RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its just so frustrating that in human med they want all this preventive med and get it done pretty quick but when you actually need a dr when things go wrong things move at the pace of molasses.
Except sometimes it’s the other way around! For example, in human dentistry, insurance won’t cover root planing (scaling) until there’s a certain amount of bone loss. But if you get root planing, that will prevent further bone loss. So you either have to suffer with infection for several months/years until you lose enough bone to be covered (and maybe lose your teeth) or shell out hundreds for the root planing to save your teeth. It’s absolutely backwards.

Members don't see this ad.

Except sometimes it’s the other way around! For example, in human dentistry, insurance won’t cover root planing (scaling) until there’s a certain amount of bone loss. But if you get root planing, that will prevent further bone loss. So you either have to suffer with infection for several months/years until you lose enough bone to be covered (and maybe lose your teeth) or shell out hundreds for the root planing to save your teeth. It’s absolutely backwards.
Dental and eye insurance are different though since I'm referring strictly to medical. Though they have their problems too- delta dental covers like nothing while cigna covers much more

Can you get your doctor to prescribe it? My insurance told me that at one point, since I worked in a high risk environment for rabies exposure.
Or, if you'll have student insurance for the school year if that'll cover it. I does at my school
My insurance kept on telling me they definitely wouldn't cover my rabies vax, and then a few months after I got them, they reimbursed my parents for almost the whole cost! It's a wild world out there.

I don't think I'll get out of it - when I called to ask the woman told me specifically that vaccinations for school are not covered. While they may(??) be covered by the school insurance, it's still cheaper for me to stay on my basically-free insurance than pay for theirs!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I'll get out of it - when I called to ask the woman told me specifically that vaccinations for school are not covered. While they may(??) be covered by the school insurance, it's still cheaper for me to stay on my basically-free insurance than pay for theirs!
I was specifically told that they wouldn't be covered by BCBS, but they ended up doing it anyway, so you just might be surprised! Either way, it's nice that you'll still be saving money either way!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm NPO from 6 AM. I got up at 5 (which is no big deal... that's what time I get up when I'm in school) so I could take my meds and have a cup of coffee. But I flippin hate being NPO! Also I have terrible veins (see above) and I'm going to need an IV. Clearly that's going to go better if I'm dehydrated... yes? <sigh>.

• Sad
I'm NPO from 6 AM. I got up at 5 (which is no big deal... that's what time I get up when I'm in school) so I could take my meds and have a cup of coffee. But I flippin hate being NPO! Also I have terrible veins (see above) and I'm going to need an IV. Clearly that's going to go better if I'm dehydrated... yes? <sigh>.
You’re not even allowed to have water?? :(

You’re not even allowed to have water?? :(
Nope. Because it's gastroscopy (+ esophageal biopsies) they don't want anything in there, which I get, but it still sucks! It had just better be conclusive....

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
I previously typed something out here but I deleted it because I didn't like how it sounded.
My class had student council elections this week. I ran for secretary and lost. On its own, no big deal.
But this is the position I've held for a year already. I was the only one who ran for this position back in August. Being the first-year secretary meant that I also had to be involved with Executive Student Council (working with all four classes), which meant I had to put in extra work that my successor won't have to simply by virtue of being the second-year secretary. I was really looking forward to next year.
And now…I'm just really hurt. And angry. I found out two days ago and I still tear up sometimes when I talk about it. I happened to run into the current VP today and she said I only missed it by two votes* which makes me feel better and worse, I think. Better, because if it was 100% the popularity contest I thought it was on Monday, I would have lost in a landslide. But worse because I was almost there. Every other organization has already had their elections so I can't run for anything else next year and I'm kind of having an existential crisis mixed with a pity party.

* She also told me some other stuff about the election results that I expected. Like because the president and VP positions had the same people running for them (with one different, each), it ended up splitting the vote so that the ones who only ran for one or the other won the election.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Aw that sucks. Hoping for the best to at least make it worth it :(
Well, I survived. I'm still quite stoned (midazolam & fentanyl sedation) but I've eaten and drank and taken my evening meds. He found some stuff (apparently I have a hiatal hernia that I knew nothing about) but the biopsies will tell the real story.

Well, I survived. I'm still quite stoned (midazolam & fentanyl sedation) but I've eaten and drank and taken my evening meds. He found some stuff (apparently I have a hiatal hernia that I knew nothing about) but the biopsies will tell the real story.
Oh that’s fun. Hoping for some answers for you on your biopsies!!
Glad you survived and have gotten to eat and drink things!

Reactions: 2 users
I can already tell I'm going to be super frustrated today! I feel fine, and I need groceries, but I'm not allowed to drive yet because the sedation's still in my system. I'm legally impaired for 24 hours. Mom picks up my son on Thursdays since it's early dismissal and they do stuff together. I'm hoping she'll be willing to give me a ride....

Members don't see this ad :)
I previously typed something out here but I deleted it because I didn't like how it sounded.
My class had student council elections this week. I ran for secretary and lost. On its own, no big deal.
But this is the position I've held for a year already. I was the only one who ran for this position back in August. Being the first-year secretary meant that I also had to be involved with Executive Student Council (working with all four classes), which meant I had to put in extra work that my successor won't have to simply by virtue of being the second-year secretary. I was really looking forward to next year.
And now…I'm just really hurt. And angry. I found out two days ago and I still tear up sometimes when I talk about it. I happened to run into the current VP today and she said I only missed it by two votes* which makes me feel better and worse, I think. Better, because if it was 100% the popularity contest I thought it was on Monday, I would have lost in a landslide. But worse because I was almost there. Every other organization has already had their elections so I can't run for anything else next year and I'm kind of having an existential crisis mixed with a pity party.

* She also told me some other stuff about the election results that I expected. Like because the president and VP positions had the same people running for them (with one different, each), it ended up splitting the vote so that the ones who only ran for one or the other won the election.
Oh man, I feel you on this so much. I was a class rep for 2 years and wasn’t re-elected my third year, and it HURT. I had done a lot of stuff for my class that was beyond the responsibilities of class rep that went unnoticed or unappreciated, and I felt like I’d been punched when I got the results.

You’re welcome to PM if you need to vent. I’ve been in your shoes and it’s no fun.

I have a new musical I’m obsessed with and 1) it’s finals week so I really need to not focus on it, 2) there’s no OBC album until next month, and 3) I want to see it this summer when I visit my bf but tix are expensive
:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

I have a new musical I’m obsessed with and 1) it’s finals week so I really need to not focus on it, 2) there’s no OBC album until next month, and 3) I want to see it this summer when I visit my bf but tix are expensive
:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

Ooooh which musical?

My favourite one that I haven't seen came through town for 5 days a couple months ago and I was too poor to justify the cost :(

My husband has a school loan that was in deference and he didn’t know it existed until he was notified that the payments were way late. He spent some time on the phone asking why it wasn’t visible in the loan portal etc etc but no one was very helpful. So it was like, surprise - here’s another $8k you owe that you didn’t know about and now you’re in trouble because it’s late.

It’s all a racket, man.

@Elkhart **** sucks right now and I'm so sorry for that. Are you on income based repayment? I make a bit more than you but am still on $0 payments because of IBR. I know it doesn't help push the loan numbers down but then you could just pay what you feel like you can spare each month instead of having to worry about large payments when you have so many other things to worry about.

Come From Away. I'm from Newfoundland so have a special place in my heart for that story haha
I’ve heard wonderful things about that one! I tend to get very obsessed with a new musical every Tony season and that year it was The Great Comet, so I haven’t listened to that one too much.

IMG_2815.jpg

LMAO “FOR A FEE”

Of course they are

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users
View attachment 261089

LMAO “FOR A FEE”

Of course they are
They first offered PTE during the cycle I applied (2015-2016)... and, though I didn't use it, from what other SDNers who did relayed, it was an utter disaster. You can find old posts about if you search around. I'd be curious to see if it goes any more swimmingly this time. Probably not, knowing VMCAS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stand the collectors going after friends and family members.
If you're interested, check out CreditBoards . It's where I armed myself with knowledge on Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). The latter is where to focus re: family, friends, and colleagues getting asked about you. There are ways to not have them contact you via phone at all and do everything by mail (phone is STRONGLY ill advised anyways since there's no paper trail when they violate you, meaning you have to record all conversations... it's much easier to do things via mail CMRRR). If the debt collectors violated Third Party Disclosure (TPD) and actually talked about your debt to family and co-workers, you can sue in small claims court without a lawyer (pro se) for $1000 per violation. Assuming you can prove it of course.

Seven violations and there goes that one loan. :laugh:

Regardless, hang in there, and people here love you, Elkie.

-Another person drowning in debt :lame:

Last edited:
I'm on PAYE, which ended up being the cheapest repayment option available for me. Actually, my loan payment amounts are currently being recalculated based on my 2018 taxes, and it's looking like my minimum monthly payments will likely also drop to $0 since I make so little. That will help somewhat.
I'm on REPAYE, and it only helped my Staffords, which dropped to $0 monthly. My Perkins don't give a darn, so I gotta pay up, even in periods of $0 income. My private loans (Navient, fka SallieMae) are toxic beyond belief, and are $400/month now, and they don't give a toot if you're making $0 income. Private loans are not even forgiven at death like federal loans -- they'll come after your estate. :barf:

I'm on REPAYE, and it only helped my Staffords, which dropped to $0 monthly. My Perkins don't give a darn, so I gotta pay up, even in periods of $0 income. My private loans (Navient, fka SallieMae) are toxic beyond belief, and are $400/month now, and they don't give a toot if you're making $0 income. Private loans are not even forgiven at death like federal loans -- they'll come after your estate. :barf:
Yikes, that's nasty. As deep as I am in this hole, I'm grateful at least to my past self for not taking out any private loans for school. Can't even imagine how much worse 2018 would have been since I spent the majority of the year unemployed.

Didn't they offer this last year and it was a huge cluster****? I feel like I remember people venting about it either on here or on the APVMA Facebook.

It sounds familiar but it definitely wasn’t a thing my year...I just know VMCAS could barely do the jobs they already had lol

It sounds familiar but it definitely wasn’t a thing my year...I just know VMCAS could barely do the jobs they already had lol
They offered it a couple years ago, I think the year after I applied (someone may have mentioned his already). It was a bit of a ****show.

Stomach flu / food poisoning is the absolute worst.
Oh hey I also had food poisoning this morning.

Woke up at 4 am and immediately vomited everything. Every time I tried to leave the toilet, I would vomit again. So I passed out on my toilet for an hour, until I felt okay to go to bed, but just nauseous. At this point it’s 5:30, Simba decided that since I was already up, we should go outside and go potty.

So I hobble down the stairs, almost threw up in a sink, made it to the toilet instead, and overall have wanted to die all day.

Stopped vomiting (thankfully) but I’ve been nauseous all day.

• Sad
I just had the scariest thing happen and I don't even know how to described it and I'm just terrified but I am happy everything is ok.
My partner and I took the cats out on their harnesses (they are indoor only) in the backyard. When we were outside, I heard a woodpecker but couldn't see it well so I went in quickly to grab my binoculars. When I came back, jasmine utterly freaked out. I dont know how to describe it. She started flailing on the harness, and couldn't stop. She was jumping and twisting her body in the air and could not stop. I didn't know what to do. I started screaming and tried catching her. I was afraid she was going to break her neck or get out the harness and run away. I grabbed her and she clawed all over my arms and back. There's a bit of blood. I didn't feel anything. I finally got hold of her and brought her back inside. She is ok. She drank a bunch of water and slinked/limped around a little and is lying next to me now. My bf cleaned out all the cuts all over me with alcohol. I've just been crying, not because it even hurts but because I was so afraid I was going to lose her or that she was going to get hurt. I have no idea what happened or what was going through her head. It almost seemed like she had a panic attack and couldn't control it and it just kept escalating. We are both ok, I guess that's all that matters.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
I just had the scariest thing happen and I don't even know how to described it and I'm just terrified but I am happy everything is ok.
My partner and I took the cats out on their harnesses (they are indoor only) in the backyard. When we were outside, I heard a woodpecker but couldn't see it well so I went in quickly to grab my binoculars. When I came back, jasmine utterly freaked out. I dont know how to describe it. She started flailing on the harness, and couldn't stop. She was jumping and twisting her body in the air and could not stop. I didn't know what to do. I started screaming and tried catching her. I was afraid she was going to break her neck or get out the harness and run away. I grabbed her and she clawed all over my arms and back. There's a bit of blood. I didn't feel anything. I finally got hold of her and brought her back inside. She is ok. She drank a bunch of water and slinked/limped around a little and is lying next to me now. My bf cleaned out all the cuts all over me with alcohol. I've just been crying, not because it even hurts but because I was so afraid I was going to lose her or that she was going to get hurt. I have no idea what happened or what was going through her head. It almost seemed like she had a panic attack and couldn't control it and it just kept escalating. We are both ok, I guess that's all that matters.
Like not as in 'like' but 'I'm glad everyone's okay'. That's so unexpected and so scary, I'm glad you got her inside safely!

One of my cats has done that a few times because he’s very shy. I just crouch down and pin the leash to the ground, and in a few seconds he stops jumping and tries to hide under me. The first time he did it, it seemed like the jumping around would never end. Subsequent times have been much shorter, since it seems like he’s learned he can just hide under me. He reacts to people outside, especially kids on bikes so we only go out when it’s quiet. And he does a lot better if he stays close to hiding places (not in the middle of a treeless yard).

Back when I was dating my husband, he decided to take his declawed indoor-only cat outdoors on a leash with no prior leash training, and of course the cat got startled by something, tried to get away, and then panicked when he realized the leash prevented him from escaping. I had my husband throw his jacket over the cat and that stopped the panic.

Glad you’re both ok!

They first offered PTE during the cycle I applied (2015-2016)... and, though I didn't use it, from what other SDNers who did relayed, it was an utter disaster. You can find old posts about if you search around. I'd be curious to see if it goes any more swimmingly this time. Probably not, knowing VMCAS.

I did this the first year it was offered. They were dumping all application information cycle to cycle at that point and I had spent a good solid 20 hours just entering my coursework into the system the year before so the prospect of doing all that work again was super demoralizing, especially since I was still in grad school and working full time.

If VMCAS had been upfront about all the details and the timeline, it would have been fine but they weren’t.....and they made a lot of mistakes (you get to review your coursework before it’s finalized).

I did this the first year it was offered. They were dumping all application information cycle to cycle at that point and I had spent a good solid 20 hours just entering my coursework into the system the year before so the prospect of doing all that work again was super demoralizing, especially since I was still in grad school and working full time.

If VMCAS had been upfront about all the details and the timeline, it would have been fine but they weren’t.....and they made a lot of mistakes (you get to review your coursework before it’s finalized).
I think that having to go back and fix mistakes is disconcerting. If I’m paying for a service, I want to have peace of mind that they’re going to put it in the way it’s supposed to be so that I don’t have to worry about it. If you have to go back and fix mistakes anyway, you’re really not saving all that much time. It took my I think just over 1 hour to actually enter everything in, and half an hour to check for mistakes. Granted I only went to one school for all my classes so maybe that helped, but I don’t see the value in paying for this if you have to fix it yourself anyway.

I've got no love for them

Attachments

• 308qwy.jpg
    308qwy.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: 8 users
LDRs suck. I miss my fiancé like crazy and I can't imagine 6 more years of this. I can't stop overthinking everything and distracting myself from studying, I need him to balance out my crazy. :( I know we'll get through it, but the idea of potentially spending our first 6 years of marriage like this physically hurts.

• Sad
Oh hey I also had food poisoning this morning.

Woke up at 4 am and immediately vomited everything. Every time I tried to leave the toilet, I would vomit again. So I passed out on my toilet for an hour, until I felt okay to go to bed, but just nauseous. At this point it’s 5:30, Simba decided that since I was already up, we should go outside and go potty.

So I hobble down the stairs, almost threw up in a sink, made it to the toilet instead, and overall have wanted to die all day.

Stopped vomiting (thankfully) but I’ve been nauseous all day.
Hi yes it is the worst. I basically was running to the toilet to vomit every 15-30 minutes for NINE HOURS!
Also, is it bad that when I saw this post I was like “KC’s pregnant again??!”
No lie, after the 3rd round of rushing to the bathroom my husband was like, "you can't be pregnant, right??" But no, this was worse than any morning sickness I had.

• Sad
Hi yes it is the worst. I basically was running to the toilet to vomit every 15-30 minutes for NINE HOURS!

No lie, after the 3rd round of rushing to the bathroom my husband was like, "you can't be pregnant, right??" But no, this was worse than any morning sickness I had.
Oh jeeeeesh! Sorry to hear that.

Are you feeling better now? I’m just nauseous, but now I can’t get a good breath in. Like, if my tidal volume should be 100 for proper ventilation, my lungs are stopping at 70-80. Which... is unfortunate. And a little painful.

I’m clearly dying so this is fun. If I die before I graduate I’m haunting the vet school I don’t even care. Spook tf out of some first years.

Oh jeeeeesh! Sorry to hear that.

Are you feeling better now? I’m just nauseous, but now I can’t get a good breath in. Like, if my tidal volume should be 100 for proper ventilation, my lungs are stopping at 70-80. Which... is unfortunate. And a little painful.

I’m clearly dying so this is fun. If I die before I graduate I’m haunting the vet school I don’t even care. Spook tf out of some first years.
Yes I am less death-like than I was this weekend, though I am still exhausted and going up a single flight of stairs wipes me out. Looking forward to feeling more normal eventually. Nausea still present but tolerable and have managed to eat some bland food with no major repercussions.

Lost 6lb over the weekend though thanks to disease, so that's fun.

The lung/breathing issues sound no bueno though :( hope you feel better soon

So to start my finals week off right, all three of my remaining grandparents are falling apart. Last week, one of them was hospitalized for cellulitis she had allowed to go untreated for an indiscriminate amount of time to the point that she was lethargic and unable to walk. She is in a skilled nursing facility now to essentially relearn to walk. The second one has been having memory problems and will drive off on occasion without anyone knowing his location (he has been getting progressively worse). And the third one, I just learned today, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. It was completely unexpected because I was not aware it was in our family (my mom was thinking it was misdiagnosed in his mother). He is a pathologist and has always been an extremely articulate, intelligent man. He just suddenly stopped speaking almost overnight. He has since developed more classic Alzheimer's symptoms. To make it worse, he is taking medication for atrial fibrillation that the doctors are wanting to discontinue because he will bleed out if he were to fall (which they say is inevitable). He is still "there" enough to know that he has Alzheimer's and to understand what is going to happen to him. The most heartbreaking part is that he had a discussion with my mom years ago and told her that if something like this were to ever happen to him, he would want to end his life.

I'm not worried about handling all this myself. Growing up with a sister with a chronic illness and the death of several of my great aunts/uncles and grandparents, this kind of stuff isn't new to me. I'm mostly just heartbroken over the fact that my grandparents have to watch themselves waste away and know its happening but not be able to do anything about it. And for my parents too.

All this just makes these finals seem so inconsequential when I'd rather be with my family. Four. More. Days.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users