RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
31E7FE45-B038-4888-8985-6B71207620A3.jpeg
And I am still just over here like..... ET???? Umm, can't correlate that to a terrorist group.... oh well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Tell me this again in a year once you’re done with first year :p
For some reason I get stress hyporexia instead of that need to binge eat. That coupled with buying food using student loans will probably end up with me looking like daddy long neck.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason I get stress hyporexia instead of that need to binge eat. That coupled with buying food using student loans will probably end up with me looking like daddy long neck.
Nah, I meant that the fat deposition from increased cortisol would be a self limiting problem :p

Last edited:
Huh. Just Googled and PETA has a public statement supporting ALF.

Hasn't PETA paid for lawyers so that arsonists acting on behalf of ALF so that they got off, or reduced sentences? I would have to look that up again. Or was that the HSUS?

The general public who considers our charges "off the charts" and don't consider the price of medical care without insurance. @Miranda Senft Also not sure why Merck Manual would publish such an article
It was one of their "Student Stories" so they have these students who are bloggers and they just kinda post whatever they want. I didn't find the article to be so terrible but it was really annoying the comments!

Edit: Clarify that the article was obviously written by a rich individual who has no concept of money struggles.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It was one of their "Student Stories" so they have these students who are bloggers and they just kinda post whatever they want. I didn't find the article to be so terrible but it was really annoying the comments!

Edit: Clarify that the article was obviously written by a rich individual who has no concept of money struggles.
No for sure I understood what they were saying and there is a reason behind it but overall the general public I would say as a blanket statment has a poor understanding of vet med as a whole expecially when it comes to student debt, practice cost etc

Reactions: 1 users
No for sure I understood what they were saying and there is a reason behind it but overall the general public I would say as a blanket statment has a poor understanding of vet med as a whole expecially when it comes to student debt, practice cost etc
Absolutely! I was so annoyed with the comments :(

@WildZoo I think you were talking about rabies laws and Ohio not necessarily having one? I think it's all done at the county level. The county I was in during school required rabies for dogs, cats, and ferrets. The county I'm currently in requires it for dogs and cats

My brain all day long: “omggggg I’m so tired let’s take a nap, you don’t need to study for this shadow magic exam it’s gonna be okaaaaaay let’s go take a nap I’m tired.”

My brain, when I go lay down to sleep: “you’re going to fail that test, and fail out of vet school. If that miraculously doesn’t happen, you’re never going to be good enough to get a surgical residency so why do you bother? You’re never going to be good enough, never going to be good enough, never going to be good enough”

So uhh yeah... thought spirals are fun. In case any excited prevet thought getting into vet school would be the end of their worries, it’s not. At least for me it never stops.

Will be ready for summer/ this month of HELL that is February to be over. March drops us down to 1 exam a week which will be a welcome break

I’m glad I have my dog. She got to come to school with me today and she stayed at the hospital because she’s taking part of a professor’s feed trial and I got to visit her at lunch and cuddle her and walk her and it was really really helpful. Makes me want to negotiate in my big kid vet contract [in like a million years when I actually graduate] a clause about letting me bring her with me to work. I was less worried about her today.

It’s been a day. My mind can’t stop racing.

Some people should take note that yelling at me and accusing me of things has never once changed my mind about anything!

am I the only unemployed non-student here or

I feel like the answer would be yes because we're all a bunch of accomplished overachievers but you never know

anyone who knows me knows that I was pretty unhappy with my job but this was unexpected and I'm BORED

am I the only unemployed non-student here or

I feel like the answer would be yes because we're all a bunch of accomplished overachievers but you never know

anyone who knows me knows that I was pretty unhappy with my job but this was unexpected and I'm BORED
Meeeeeee. It’s so fun.

Not really a rant just a...sad I guess. I have gone through so many random things with my family like you could write a book. I’ve probably said some of it on here before. But my mom of course has been letting me live at home since I graduated, and that was fine at first Bc I needed to take extra classes at a local college. But now I’m not really doing anything except shadowing, and it’s not bc I don’t want to do more it’s bc I can’t....

Basically long story short version, while I was in college lots of fun things happened and my sisters were taken away by DHHS and it was a LONG process to get them back, my mom didn’t receive official custody until a week after my college graduation. And so naturally she had been depressed all that time, but afterwards come to find out she had this type of anemia that has caused her to feel so tired. Basically she tries to do things and she does some but never enough to actually impact much. So from the depressed times to now our house is slightly in a defunct state lol. I have no room, a whole renovation of my room was done in the before time that’s not done and I sleep in my sisters who’s in college. (I slept on the sofa the whole summer until my sister went to school).

I feel like I’m rambling but we have maintenance things to do in the house, take care of pets, a yard, fix actual problem rooms so the entire house is liveable, balance a little sister’s needs, and my own. And I just feel like if I leave to do something else like a masters program I could endanger things at home in the future. I bring it up today Bc my mom had a procedure done to see if she had cancer to explain her condition (won’t know until the biopsy comes back). But like also I feel like I’m going insane Bc I never planned to be like a halfway parent, I literally do nothing for myself, I miss going to the gym anymore and so I’ve gained all this weight I lost in school. My mom never feels like grocery shopping, so we eat out all the time, and so the environment I feel like I starting to stress/anxiety/depress me.

So basically idk what to do, if you read all this you’re wonderful I’m sorry it’s so disjointed I just didn’t know how much to include.

Looking at a very high rent average with a very low salary for the next year...

BluePearl needs to follow VCA's footsteps and up their interns' salaries by $10,000 because yikes.

Looking at a very high rent average with a very low salary for the next year...

BluePearl needs to follow VCA's footsteps and up their interns' salaries by $10,000 because yikes.
You'd think they would since they're owned by the same company lol

You'd think they would since they're owned by the same company lol
I thought the same thing, idk why they're lagging behind.

It's seeming that the only way to get rent for a studio or 1 bed under $1000 is to be in a bad area.

First year applying and first round of rejections have got me down. It seems like an uphill battle where every year has more applicants and there are always applicants with more experience and better grades than you.

I'm on a high dose of antibiotics because I did something stupid, and my stomach feels absolutely disgusting!

kefir milk or kombucha always make me feel better when I'm on clavamox for cat bites.
Thanks for the tip! I've been doing live culture yoghurt, but definitely willing to try different things. My body is apparently a bit weird in that antibiotics always give me severe nausea instead of diarrhea, but I'm hyperthyroid and the meds that keep me alive have to be taken with food in order to work, so not eating isn't exactly an option....

Not really a rant just a...sad I guess. I have gone through so many random things with my family like you could write a book. I’ve probably said some of it on here before. But my mom of course has been letting me live at home since I graduated, and that was fine at first Bc I needed to take extra classes at a local college. But now I’m not really doing anything except shadowing, and it’s not bc I don’t want to do more it’s bc I can’t....

Basically long story short version, while I was in college lots of fun things happened and my sisters were taken away by DHHS and it was a LONG process to get them back, my mom didn’t receive official custody until a week after my college graduation. And so naturally she had been depressed all that time, but afterwards come to find out she had this type of anemia that has caused her to feel so tired. Basically she tries to do things and she does some but never enough to actually impact much. So from the depressed times to now our house is slightly in a defunct state lol. I have no room, a whole renovation of my room was done in the before time that’s not done and I sleep in my sisters who’s in college. (I slept on the sofa the whole summer until my sister went to school).

I feel like I’m rambling but we have maintenance things to do in the house, take care of pets, a yard, fix actual problem rooms so the entire house is liveable, balance a little sister’s needs, and my own. And I just feel like if I leave to do something else like a masters program I could endanger things at home in the future. I bring it up today Bc my mom had a procedure done to see if she had cancer to explain her condition (won’t know until the biopsy comes back). But like also I feel like I’m going insane Bc I never planned to be like a halfway parent, I literally do nothing for myself, I miss going to the gym anymore and so I’ve gained all this weight I lost in school. My mom never feels like grocery shopping, so we eat out all the time, and so the environment I feel like I starting to stress/anxiety/depress me.

So basically idk what to do, if you read all this you’re wonderful I’m sorry it’s so disjointed I just didn’t know how much to include.
Did you see my post on the work at home gig I mentioned? That was a very chatty PM so it got buried fast but wanna make sure you got the deets since you were curious

Did you see my post on the work at home gig I mentioned? That was a very chatty PM so it got buried fast but wanna make sure you got the deets since you were curious
I remember reading it but I’d have to go back and find it for sure, I should’ve screenshotted it.

First year applying and first round of rejections have got me down. It seems like an uphill battle where every year has more applicants and there are always applicants with more experience and better grades than you.
Same im emailing all schools that replace grades for advising. I already emailed LSU about diversity. My IS is UF and its nigh impossible to get an interview even as IS unlike some other states. UF said that they were going a more holistic route so I am hoping that they change up their application process.

Went to Las Vegas for the Western Vet Conference, so naturally my house developed an ice dam and is leaking through the kitchen ceiling while I'm gone. And blowing through my discretionary savings that I'd allocated for fun while I'm here, as now I'm spending them on emergency repairs. Hmph. Houses are annoying.

Went to Las Vegas for the Western Vet Conference, so naturally my house developed an ice dam and is leaking through the kitchen ceiling while I'm gone. And blowing through my discretionary savings that I'd allocated for fun while I'm here, as now I'm spending them on emergency repairs. Hmph. Houses are annoying.
Oh no!!! Was that a piping thing or a snow accumulating on your roof thing?

Oh no!!! Was that a piping thing or a snow accumulating on your roof thing?

It's more of an "I have an old house and there are ventilation issues" thing - so part of the roof gets warmed by air escaping from the house --> snow melts --> ice forms --> damage --> problem.

$1700 problem.

It's more of an "I have an old house and there are ventilation issues" thing - so part of the roof gets warmed by air escaping from the house --> snow melts --> ice forms --> damage --> problem.

$1700 problem.
That really sucks :( Will homeowner's (or rental - I don't recall your specific housing situation) insurance cover any of the repairs?

Got screamed at by a client who did not activity restrict their dog after having a radial/ulnar fracture plated and now the plate is bent. So that was fun.

Silver lining was that they tried to say they were never offered referral or splinting as treatment and it was me that saw them at initial presentation so I was like.... well I know referral was recommended and splinting was offered because IT WAS ME who had that conversation with you at 4 am.

Reactions: 3 users
Got screamed at by a client who did not activity restrict their dog after having a radial/ulnar fracture plated and now the plate is bent. So that was fun.

Silver lining was that they tried to say they were never offered referral or splinting as treatment and it was me that saw them at initial presentation so I was like.... well I know referral was recommended and splinting was offered because IT WAS ME who had that conversation with you at 4 am.
I looovveee when this happens. Sweet smile, sooooo understanding, but nope, **** off, I am 100% aware this conversation occurred because I HAD IT WITH YOU. mwahahahaha.

I looovveee when this happens. Sweet smile, sooooo understanding, but nope, **** off, I am 100% aware this conversation occurred because I HAD IT WITH YOU. mwahahahaha.
Yup. After getting screamed at I was like... so how can I help you TODAY. "We should have been told to activity restrict!" (they were but ya know)... Unfortunately that is in the past. What can I do NOW to help you. Sigh.

But the owner is in nursing school so OBVIOUSLY SHE KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT BONES AND WANTS A PRINT OUT OF THE RAD TO SHOW TO THEIR FRIEND WHO IS A HUMAN SURG TECH.

Every time, EVERY SINGLE TIME I waive an exam fee the owner turns out to be the worlds biggest douche canoe.

Reactions: 4 users
Nurses are terrible clients lol. We had someone who was more of a CNA but introduced herself as a nurse... and she didn't know what a uterus was. Or where one might be located in the body once we told her what it was

Yup. After getting screamed at I was like... so how can I help you TODAY. "We should have been told to activity restrict!" (they were but ya know)... Unfortunately that is in the past. What can I do NOW to help you. Sigh.

But the owner is in nursing school so OBVIOUSLY SHE KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT BONES AND WANTS A PRINT OUT OF THE RAD TO SHOW TO THEIR FRIEND WHO IS A HUMAN SURG TECH.

Every time, EVERY SINGLE TIME I waive an exam fee the owner turns out to be the worlds biggest douche canoe.

Give a mouse a cookie.

I don't discount things anymore, I have a hard time with the free/discounted exams I have no say in. Plus all the free prevention that we give out. The WORST people are those you bend over backwards to help. No good deed ever goes unpunished in this field. I don't help people anymore. I've been burned way too many times by it.

We had a nurse tell us she didn’t believe in vaccines.

She worked in pediatrics.

nurses are 120% the worst clients. I say this as the daughter of a nurse - :laugh: - but seriously, nine times out of ten they fit the "little bit of knowledge is dangerous" adage. I much, much prefer my MD clients who understand what I'm saying but are so specialized they're more than happy to just hand the animal over to be diagnosed lol.

Reactions: 5 users