RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed with TRH. Get the letter, get the unemployment, say bye, and wnjoy your vacay.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah, if you or anybody else bug me in May I can also add you to quite a few groups as I'm in a zillion of them for some reason. Including, if anyone is interested, separate pig and poultry groups lol. I think the only big one I'm not on are the horse groups and that's just because I try to keep those away as patients

Oh, and I know this applies to you but also if it does for anyone else, I'm in a Veterinarians with Chronic Disease support group as well if anyone is interested down the road
H e l l o I am vet now

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Just a bit of an unfortunate update, my boss said "I might do it sooner than July 1st then", implying that he'll fire me. Apparently one of my other coworkers approached him about wanting more hours. I personally just think my boss is mad at me because I was supposed to cover someone else's vacation that last week before I left on the 22nd. But he's also very cheap and tries to make people miserable so that they quit rather than him firing them so that he doesn't have to pay unemployment.

Regardless, I'll be asking for an official termination letter if he does let me go before July 1st so that I can collect unemployment. I also do have some hope though that he won't fire me, seeing as he will do anything in his power to avoid confrontation, so we'll see what happens. It's just very unfortunate that one of my coworkers forced my hand in this.
So I spoke with my boss today and said that I would need a written termination letter if he's going to let me go before my end date of July 1st and he said "you're terminating our verbal agreement that you would work until July 22nd so you can't get unemployment". I reminded him that a verbal agreement is not a contract and I'm being courteous about giving him 6 weeks notice. He's still being rude about it. My question is, does what he say have any truth to it? Or can I still collect unemployment if he fires me before July 1st because I expressed that I am willing and able to work until July 1st and he would therefore be terminating my employment early, resulting in lost wages?

He's really showing his true colors here.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I spoke with my boss today and said that I would need a written termination letter if he's going to let me go before my end date of July 1st and he said "you're terminating our verbal agreement that you would work until July 22nd so you can't get unemployment". I reminded him that a verbal agreement is not a contract and I'm being courteous about giving him 6 weeks notice. He's still being rude about it. My question is, does what he say have any truth to it? Or can I still collect unemployment if he fires me before July 1st because I expressed that I am willing and able to work until July 1st and he would therefore be terminating my employment early, resulting in lost wages?

He's got nothing.

Reactions: 11 users

Obligatory #DVMnotJD

No, when you fire someone, you pay unemployment when the employee files for it.

Reactions: 9 users
What a jerk @futuredrj00 - I’m sorry you’re having to deal with his pettiness.

Your verbal agreement is not a binding contract, he’s just trying to scare you off of filing for unemployment presumably. It just sucks that you’ll have to continue to work for him to get paid until you can leave.

Reactions: 7 users
This week is one of those weeks where I have a lot of angst and bitterness about how I could actually be making money right now :cautious: I am so tired of living the poor student life, lol. A friend of mine was talking about how she spent $11k on a saddle recently and it was not good for my mental health :laugh:

• Care
  • Wow
I’m with Trilt…I tend to accumulate lots of things but when moving time comes I am a major donate/trash it person. When I left residency I moved with only what would fit in my Honda CRV…now I have so much stuff again that it would take like a medium sized Uhaul to move it again.

Moving does suck though. I kinda enjoy packing early on because I’m excited, but by the end and especially once you get to the loading/unpacking
Phase I’m totally over it. Hopefully I don’t have to move again for years though, and if I do it’s because I build a house out in the country near where I live now. I’m so glad the No manic college/residency life is over.

I’m with Trilt…I tend to accumulate lots of things but when moving time comes I am a major donate/trash it person. When I left residency I moved with only what would fit in my Honda CRV…now I have so much stuff again that it would take like a medium sized Uhaul to move it again.

Moving does suck though. I kinda enjoy packing early on because I’m excited, but by the end and especially once you get to the loading/unpacking
Phase I’m totally over it. Hopefully I don’t have to move again for years though, and if I do it’s because I build a house out in the country near where I live now. I’m so glad the No manic college/residency life is over.
I have a hack for that too! Just never unpack~

*looks nervously at my garage*

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
A study I've been helping on is coming to a close and my horses are going down this week. I wasn't expecting to have such a hard time, as I saw this happen many times over when I was in pharmaceuticals, but I almost burst into tears in front of my professor at the barn this morning. Not a hard enough time such that I'm questioning my career choice, but it sucks, nonetheless.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
A study I've been helping on is coming to a close and my horses are going down this week. I wasn't expecting to have such a hard time, as I saw this happen many times over when I was in pharmaceuticals, but I almost burst into tears in front of my professor at the barn this morning. Not a hard enough time such that I'm questioning my career choice, but it sucks, nonetheless.
Im sorry. :( No matter what, there always seem to be projects and groups of animals that are somehow different. I dont know if this will help, but whenever I worked on a project where I got a little extra attached to the animals I always made sure I went in when I knew I'd be alone to give myselfn time to say good bye, and then I made a donation somewhere that seemed meaningful in their honor when they went down. For one I donated a small amount per animal to a veterinary hospital's charitable care fund, for one study there was a particlar toy the animals seemed to love and I donated a bunch to a shelter, for one I donated some toys and treats to a sanctuary. It may be silly, but I found it helped me to do something to sort of memorialize them.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Im sorry. :( No matter what, there always seem to be projects and groups of animals that are somehow different. I dont know if this will help, but whenever I worked on a project where I got a little extra attached to the animals I always made sure I went in when I knew I'd be alone to give myselfn time to say good bye, and then I made a donation somewhere that seemed meaningful in their honor when they went down. For one I donated a small amount per animal to a veterinary hospital's charitable care fund, for one study there was a particlar toy the animals seemed to love and I donated a bunch to a shelter, for one I donated some toys and treats to a sanctuary. It may be silly, but I found it helped me to do something to sort of memorialize them.

Thank you for this. I don't think any of it is silly and it's something I will do too. I appreciate the ideas.

I wanted to take a mental health day today, but I have a lot to do at work (including meetings and trainings with other people that I don’t want to have to reschedule) so it’s not happening. The rest of the week is similarly full. There isn’t usually any “good” day to take off of course and obviously if I were physically ill it wouldn’t matter and I’d have to be off. It’s just a bummer.

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I wanted to take a mental health day today, but I have a lot to do at work (including meetings and trainings with other people that I don’t want to have to reschedule) so it’s not happening. The rest of the week is similarly full. There isn’t usually any “good” day to take off of course and obviously if I were physically ill it wouldn’t matter and I’d have to be off. It’s just a bummer.
Feel free to ignore me but... reschedule the meetings. Like you said, if it were another illness that affected any other organ system you'd have to reschedule anyway, why are our brains less important?

I get it, it sucks, and when you get back to work after a day off it just feels like now you have 2 days worth of work to do in 1 day but having a day at home to rest your brain, walk outside in the sunshine, disconnect from the stresses at work, can be so so worth it.

Always here if you want to chat about things too. :)

Applying for a house loan. I swear these people or whoever wrote the laws must be stupid. They want verification of a deposit into my savings account from my checking. They have both bank statements. Not sure what in the world more they could want.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
Trying to find housing for the fall is awful.... Every time I think I'm getting somewhere, something falls through or doesn't work out. I don't want to commute since it would be 90 min-2 hours each way... but this is getting ridiculous at this point. I've been at this since mid February. And since I'm doing a 2 + 2 program, I get to do this all over again in two short years. I've never wished I was going to a four year school more in my life...

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Feel free to ignore me but... reschedule the meetings. Like you said, if it were another illness that affected any other organ system you'd have to reschedule anyway, why are our brains less important?

I get it, it sucks, and when you get back to work after a day off it just feels like now you have 2 days worth of work to do in 1 day but having a day at home to rest your brain, walk outside in the sunshine, disconnect from the stresses at work, can be so so worth it.

Always here if you want to chat about things too. :)
You’re totally right and I would give someone else the same advice!

It’s funny though, work isn’t the cause of my stress actually. It’s my personal life that’s draining me. We’ll see how the week goes, today wasn’t bad once I got going.

• Care
So fb memories informed me I graduated high school 10 years ago and I decided to go see if my class ended up planning anything in the facebook group they made a year or two ago that ya know, no one invited me to. They did indeed plan a reunion of sorts this weekend (doesn't look like many people are going). And in one of the comments one of the people says that everyone should "make sure to reach out to anyone that isn't on facebook".

Well ya know, I am on facebook. I'm facebook friends with a good number of you. I treated one of your pets as a vet student last year. I was literally middle school best friends with the girl who started the group and y'all still didn't remember to invite me.

I'm not even sure I would have wanted to go but I can't pretend it doesn't sting to be this forgotten about.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
So fb memories informed me I graduated high school 10 years ago and I decided to go see if my class ended up planning anything in the facebook group they made a year or two ago that ya know, no one invited me to. They did indeed plan a reunion of sorts this weekend (doesn't look like many people are going). And in one of the comments one of the people says that everyone should "make sure to reach out to anyone that isn't on facebook".

Well ya know, I am on facebook. I'm facebook friends with a good number of you. I treated one of your pets as a vet student last year. I was literally middle school best friends with the girl who started the group and y'all still didn't remember to invite me.

I'm not even sure I would have wanted to go but I can't pretend it doesn't sting to be this forgotten about.
Never attribute to malice what could equally be attributed to stupidity :)
Maybe they just genuinely thought you were already in the group?

Never attribute to malice what could equally be attributed to stupidity :)
Maybe they just genuinely thought you were already in the group?

I mean, I'm attributing it to laziness. :p

FB makes it really easy to sort your friends by who you went to HS with so even the most basic level of effort wasn't there since I'm FB friends with the group organizer herself. I just find it extra insulting paired with the comment about making sure to contact people who weren't on FB when they didn't even get the people who were.

It is what it is. In the grand scheme of things the people I went to HS with don't really matter as far as my life today is concerned. But I'm still gonna be salty about it for a day.

• Care
Not a true, true rant as it's just me being inpatient. But.....

I am going to ducking revolt if this baby doesn't come today. I was originally all about waiting and giving it time. It's not even that pregnancy was bad for me or that I'm super miserable. I'm physically doing great, tbh. But we've done the 40.5 weeks of waiting. I realized over the weekend that I'm over waiting. We have an induction appointment on Wednesday, but that's, like, 88 hours away.

So could Baby Bat figure their shenanigans out today?

• Care
Reactions: 12 users

I am going to ducking revolt if this baby doesn't come today. I was originally all about waiting and giving it time. It's not even that pregnancy was bad for me or that I'm super miserable. I'm physically doing great, tbh. But we've done the 40.5 weeks of waiting. I realized over the weekend that I'm over waiting. We have an induction appointment on Wednesday, but that's, like, 88 hours away.

Sending all the good vibes for BatBaby to figure out that 6/13 would be a fantastic birthday because they’d have Friday the Thirteenth birthdays every now and then 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

@battie lol welcome to late term pregnancy! (Or not, hopefully you graduate soon). First babies are often happy to cook for a long time. My sister finally convinced her OB to do a membrane sweep at 41w! Even though I did not have to wait that long because of there being two, it was a common theme for all my Feb 2020 group mamas to be. I’m glad you’re doing well though. Hang in there.

I was 100% ready to be done with both of my pregnancies and also had membrane sweeps done at 39 weeks because I was that impatient. Had both of my kids within 48 hours of the sweep so... something to consider?

(FYI it's painful to do the sweep no fun at all but if it helps convince the baby that its time to come out...)

We have an induction appointment Wednesday at 5pm (pending no changes), which would put us at 40 weeks, 6 days. :) I just didn't realize how impatient I would become this last weekend. And today is my husband's birthday and we were low key hoping for matching birthdays 🤣

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
We have an induction appointment Wednesday at 5pm (pending no changes), which would put us at 40 weeks, 6 days. :) I just didn't realize how impatient I would become this last weekend. And today is my husband's birthday and we were low key hoping for matching birthdays 🤣

So my mom told me that she saw her Dr when she was pregnant with me and they had said they'd induce on Monday if I didn't show up over the weekend. My dad's birthday was Monday so they were fine with that. I decided I wanted my own damn birthday so I showed up Friday instead.

So maybe baby is waiting in order to have their own birthday. :rofl:

• Haha
Waiting for the overcooked baby to come out is the wooooorst!!! Well lucky for you, the baby will be out before you have to spend the entire summer 3rd trimester pregnant no matter when baby comes. Silver linings :)

I was so excited because I was like 3cm dilated weeks before my due date and my OB told me for a first timer that’s a great sign and he’d be surprised if I needed an induction. Then I was in prodromal labor for a good two weeks and every night it seemed like it was THE NIGHT. Guess who needed the induction……

• Care
The owner of the FOURTH patient I diagnosed with cancer tonight (likely carcinomatosis and the liver was absolutely loaded with nodules on ultrasound) sob-laughed and said she can't imagine having my job, with all the bad news I have to deliver.

Gotta admit, that definitely struck a chord this night of all nights. What a sad, horrible ****show I'm directing.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 13 users
The owner of the FOURTH patient I diagnosed with cancer tonight (likely carcinomatosis and the liver was absolutely loaded with nodules on ultrasound) sob-laughed and said she can't imagine having my job, with all the bad news I have to deliver.

Gotta admit, that definitely struck a chord this night of all nights. What a sad, horrible ****show I'm directing.
alright world, seriously, what the ****.

why did my sub 1 year old ehrlichia/anaplasma positive dog w/ minimal platelets just decide to ****ING DIE after eating snacks out of my hand two hours ago and resting comfortably all night?

you suck, I'm going to bed. :thumbdown:

• Care
So one of my dogs needs antibiotics. We don't carry the correct size for her in clinic so I send out a prescription with the intent of using a goodrx coupon. Call the pharmacy in advance to check if they'll accept it for a pet rx. They think it'll be fine. Well, I show up and they insist they can't run the coupon without an NPI which of course does not exist for this rx. I call goodrx and they're completely useless in helping and essentially just tell me (after half an hour) that it won't work so try another pharmacy. I call the pharmacies in advance because if I'm going to another one I don't want to show up and find myself in the same situation. Well, one of them had no idea if it would work and the other just assumed it wouldn't. But we're looking at like 100 bucks retail price for this rx which is ridiculous. So I finally find out that costco has the rx for a reasonable price before discount and just move it over there... and costco runs the goodrx coupon without me even asking and I should be be able to pick it up tomorrow. Such a headache.

Oh and also my young dog now has kennel cough (probably picked up at a show last week) so here's hoping the older two are spared.

• Care
So one of my dogs needs antibiotics. We don't carry the correct size for her in clinic so I send out a prescription with the intent of using a goodrx coupon. Call the pharmacy in advance to check if they'll accept it for a pet rx. They think it'll be fine. Well, I show up and they insist they can't run the coupon without an NPI which of course does not exist for this rx. I call goodrx and they're completely useless in helping and essentially just tell me (after half an hour) that it won't work so try another pharmacy. I call the pharmacies in advance because if I'm going to another one I don't want to show up and find myself in the same situation. Well, one of them had no idea if it would work and the other just assumed it wouldn't. But we're looking at like 100 bucks retail price for this rx which is ridiculous. So I finally find out that costco has the rx for a reasonable price before discount and just move it over there... and costco runs the goodrx coupon without me even asking and I should be be able to pick it up tomorrow. Such a headache.

Oh and also my young dog now has kennel cough (probably picked up at a show last week) so here's hoping the older two are spared.
It’s so dependent on the pharmacy staff (except for Walmart who will not take goodrx coupons for pets no matter what). Super worthwhile to find the pharmacy in your area that is pet friendly. There’s a cvs I know that is amazing. The staff will proactively look for the best discount program including goodrx for each pet prescription I send in.

Costco is generally super cheap and you don’t even need to be a member to use their pharmacy. I like that they carry a lot of animal labeled products too. If you live in the land of wegman’s, they’re pretty good too. Same thing, also carries pet products.

Successfully moved 6 hours away with minimal casualties to our belongings!

That is, however, until I went to unpack things this morning and inadvertently stepped on and cracked our flat screen TV. Luckily it was given to us for free as a hand-me-down, but I am still cringing that I did that. :bang:

• Care
It’s so dependent on the pharmacy staff (except for Walmart who will not take goodrx coupons for pets no matter what). Super worthwhile to find the pharmacy in your area that is pet friendly. There’s a cvs I know that is amazing. The staff will proactively look for the best discount program including goodrx for each pet prescription I send in.

Costco is generally super cheap and you don’t even need to be a member to use their pharmacy. I like that they carry a lot of animal labeled products too. If you live in the land of wegman’s, they’re pretty good too. Same thing, also carries pet products.

My Walmart here takes a GoodRx for my dog's prescription. It's just a bit of a pain every year when I renew it and have to get a new coupon, and have to call GoodRx to find one that works for dogs because the normal one you can look up on the site doesn't work for veterinary patients.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I dont know on what page we were ranting about recruiters contacting us outside of business hours. I just got a text message at my PERSONAL number from a recruiter who is an RVT AND its 950pm at night. No clue how they got my number. Brought to you by the letters W,T and F😡

Replied with a professional-this practice is very unprofessional pls remove me and proceeded to block the number🙃

• Angry
I dont know on what page we were ranting about recruiters contacting us outside of business hours. I just got a text message at my PERSONAL number from a recruiter who is an RVT AND its 950pm at night. No clue how they got my number. Brought to you by the letters W,T and F😡

Replied with a professional-this practice is very unprofessional pls remove me and proceeded to block the number🙃
I got a Facebook message AND Instagram follow request from a VetIQ recruiter. LEAVE ME ALONE ON SOCIAL MEDIA.

• Love
Fireworks. That's the rant.

okay and my poor drugged up dog hiding under the bed because he can't escape from the scary booms and my heart is so sad for him

• Care
Fireworks. That's the rant.

okay and my poor drugged up dog hiding under the bed because he can't escape from the scary booms and my heart is so sad for him
I’ll second this.

July 4th is the worst holiday and no one will convince me otherwise.

WELL MY ****ING PIECE OF **** FATHER IS TRYING TO SAY I GAVE HIM COVID BECAUSE I WAS SYMPTOMATIC FIRST EVEN THOUGH HE WAS ****ING EXPOSED. I HAVE BEEN WEARING A MASK IN PUBKIC FOR TWO ****ING YEARS. AND HE HAS NOT BEEN SINCE MICHIGAN AND FLORIDA DROPPED MASK MANDATES. HE WENT ON A ****ING BOAT TRIP AND FRIENDS OF HIS WERE THERE AND NOT ISOLATING AND HE JUST ****ING REFUSES TO BELIEVE HIS PIECE OF **** FRIENDS COULD HAVE POSSIBLY GIVEN IT TO HIM. YOU ARE ****ING CONTAGIOUS BEFORE YOU ARE SYMPTOMATIC AND EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT INCUBATION PERIODS.

• Care

Sorry, this is so frustrating, especially when you've been following all the precautions! I got knocked down during the big omicron surge at the beginning of the year even though I wore N95s everywhere and I was so mad. Even more mad because I was soooo sick despite being vaccinated and omicron supposedly being more mild, meanwhile my parents got ****ing delta and barely had headcolds lol

It looks like there's another big COVID spike happening right now (I read something about omicron subvariants maybe?), so it's not surprising that somebody going around maskless in hotbed areas brought it back to you, but still sucks. Feel better

• Care
My dad went on a ****ing 21 mile bike ride yesterday and a kayak today and I can’t even go up a ****ing set of stairs without getting winded since I already had asthma (which is why I was still being very careful and wearing my KN95s too).

• Care
Fulfilling CE requirements for license renewal is soooooooo expensive! And that's on top of the crazy $500 renewal fees for my state....:bang:

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Is that not covered in your contract?
My contract only gives me $500 allowance to cover CE, licensing, subscriptions, etc. The amount only covers my state renewal fees, so CE will be all out of pocket :(

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user