RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hate phone calls. No one ever listens to their voicemail, so I often get to talk about things twice. And no one really taught me how to diagnose things over the phone, magically, in vet school so I really suck at that. I keep having to ask to actually see the pet.
Or, if they bring you the pet, you actually have to perform diagnostics.

The other day, a client paid our $100 ER fee (exam, stabilization) for her severely obtunded rooster, yet refused diagnostics. She wanted to know what was wrong, but wouldn't allow us to figure it out/found it funny that we wanted to do a CBC/chem/etc. "He's just a rooster." Well, why did you pay $100 for us to just say 'Yep, he's definitely suffering and dying.' She wouldn't even agree to euthanasia, she said she'd just let him die outside in her yard. I felt horrible for the rooster. I've dealt with this before and I know I will again, but it still baffles me that someone will fork down money to see a vet but refuse everything after the exam. I'll probably never understand it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate phone calls. No one ever listens to their voicemail, so I often get to talk about things twice. And no one really taught me how to diagnose things over the phone, magically, in vet school so I really suck at that. I keep having to ask to actually see the pet.

Learn the art of delegation. You shouldn't be answering "questions" that come in on patients that haven't been recently seen. It is a receptionists or techs job to tell them they need an exam.

For the talking to people twice, I hate that. I have the receptionist tell them that I'm now busy and to have them listen to their voicemail. I still call back but that second call is much shorter since I guide them to the voicemail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Or, if they bring you the pet, you actually have to perform diagnostics.

The other day, a client paid our $100 ER fee (exam, stabilization) for her severely obtunded rooster, yet refused diagnostics. She wanted to know what was wrong, but wouldn't allow us to figure it out/found it funny that we wanted to do a CBC/chem/etc. "He's just a rooster." Well, why did you pay $100 for us to just say 'Yep, he's definitely suffering and dying.' She wouldn't even agree to euthanasia, she said she'd just let him die outside in her yard. I felt horrible for the rooster. I've dealt with this before and I know I will again, but it still baffles me that someone will fork down money to see a vet but refuse everything after the exam. I'll probably never understand it.
These are the cases where you treat the treatable, say nicely to the owner that they've tied your hands, and move on. There are a lot of them in private practice. You just keep on keeping on.

Learn the art of delegation. You shouldn't be answering "questions" that come in on patients that haven't been recently seen. It is a receptionists or techs job to tell them they need an exam.

For the talking to people twice, I hate that. I have the receptionist tell them that I'm now busy and to have them listen to their voicemail. I still call back but that second call is much shorter since I guide them to the voicemail.
Our receptionists and techs are great about getting people to come in. I've just had a higher proportion of ridiculous phone calls this week. Maybe it's just too close to Friday the 13th.

Reactions: 1 users
mercedes-in-lemonade-malibu-in-marmalade-mercury-in-gatorade-thirst-9718413.png

Reactions: 5 users
These are the cases where you treat the treatable, say nicely to the owner that they've tied your hands, and move on. There are a lot of them in private practice. You just keep on keeping on.
We did. When I came back to the room to discuss the diagnostic-free plan the doc and I came up with (which included an NSAID and injectable abx), before I could talk she hit me with "I just texted my human doctor friend, and he wants to know why you haven't just offered me pain meds and antibiotics." :shifty:

Our receptionists and techs are great about getting people to come in. I've just had a higher proportion of ridiculous phone calls this week. Maybe it's just too close to Friday the 13th.

These last two weeks for some reason have been full of the crazies. I'm so ready to shut out the world for a bit in May.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of phone calls, I just got my first late night “diagnose my pet” call. I think I’m going to make a recording of myself saying “you should probably see the vet” to save time in the future.

When asked my professional opinion, saying “go to a vet” really riles people. Hmmmm

Other people drank all the Dr Pepper that was left in the house :cryi:
@cdoconn because I feel I read something about you loving Dr Pepper and it's also my favorite:love:
Dr Pepper is my favorite. I drink it too often. The Walmart in Stilly has sales on Dr Pepper all the time so I ALWAYS have it in my apartment!

Let’s be honest, the south runs on Dr Pepper.
Can confirm she does
:love:

Reactions: 2 users
Speaking of phone calls, I just got my first late night “diagnose my pet” call. I think I’m going to make a recording of myself saying “you should probably see the vet” to save time in the future.
I can give you lots of advice if you don't like your animal too much!

If you want to keep them alive that might require a little more finesse than I can offer at this juncture in time, though.

Reactions: 3 users
When asked my professional opinion, saying “go to a vet” really riles people. Hmmmm
I started saying that if I were to do anything with your pet I could get sued and lose my future license. The idea of lawsuit really shuts them down.

Also, they ask me things and I literally have no idea soooo. I know all 35 transporters in the kidney. Why your dog is vomiting? No idea!

I can give you lots of advice if you don't like your animal too much!

If you want to keep them alive that might require a little more finesse than I can offer at this juncture in time, though.
“All I’ve been trained to do so far is cut open dead animals sooo...”

I started saying that if I were to do anything with your pet I could get sued and lose my future license. The idea of lawsuit really shuts them down.

Also, they ask me things and I literally have no idea soooo. I know all 35 transporters in the kidney. Why your dog is vomiting? No idea!
I've found of you start talking really fast about all of the completely generic and totally incorrect things you know about their problem it makes them leave you alone.

Vomiting? Let me tell you about vomition centers and the difference between vomiting and regurgitation and why vomiting is bad and why it basically sort of normal if you're a falcon but not if you're a finch and and and and

I've found of you start talking really fast about all of the completely generic and totally incorrect things you know about their problem it makes them leave you alone.

Vomiting? Let me tell you about vomition centers and the difference between vomiting and regurgitation and why vomiting is bad and why it basically sort of normal if you're a falcon but not if you're a finch and and and and
You see there’s a vomition center that triggers the antiperistaltic contractions in the orad direction, caused by the inhibition of the sympathetic nervous system in the lower esophageal sphincter, allowing the digesta from the non glandular cardia and glandular fundus of the stomach to be expelled in an orad direction through the esophagus causing a change in normal ph of the esophagus which, in chronic cases can lead to ulceration.

But in your case your dog is an idiot and ate a magnet. Good luck.

@Emily Faith how’d I do? Did I summon our phys well enough? :laugh:

Except those in the sue-happy culture. They’re taking your contact info down right now, as we speak on SDN.
:ninja:

Good thing AVMA has professional liability insurance for students included in the SAVMA annual dues!

Why do I retain everything BUT my class notes?

Except those in the sue-happy culture. They’re taking your contact info down right now, as we speak on SDN.
:hello:hey that's me in nyc! In the last month I've had 2 cases submitted to plit (crazy owners) and just got a records request from the NJ state attorney general's office yesterday (I think this action against a pdvm sadly :cryi:). I'm either going to come out of this residency as an unfazable human of its gonna totally break me.

You see there’s a vomition center that triggers the antiperistaltic contractions in the orad direction, caused by the inhibition of the sympathetic nervous system in the lower esophageal sphincter, allowing the digesta from the non glandular cardia and glandular fundus of the stomach to be expelled in an orad direction through the esophagus causing a change in normal ph of the esophagus which, in chronic cases can lead to ulceration.

But in your case your dog is an idiot and ate a magnet. Good luck.

@Emily Faith how’d I do? Did I summon our phys well enough? :laugh:
Perfection!

The best reply ever-- me, at 10pm at night "Doc, he has thrown up 6 times in the last hour" Emergency Vet, very nice, very kind, "He's a cat. Cats throw up. There is a book this thick (measured about 6" with hands) with all the reasons cats throw up. Blood work and exam are all normal. We just don't know".

a year later, me, at 10am at vets office with dog that has redecorated the house with vomit "Doc, he has thrown up 11 times since 6am" Vet, (different one) very nice, very kind, "He's a dog. Dogs eat things they should not. Then they throw up. There is a book this thick (measures about a foot with hands) with all the reasons a dog throws up. Blood work and exam are all normal. We just don't know."

I loved both of those vets! They did not make me feel stupid about bringing in a pet that was throwing up. Actually, both got fluids, they were getting dehydrated. They made me laugh a little, which cut thru the panic of "he's going to die".

Thank you for dealing with us idiot owners.

I went to donate blood today. I'm not a fan of it and I usually have to stay extra because I get faint, but I like doing good deeds. I scheduled an appointment, did everything ahead of time. Waited an hour past my appt before peacing out. The red cross begs and begs me to donate, yet overbooks their blood drives (everyone in line had an appointment).

On the bright side, this means I can drink some wine tonight.

Womp. My cardio dog just had a syncopal episode, two days before she was supposed to be spayed (finally). Now she needs to be re-evaluated by cardio before she's cut. I'm not complaining about that necessarily, but we've been trying to get her spayed before things got worse and we may have missed that window.

Can it just. stop. snowing. please?

I get it, it's Minnesota, but we're stuck in this cycle of snow --> warm up to end up with lots of mud --> more snow. We have a blizzard warning until tomorrow morning, I had to drive to work this morning in it and will again tonight for my overnight shift... I just want spring :(

I get it, it's Minnesota, but we're stuck in this cycle of snow --> warm up to end up with lots of mud --> more snow. We have a blizzard warning until tomorrow morning, I had to drive to work this morning in it and will again tonight for my overnight shift... I just want spring :(

I'm in boards study prison and today was supposed to be my scheduled day off from hardcore studying this week...needless to say, I've rescheduled that and am trying to crank out another day of study, since it's not like I can go do anything interesting or refreshing in this weather. :bored:

I'm in boards study prison and today was supposed to be my scheduled day off from hardcore studying this week...needless to say, I've rescheduled that and am trying to crank out another day of study, since it's not like I can go do anything interesting or refreshing in this weather. :bored:

I work the overnight down in LAH tonight and am really, really not looking forward to driving in.

I was so excited for warm weather and spring. Then I realized it came with 8 million people crowding every inch of space and insane traffic. Bah humbug people. :annoyed:

Same in Ohio...everythings a cold muddy mess.

Same in Ohio...everythings a cold muddy mess.

We got 16" of snow in the Twin Cities this past weekend, possible another 1-5 inches on Wednesday, before it climbs into the upper 40s. I'm going on a group hike on Saturday, when it's supposed to be in the 50s, which I'm sure is going to essentially be a slog in ankle-deep, muddy water. :arghh:

We got 16" of snow in the Twin Cities this past weekend, possible another 1-5 inches on Wednesday, before it climbs into the upper 40s. I'm going on a group hike on Saturday, when it's supposed to be in the 50s, which I'm sure is going to essentially be a slog in ankle-deep, muddy water. :arghh:

Excuse me?!?

Excuse me?!?
keep it to yourselves pls. i dont want you guys sending it over to michigan after youre done with it.

That sounds horrendous and like I would be curled up against my fireplace with hot cocoa and absolutely not trekking through the woods. :laugh:

keep it to yourselves pls. i dont want you guys sending it over to michigan after youre done with it.

I'm wearing a sleeveless dress today in protest of all this dumb snow.

Also because it's randomly classy Tuesday for Spirit Week. But protest.

Reactions: 3 users
I am wearing long sleeves, and my jacket because it is freezing here in my office. outside, it is nice, 73 degrees. in here, it is 63. and building maintenance just blows it off...