RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nurses are terrible clients lol. We had someone who was more of a CNA but introduced herself as a nurse... and she didn't know what a uterus was. Or where one might be located in the body once we told her what it was
AGREED. The other horrible one that I had posted on here was an ER nurse allegedly. Which freaking kills me cause its like HELLO SAME TEAM! We all work in the medical field! And my mom and many friends that I respect immensely are nurses. UGH.

Hi guys. RN here. We’re not all idiots and awful clients! I promise!! But glad to know when I transition to vet med I can still make fun of patients/clients!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. RN here. We’re not all idiots and awful clients! I promise!! But glad to know when I transition to vet med I can still make fun of patients/clients!
I know. My mom has learned to be better and my friends are great. And I have a few nurse clients that are actually amazing but man the ones that have really made me want to walk off a tall building ASAP also happen to be nurses/in nursing school.

Reactions: 1 users
She thought it was in the dog's neck
I know this isn't what you're talking about but...
Cervical neck and cervical uterus are two important distinctions. If you say 'cervical mass' on a cytology request form, I will assume it means neck so please specify if you ever actually mean cervix. This is your cytology submission tip of the day.

Reactions: 14 users
Got screamed at by a client who did not activity restrict their dog after having a radial/ulnar fracture plated and now the plate is bent. So that was fun.

Silver lining was that they tried to say they were never offered referral or splinting as treatment and it was me that saw them at initial presentation so I was like.... well I know referral was recommended and splinting was offered because IT WAS ME who had that conversation with you at 4 am.
nurses are 120% the worst clients. I say this as the daughter of a nurse - :laugh: - but seriously, nine times out of ten they fit the "little bit of knowledge is dangerous" adage. I much, much prefer my MD clients who understand what I'm saying but are so specialized they're more than happy to just hand the animal over to be diagnosed lol.
I love MD clients. They’re always the best. There was one who brought his dog in for an emergency cystotomy. 30+ stones and one stuck in the urethra. Well, we didn’t know one was stuck until we realized we couldn’t pass the catheter and couldn’t get it out. We called him and told him what happened and said we needed to transfer to a specialty center. He was totally fine with it. He still sings our praise and refers us to everyone. Granted, we didn’t do anything wrong before or during the surgery, but many non-medically trained clients would see that we couldn’t finish the surgery fully and think we were incompetent.

Another MD is a friend of the doctor and his dog was diagnosed with an anal sac adenocarcinoma. He basically just said “aw man, alright.” And went in with the rest of the visit. The dog is old, has a good quality of life, and he immediately opted for palliative care. Easiest visit of that nature ever.

Reactions: 2 users
I love MD clients. They’re always the best. There was one who brought his dog in for an emergency cystotomy. 30+ stones and one stuck in the urethra. Well, we didn’t know one was stuck until we realized we couldn’t pass the catheter and couldn’t get it out. We called him and told him what happened and said we needed to transfer to a specialty center. He was totally fine with it. He still sings our praise and refers us to everyone. Granted, we didn’t do anything wrong before or during the surgery, but many non-medically trained clients would see that we couldn’t finish the surgery fully and think we were incompetent.

Another MD is a friend of the doctor and his dog was diagnosed with an anal sac adenocarcinoma. He basically just said “aw man, alright.” And went in with the rest of the visit. The dog is old, has a good quality of life, and he immediately opted for palliative care. Easiest visit of that nature ever.
My MD clients have also been great. I wish they would tell me right away because I'll be explaining stuff on rads in laymans terms when I could have been using all those fancy doctor words!

My favorite are the "well I'm a CNA so I had one radiology course... that's the hip right there!" ... no, sir that is the elbow

Reactions: 7 users
My MD clients have also been great. I wish they would tell me right away because I'll be explaining stuff on rads in laymans terms when I could have been using all those fancy doctor words!

My favorite are the "well I'm a CNA so I had one radiology course... that's the hip right there!" ... no, sir that is the elbow
I love smugly looking at my doctor after a visit where he’s just explained things in layman’s terms at length to a client, and letting him know that the client is a physician. He always just looks at me dumbfounded and says “wait... what?” It’s hilarious.

I also love when people do the same thing as that CNA except they say they used to be a vet tech. Usually if you’re in your 30’s and used to be a vet tech but don’t work in the field anymore, there’s a reason for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Except "used to be a vet tech" usually means "I worked in some capacity in a vet clinic."

Doesn't matter if it's reception, kennel, etc...

Reactions: 3 users
Except "used to be a vet tech" usually means "I worked in some capacity in a vet clinic."

Yeah. Like the friend of my client who was "a vet lady" and gave her all these human pediatric anti-seizure meds for her dog that had NEVER had a seizure to "keep it calm" while it was in CHF.

Wait she's a what? "You know, just a lady who lives down the road who does vet stuff for people"

WHAT?????

Yeah. Like the friend of my client who was "a vet lady" and gave her all these human pediatric anti-seizure meds for her dog that had NEVER had a seizure to "keep it calm" while it was in CHF.

Wait she's a what? "You know, just a lady who lives down the road who does vet stuff for people"

WHAT?????
Wow drug dealers are coming up with crafty titles these days.

Reactions: 5 users

Ugh we had someone try to pull this on us during a cruelty case one time. Like "Well I am a vet tech and he gets some kind of medicine sometimes so he is fine."

Yes hello ma'am, your dog is a BCS 2/9 and I can see a BONE sticking out of his FOOT. I will see you in court, thanks.

Never seen anyone heel-face-turn about their credentials as fast as she did once she was on the stand testifying lol

Members don't see this ad :)

WHAT?????
WHAT

WHAT?????
nobody told me that I could just become an dollar store animal shaman and skip all this school

Reactions: 9 users

WHAT?????

Yeah, what's her name? Where's she located or do you have her phone number? It is very important I follow up with her so I know exactly what meds she's given to you.

**Gets info from client**

Ok, thanks for all this information, I'll now be reporting her for practicing veterinary medicine without a license and illegally dispensing drugs.

I think my clinic experience is what gave me the tools to be such a hypochondriac with my pets. I have slightly more medical knowledge than the average pet owner, but it's not super useful. :p Mostly it means that little things become very awful and serious in my mind and at the slightest sign of weirdness I make vet appointments.

I have also lost any TNT skills I ever had, and now Tali goes into the clinic to have technicians do it for me. :rolleyes:

That's where I have mine done.

-Not currently a pet owner
That reminded me of every pet owner who sees how sedatives affect their pet and says “wow, can you give ME some of that?”
*Me internally* “Ugh...”
*Me in customer service mode* “HAHAHAHAHAHA”

I work at a farm and we do trail rides we had a woman come to lease that took an hour to tack up and when we finally got a saddle that was ok she argued that we needed a saddle fitter out to fit all the horses. We cant afford that and almost no trail barn could as we use different saddles for different horses. She complained the entire ride about how the saddle fit was and vocalized how much the horse was tired etc. The horse wasnt tired and wasn't in pain ( I ride him usually and hes the kind to sleep on a ride if you let him) afterwords she kept getting in my personal space and was constantly reminding me how much she had ridden and been around horses. She said I couldnt undetstand her point because she worked witj managing companies like xerox and such to help them run better. I didn't tell her I worked with Olympians and barns that ran equine dinner shows in Orlando etc. It was a test of my ability to remain professional as she dressed me down for what my employeer did ( and really it wasnt my bosses fault either). I sometimes forget horse people can be like that.

I work at a farm and we do trail rides we had a woman come to lease that took an hour to tack up and when we finally got a saddle that was ok she argued that we needed a saddle fitter out to fit all the horses. We cant afford that and almost no trail barn could as we use different saddles for different horses. She complained the entire ride about how the saddle fit was and vocalized how much the horse was tired etc. The horse wasnt tired and wasn't in pain ( I ride him usually and hes the kind to sleep on a ride if you let him) afterwords she kept getting in my personal space and was constantly reminding me how much she had ridden and been around horses. She said I couldnt undetstand her point because she worked witj managing companies like xerox and such to help them run better. I didn't tell her I worked with Olympians and barns that ran equine dinner shows in Orlando etc. It was a test of my ability to remain professional as she dressed me down for what my employeer did ( and really it wasnt my bosses fault either). I sometimes forget horse people can be like that.

Horse people are cray cray!

Reactions: 4 users

"You're always welcome to get off and walk if the saddle is really that bad."

I much, much prefer my MD clients who understand what I'm saying but are so specialized they're more than happy to just hand the animal over to be diagnosed lol.
Absolutely agree with this!

If my pet ever seems to be ailing or injured, or needs any care or treatment, she is ALWAYS treated by a veterinarian.
They're the ONLY doctors for my pet and they're the very BEST doctors for my pet. :love:

veterinarian.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
The inaccessibility of our profession upsets me. I spent $2000 on applications alone, probably $5000 after figuring in travel, lodging, food during travel, etc.

Average people can't afford this. I'm extremely fortunate to have grown up middle/upper-ish middle class and to have been given these opportunities throughout my life. Many people can't say that and it upsets me. It makes the profession so closed off. There are application fee reductions and waivers and whatnot, but the rest is up to the applicant. Not to mention tuition and cost of living, whole other monsters.

People can't even enter the profession with these costs. Why can't everyone have an equal chance? Obviously these issues go way deeper than just affording applications to grad, professional, or even undergraduate school, but people wonder why we have these disparities when it's right in front of our faces.

Idk. Just my thoughts.

The inaccessibility of our profession upsets me. I spent $2000 on applications alone, probably $5000 after figuring in travel, lodging, food during travel, etc.

Average people can't afford this. I'm extremely fortunate to have grown up middle/upper-ish middle class and to have been given these opportunities throughout my life. Many people can't say that and it upsets me. It makes the profession so closed off. There are application fee reductions and waivers and whatnot, but the rest is up to the applicant. Not to mention tuition and cost of living, whole other monsters.

People can't even enter the profession with these costs. Why can't everyone have an equal chance? Obviously these issues go way deeper than just affording applications to grad, professional, or even undergraduate school, but people wonder why we have these disparities when it's right in front of our faces.

Idk. Just my thoughts.
This is a huge issue in the profession and really no one has found an answer yet. I have no idea what it would even be.

This is a huge issue in the profession and really no one has found an answer yet. I have no idea what it would even be.
It doesn't start with the profession honestly, it starts with income disparity in general. However, there are absolutely things the profession can do to ease the burden i.e. lessen app costs, cover travel costs for interview, lower tuition (obviously) - but as for HOW we would do those things, I also have no idea. :(

Idk. Just my thoughts.
I’m really feeling this. I had no idea how expensive this whole application process would get when I decided to expand my application from the one Canadian vet school I was eligible for to US schools. Between the GRE fees, having transcripts converted to US grades, courier costs to meet transcript deadlines, the vmcas fees, supplemental fees, etc. That doesn’t even include the struggle to find unpaid animal experience let alone find a vet willing to take you on all while trying to live in a very expensive world. I come from a single parent home with not much disposable income to spare so I’m feeling incredibly guilty about possibly needing to repeat this process with all of the associated costs. It hurts to think about all of debt we’ll incur and the relatively low salary waiting on the other end.

I’m really feeling this. I had no idea how expensive this whole application process would get when I decided to expand my application from the one Canadian vet school I was eligible for to US schools. Between the GRE fees, having transcripts converted to US grades, courier costs to meet transcript deadlines, the vmcas fees, supplemental fees, etc. That doesn’t even include the struggle to find unpaid animal experience let alone find a vet willing to take you on all while trying to live in a very expensive world. I come from a single parent home with not much disposable income to spare so I’m feeling incredibly guilty about possibly needing to repeat this process with all of the associated costs. It hurts to think about all of debt we’ll incur and the relatively low salary waiting on the other end.
I got lucky in that I got in on the first try. It was really unexpected. I totally know what you mean about not having the money to do this all again. I almost count myself lucky that I got flat out rejected from some schools because looking back I wouldn’t have had enough money to fly out and interview at all the places I applied. I barely have enough now after interview a couple places and cancelling one interview before it happened. I had to spend $1,000 on abc apartment deposit and $500 for my acceptance deposit. I had $6,000 in my savings when I started this process. I now have $2,400. It took me three years to get that much in my savings initially.

I got lucky in that I got in on the first try. It was really unexpected. I totally know what you mean about not having the money to do this all again. I almost count myself lucky that I got flat out rejected from some schools because looking back I wouldn’t have had enough money to fly out and interview at all the places I applied. I barely have enough now after interview a couple places and cancelling one interview before it happened. I had to spend $1,000 on abc apartment deposit and $500 for my acceptance deposit. I had $6,000 in my savings when I started this process. I now have $2,400. It took me three years to get that much in my savings initially.
Congratulations on getting accepted! I wouldn’t call it luck, you worked hard to get where you are so you should be very proud of yourself! Hopefully sometime soon we’ll see changes in the price of applying to vet school, tuition, and salary.

Idk. Just my thoughts.

I mean sure. But that’s why I only applied to a few schools, all of which were in reasonable driving distance of me or didn’t interview. Universities are not wealthy places and admissions is a time intensive process- they to pay staff to go through the applications/host the interviews/ dinner, etc. You could argue that a lot could be saved by just not interviewing at all but then are you really getting the best class you can? Maybe technology will help us with this in the future. It’s complicated and unless there suddenly becomes a magical subsidy for grad school/professional school applications, I’m not sure how it can change?

I'm on a high dose of antibiotics because I did something stupid, and my stomach feels absolutely disgusting!

For cat bites, I take the biggest OTC probiotic I can find like 2 hours after my Clavamox. Doesn't make the GI signs entirely go away, but it certainly lessens the magnitude of diarrhea.

I mean sure. But that’s why I only applied to a few schools, all of which were in reasonable driving distance of me or didn’t interview.

Lots of people can't even afford that.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure how it can change. It's not my line of work. I do know that our profession (and many others) are closed off to low income populations in general. That's unfortunately just how society works. All I'm saying is that I wish it wasn't that way.

For cat bites, I take the biggest OTC probiotic I can find like 2 hours after my Clavamox. Doesn't make the GI signs entirely go away, but it certainly lessens the magnitude of diarrhea.
Ask your doctor to prescribe you VSL #3. I think it’s prescription only. I was prescribed it by an osteopath and holy crap it’s great (no pun intended). 112 billion CFU.

My Dad recommended one that made me feel much better, thank god! I took my last antibiotic dose yesterday, so a couple more doses of probiotic and I should be back in business. Thankfully the drugs seem to have done their job with regards to my thumb, so I shouldn't have to repeat this process any time soon... hopefully.

Ask your doctor to prescribe you VSL #3. I think it’s prescription only. I was prescribed it by an osteopath and holy crap it’s great (no pun intended). 112 billion CFU.
I know it's prescription only here (I'm in Canada). Thankfully I apparently didn't need anything quite that strong.

I have found my MD clients to be some of the worst, unfortunately :\ They commonly don't want to do a lot of diagnostics because somehow they know better. I also find they seem to want to show off their medical knowledge and request weird meds that might be totally fine protocol in people but not in animals, or grill me about a surgery or procedure...I often have to do the clenched smile with the "Ha-ha, well I don't know about people but in ANIMALS..." UGH. Worst of all, they're always the ones that NEVER want to euthanize their clearly suffering animal. I don't know if it's because that's not really an option in human med or what...

It's like, why are you arguing with me or trying to one-up me? You treat the pinky toe on the left foot in people, what the hell do you know about UTIs in dogs?! I totally respect the degree of specialization but c'mon people.

Reactions: 9 users
I have found my MD clients to be some of the worst, unfortunately :\ They commonly don't want to do a lot of diagnostics because somehow they know better. I also find they seem to want to show off their medical knowledge and request weird meds that might be totally fine protocol in people but not in animals, or grill me about a surgery or procedure...I often have to do the clenched smile with the "Ha-ha, well I don't know about people but in ANIMALS..." UGH. Worst of all, they're always the ones that NEVER want to euthanize their clearly suffering animal. I don't know if it's because that's not really an option in human med or what...

It's like, why are you arguing with me or trying to one-up me? You treat the pinky toe on the left foot in people, what the hell do you know about UTIs in dogs?! I totally respect the degree of specialization but c'mon people.

Agree with the resistance to euthanasia thing. It blows my mind every time... Have they not seen people with chronic diseases suffering? Why do they want their animals to experience the same?

Agree with the resistance to euthanasia thing. It blows my mind every time... Have they not seen people with chronic diseases suffering? Why do they want their animals to experience the same?

Right? I don't know if it's because it's not an option in human med or if they think the animal isn't suffering the same way that a person is, or maybe they aren't in a human field where they see end-stage disease/suffering? But it infuriates me.

I believe it is because they see their pet as a human, a child, a true family member--just like they would see their actual child or niece or uncle. I have actually had a conversation with a friend, whose cat was clearly suffering "if this was your son, would you just kill them?" It made me realize that they just don't see and understand.

I believe it is because they see their pet as a human, a child, a true family member--just like they would see their actual child or niece or uncle. I have actually had a conversation with a friend, whose cat was clearly suffering "if this was your son, would you just kill them?" It made me realize that they just don't see and understand.
A vet on here made an interesting suggestion. Ask the owner to list three things that their pet always loves doing. Playing fetch, hiking, following you around, taking car rides, etc. If they’ve stopped doing two out of three of those things, they’re telling you they’re ready. Obviously not a catch-all and owners can try to rework their list to find something else they still do, but it puts the pet’s quality of life into perspective. When your sick old pet can’t do anything and the biggest excitement you have with them is that they’ve taken a bite of their food, you know it’s time.

is there treatment for cataracts for dogs? Max is 11. his eyes seem to be getting a little "milky" when viewed from the side...and he acts sometimes like he isn't seeing as well. we are going out of town the next couple of days, and he is boarded at the vets. they are going to check, but I guess I want to be prepared, a little.

and when I googled, I got 17 hits for essential oils, and 3 definitions, but nothing about treatment.

is there treatment for cataracts for dogs? Max is 11. his eyes seem to be getting a little "milky" when viewed from the side...and he acts sometimes like he isn't seeing as well. we are going out of town the next couple of days, and he is boarded at the vets. they are going to check, but I guess I want to be prepared, a little.

and when I googled, I got 17 hits for essential oils, and 3 definitions, but nothing about treatment.
https://vetmed.illinois.edu/pet_column/cataract-surgery-dogs/

Yeah, my general observation is moreso a greater tendency to try to treat at home inappropriately and sometimes without need.

As an example, one of my professors shared a story with us last semester of an MD client who brought their dog in and had been giving it aspirin every day as a measure to prevent atherosclerosis. The dog had pretty significant GI issues from the constant NSAID use. It was hard to discuss with the client that dogs aren't little people and while his intentions were good, he overstepped his professional qualifications into a realm of medicine he was not trained to practice

As someone who has taken care of many terminal (human) patients I can assure you and your friend there are worse things than dying. I can’t count how many people I’ve legally tortured because their family couldn’t let them go. It’s awful how we as a society treat our elderly and dying.

No problem! Depending on where you live, the cost of the surgery is usually $3,000-$4,000.
I think you should just wait to see what the vet says. Not everything that causes cloudy eyes in older dogs is even a cataract, and if truly a cataract the dog might not even be a candidate for surgery. That is not a kind of thing we can discuss without having seen the dog. And costs can vary widely based on location and other factors.

Reactions: 13 users
I think you should just wait to see what the vet says. Not everything that causes cloudy eyes in older dogs is even a cataract, and if truly a cataract the dog might not even be a candidate for surgery. That is not a kind of thing we can discuss without having seen the dog. And costs can vary widely based on location and other factors.
Yea of course. But they were asking if it’s a thing and are already taking care of the rest of your concern so I just gave them that info. If they hadn’t said that their dog is currently at the vet getting examined, I would’ve said go to the vet.