JaynaAli

Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2013
Status
Veterinarian
Considering compounded meds aren't monitored by the FDA for quality, safety, or effectiveness, I feel like it probably isn't smart for someone who is scared of medication to go the compounded route unless absolutely necessary...

Reactions: SkiOtter

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
So much more money tho
My dogs is $45 compounded into capsules and the human pill that’s too high in strength is $10-15 from CVS:hilarious:
Yes but how much is happiness worth when instead of taking a boring pill you’re chewing on marshmallow flavored Zoloft?

Probably not an extra $50 but idk

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Yes but how much is happiness worth when instead of taking a boring pill you’re chewing on marshmallow flavored Zoloft?

Probably not an extra $50 but idk
I feel like your insurance is gonna reject it too :laugh:
So gonna be waaaaaaay more than just $50 extra :dead:

Reactions: ajs513

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Given that I’ll probably have to pay for my rabies shots out of pocket seeing how blue cross handles it, maybe I’ll just suffer with my boring pills.
*psst* they may pay for it-me and friend got it paid for despite them telling us 100000% NO multiple times so :shrug: so there is a little hope it wont be out of pocket

Reactions: SkiOtter and ajs513

Caiter92

Definitely not a cucumber with anxiety
2+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2015
Status
Veterinary Student
Given that I’ll probably have to pay for my rabies shots out of pocket seeing how blue cross handles it, maybe I’ll just suffer with my boring pills.
I have a solution. Dip them in marshmallow fluff before taking. You’re welcome :p

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
*psst* they may pay for it-me and friend got it paid for despite them telling us 100000% NO multiple times so :shrug: so there is a little hope it wont be out of pocket
Caiter has a solution for meds I have a solution for this
Get bit by an animal!

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
Fun fact my BFF did this route in Mexico on a pre-vet trip thingy. Cost her more to go the get bit route but idk what her insurance is
Friend potentially didn’t have it covered because out of the country? Maybe? Idk man
My insurance tried to tell me they’d only cover it if it was post-exp so there was a momentary consideration :laugh:
It ended up being fully covered somehow and Walgreens DID bill it as pre-exp because I asked about 12 times because I could not believe it

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Made perfect sense, entire post.
*hug*
Stay strong.

Reactions: Elkhart

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Friend potentially didn’t have it covered because out of the country? Maybe? Idk man
My insurance tried to tell me they’d only cover it if it was post-exp so there was a momentary consideration
It ended up being fully covered somehow and Walgreens DID bill it as pre-exp because I asked about 12 times because I could not believe it
Post exposure was covered but not 100% since you have to go to er to do post exposure she had a pretty hefty bill even after insurance

Elkhart

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2015
Missouri
embroideryofthestars.com
Made perfect sense, entire post.
*hug*
Stay strong.
Always here for you Elkhart
I know it's something you've heard a thousand times by now probably @Elkhart but your failure doesn't define you. I hope that you can find your way, and it is super valid to feel the way you do re: former classmates. I 100% understand.
it took me years to find the right medication, elkhart. Dont give up yet! Finding the right one makes a huge difference
I appreciate you all. Thanks for the encouragement and support. <3

Skimble

With Beans
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2014
Pennsylvania
Status
Veterinary Student
Today sucks. I just want it to be over and I don't feel like celebrating mother's day.

• Sad
Reactions: Elkhart

LyraGardenia

Kansas State c/o 2020
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2013
The Little Apple
Status
Veterinary Student
Going back to meds that smell good, my favorite was Viralys (lysine supplement for cats) which smells like maple syrup!

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Going back to meds that smell good, my favorite was Viralys (lysine supplement for cats) which smells like maple syrup!
That’s something I never understood. Cat’s can’t taste sweet. So what does maple taste like to them, and why would a company choose maple flavoring over any savory flavor?

But yea viralys smells great and I might taste it next time I have the chance

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
This season of Game of Thrones has proven that people on social media (mainly Facebook) care more about being relevant than being fair to people who haven’t watched the episodes yet and not posting spoilers. Not even 24 hours after this past episode aired and I’ve already seen several from people. And it’s not even like they’re status updates with text spoilers. They’re actual pictures from the episode of characters who died and making memes out of them to try to be trendy.

• Angry
Reactions: kcoughli and Coopah

SkiOtter

c/o 2022
2+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2016
Status
Veterinary Student
This season of Game of Thrones has proven that people on social media (mainly Facebook) care more about being relevant than being fair to people who haven’t watched the episodes yet and not posting spoilers. Not even 24 hours after this past episode aired and I’ve already seen several from people. And it’s not even like they’re status updates with text spoilers. They’re actual pictures from the episode of characters who died and making memes out of them to try to be trendy.
Avoid social media like the plague when there’s something you haven’t seen. Can’t force everyone to be quiet on related pages or their own statuses.

I saw so many spoilers posted for endgame ON UNRELATED PAGES AND POSTS and I was pretty mad FOR all the people who got it spoiled by actual people trying to be dicks even though I’m not planning on seeing the movie ever.
I def ranted to @batsenecal and @SportPonies about it :laugh:

Reactions: SportPonies

batsenecal

U of I c/o 2021
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2013
Perpetual state of disarray
Status
Veterinary Student
I legit don't go on social media until I see it. I went without social media for a week cause I couldn't see the first episode the night it came out. I don't trust people.

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
Avoid social media like the plague when there’s something you haven’t seen.
FTFY. I sign into Facebook once every 12-18 months. Addiction hath been brokeneth. :cool:
(And I was on when it was called "The Facebook" in like 2004ish lol.)

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003

kcoughli

Lab Animal Resident
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2013
Chicago, IL
Status
Veterinarian
Avoid social media like the plague when there’s something you haven’t seen. Can’t force everyone to be quiet on related pages or their own statuses.

I saw so many spoilers posted for endgame ON UNRELATED PAGES AND POSTS and I was pretty mad FOR all the people who got it spoiled by actual people trying to be dicks even though I’m not planning on seeing the movie ever.
I def ranted to @batsenecal and @SportPonies about it :laugh:
For whatever reason Endgame never got spoiled for me despite being on social media. HOWEVER I logged into FB the morning after S8 E3 aired on GoT and was smacked in the face with a meme with a giant effing spoiler for it. I literally watched it later that evening but people could not wait even one day to ruin it for the rest of us. Now I force myself and the hubs to watch it the night it comes out even if it does keep me up past my bedtime (which is stupid early these days thanks to the spawn). Spoilers are the worst.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
For whatever reason Endgame never got spoiled for me despite being on social media. HOWEVER I logged into FB the morning after S8 E3 aired on GoT and was smacked in the face with a meme with a giant effing spoiler for it. I literally watched it later that evening but people could not wait even one day to ruin it for the rest of us. Now I force myself and the hubs to watch it the night it comes out even if it does keep me up past my bedtime (which is stupid early these days thanks to the spawn). Spoilers are the worst.
I’m usually pretty good at keeping up to date with shows and movies I really care about. But this past episode I was so tired after being out all day for Mother’s Day that I passed out 10 minutes into the episode. And I suffered for it. I feel bad posting anything that has remotely any spoilers in it even a few weeks after an episode airs. I can’t imagine feeling no shame for blasting it all over social media the second it happens in the live airing. Literally the second something happened people were on Facebook saying “wow can you believe that [character] did [really important thing]!!?!”

• Angry
Reactions: kcoughli

officialood

Dublin 2020
2+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2015
Ireland
Status
Veterinary Student
I want to know who the **** decided making the final worth 40% of our grade was a good idea.
I'll trade you for our 100% final :arghh: :p

• Wow
Reactions: capri1722

capri1722

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nov 14, 2017
Status
Pharmacy Student
Every class ever, minimum :laugh:
My other finals were worth, like, average 20% of my grade I think. I think the next-highest was worth 33% (because, after having students telling them so for years, they finally realized having two exams make up 100% of the grade in a class that's already super hard was stupid) and after that was like 22%.

Coopah

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
Status
Veterinary Student
My other finals were worth, like, average 20% of my grade I think. I think the next-highest was worth 33% (because, after having students telling them so for years, they finally realized having two exams make up 100% of the grade in a class that's already super hard was stupid) and after that was like 22%.
That's amazing that they listened at all. We have plenty of exams that are only worth like 6-15% of our grade and the final is worth 45% typically.

StayingPositive2017

Michigan State CVM c/o 2022
Aug 2, 2017
Woof Chat
Status
Veterinary Student
Usually our exams are 80% of class grade. So if there are two, then 30%/50% or 40% each

Reactions: Coopah

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Petty rant. I live in an apartment complex. We got new upstairs neighbors. I swear they do not know how to do anything quietly :1rolleyes:
Update: its 1120 PM so and I have to work nice and early. They were literally just yelling-sounds like they're playing video games. Like S.T.O.P. -GO TO BED OR AT LEAST BE QUIET.

Last edited:

grebes4lyfe

Wine loving wolf
Jun 26, 2018
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Petty rant. I live in an apartment complex. We got new upstairs neighbors. I swear they do not know how to do anything quietly :1rolleyes:
Update: its 1120 PM so and I have to work nice and early. They were literally just yelling-sounds like they're playing video games. Like S.T.O.P. -GO TO BED OR AT LEAST BE QUIET.
Does your apt complex have any quiet hours? Mine has “quiet hours” between 10pm-7am on weekdays. I think they start at like 11:30 or something on weekends. which pretty much just means that we’re not supposed to be obnoxiously loud at night and gives us grounds to make noise complaints. My upstairs neighbors are also terrible and used to move furniture at all times of the day and night (like literally, I would hear heavy furniture being dragged across the floor at 3am right above my bed). I complained. They keep the weird furniture moving to daylight hours now at least.

Trilt

puppy snuggler extraordinaire
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Apartment quiet hours just remind me of the time myself and a couple friends (literally four total) got the police called on us for being too loud. No request from the neighbour first. Just KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK please open up!

We were nowhere near trashed or anything, just had a couple beers out, and were watching The Princess and the Frog.

The officer looked at us, then the TV when we indicated what we were watching, laughed, and requested we maybe sing a bit quieter. :laugh:

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Does anyone else who works close-ish to the school they’re attending/will be attending have this experience?

Client: Oh you’re a vet student? Where?
Me: I’m going to Penn in the fall. I’m really excited.
Client: That’s great. But I had the worst experience when I took Fluffy to the hospital there. They upcharged me and couldn’t figure out what was wrong. It was horrible and I’m never going back.

Like... okay? What would you like me to say to that? Sorry the charges are more than they are at this one doctor practice? Sorry that sometimes pets (like humans) can’t be fixed? I don’t know. It’s just something that I’ve heard several times from different clients and I don’t understand why they think that’s an acceptable thing to say. Most of the replies from clients who have been there, which is a lot of people since we’re only 30 minutes away from VHUP, are positive and praising the staff for saving their pets’ lives. It’s not necessary to talk about your experience at all, but at least it’s not cringey if it’s a positive one. But does anyone know what I’m talking about? It makes me so uncomfortable.

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Behind the green curtains
Status
Veterinarian
Does anyone else who works close-ish to the school they’re attending/will be attending have this experience?

Client: That’s great. But I had the worst experience when I took Fluffy to the hospital there. They upcharged me and couldn’t figure out what was wrong. It was horrible and I’m never going back.

Like... okay? What would you like me to say to that? Sorry the charges are more than they are at this one doctor practice? Sorry that sometimes pets (like humans) can’t be fixed? I don’t know. It’s just something that I’ve heard several times from different clients and I don’t understand why they think that’s an acceptable thing to say. Most of the replies from clients who have been there, which is a lot of people since we’re only 30 minutes away from VHUP, are positive and praising the staff for saving their pets’ lives. It’s not necessary to talk about your experience at all, but at least it’s not cringey if it’s a positive one. But does anyone know what I’m talking about? It makes me so uncomfortable.
This is something all vets are exposed to. Not meaning that a client is complaining about Penn specifically, but another vet they've taken "Fluffy" to. Vet bashing is unfortunately quite common and one of the pitfalls of the profession is to at any time start judging said vet at a client's word. It's a minefield out there, so best start practicing your "I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I will do my best for Fluffy."

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
This is something all vets are exposed to. Not meaning that a client is complaining about Penn specifically, but another vet they've taken "Fluffy" to. Vet bashing is unfortunately quite common and one of the pitfalls of the profession is to at any time start judging said vet at a client's word. It's a mine field out there, so best start practicing your "I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I will do my best for Fluffy."
I’ve definitely experienced it with clients transferring from other local hospitals, and that’s pretty much always what I say. But specifically when I talk about how I’m going to vet school, there are some clients who feel the need to immediately talk about their bad experience about the hospital the second I say where I’m going to school. It’s only been a handful of people, but I just don’t get it. Usually the response is “congratulations! That’s really great.” Instead these people feel the need to vet bash. It’s just so weird.

Lupin21

Do Not Disturb
Staff member
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2012
Behind the green curtains
Status
Veterinarian
I’ve definitely experienced it with clients transferring from other local hospitals, and that’s pretty much always what I say. But specifically when I talk about how I’m going to vet school, there are some clients who feel the need to immediately talk about their bad experience about the hospital the second I say where I’m going to school. It’s only been a handful of people, but I just don’t get it. Usually the response is “congratulations! That’s really great.” Instead these people feel the need to vet bash. It’s just so weird.
Yup. Humans are confounding at times. Keeps my neck muscles in shape from shaking my head. ha

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
This is something all vets are exposed to. Not meaning that a client is complaining about Penn specifically, but another vet they've taken "Fluffy" to. Vet bashing is unfortunately quite common and one of the pitfalls of the profession is to at any time start judging said vet at a client's word. It's a minefield out there, so best start practicing your "I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I will do my best for Fluffy."
Also I just realized what you meant. In their minds they’re not talking about the school anymore, but just another vet. That makes sense.

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Pre-Veterinary

Also realizing that alot of people dont realize the cost of medicine and that just because they couldn't figure it out doesnt mean the vet is dumb or stupid or anything. Plus there are just some people that will never be happy no matter what. You should hear some of the requests our vth gets after reviews.
Ex we should provide cots for customers within the vth that have traveled a long way.
Fyi there are literally 3 hotels within 5 minutes of our hospital.

Wait til you meet a true vet hater. I can normally wiggle my way out by moving to my LA side talking about food safety but strict small animal peeps good luck.

ajs513

PennVet c/o 2023
Feb 15, 2018
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Also realizing that alot of people dont realize the cost of medicine and that just because they couldn't figure it out doesnt mean the vet is dumb or stupid or anything. Plus there are just some people that will never be happy no matter what. You should hear some of the requests our vth gets after reviews.
Ex we should provide cots for customers within the vth that have traveled a long way.
Fyi there are literally 3 hotels within 5 minutes of our hospital.

Wait til you meet a true vet hater. I can normally wiggle my way out by moving to my LA side talking about food safety but strict small animal peeps good luck.
That’s the big thing I think that separates us from human GP’s. The majority of people who go to a human GP never see the cost. It’s also why my office recommends insurance to everyone with a new puppy. Those people always end up the happiest and least stressed because while they have to cover the bill initially, they know they’ll get most of that money back and will only be responsible for their percent and deductible. It takes some of the financial worry out of an already stressful situation. I’ve never met a client (yet) who has had insurance and was still stressed about the bill. In fact, several have requested specifically that we do every diagnostic possible to figure out the problem. It’s great being able to simply practice medicine and do what you’re supposed to do without having to sacrifice care for a budget, as it usually works in human medicine when people have insurance.

And I haven’t met a true vet hater yet, but I’ve met some super kooky holistic people. One woman saw the pet odor eliminator candles we sell and burn at the front desk, and complained about the chemicals and how they’re toxic to pets. Ugh. And when I sprayed down the table in the exam room with Rescue, she came in after and started hacking saying it reeked of chemicals. Rescue is basically just peroxide... whatever

Reactions: Doctor-S

MixedAnimals77

Trash Panda C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
May 16, 2016
with the livestock
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Does your apt complex have any quiet hours? Mine has “quiet hours” between 10pm-7am on weekdays. I think they start at like 11:30 or something on weekends. which pretty much just means that we’re not supposed to be obnoxiously loud at night and gives us grounds to make noise complaints. My upstairs neighbors are also terrible and used to move furniture at all times of the day and night (like literally, I would hear heavy furniture being dragged across the floor at 3am right above my bed). I complained. They keep the weird furniture moving to daylight hours now at least.
Apartment quiet hours just remind me of the time myself and a couple friends (literally four total) got the police called on us for being too loud. No request from the neighbour first. Just KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK please open up!

We were nowhere near trashed or anything, just had a couple beers out, and were watching The Princess and the Frog.

The officer looked at us, then the TV when we indicated what we were watching, laughed, and requested we maybe sing a bit quieter.
Lol I think were gonna give them a solid week to settle in-they were also moving furniture late. If they dont get quieter might just go talk to them. Part of the problem is so sometimes works nights so hopefully let them get moved in and if not just explaining that he works at night and I get up early that'll suffice. I'd rather not have to complain but I will if need be.

Apr 30, 2019
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Grades for this past semester were just released. To remain in my university's honors program I need an overall GPA of 3.400 minimum. After this semester I have an overall 3.399. Guess who's going to be put on a temporary academic probation over 0.001 GPA points :annoyed: