RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have yet to hear of one tbh. Some where work/life balance is better or worse but none where it's like... Good.
Yeah, I feel like I had a “good” internship in that we didn’t have to come in on days off and we actually got two days off a week, but we still worked 70-100 hour weeks. It was like five solid days where all we did was work then go home to fall into bed, one day off to catch up on sleep and chores, and one day off to maybe do something fun or have a life. I wouldn’t call it good work life balance at all even though it was better than most.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
I have been SO careful for the last almost 3 years bc of having an autoimmune disease, and I just tested positive for COVID after I had some chest tightness and a light cough and tested out of paranoia. I'm almost sure I got it at the state fair when I was working the livestock birthing area, and I'm sooooo sad. I feel like I failed somehow 😭

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
I have been SO careful for the last almost 3 years bc of having an autoimmune disease, and I just tested positive for COVID after I had some chest tightness and a light cough and tested out of paranoia. I'm almost sure I got it at the state fair when I was working the livestock birthing area, and I'm sooooo sad. I feel like I failed somehow 😭
Not a failure on your part at all. Quite amazing that you went this long without getting it really. Hope you feel better quickly, friendo ❤️

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At least I got cute pictures with smol farm animals for my trouble.

CBA600AB-29CA-41E9-ACB0-DC9A31CADC2F.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hi pls ask your doctor if they think Paxlovid would be okay for you to have/a good idea. Sending all my hugs 💜💜💜💜 I got it in June from my dad stopping caring and being careful and I have asthma so was also being very careful 😕

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Found out today that I have to work half a day on Christmas Eve. So unless my parents want to pay for a Christmas Eve plane ticket for me, I will not be spending Christmas with my family (including my cousins who I only see every other year for the most part). This will be the first year in my entire life not being with my family for Christmas. I am very sad. It is my absolute FAVORITE holiday.

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no! Is it vomiting? Because that happened to me the first 3 days and then got better.
Nope, although I did that once yesterday from coughing too hard. This is generalized pruritus that started after my first dose, and then progressed to urticaria after my second dose, womp

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
On the brighter side, I do feel markedly better today than I felt yesterday, other than the fatigue which is KILLER. My fitbit says I've slept 18 of the last 24 hours. But I don't think I've had a fever today.

Reactions: 8 users
Hello all! My daughter has applied to multiple schools for the 2023 cycle. I am her "administrative assistant" Haha!.....but....VMCAS counts Ds and Fs in the GPA calculations???? She retook the low classes and passed but GOD! What is the incentive to retake low classes if the Ds and Fs stay with you for life when applying to vet schools??? Please any insight or input is welcome!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! My daughter has applied to multiple schools for the 2023 cycle. I am her "administrative assistant" Haha!.....but....VMCAS counts Ds and Fs in the GPA calculations???? She retook the low classes and passed but GOD! What is the incentive to retake low classes if the Ds and Fs stay with you for life when applying to vet schools??? Please any insight or input is welcome!!!
It all depends on the school. Some schools allow for grade replacement and those D's and F's disappear. But other schools average the grades. You'd need to contact each of the schools she has applied to know what their policy is.

Not trying to come off as a Monday morning quarterback, but that is why it is so important to try to avoid the D's and F's. If you think you're headed for a D, it's better to withdraw and retake the class than have it impact your gpa. That said, many applicants have successfully overcome low gpa's. If it's just a couple of D's/F's and the retake is an A, the end result is like having a couple of C's on your transcript which is not the end of the world. It might take more than one application cycle and expanding your school search. Best of luck to your daughter!

Reactions: 6 users
It all depends on the school. Some schools allow for grade replacement and those D's and F's disappear. But other schools average the grades. You'd need to contact each of the schools she has applied to know what their policy is.

Not trying to come off as a Monday morning quarterback, but that is why it is so important to try to avoid the D's and F's. If you think you're headed for a D, it's better to withdraw and retake the class than have it impact your gpa. That said, many applicants have successfully overcome low gpa's. If it's just a couple of D's/F's and the retake is an A, the end result is like having a couple of C's on your transcript which is not the end of the world. It might take more than one application cycle and expanding your school search. Best of luck to your daughter!
Thank you so much for taking the time to apply, and I absolutely agree about avoiding the Ds and Fs. I will advise her to go back to each of the schools she applied to, to see how they calculate the retakes. (To get a true list of where she has a chance)

GPA is important but also for some schools showing that you are able to handle difficult material/that class by retaking a class and going from a D/F/C to an A is helpful as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Saw ~7yr P on Friday for an episode of "falling over and unresponsive with urination". Pe was fine. Bw was unremarkable. Started on phenobarbital. P died Sunday, no changes in behavior or anything between apt and death per O. I know there's nothing I did wrong or really couldve changed but it still really sucks. Especially because everything about the p on Friday would've suggested it was going to be "fine" for an indefinite amount of time. We did discuss the possibility of a brain tumor but still.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Saw ~7yr P on Friday for an episode of "falling over and unresponsive with urination". Pe was fine. Bw was unremarkable. Started on phenobarbital. P died Sunday, no changes in behavior or anything between apt and death per O. I know there's nothing I did wrong or really couldve changed but it still really sucks. Especially because everything about the p on Friday would've suggested it was going to be "fine" for an indefinite amount of time. We did discuss the possibility of a brain tumor but still.
i think the cases where you don't get answers are the hardest to process. sometimes outcomes are just sucky and there's nothing you can do about that.

Reactions: 6 users
I had a similar case last week. Presented to our overnight doctor for "randomly screaming outside" but owner didn't actually see anything and was clinically normal by the time she presented to the clinic. Maybe a bit of back pain? but hard because she was also crawling with fleas, alopecia/excoriated skin (intact, lots of long term management stuff...) but nothing immediately life threatening visible. Declined doing any workup.

Came back to the clinic on my shift four hours later lateral and unresponsive, super neurologically inappropriate, BG of 20 and trying to die. Very hard conversation about how we can only treat what we can see and cyclical problems are difficult even in human medicine.

That is to say, I hate that for you and your patient, and I totally understand the feeling of "what the hell" when blindsided by things not going the way they should 99% of the time. It sucks. A lot.

• Care
I'm feeling miserable right now. My health problems are so enigmatic and it's making me concerned whether I even have a future in vet med because of how much I can't do. Just super mega sucks.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
One of my foster kittens might have FIP. I thought seeing them go off to their forever homes would be tough, but the thought of him not getting a forever home is so much worse. They were seemingly healthy when I got them a few weeks ago and for the past week he's had so much diarrhea, vomit, and sneezing. And now fluid in his abdominal area. His sister is totally fine. We still gave them dewormer and treated for coccidia but nothing has changed. I love them like my own and it's going to be heartbreaking if he doesn't make it. He and his sis are inseparable too which makes me sad for her if she loses her brother. I'm just focused on giving him all of the love and keeping him as comfortable as I can

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
One of my foster kittens might have FIP. I thought seeing them go off to their forever homes would be tough, but the thought of him not getting a forever home is so much worse. They were seemingly healthy when I got them a few weeks ago and for the past week he's had so much diarrhea, vomit, and sneezing. And now fluid in his abdominal area. His sister is totally fine. We still gave them dewormer and treated for coccidia but nothing has changed. I love them like my own and it's going to be heartbreaking if he doesn't make it. He and his sis are inseparable too which makes me sad for her if she loses her brother. I'm just focused on giving him all of the love and keeping him as comfortable as I can
Would y'all be able to join the FIP warriors group? It would be a significant cost financially, but thought I would throw the thought out there.

Reactions: 1 users
Would y'all be able to join the FIP warriors group? It would be a significant cost financially, but thought I would throw the thought out there.
I did join! I already got a cost estimate and it's honestly really doable. My worry is the legality.. Is there any way this could affect me getting my DVM or harm the vets involved?
I was told by the org that they cannot be associated with it and that I have to adopt him /find him another adopter if we want to treat it. And that I could surrender him back once the treatment is over. I was also told that it would be very hard to adopt him out after this too so I think the best route would be to find him a permanent caretaker also willing to treat it. I would adopt him if my SO was okay with it :(

I did join! I already got a cost estimate and it's honestly really doable. My worry is the legality.. Is there any way this could affect me getting my DVM or harm the vets involved?
I was told by the org that they cannot be associated with it and that I have to adopt him /find him another adopter if we want to treat it. And that I could surrender him back once the treatment is over. I was also told that it would be very hard to adopt him out after this too so I think the best route would be to find him a permanent caretaker also willing to treat it. I would adopt him if my SO was okay with it :(
For what it’s worth, I specifically asked our professor about the legality of owners /possessing/ the GS drug in our lecture about FIP. As veterinarians, we cannot legally tell our clients to go get the drug and advise them in its use as it’s not an FDA approved medication. However, we were told that there are no legal risks to the owners in obtaining/possessing/using the drug on their own animals. It’s not an illicit controlled drug that’s banned in the US, it’s just not FDA approved.

I can’t imagine there is any risk to the group you’re fostering from either (just keep their vets out of discussions about direct use of the drug. They can still help with general supportive care). I know of many rescue organizations that have used it to treat FIP successfully and never faced any troubles for it. Personally, I say give the little guy a chance if it’s within financial possibility. Just don’t start selling it/ prescribing it to others/ guiding other people in how to use it, and the legal risk of personal use is extremely, extremely low. Best of luck with him, whatever happens. I’m sorry you are being put in such a tough position. Fostering can be such a rollercoaster of highs and lows. Hang in there!

Last edited:
As a vet, I've told multiple clients about the FIP warriors info. Yeah I guess "technically" it could cause trouble, but I also refuse to not tell owners about a possible treatment. I warn them about all the dangers it isn't approved, I can't assist with exact treatment, etc. And most people are just thankful.

I can't morally give a pet a death sentence knowing a treatment exists, even in that treatment is "not approved".

Reactions: 11 users
I can't morally give a pet a death sentence knowing a treatment exists, even in that treatment is "not approved".
This. I understand the FDA approval process exists for a reason, but coming from a shelter background, how on earth could we turn a blind eye to something that is overwhelmingly indicated to be helpful?
Heck, it's not using Ivermectin to try and treat COVID-19. I'm not willing to sacrifice cats' lives over bureaucratic red tape.
(I'm not actually a veterinarian lol, not even a student, so take that with a grain of salt)

Thank you all so much! It's tough because the main (or honestly only) person running the org is a vet so I want her to be in the loop of what's going on with him but don't want her to get in trouble. I'm tempted to just get the medicine myself and start treating him but I feel as only technically a foster parent to him that someone in the org should be aware that he's being treated yet the only person I could tell is a veterinarian.. Thoughts on this?

Little guy decided to eat today and dry food too, which made me happy. My boyfriend and I have agreed that once my bf has his doc appt with an allergist and gets some medication we can see how his allergy symptoms improve and if they do we will adopt the kitten and treat him ourselves. We just need him to keep going strong for a bit. I'm fine starting treatment with the kitty myself even if we do not adopt him, I just need to figure out if it's the right thing to do given that I feel the org should be in the loop & it's tough to do that given that the person in charge is a vet

Thank you all so much! It's tough because the main (or honestly only) person running the org is a vet so I want her to be in the loop of what's going on with him but don't want her to get in trouble. I'm tempted to just get the medicine myself and start treating him but I feel as only technically a foster parent to him that someone in the org should be aware that he's being treated yet the only person I could tell is a veterinarian.. Thoughts on this?

Little guy decided to eat today and dry food too, which made me happy. My boyfriend and I have agreed that once my bf has his doc appt with an allergist and gets some medication we can see how his allergy symptoms improve and if they do we will adopt the kitten and treat him ourselves. We just need him to keep going strong for a bit. I'm fine starting treatment with the kitty myself even if we do not adopt him, I just need to figure out if it's the right thing to do given that I feel the org should be in the loop & it's tough to do that given that the person in charge is a vet
I'd say you should either adopt (or find an adopter) and go through FIP warriors or continue fostering and following the org's recommendations. If you start treatment as a foster, you're inevitably going to have to face the organization at some point when you go "he's all better!" and they ask "okay, but how?"

The vet won’t get in trouble for just knowing that you’re treating the cat. Vets can and should direct clients to the FIP warriors page when FIP is diagnosed, and support owners with concerns while they treat FIP. It’s not taboo to acknowledge that it exists, that people use it, and that it’s the only known treatment for an otherwise 100% fatal disease. We just can’t prescribe GS or give guidance on how to use it exactly (dose, frequency, etc).

Personally I’d go talk to the vet if you can. Just be frank about it. Tell them that you’d like to treat the cat yourself, and make sure they’re comfortable with that. If they’re leery on the legality, maybe encourage them to look into the issue and assure them that you understand they are not prescribing or recommending GS to you, but you’d like to try on your own anyway. If they still won’t agree, maybe adopting and treating him personally is the best approach.

Reactions: 3 users
We have multiple patients at my hospital going through treatment. All we do is the regular bloodwork. Our records look like the following:

"Fluffy presented for recheck bloodwork for on going treatment of FIP. Client consulting with outside provider (FIP warriors organization) on treatment guidelines. Conveyed bloodwork results to owner and next recheck bloodwork scheduled."

Clients treating their own animals is not illegal because animals are property. Treatment just has to fall into local, state, and federal animal cruelty laws. The only legality issue on the part of a vet is physically prescribing the drug. It's totally fine for us to know what they're doing and facilitate bloodwork and such.

Reactions: 13 users
This is all so helpful. Idk why the vet acted like treating him had to be in secret and he couldn't be in the foster program if I did it on my own. We decided to just adopt him so we can provide him the care that he needs. I have a classmate who has treated FIP cats before so she's a good resource to have, but it's really reassuring to know that I can take him to the vet and be open about his FIP treatment. The adoption hasn't gone through yet but as soon as it does we will begin treatment:)
Here's a pic of the little guy, he's a heartbreaker 🥰
IMG-1050.JPG

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
The only way a vet could get in "trouble" is if someone reports them to the veterinary board over it. Which you're clearly not going to do. So meh.

Plus look at human medicine, they use a ton of not yet FDA approved treatments while doing clinical trials for new medications. Cancer treatments are often not FDA approved if the cancer gets to a certain state, many kids even are signed up on clinical trials.

And yes I get FIP warriors isn't a clinical trial but I don't see a big deal over vets mentioning it. Just don't rx it or give any dosing info and you should be fine.

I tell people about GS every time I suspect FIP. I haven't had anyone take me up on it yet, but I'd treat my own cats. (Actually, I'd have my partner order/"treat" my own cats so I didn't get involved legally, but still).

It took a death sentence to a very survivable problem. Obviously we don't really know recurrence or long term effects, but vs death...

One of my coworkers treated her cat and it recovered. She has posted about it on social media a couple times and seems to have no regrets.

Today has been a day, lol. Parked my car at school, turned it off and my key broke off in the ignition. I managed to get it out, but in the process I got something else stuck in there and it will not come out lol. So I guess I'm stranded at school until I can find somebody to take me home :laugh: I'll get lots of work done at least....

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Did poorly on my first Histology exam, feeling like I’ve lost my confidence.

• Care
Because of the hurricane our classes were cancelled last week (which was great!) but now this week we have to make up those classes so I’m at school every day from the crack of dawn until dusk and all our exams are clustered. I’m just tired hahah

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I’m at school every day from the crack of dawn until dusk
I feel that way without having any class cancellations so I can't imagine what you're going through. Hang in there

• Care
I feel that way without having any class cancellations so I can't imagine what you're going through. Hang in there
Thank you! You too! I saw your previous comment about histology. We just got finished with that class, it’s a lot of memorization. Not sure how y’all’s is set up but what helped me was anking all the terms and lab images!

I just found out I am allergic to peanuts with some routine allergy testing to restart shots for my environmental allergies and I am pretty devastated. Peanut butter and Reese’s are some of my favorite foods (and pb was a safe food) and now I can no longer have them. I’ve never had issues with peanut butter in the past so my old allergist never tested for foods but my new one decided to today.
HELLO I AM BACK WITH AN UPDATE

So I refused to accept a peanut allergy as real so I got a second opinion from U Michigan’s allergy department (went there even though it was a 2h+ drive each way because they have a food allergy clinic and the ability to do an oral food challenge if I needed one) AND SHE SAID I DO NOT HAVE A PEANUT ALLERGY BECAUSE I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FINE WHEN EATING THEM AND I CAN GO BACK TO EATING PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY AND LITERALLY WENT ACROSS THE STREET AFTER MY APPOINTMENT TO BUY A BAG OF REESES.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
HELLO I AM BACK WITH AN UPDATE

So I refused to accept a peanut allergy as real so I got a second opinion from U Michigan’s allergy department (went there even though it was a 2h+ drive each way because they have a food allergy clinic and the ability to do an oral food challenge if I needed one) AND SHE SAID I DO NOT HAVE A PEANUT ALLERGY BECAUSE I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FINE WHEN EATING THEM AND I CAN GO BACK TO EATING PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY AND LITERALLY WENT ACROSS THE STREET AFTER MY APPOINTMENT TO BUY A BAG OF REESES.
Sometimes you just gotta negotiate your way out of a medical condition :highfive: congratulations on the Reeses

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
And now to return to the true purpose of this thread

The way my clinic does discounts is really going to make submitting wellness stuff for the puppy to insurance DIFFICULT. They do them manually and one person calculates all the discounted things and manually adds a general “employee discount” to the invoice vs adjusting each line item or having an auto-applied discount. We get free labs and exams (lol I better get free exams) so I don’t get why we can’t just zero those out on the invoice (so it still updates reminders properly but then are not charged for them) and then just have an automatic percent off (bc I’m pretty sure I have a straight percentage off other things than exams and labs).
I’m *pretty sure* I’m over her limit for vaccines so it shouldn’t be the insurance company reimbursing me more than I paid for those or preventions, but I feel like they’re still gonna throw a fit when they see generic “employee discount” and -$XXX vs individually itemized 😩

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Care
Having a health scare and trying to apply to vet school is not my favorite storyline this year. All I can think is that I’ll get results that I have cancer and lose my chance at vet school.

• Care
Had an itch. Usually I tough these out but it was keeping me up and I was scratching a lot so I put some itch relief lotion on it.

This turned out to be a mistake as I am apparently allergic to the cream and I now have two very angry inflamed patches of skin. After 24 hours of home care it appears to only be worsening so I go to urgent care.

And the urgent care provider proceeds to spend all of 30 seconds with me, basically first refused to answer any questions about the steroid injection they wanted to give me then gave me several incorrect and conflicting answers when I asked so I asked if I could just take the oral steroids alone. This was followed up by them rather condescendingly telling me that the oral steroids will take longer to take effect (which I had already indicated I understood) and I left with a rx for 3 days worth of oral steroids which I am skeptical is enough to actually clear this up based on the last time I needed steroids for a considerably more minor rash and it took more like 6 days for it to clear up.

So... I'm itchy and miserable and wishing I'd just toughed out the initial itch.

• Care