene, but lavender is great when I can't relax.

*hugs*
Wat people say pred increases their concentration?! All it does for me is increase the amount of times I need to pee and make me not sleep for two weeks

But also, oh god. Dry sockets. I have only heard of the pain those cause from my mom who is a retired dentist who used to have to change people’s dressings. *shudders*
I thankfully had enough room in my jaw to keep mine and they all fully erupted and didn’t cause problems. My siblings, however, were not as lucky. Brother still needs to have his out but sister got hers out two years ago I think. Both of them also had to have RPEs during their orthodontics, where I didn’t. They have small mouths apparently (though you wouldn’t think it...)

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! I would never think getting that gel on you would hurt that bad (having never had it done). Hopefully you are feeling a bit better today? That sounds awful.

Similar crying at the dentist story, redheads are know to require more anesthesia than most people. I had a dentist numbing my tooth for a filling. She would do an injection, wait a few minutes and do a test drill and ask me if I could feel it. I kept telling her I could feel it. After several injections she said "There is no way you can still feel this, I'm just going to start." After she had been drilling for a bit, it really started to hurt, and I had tears streaming down my face. She looked up and said "Oh my gosh! You really can still feel it!" Then she loaded me up on lidocaine, and finally fully numbed the tooth.

Since it's your lip and gums, would orajel help with some of the pain? (not a doctor, not medical advice, check with your dentist before doing something that might make it worse)
oh jeesh. That’s terrible!! maybe it would help. It’s not too bad today, but I’d worry about the after burn I always feel when I take orajel.

Prednisone is always a terrible idea. I don’t sleep the entire duration of the course, but it almost always works so I deal with the side effects.

people say precious
63905561-02F5-402F-AE02-B79B0A1CAB16.gif

Broke down at the halfway point between parents' home and school. This is the fourth time in a year an a half that I've broken down. Crazy enough, in two different vehicles. The Suburban broke down for a fuel pump twice, his lower intake manifold went out, and now his 40k mile old transmission is dead (and his exhaust system is shot from the catalytic converter on back). The blazer I was borrowing from my parents is what stranded me yesterday on the side of I-80. She had her lower intake manifold valve fixed last week. Now her transmission is also dead. This is the death of both vehicles.

I'm heartbroken over losing burban. We've had him since '04 and I've been driving him since '09. But there's simply no way to justify spending 3k to fix him. I really want to, but I also need a vehicle. I can't do both.:(
Ugh, I’m sorry! I know how you feel. I’m sentimental about my car and it has >200k miles on it and is starting to be less reliable. It decided it didn’t want to start right before finals week. Not long before that it went through a period of overheating. Whenever I graduate, I imagine I’m going to have to invest in a newer car since I likely won’t be close enough to call on my dad to help me out. I’m dreading it. :cryi:

Starting to get stressed out about all the stuff I need to get in order before surgery and how little time I have to do it. I wanted to go to the grocery store today, but I went to CVS first and my leg just hurt too much for it to be reasonable, which is making this so much harder. And I really have to clean my room. And I might need to skip out on a social obligation where doing so would derail plans, but I'm just a little bit exhausted and have pre-surg appointments to deal with still.

I looked around on google to see if other people had tips and learned that a lot of people have had a bear of a recovery from this operation. I'm scared that it might actually be that much worse than my previous surgeries.

God I need to clean my room.

Starting to get stressed out about all the stuff I need to get in order before surgery and how little time I have to do it. I wanted to go to the grocery store today, but I went to CVS first and my leg just hurt too much for it to be reasonable, which is making this so much harder. And I really have to clean my room. And I might need to skip out on a social obligation where doing so would derail plans, but I'm just a little bit exhausted and have pre-surg appointments to deal with still.

I looked around on google to see if other people had tips and learned that a lot of people have had a bear of a recovery from this operation. I'm scared that it might actually be that much worse than my previous surgeries.

God I need to clean my room.
Don’t forget grocery delivery services exist! Obviously would be a bit more expensive since someone has to bring them to you, but just in case you don’t feel like going out with your leg after your surgery but are still in need of food

I am also a little angry that I'm getting so much time immobilized and I'm still not going to get a hard cast. If I'm going to be immobilized, I want to be able to pick pretty colors!

I am also a little angry that I'm getting so much time immobilized and I'm still not going to get a hard cast. If I'm going to be immobilized, I want to be able to pick pretty colors!
Wtf that’s annoying tell them you want a hard cast and don’t take no for an answer
(I got pink and purple striped like a candy cane when I had my cast)

Don’t forget grocery delivery services exist! Obviously would be a bit more expensive since someone has to bring them to you, but just in case you don’t feel like going out with your leg after your surgery but are still in need of food
Yeah, but I have to be able to get the groceries up the stairs to my room, or else time it so that my roomie is home to do it for me. Or else I have to find some way to make comfy space downstairs that roomie's cats won't wreck. I think that when I get to the point where I'm properly hungry, I'll probably order delivery from one of the places where I can get a ton of food for not much money, but I have to get through the initial stage of just feeling sh*tty. Might just order a case of seltzer on amazon and get some more of my favorite meal replacement bars so that I'm well equipped in the utter basics.

Wtf that’s annoying tell them you want a hard cast and don’t take no for an answer
(I got pink and purple striped like a candy cane when I had my cast)
Definitely ordered some teal vet wrap so I can decorate my soft splint. If I have to have it on for two weeks, it can at least be not ace bandage-colored!

Yeah, but I have to be able to get the groceries up the stairs to my room, or else time it so that my roomie is home to do it for me. Or else I have to find some way to make comfy space downstairs that roomie's cats won't wreck. I think that when I get to the point where I'm properly hungry, I'll probably order delivery from one of the places where I can get a ton of food for not much money, but I have to get through the initial stage of just feeling sh*tty. Might just order a case of seltzer on amazon and get some more of my favorite meal replacement bars so that I'm well equipped in the utter basics.
Ah yeah that would be a bit more of a problem.

Definitely ordered some teal vet wrap so I can decorate my soft splint. If I have to have it on for two weeks, it can at least be not ace bandage-colored!
Woooo! At least you can make it pretty yourself!

So I attempted to turn my dogs Himalayan Yak chew into a cheese puff as they recommend when it gets small. I didn't have the instructions so I figured I'd wing it. My apartment now smells like horribly burnt cheese grossness. Somehow managed to not set off a fire alarm though.

Ah yeah that would be a bit more of a problem.

Woooo! At least you can make it pretty yourself!
I contemplated glitter vet-wrap but decided it might shed. I have some little 2-inch rolls in various colors that I can use to make contrasting patterns when I get bored.

I think I missed what surgery you are having done but I had a decently large (the surgeon was impressed) osteochondroma removed from my femur, just below the knee, several years ago and was put in an immobilizer for about 6 weeks. It wasn’t fun but it definitely got easier and I learned how to adapt the longer I had it on. If you get crutches, attaching a little bag to one of them so you’re able to transport things on your own makes life a little easier. I think the worst part for me was having to be so dependent but don’t be afraid to ask for help if you can.
I also relocated to the bottom floor for my surgery! My bed was basically plopped right in the center of the dining room with little to no privacy but at least I was able to get where I needed to go with minimal pain.

So sorry you’re having to go through this! Heal fast!

So I attempted to turn my dogs Himalayan Yak chew into a cheese puff as they recommend when it gets small. I didn't have the instructions so I figured I'd wing it. My apartment now smells like horribly burnt cheese grossness. Somehow managed to not set off a fire alarm though.
Omg lol. Fwiw people have instructions on the amazon reviews... ;)

I think I missed what surgery you are having done but I had a decently large (the surgeon was impressed) osteochondroma removed from my femur, just below the knee, several years ago and was put in an immobilizer for about 6 weeks. It wasn’t fun but it definitely got easier and I learned how to adapt the longer I had it on. If you get crutches, attaching a little bag to one of them so you’re able to transport things on your own makes life a little easier. I think the worst part for me was having to be so dependent but don’t be afraid to ask for help if you can.
I also relocated to the bottom floor for my surgery! My bed was basically plopped right in the center of the dining room with little to no privacy but at least I was able to get where I needed to go with minimal pain.

So sorry you’re having to go through this! Heal fast!
I'm just having a couple of torn tendons repaired, but I've been in a boot for about three months already and I'll be immobilized for at least a month afterwards, with at least two weeks totally non weight bearing. The problem with relocating downstairs is that my roomie's cats will destroy stuff (they scratch at everything and she isn't all that motivated to train them out of it) and make trouble with my cat. Also the bathroom down there is teeny tiny. I think I'll just do a lot of going up and down the stairs on my butt and be super glad that I convinced my housemate to install a second handrail over the summer. I can pretty much live on the second floor for the first couple days. Still have to optimize my sleeping arrangement, though. Lofted beds don't work so well post-surgery, but neither do mattresses on the floor.

I'm going to have a knee scooter (probably downstairs and for once I'm getting out of the house) and I've got a couple pairs of forearm crutches, one of which I'm going to try to mod out to have a knee rest - luckily I have a loooong history with crutches so I am both well-equipped and pretty experienced with them! I am a little worried about how it'll go if I'm woozy / medicated, but hopefully that will be ok.

i just wore sweatshirts with pockets all the time :laugh:

but i could also hold a cup while crutching
I'm waiting for my amazon shipment of extra sweatpants because nothing says athleisure like a giant splint on your leg!

I'm waiting for my amazon shipment of extra sweatpants because nothing says athleisure like a giant splint on your leg!
i wore yoga pants over my cast because they stretch over them better than sweats :laugh:

also wore 1 slipper all the time around the house and accidentally wore it to school one day because i forgot i was wearing it and not a real shoe (oops, but i was broken so no one was allowed to judge me and my hot pink furry slipper)

i wore yoga pants over my cast because they stretch over them better than sweats :laugh:

also wore 1 slipper all the time around the house and accidentally wore it to school one day because i forgot i was wearing it and not a real shoe (oops, but i was broken so no one was allowed to judge me and my hot pink furry slipper)
If I need to dress up, I can always wrestle with some scrub pants and scrunch them up to my knee on the splint side!

i just wore sweatshirts with pockets all the time :laugh:

but i could also hold a cup while crutching
I had my surgery when it was pushing 100 outside and sweatpants would have...well, made me sweat. I was only allowed sponge baths and washing my hair in the sink so let’s just say I felt very nasty in that period of my life. :laugh: Overly large pajama shorts were my go to.

I never got talented enough to crutch with a cup. Half of the time I was trying to hold my ill fitted immobilizer up. Lol.

I had surgery on a shoulder, not a leg, but I made a point to make a couple big batches of palatable foods, individually tupperware them and keep them in the fridge and freezer for post-op. I definitely wasn't very interested in eating until I gave up and stopped taking pain meds (stupid opioid side effects), but plopping something in the microwave takes way less motivation than actual cooking.

I had surgery on a shoulder, not a leg, but I made a point to make a couple big batches of palatable foods, individually tupperware them and keep them in the fridge and freezer for post-op. I definitely wasn't very interested in eating until I gave up and stopped taking pain meds (stupid opioid side effects), but plopping something in the microwave takes way less motivation than actual cooking.
And this is exactly why people say to bring people who just had surgery/had a baby bunches of food :laugh:
No motivation to cook anything bc no energy

And this is exactly why people say to bring people who just had surgery/had a baby bunches of food :laugh:
No motivation to cook anything bc no energy

For me the issue was nausea/no appetite, but if I had to actually cook things, I definitely wouldn't have eaten a bite!

I hope you get some good sleep. As an aside, steak is delicious. ;)
Bahaha. That reminds me of the time I was busy with work that I didn't get to eat for 24 hours, and the first thing I had when I could finally walk away from my vent case was a steak. But then of course since I was no longer with the vent, everone needed a piece of me. So I took the steak in my left hand an gnawed off hunks while assisting others. I euthanized a stray dying rabbit with my right hand.
Otajel is good stuff after you get last the initial excruciating pain of lidocaine touching injury. I used to get oral ulcers from stress when I was scuba diving. Good stuff. Tastes bad too. When I stopped getting them, I regifted it to a classmate who had a teething baby haha

I'm my experience it does not shed. Or at least the cat who had it recently and visited us didn't seem to have any extra sparkles

Bahaha. That reminds me of the time I was busy with work that I didn't get to eat for 24 hours, and the first thing I had when I could finally walk away from my vent case was a steak. But then of course since I was no longer with the vent, everone needed a piece of me. So I took the steak in my left hand an gnawed off hunks while assisting others. I euthanized a stray dying rabbit with my right hand.

This is awesome.