RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My contract only gives me $500 allowance to cover CE, licensing, subscriptions, etc. The amount only covers my state renewal fees, so CE will be all out of pocket :(
I believe vetfolio, clinicians brief, dvm360, and some of the vet companies all offer free CE online! I think at least maybe zoetis, elanco, and Royal Canin do? Hills might too? Not sure if your state requires a certain number of in person hours or anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I do think it’s absolutely ridiculous that your work essentially only covers your license renewal though. The license should be covered separately from the CE and subscriptions money.

Reactions: 7 users
I do think it’s absolutely ridiculous that your work essentially only covers your license renewal though. The license should be covered separately from the CE and subscriptions money.
Absolutely. Especially with the way the job market is right now: get all that money written into your contract.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
cries in part-timer with no extra benefits

Luckily my CE mostly comes from conferences that my lab reimburses me for since I'm presenting. But yeah there are a lot of ways to get free CE. How many in person hours do you need? You should be able to get some from lunch n learns with drug reps too if your clinic is able to host those.

Agree it's ridiculous for them to say the $500 covers licensing, CE, and all that when it only actually covers licensing.

cries in part-timer with no extra benefits

Luckily my CE mostly comes from conferences that my lab reimburses me for since I'm presenting. But yeah there are a lot of ways to get free CE. How many in person hours do you need? You should be able to get some from lunch n learns with drug reps too if your clinic is able to host those.

Agree it's ridiculous for them to say the $500 covers licensing, CE, and all that when it only actually covers licensing.
Could you ask for at least license fees or similar even though you are part time? I am going to start part timing next month and asked for them to pay for my license renewal and DEA license and they said they'd pay for it.

Reactions: 4 users
Feeling upset and betrayed today. A few days ago a crappy client accused me of discrimination and launched a bunch of petty insults at my looks via corporate complaint form. This ruined my time off and made me feel so physically ill that I took a day off (which I never do). I came back in today to find that they basically gave all of my work away for free and comped a new appointment with one of my colleagues. Spoke with my supervisor and PM, told them that I don’t feel supported. They offered me platitudes and advice to tone down the negativity.

I don’t understand this weird masochistic drive to reward bad clients at the expense of disrespecting and alienating your veterinarians.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 15 users
When it's a hot week and your a/c decides this is the time to quit -_-

Wait you get a/c? The apartment I just moved into does not have it and I’m currently trying to sleep drenched in sweat. And no the landlord did not explicitly say no a/c… maybe I should have asked…

• Care
  • Wow
Wait you get a/c? The apartment I just moved into does not have it and I’m currently trying to sleep drenched in sweat. And no the landlord did not explicitly say no a/c… maybe I should have asked…
Are you allowed to put in your own window ac? Would still suck to have to buy one, but they’re at least under $200 for a smaller room one 😕

Reactions: 1 user
Are you allowed to put in your own window ac? Would still suck to have to buy one, but they’re at least under $200 for a smaller room one

Received confirmation to do so yesterday. Still have to buy it (probably won’t. I have a good box fan). Also have to set up my own internet??? Like what I’m just gonna call an ISP and ask to install a router???? In a house I don’t own??? I hate renting officially

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Received confirmation to do so yesterday. Still have to buy it (probably won’t. I have a good box fan). Also have to set up my own internet??? Like what I’m just gonna call an ISP and ask to install a router???? In a house I don’t own??? I hate renting officially
Wait is it not normal to install your own wifi? If you need help, I’m sure Strog on the discord server could help you. Or @Zenge142

I had to get my own set up when I moved into an apartment for vet school that didn’t include internet as part of the rent. It’s pretty easy and you can DIY it with the company sending you the parts or buying your own or you can have a tech install for you instead (which is what I did and what I also did in my house)

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought a nice router last year so I was able to use that at my new place so I didn’t have to pay to rent the company’s equipment
I also recommend doing this. Much better than renting from the company.

Reactions: 6 users
Wow ok I guess I’ve just had it easy lmao I find it so strange to set up your own but it seems like the consensus. The more you know

• Care
My corporate dropped my son from my health insurance because I haven't submitted his birth certificate. My state is taking a minimum of 2-3 months to process birth certificates. I told them this weeks ago and emailed in the initial physical exam, which included his date and time of birth. So now I have to do a run around to get him back on. 😑

• Angry
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
My corporate dropped my son from my health insurance because I haven't submitted his birth certificate. My state is taking a minimum of 2-3 months to process birth certificates. I told them this weeks ago and emailed in the initial physical exam, which included his date and time of birth. So now I have to do a run around to get him back on. 😑
Health insurance is such a scam. :/ so sorry.

• Care
Figured out the confusion: filled out the birth certificate info in hospital and the nurse took it at discharge. Turns out she was not supposed to take the form; I was supposed to take it to the health department. So the paperwork was never submitted to begin with. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Now I'm at the hospital to get paperwork that says he was born here and I'm his mom. And I filed for his birth certificate as soon as I heard that it wasn't filed for at all.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
Figured out the confusion: filled out the birth certificate info in hospital and the nurse took it at discharge. Turns out she was not supposed to take the form; I was supposed to take it to the health department. So the paperwork was never submitted to begin with. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Now I'm at the hospital to get paperwork that says he was born here and I'm his mom. And I filed for his birth certificate as soon as I heard that it wasn't filed for at all.
That's really frustrating. Sounds like they need to do some training with their nurses.

That is incredibly ridiculous. I agree that someone needs to do a bit more training. Hopefully everything gets sorted quickly and he’s reinstated ASAP

I'm generally very chill with what clients and coworkers want to call me. I'm happy to go by my first name, last name, Dr. lastname, Dr. firstname, whatever. As long as you are respectful you can call me anything.

But the level of inner "go f yourself" rage I felt when a male client decided to call me Ms. Lastname in an appointment yesterday was truly impressive.

• Angry
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
I just found out I am allergic to peanuts with some routine allergy testing to restart shots for my environmental allergies and I am pretty devastated. Peanut butter and Reese’s are some of my favorite foods (and pb was a safe food) and now I can no longer have them. I’ve never had issues with peanut butter in the past so my old allergist never tested for foods but my new one decided to today.

• Care
I just found out I am allergic to peanuts with some routine allergy testing to restart shots for my environmental allergies and I am pretty devastated. Peanut butter and Reese’s are some of my favorite foods (and pb was a safe food) and now I can no longer have them. I’ve never had issues with peanut butter in the past so my old allergist never tested for foods but my new one decided to today.
Are you okay with tree nuts? I'm allergic to all nuts so can't comment on the tastiness, but they do make other nut butters and chocolate/nut candies that other people have sworn are delicious.

• Care
Are you okay with tree nuts? I'm allergic to all nuts so can't comment on the tastiness, but they do make other nut butters and chocolate/nut candies that other people have sworn are delicious.
I mildly reacted to cashews and almonds but the allergist said I don’t need to avoid tree nuts, just peanuts

• Care
WOW ITS JUST BEEN AN ABSOLUTE GARBAGE DAY. I’m having a fence put in for my dogs. One opening is supposed to be for a 5 foot wide gate. I’m almost positive that both are four foot openings.
Edit: they are both four foot gates they were sent with and the office didn’t tell the crew about the change order that was a week ago 🙃 I have someone who mows my lawn because of my back and has a riding mower so it NEEDS to be a 5 foot gate on one side 🙃

They also cut my internet line.

So I can’t even watch tv (I have a tv streaming service vs cable) and I don’t get great cell service here so on my phone without wifi isn’t ideal.

Can this day just be over please

Last edited:
  • Care
I’m so sorry you’ve had such a horrible day. Sending you lots of virtual hugs and I hope things improve soon!
Ghost Hug GIF

• Care
Quote snipped

Had a similar thing happen with an orphan pup one of my techs had been caring for not that long ago. She was doing okay and then just started screaming, wouldn't eat, couldn't get her to calm down. Tried pain meds but they worked for a couple hours before she was inconsolable again. Not the same I know since I wasn't the one caring for her. Such a sad situation though. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Sending hugs <3

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else ever request a colleague’s help to read radiographs then over a month later get a note from the same colleague about the same radiograph series and, suddenly, there might be a bone lesion after the patient finally comes back in for a recheck on your day off?

(Probably an honest mistake, but still doesn’t help me rebuild my trust in my workplace after a string of similar incidents where I’ve reached out for help and then received heavy criticism for making a mistake or missing something.)

• Care
Anyone else ever request a colleague’s help to read radiographs then over a month later get a note from the same colleague about the same radiograph series and, suddenly, there might be a bone lesion after the patient finally comes back in for a recheck on your day off?

(Probably an honest mistake, but still doesn’t help me rebuild my trust in my workplace after a string of similar incidents where I’ve reached out for help and then received heavy criticism for making a mistake or missing something.)
yikes. everyone makes mistakes and your colleagues/workplace shouldn't be levying heavy criticism on you, they should be supportive. a good boss helps you grow.

I’d want to be petty and be like “Huh! Do you remember seeing that when I asked for your help reading Fluffy’s rads a couple months ago? Do you think we missed it or do you think it’s new?” But in all seriousness, I’m sorry, that’s a rough feeling.

I’d want to be petty and be like “Huh! Do you remember seeing that when I asked for your help reading Fluffy’s rads a couple months ago? Do you think we missed it or do you think it’s new?” But in all seriousness, I’m sorry, that’s a rough feeling.
Honestly, I think that I’m too tired to get petty. This vet is the most experienced in the clinic and I don’t blame him for not spending a ton of time looking at the rads previously - he’s still new to this practice too and just as busy, if not busier, than I am. Tomorrow, I’m going to talk to him and see if he can show me what he saw on the rads and let me know how the conversation went with the client.

Overall I’m just getting very frustrated with my workplace. I keep getting asked to do more with less (less time, less management on site, less support staff) when I’m still just a year out of school and have been given next to no training opportunities - hell, I asked to have time blocked off to observe or assist in an enucleation one afternoon, but they overbooked my schedule anyway. I don’t ask for much, but still feel like I’m constantly fighting for some boundaries and basic expectations.

I’m trying to give myself a month to see if I can get things to change or not before I start planning the next step of my career.

• Care
Honestly, I think that I’m too tired to get petty. This vet is the most experienced in the clinic and I don’t blame him for not spending a ton of time looking at the rads previously - he’s still new to this practice too and just as busy, if not busier, than I am. Tomorrow, I’m going to talk to him and see if he can show me what he saw on the rads and let me know how the conversation went with the client.

Overall I’m just getting very frustrated with my workplace. I keep getting asked to do more with less (less time, less management on site, less support staff) when I’m still just a year out of school and have been given next to no training opportunities - hell, I asked to have time blocked off to observe or assist in an enucleation one afternoon, but they overbooked my schedule anyway. I don’t ask for much, but still feel like I’m constantly fighting for some boundaries and basic expectations.

I’m trying to give myself a month to see if I can get things to change or not before I start planning the next step of my career.
Is it possible to get a radiologist's interpretation? Sorry you're dealing with that, I would be very frustrated as well.

Is it possible to get a radiologist's interpretation? Sorry you're dealing with that, I would be very frustrated as well.
Only if my practice paid for it. The client has consistently declined sending the rads out (I asked when they were initially taken and my colleague brought it up at the more recent visit). Ideally, we’d have to take better images to fully appreciate where the lesion is.

The crazy be extra strong recently. Let me give neopolydex from my other pet to this one eventhough I have no idea if it'll melt the eye. Or let me adjust the mineralocorticoid dose on my own after an addisonian crisis but before my recheck. Or my dogs not doing better despite you giving me meds on Thursday and I never gave them over the weekend but he's really sick today.🤦‍♀️ my favorite question is do you think they'll be OK? Idk Karen let me get my magical crystal ball out from my secret lair and tell ya...🙄

So heres a meme😅
FB_IMG_1661827732410.jpg

Last edited:
  • Care
We're having a week long triple digits heat wave in most of our areas. Inland temps are 110+. Yesterday we had several dogs that came in with heat stroke. 2 of them DOA. Why on earth would people go hiking in the middle of a heat wave, let alone bringing their fury friends with them??? Really wanted to scream at the parents!!!

• Care
We're having a week long triple digits heat wave in most of our areas. Inland temps are 110+. Yesterday we had several dogs that came in with heat stroke. 2 of them DOA. Why on earth would people go hiking in the middle of a heat wave, let alone bringing their fury friends with them??? Really wanted to scream at the parents!!!
I worked a shift with four heat stroke patients a couple weeks ago. One brachy who had to be intubated on presentation, the other three hypoglycemic and petechiated and two of them half dead. I'm so over the summer.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Why on earth would people go hiking in the middle of a heat wave, let alone bringing their fury friends with them??? Really wanted to scream at the parents!!!
Sadly, they don’t realize that this can harm their pet especially ones not used to the extreme temps OR the hiking in general. They think “oh he’s fine outside he’ll be fine on this hike in extreme heat and I would know if he’s getting too hot because I would be too.”

• Care
Apparently, I ran afoul with a rescue person because I dared to suggest that a unvaccinated, hypersalivating, neurologic old street cat should be euthanized and submitted to the state for testing. Even if I could have eliminated rabies from the differentials I still would have recommended euthanasia due to the horrible condition of the cat.

The public health nerd in me finds these encounters frustrating, but also darkly amusing.

• Care
  • Okay...
This is my first rotation where I'll end up working 13-15 days straight. The ironic thing is it's one of my friend's favorite rotations, but there aren't usually in-patients and we've had 4 so far. The problem is for whatever reason this particular department won't let the students divide up weekend patient care. It makes 0 sense, every other department let's students divide up the weekends however they want to. Anyways, I'm bitter and exhausted.
Makes me almost not want to do an internship, but I think I'm just going to be extremely picky about internships and pray for one with a good work/life balance?? Does that exist? I generally don't mind putting in long hours but would like at least one day off per week...

• Care
Day two of my own appointments (vs stealing some from a different doctors schedule) and I already have a no call no show 🙃 PLUS an “urgent” new puppy visit squeezed in where the breeder required an exam 72 hours after purchase and I’m sure the owner knew about prior to yesterday when they picked the dog up and called us on the drive home.

• Care
Lol update: their painter wasn’t late or something so they called like 10 min before and said they weren’t coming so idk when they’re getting their dog in or where 🤷🏻‍♀️
So basically two no shows today 🙃

• Care
I think I'm just going to be extremely picky about internships and pray for one with a good work/life balance?? Does that exist?
I have yet to hear of one tbh. Some where work/life balance is better or worse but none where it's like... Good.

Reactions: 3 users