capri1722

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pharmacy Student
They are! But it could be really nice and be like the macrocyclic lactones where they end with the same name.

I’m imagining their naming system is “cefla *keyboard smash*”
It's like biologics in hooman med!
Infliximab, adalimumab, golizumab, vedolimumab, certolizumab, just smash the keyboard a few times and slap a -mab ending on it!

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Honestly my biggest day to day complaint is cerenia, convenia and osurnia all sounding similar and being completely different uses.

Although I do appreciate the ability to sing them all to both the Ricola and Activia jingles.

WildZoo

Illegal in all 50, Unlynchable Wolf
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinary Student
Honestly my biggest day to day complaint is cerenia, convenia and osurnia all sounding similar and being completely different uses.

Although I do appreciate the ability to sing them all to both the Ricola and Activia jingles.
I used to get cerenia and convenia mixed up all the time

So I had to remember that cerenia brings serenity to the GI tract, while convenia is convenient. I got nothing for osurnia.

Also more often sing to the Activia jingle lol

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I used to get cerenia and convenia mixed up all the time

So I had to remember that cerenia brings serenity to the GI tract, while convenia is convenient. I got nothing for osurnia.

Also more often sing to the Activia jingle lol
O- otic

WildZoo

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinary Student
Reactions: Caiter92

mmmdreamerz

c/o 2021
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student

Tramadol and trazadone is annoying lol

Also simplicef and simparica

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
But O is for eyes :cryi:
I mainly just mean because the O sound is the same as the O in otic. So if you’re trying to remember among the three, cerenia is serene, convenia is convenient (as opposed to giving antibiotics PO), and osurnia is otic. BUT you can also mix all of that up because convenia also gives serenity with all of the skin problems, and osurnia is convenient. But once you actually pick up the bottle or tube it’s easy to remember.

Reactions: Keri

Trilt

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Tramadol and trazadone is annoying lol

Also simplicef and simparica
My brain desperately wants to mix up omeprazole and sucralfate.

Which, like, if my brain is gonna screw two drugs up... really benign problem to have. But all my assistants know that when I try and write omeprazole dissolved in H2O TID that I need a slap on the wrist.

Reactions: cdoconn and Coopah

mmmdreamerz

c/o 2021
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
My brain desperately wants to mix up omeprazole and sucralfate.

Which, like, if my brain is gonna screw two drugs up... really benign problem to have. But all my assistants know that when I try and write omeprazole dissolved in H2O TID that I need a slap on the wrist.
I mean if your going to mix up some drugs, that’s the two to screw up for sure lol.

I was in a room this weekend where the client kept telling me she gave tramadol to her anxious dog before her apt and even though I knew she meant trazadone, it had me all screwed up on which one I was writing down lol

DVMDream

Don't disturb the snowflakes
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian

Uhhhh.... osurnia sounds like convenia? or cerenia? Really?

And that one is kind of hard to confuse since it is an otic gel.....

I am confuzzled how that got lumped in with convenia/cerenia.

Trilt

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Uhhhh.... osurnia sounds like convenia? or cerenia? Really?

And that one is kind of hard to confuse since it is an otic gel.....

I am confuzzled how that got lumped in with convenia/cerenia.
It ends in "-nia"? Usually people just say the wrong one accidentally then realize what they did. :shrug:

DVMDream

7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
It ends in "-nia"? Usually people just say the wrong one accidentally then realize what they did. :shrug:
Maybe I Just don't use osurnia enough..... because it sucks :p ;)

Definitely confuse convenia/cerenia at times. At least the volume you'd give a pet is the same for these drugs so if you have an "oops" probably not a big deal. I love the smell of cerenia so I'm always looking for that particular smell when using it.

Reactions: PippyPony

Caiter92

Definitely not a cucumber with anxiety
2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Hey you know what, if you like that then just keep doing you. I’ll stick with smelling my pyrantel and vanilla marshmallow compounded metoclopramide :)
My rabbit is on metoclopramide and i love the smell too lol

Squeaksmom

2020 baby
5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2013
Status
Veterinary Student
Not drugs, but I mix up listeria and botulism. I don't even know... my brain did not come with an instruction manual! :laugh:

dyachei

vet robot pirate zombie
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
Maybe I Just don't use osurnia enough..... because it sucks :p ;)

Definitely confuse convenia/cerenia at times. At least the volume you'd give a pet is the same for these drugs so if you have an "oops" probably not a big deal. I love the smell of cerenia so I'm always looking for that particular smell when using it.
claro is definitely the better of the 2

Reactions: that redhead

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Cerenia smells awesome. Some people like the smell of gasoline.....not that's weird.
I never said it was, I was just translating. Some people also like the smell of that rubber cement glue we used in class in elementary school. Including my sister and I

DVMDream

7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
The Dragon School
Status
Veterinarian
I never said it was, I was just translating. Some people also like the smell of that rubber cement glue we used in class in elementary school. Including my sister and I
Yeah that glue does smell good.....

Reactions: SkiOtter

WildZoo

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinary Student
:whoa:

Caiter92

Definitely not a cucumber with anxiety
2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
…amoxicillin and amox/clav suspensions smell pretty great.
I had step approx 5 billion times as a kid so was on amoxi a bunch, and liquid amoxi actually tastes delicious to me :laugh:

PippyPony

not a wolf
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2013
dead chat
Status
Veterinary Student
Not really a medication, but does anyone like the smell of bag balm? Very similar to cerenia/band-aid scent, big fan. I think maybe it's the lanolin?

@DVMDream

I also love the smell of iron supplements

(Also one of my favorite cocktails is a blood & sand and one of my favorite beers is called Steel Rail ...I may have a weird affinity for metallic flavored things)

WildZoo

Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2013
The doll factory
Status
Veterinary Student
Not really a medication, but does anyone like the smell of bag balm? Very similar to cerenia/band-aid scent, big fan. I think maybe it's the lanolin?

@DVMDream

(Also one of my favorite cocktails is a blood & sand and one of my favorite beers is called Steel Rail ...I may have a weird affinity for metallic flavored things)
Hmmm... :vamp:?

kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian
Iron deficiency?

@DVMDream

PippyPony

not a wolf
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2013
dead chat
Status
Veterinary Student

PippyPony

not a wolf
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2013
dead chat
Status
Veterinary Student
Iron deficiency?
Have been tested many times :shrug:

But I have always particularly liked foods with heavy amounts of iron, ever since I was a little kid.

Dubz's explanation is probably the right one.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
For some reason the smell makes me think of MTG :laugh:

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
I smelled an actual wet bandage today because of this convo, then I immediately felt embarrassed and moronic.

• Haha
Reactions: Caiter92 and Coopah

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Ughhhh I h8888888 the smell of baytril
Also ceftazidime smells like cat pee

And injectable Baytril is ACTUALLY the worst

But im serious, does anyone else use these 100mg clind tabs? They smell SOO GOOOOOD
View attachment 262324
Those tabs are used for pretty much any medication that Wedgewood compounds. So the marshmallow clindamycin is exactly the same as the other marshmallow ones from wedgewood since they use the same base and just add whichever drug to it. I was at a shelter fundraiser/fun run today and a couple employees of Wedgewood stopped by my hospital’s table. It was great to get validation from them that I’m not crazy for loving the smell of their compounded drugs. I also told them that I’ve tried the blank samples that they’ve sent us, and they’re pretty good. They told me that that wasn’t uncommon or weird. Unless they were just humoring me.

All these compounded drugs really makes me want to ask my pharmacy to compound my medication.

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
All these compounded drugs really makes me want to ask my pharmacy to compound my medication.
So much more money tho
My dogs is $45 compounded into capsules and the human pill that’s too high in strength is $10-15 from CVS:hilarious: